View Full Version : Touch Stopping Sample Books from Appearing in Nook

Kycoo
08-29-2011, 09:14 PM
I apologize in advance if this question has been addressed before. I searched this site and the Internet and can't find an answer to my question.

I just purchased a Nook STR as my son keeps using my Kindle 3. I thought why not buy another ereader? I got the nook and am very happy with my purchase :thumbsup:. I have carpal tunnel syndrome and I find touching the screen to flip pages is much more comfortable than pressing a key.

When I first got the nook, I received some sample books automatically. I deleted them from my Nook Library on the BN website. Today, however, I received a sample book again. I can see a situation where I or my 10 year old would accidentally buy a sample book (that I did not ask for) or I would accidentally delete a book I purchased in trying to delete the sample book.

Is there a way to stop the sample books from appearing automatically in my Nook Library online? :help:

kezza
08-29-2011, 10:39 PM
I don't think this has been addressed here, and I am also annoyed by it. It didn't start happening on my nook until a week or two ago (I don't have wifi on all the time, so I can't give a specific date), and I've been using a nook since the first one was released. I bought a nook Touch a couple of months ago. This is the first time B&N have ever done something like this and it's VERY annoying and honestly makes me feel mildly violated.
If anybody has found a way to opt out of this sample book scheme, please post it so we can do the same!

linux_author
08-30-2011, 07:42 AM
i kill all unwanted processes/running apps on my Touch after turning on wifi - it's easy if you have 'upgraded' your Nook and use Open Advanced Task Killer

user_none
08-30-2011, 11:26 AM
I asked B&N support about the sample books when the STR first came out. I was told that there is no way to stop the sample books from being put into your library or sent to your Nook. Your only option is to delete them from your library on the web site then refresh your library on the Nook.

There is a setting on the Nook itself in the preferences to require your password to make a purchase with the Nook. This is your best bet for preventing accidental purchases.

Kycoo
08-30-2011, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the replies. As much as I love the nook hardware, this practice annoys me :angry:. It appears BN is using the nook for advertisement.

I guess I am going to just use my nook to read free epub books. For buying books, especially those my kids read, I will stick with Amazon. I love Amazon's practice so far, so no need to put up with BN.

SCION
08-30-2011, 01:24 PM
I don't recall seeing the samples when I had mine. I guess it was implemented sometime after the first few week of release? It's ridiculous that you can't opt out of the samples. Bad enough you can't delete anything from the device. Are the samples based on their horrible recommendations or does everyone receive the same samples at any given time? I stopped following the BN.com NOOK forum when I sold my device.

jgaiser
08-30-2011, 07:20 PM
Yep.. Starting to get pissed with automatic downloads of samples. Simplest way for *me* is to just not turn off wifi, download new books to PC, strip DRM and sideload.

Mellobob
08-30-2011, 08:44 PM
Yep.. Starting to get pissed with automatic downloads of samples. Simplest way for *me* is to just not turn off wifi, download new books to PC, strip DRM and sideload.

Not that I suggest stripping of DRM (I think it actually against the law in some places) ... but seems to be that B&N, in making it harder for folks to do what they want with the hardware they have paid for, will encourage folks to bypass DRM and root their devices.

Haven't they learned from the MP3 history yet ... and learned that the best route to discourage piracy is simply to lower the price of songs/books and make it easy to put on a device?

jgaiser
08-30-2011, 09:43 PM
Re: DRM

Since I'm not a pirate and don't make my books available on torrents, I have *no* guilt on stripping DRM from books I purchased. Whether it's legal or not (and I don't believe it's been tested in U.S. courts), I purchased a book, not a license. I will continue to strip DRM to provide myself with safe backups and the ability to format shift.

crashed
08-31-2011, 12:52 AM

Since I'm not a pirate and don't make my books available on torrents, I have *no* guilt on stripping DRM from books I purchased. Whether it's legal or not (and I don't believe it's been tested in U.S. courts), I purchased a book, not a license. I will continue to strip DRM to provide myself with safe backups and the ability to format shift.

Agreed!

As for the automatic sample downloads. I don't care for it, but I generally understand it, appears to be a form of revenue for BN I'm sure by advertising for the publishers, ect.

I'm imagining with a rooted Nook, it shouldn't be a problem to kill that "feature" if it bugs ya that much - would be a good reason to root.

Mellobob
08-31-2011, 09:44 PM

Just to be clear ... I wasn't suggesting you were a pirate! Just that B&N policy may be driving some to that vocation :)

As to buying a book or license ... I think you are wrong: you are getting a license. I'm not a lawyer, but I think that you probably agreed to that in one of the many readme files which came with the nook. If you'd bought a "book" you'd be able to sell it to someone else ...

tomsem
09-01-2011, 01:18 AM
Whatever the reason is, the practice is lamentable.

I don't know if it will change anything, but there's an option in 'Communication Preferences' to say 'No' to special offers, etc. I've turned it off, will see if it works.

But I keep wifi off almost entirely, so I may not know for awhile.

kezza
09-01-2011, 02:31 PM
Some have suggested that rooting and eliminating some processes will stop the practice, but the only way I could see that working is if you turn off library sync entirely. I don't think that BN are sending the books to the nook directly, they're being added to the ebook libraries associated with our accounts and then synced to the device when we sync the library. It is possible to "archive" these books from the nook itself, so at least we can get rid of them, I'd prefer if BN just didn't do it in the first place, though. I didn't pay less for my nook, why is it suddenly behaving as if ad-supported?

tomsem
09-02-2011, 02:50 PM
Whatever the reason is, the practice is lamentable.

I don't know if it will change anything, but there's an option in 'Communication Preferences' to say 'No' to special offers, etc. I've turned it off, will see if it works.

But I keep wifi off almost entirely, so I may not know for awhile.

It didn't work.

If I thought it would do any good, I'd send B&N feedback and ask them to at least provide an 'opt-out' option.

log
09-08-2011, 11:19 AM
Wow, that is really lame -- there should be a way to opt-out.

If they're going to do that, should have a Nook STR with Special Offers version similar to what Amazon is doing.

Artisan
09-10-2011, 09:19 AM
I might like it if it were giving me sample of books in which I might be interested, based on my ratings. It seems random, andi wish it would stop.

rdfry
09-12-2011, 10:40 PM
My understanding is when you register the NST it is in the user agreement that you agree to.

tomsem
09-13-2011, 12:10 AM
My understanding is when you register the NST it is in the user agreement that you agree to.

If you are referring to the 'Terms and Conditions', that is on the Nook itself (Settings, Device Info). 140 nook pages long, including 3rd party agreements. But I couldn't find anything like what you are referring to.

Even if it is in there somewhere, that in no way means it is a welcome or industry standard practice.

It would be totally different if the feature were there and I could 'opt in'. Some people, perversely or otherwise, like to view advertisements. I would not deny them the opportunity.

tamzilla
09-13-2011, 05:06 PM
Just out of curiosity, are these just random book samples that are downloading to your nook all the time or are these the samples that B&N adds to your account when you first register your device? So far, the only unwanted samples I've had were the ones BN sends to to the device when it's registered. I've had to reregister the device twice (once because the "What to what to read next" area only had one entry (some erotica book) and wouldn't update and once because I had to reset my account password) and BN automatically added a couple of samples to my account each time I reregistered.

Reregistering the device is a pain, and you will have a couple of samples to delete afterwards, but it might be worth a try if you are continually getting unwanted samples. Could be some setting on your device didn't reset and the BN website keeps thinking that your device is new. I hope BN isn't going to start sending samples out all of the time - the "what to read next" area is as much advertising I want to see.

user_none
09-13-2011, 06:07 PM
Just out of curiosity, are these just random book samples that are downloading to your nook all the time or are these the samples that B&N adds to your account when you first register your device?

Randomly. Not counting when I first registered my Nook I've had samples added to my library and sent to my Nook twice now. Not been able to discern a pattern of when or what (other than first registering a Nook) causes the samples to be added.

tamzilla
09-13-2011, 09:15 PM
Randomly. Not counting when I first registered my Nook I've had samples added to my library and sent to my Nook twice now. Not been able to discern a pattern of when or what (other than first registering a Nook) causes the samples to be added.

That's what it sounded like. Luckily, I haven't had any unwanted samples appear in my account (so far). I do remember that last year a very similar sounding issue affected some nook users. At the time, BN customer service said the problem was caused by "server issues" that they had fixed. I wonder if BN accidentally recreated the problem when they recently redesigned their website?

Verne Bunsen
09-14-2011, 04:48 AM
Man, I just bought my STR today and already had to remove unwanted "Sample" books from it twice. If this is part of the Nook experience, it's a guaranteed deal breaker. She'll be going right back where she came from.

ddandb
09-19-2011, 02:28 PM
The sample books (ads) were kind of a let down to see.
When I compared the Kindle and the Nook, The Kindle had two of the basic models available. One for $119 that featured ads and one for $139 that didn't. They were very up front about it. I wish Nook had been as equally upfront.

Kycoo
09-19-2011, 03:32 PM
I haven't received any new unsolicited sample since my original post of Aug. 30 :chinscratch:

By the way, I read on both the Kindle 3 and the STR and the STR is definitely way more ergonomic to use. With my wrists problems, my body tells me right away if something is not ergonomic. The STR is lighter and generally just more comfortable to hold and turn pages. I love the rubberized skin of the STR. I can read with this ereader for hours.

But if BN does not stop this practice of sending unsolicited samples, I am jumping ship as soon as Amazon comes up with a touch Kindle e-ink.

Wolf3
09-19-2011, 10:40 PM
I just got my Nook 2 tonight, and yeah, I've had random books appear. I can't even figure out a fast way to delete stuff...the library interface SEEMS worse than the Kindle at first glance...seems like it would get super confusing after a bit when you have your own books mixed in with a ton of other random stuff.

Verne Bunsen
09-19-2011, 11:13 PM
There is no "fast" way to delete the junk they push on you, you must log onto your BN account on a computer and manually delete each one.It's not a big deal, but the fact of the matter is you shouldn't have to. It really chaps my ass that after paying full price for the Nook itself, then paying for the books on it, I should have to deal with advertising as though it were an ad-supported system. There should absolutely be an opt-out option. I've written BN about it and was told they "forwarded my suggestion to the individuals responsible for Nooks for consideration and possible implementation," which sounds exactly like a run-around to me. I will continue to let them know my feelings on this and would recommend anyone else who feels it's an unacceptable practice to do likewise. If they hear about it enough, perhaps they'll address it.

Wolf3
09-19-2011, 11:24 PM
It even seems like that could be implemented in a way that it seems like a feature...like...somehow separate it out, in a section like "samples of other books you might enjoy".

Yeah...it's downloaded "Conquestadora" and stuck it IN FRONT OF the actual book that I paid for and want to read. Man...that's messed up.

Between that and possibly the DRM not working the way I thought it did, this hasn't been a glorious first day with my Nook LOL :-O

kezza
09-20-2011, 12:00 AM
There is no "fast" way to delete the junk they push on you, you must log onto your BN account on a computer and manually delete each one.

Not true. To remove a book from your nook you can archive it directly from the device. Open the book you wish to remove, tap on the center of the screen to bring up the book options and tap the "more" button. From there you can archive the book, which will remove it from your device.

If you want to delete books later, you can do it from the website. But to get stuff off your nook right now, it's easy to do it without logging into your B&N account.

Verne Bunsen
09-20-2011, 12:03 AM
I hear you, it really cast a shadow over my initial impression as well, kind of cheapened the whole experience for me. I've cooled off about it enough to realize that, other than this issue, I am really very happy with the Nook, but it still gets my goat.

Verne Bunsen
09-20-2011, 12:03 AM
Not true. To remove a book from your nook you can archive it directly from the device. Open the book you wish to remove, tap on the center of the screen to bring up the book options and tap the "more" button. From there you can archive the book, which will remove it from your device.

If you want to delete books later, you can do it from the website. But to get stuff off your nook right now, it's easy to do it without logging into your B&N account.

Good to know, thanks!!

eGeezer
09-21-2011, 01:09 AM
Thing that bugs me about these samples (beyond that they seem to be "Romance" novels) is that they don't appear with a "sample" band on the nook. It is quite apparent they are samples when logging in to the website.

However, I've been pleased to see there are often books in which I am interested for $5 or less, so often buy them when I see them available. Then these samples show up in the "recent" list as if they are something I purchased but didn't remember.

Ticks me off. I guess I'll just stop buying anything until it stops, since I have hundreds of sideloaded books awaiting my attention. Plus, I have found some of the same purchased titles at other sources I can sideload, anyway.

DiannaInVA
09-21-2011, 09:24 AM
I have to say I'm also super annoyed by these samples. For the longest time I didn't turn on wifi on my Nook Touch. I kept checking my online account to see if anything appeared and wifi has been of a lot over the last few months on my Nook 1 and Nook Color.

Last week I checked my online account, nothing there, then I turned on the wifi on my Touch. All of a sudden the sample books end up on both my Touch and my online account.

So...I guess the morale of this story is that I can never turn my wifi on again (on the Touch). *sigh* I always side load my books anyway so that won't be a problem...but I shouldn't be forced to side load all of my purchased books.

Mycopsycho
09-21-2011, 10:08 AM
I only recently noticed all the sample books on my Nook STR and initially couldn't figure out how they all got there since I hadn't ordered them. Reading this thread has helped me to better understand B&N's "push" policy. I have been considering getting a Nook Color but this would be enough to sway me to spend some more cash and get a real tablet and forget B&N.

Wolf3
09-21-2011, 03:45 PM
Yeah, I left my Nook 2 on yesterday in the hopes that I'd get the latest firmware, since there's no "update now" button that I can find.

I didn't...but I got yet MORE sample books.

It's not like they take up much space on the device, and B&N could have them auto delete if you put your own stuff on, but they need to be in some other section. I don't even mind if they're preloaded on, and some are viewable from the main page...I just don't want them mixed in with MY books...I can't imagine anyone wouldn't be annoyed with this, and it doesn't seem like it's asking much that they just be separated out a bit if they're going to do it.

EDIT: To their credit, they did at least give me a Star Trek book this time that I might actually want to read at some point (but not right now) after my first purchase was of "Indistinguishable from Magic", so that's sort of cool (versus the romance books I got before :lol:

afv011
09-21-2011, 05:16 PM
Yeah, I left my Nook 2 on yesterday in the hopes that I'd get the latest firmware, since there's no "update now" button that I can find.

Off-topic, but you can force an update by downloading the image (ZIP) file from B&N's website and side-loading to your device. You can get it here (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/container/standard_bothnavs.asp?PID=35681).

Wolf3
09-21-2011, 05:37 PM
Thanks! I've got it bookmarked and may just give up and do that. The Kindle seemed to be really bad about actually updating too (and also didn't have an "update now" button).

dbeman
09-22-2011, 11:01 AM
I actually noticed my first "free samples" yesterday on my iPad. I generally don't visit the home page on my nook st until I need to switch books.

I guess I wouldn't be opposed to the idea if they took into consideration my buying and reading habits before sending me a sample; but to send a romance novel to someone who has exclusively purchased fantasy & historical fiction titles doesn't seem to make sense.

Ron.
09-22-2011, 11:15 AM
Sending me a free book once in awhile would be cool, samples are just an annoyance. I have my wireless turned off they can't send me anything :)

SCION
09-22-2011, 11:36 AM
I would love to get samples from Amazon. Their recommendations are on point.

Wolf3
09-22-2011, 12:41 PM
I have to say Amazon's recommendations are terrible for me. Netflix (errr....Qwikster?) is the only company that's ever actually done recommendations for me that are more right than wrong.

Becky Morgan
09-23-2011, 07:18 AM
My Nook downloaded huge samples the first day and ate 12% of our monthly bandwidth within less than 24 hours, so the wi-fi got locked off and will stay that way unless I take it to McDonald's. B&N assumes unlimited fast cable broadband and the Nook won't really work with satellite (and won't use the 3G if it finds the wi-fi.) I got the updates at a hitel on vacation so the screen wouldn't do that slow sickly wobble from page to page--better, but still slow -- and it downloaded some more blood and gore samples and I don't know what else. Forgot to shut off the wi-fi and it ate another huge chunk of bandwidth by the time I caught it a few hours later. Cutting off its wi-fi would take changing the passcode for everything else, which is a lot of work for something that shouldn't be happening.

DiannaInVA
09-23-2011, 08:26 AM
My Nook downloaded huge samples the first day and ate 12% of our monthly bandwidth within less than 24 hours, so the wi-fi got locked off and will stay that way unless I take it to McDonald's. B&N assumes unlimited fast cable broadband and the Nook won't really work with satellite (and won't use the 3G if it finds the wi-fi.) I got the updates at a hitel on vacation so the screen wouldn't do that slow sickly wobble from page to page--better, but still slow -- and it downloaded some more blood and gore samples and I don't know what else. Forgot to shut off the wi-fi and it ate another huge chunk of bandwidth by the time I caught it a few hours later. Cutting off its wi-fi would take changing the passcode for everything else, which is a lot of work for something that shouldn't be happening.

I keep my wifi off all the time (except for once the other day...when it then downloaded the samples). Technically you never need to turn on the wifi unless you don't have a computer. You can side load all books--even those you buy from B&N, and you can even side load the software updates.

log
09-23-2011, 11:40 AM
Does anyone know if it's possible to disable this "feature" if you root the device?

DianNC
09-23-2011, 07:04 PM
I had to turn on the wifi for a NC I was setting up for my sister today. It started loading the samples and I quickly shut it down.

On mine, I just make sure it's set to a webpage other than B&N when I turn on the wifi and it doesn't load the samples.

kezza
09-24-2011, 03:09 PM
Does anyone know if it's possible to disable this "feature" if you root the device?

Probably not. The samples are added to your BN account, not your device directly, so the device you're using is irrelevant. When it syncs your device with the BN mothership, it downloads the samples in your account. This is true whether you're using a nook device or just the nook app on another platform.

log
09-24-2011, 04:27 PM
Probably not. The samples are added to your BN account, not your device directly, so the device you're using is irrelevant. When it syncs your device with the BN mothership, it downloads the samples in your account. This is true whether you're using a nook device or just the nook app on another platform.

Thanks kezza.

Hopefully they will reconsider this and at least allow it as an option to turn this off.

janjanjan
09-28-2011, 08:44 PM
Not true. First you have to download the sample. On my Nook, I don't get the option to archive until I download. And, since I don't always have WIFI, that isn't always easy.

Wolf3
09-29-2011, 11:15 AM
Plus I don't WANT to archive it, I'd want to delete it, since it's just a sample (probably of a book I don't want).

Seems like the samples have quit coming on mine for the time being...maybe there were a bunch since I'm a new Nook user.

SCION
09-29-2011, 12:27 PM
I've returned to using the NOOK Android app for magazines and I noticed the samples are there. The good thing is you can just delete them with minimal effort. Like someone mentioned previously, there should be a designated area for these things. That way you could peruse them at your leisure. Now folks are just trying to get rid of them regardless of the content.

buttafoo
09-17-2012, 02:45 PM
You can always prevent your nook from contacting barnes & noble servers by blacklisting barnesandnoble.com and bn.com in your home router. The drawbacks (or benefits, depending on your point of view) are that you won't be able to get auto firmware updates or be able to sync with your account. You'll also have to make sure to turn on wifi only on your home network.
If you go to a cafe, it'll start connecting.

If you're rooted, you can block those domains by adding them to /etc/hosts on your nook. [Again, your nook won't be able to connect to them at all for anything]

ssh into your nook, type:

mount

- note the /dev/block/XXXX and filesystem type entries for /system, then type something like:

mount -o rw,remount -t ext2 /dev/block/mmcblk0p5

This will allow you to edit /etc/hosts. Now do:

echo "127.0.0.1 barnesandnoble.com" >> /etc/hosts
echo "127.0.0.1 bn.com" >> /etc/hosts

And finally restore the read-onlyness:

mount -o ro,remount -t ext2 /dev/block/mmcblk0p5

No reboot required. To undo, remove the two lines from /etc/hosts.