Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 10-07-2007, 04:40 PM   #1
LinShark
LinShark began at the beginning.

Reading Wikipedia ?

Hi.

I don't currently own an ebook reader, but when I get one, I will
be interested in reading wikipedia articles on it.

Do you read something from wikipedia and how do you do it ?
Is the result good ?

I'm sorry if these questions have been answered many times already..
LinShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 06:07 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The whole of Wikipedia (minus the pictures) can be put onto an iLiad (it fits onto a 4GB CF card). Works very well, apparently.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2007, 08:22 AM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
On PDAs/SmartPhones, you'll find that TomeReader is really good with large reference works like Wikipedia and the IMDB movie/TV database. (Btw, those and many other documents are available for free.) The software is designed especially to be efficient with large documents.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:40 AM   #4
^_Pepe_^
Enthusiast
^_Pepe_^ began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eBook reader PRS-505 / iLiad
Hi!

Not sure about the nuance of your question, but there's an utility called web2lrf to directly import web contents from wikipedia (full article) to eBook format or even eBook directly.

Unfortunately only works for english Wikipedia.

Regards,
^_Pepe_^
^_Pepe_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 10:24 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
wikipedia has some of the most god awful html code I've ever seen. Remember when we were trying t0 sort out those author biographies so they could be converted to LRF instead of PDF? Well it did not work well. Even kovidgoyal said it was that bad. And it was and they ended up being PDF in the reader screen size. So yes, I would say the iLiad might be your best shot at reading full wikipedias but for seperate articles, you could go to PDF and use a Sony or Cybook.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2007, 04:35 AM   #6
LinShark
LinShark began at the beginning.

Allright, thanks for your very useful inputs !
LinShark is offline   Reply With Quote