Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 08-05-2011, 03:55 PM   #1
mokel22
Zealot
mokel22 began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
Accesing hard drive with a bricked Edge w/ debugging enabled

Hey guys, I decided to try out chain-fire on the off chance that it might fix some of the gaming issues I've been having. Knowing the problems that chain-fire has brought I backed up my data, but forgot to get the library data . I was wondering how to access the hard drive w/ debugging enabled if it is possible. Thanks for any help in advance.
mokel22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:17 PM   #2
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Mokel, oh no!! Tell me it isn't a brick . . .
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2011, 05:24 PM   #3
mokel22
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
Mokel, oh no!! Tell me it isn't a brick . . .
I'll figure it out after a few golden updates, but first I want to see if I can salvage some of the library files I forgot to retrieve (like a numb-skull ).
I just know that usually when someone asks about data retrieval on bricked edges the first response is the question of debugging enabled, but the answer is always no, so I was wondering if the answer were yes then would I be able to get my data back.

Thanks for the consolation though Filark I like to look at this as a learning experience. It'd be nice if it were one with a happy ending though =p
Old 08-05-2011, 05:54 PM   #4
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
Mine I think was bricked by Chainfire, I am 100% confident was chainfire. recovered the lcd side but not the eink. what is worst it bricked the 3 finger recovery.
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:11 PM   #5
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by mokel22 View Post
Hey guys, I decided to try out chain-fire on the off chance that it might fix some of the gaming issues I've been having. Knowing the problems that chain-fire has brought I backed up my data, but forgot to get the library data . I was wondering how to access the hard drive w/ debugging enabled if it is possible. Thanks for any help in advance.
First law of computing - never try something on the off chance it might work for you when it usually doesn't for others because it never will.

Now this is a very long shot but since you have everything to loose it is worth a try.

With your edge powered on plug in the USB cable to it and your PC. You might be lucky enough to see the flash memory as a drive on the PC - if you are, grab what you want and be thankful. If it doesn't show up then bite the bullet and hope the golden update works.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2011, 06:15 PM   #6
mokel22
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
First law of computing - never try something on the off chance it might work for you when it usually doesn't for others because it never will.

Now this is a very long shot but since you have everything to loose it is worth a try.

With your edge powered on plug in the USB cable to it and your PC. You might be lucky enough to see the flash memory as a drive on the PC - if you are, grab what you want and be thankful. If it doesn't show up then bite the bullet and hope the golden update works.
It shows up as a drive that windows will not let me access, is there any way to access such files (oh and they come up as hidden, but I have the show hidden files feature on).

It basically shows up like it used to when I plugged my edge into the computer and did not tell the little android to allow usb data transfer.

Last edited by mokel22; 08-05-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:50 PM   #7
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokel22 View Post
It shows up as a drive that windows will not let me access, is there any way to access such files (oh and they come up as hidden, but I have the show hidden files feature on).

It basically shows up like it used to when I plugged my edge into the computer and did not tell the little android to allow usb data transfer.
That was the thing I was afraid of - it gets far enough along in the boot process to lock the flash memory, in which case I don't think there is much you can do.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:10 PM   #8
mokel22
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
That was the thing I was afraid of - it gets far enough along in the boot process to lock the flash memory, in which case I don't think there is much you can do.
Thanks for the help, I'll try the golden update now.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:59 PM   #9
mokel22
Zealot

I'm back and with donut Thanks for the help guys, Karma all around!
[edit] to Filark: Lesson learned.

Last edited by mokel22; 08-05-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:42 AM   #10
ivanjt
Guru

Sorry we couldn't help more.

Some lessons are easy and others need to hit us over the head so we learn them.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:50 PM   #11
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
word of the week. recovery!
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:52 PM   #12
mokel22
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicinc View Post
word of the week. recovery!
lol, I'd change my signature to that, but then I would only be slightly redundant. I've gotta keep the double irony or else I wouldn't have the irony redundancy.