View Full Version : Tables cutting off midriff

LostSock
08-03-2011, 03:43 PM
I've been searching through this forum to find the solution, but I'm a bit stumped.

I have a list of chronological events, which in the print book is in two columns. Very short bits of info, with dates.

I tried doing two floating text boxes, where one entire column was set with

float: left;
width: 45%;

and the other for right sided values, with sufficient padding between them. That didn't work at all in Adobe digital editions, as it stripped out everything except my italics.

Next I tried a table, but that leaves a huge amount of space between my page title, and when I scroll down, I only see one page of data.

Is there a limit to how much information I can put in a table? Or is a table just twitchy in ADE?

From the style sheet:
table, td, th
{
border:none;
}
td
{
vertical-align:top;
}

The code in the book:
<table>
<tr>
<td>blah x 30</td>
<td>blah x 37</td>
</tr>
</table>

Toxaris
08-03-2011, 04:54 PM
What are you trying to achieve? It is possible to make more than 1 column in an ePUB. It is on the forum somewhere.
I use tables sometimes and although the layout is somewhat limited, I have not found much troubles yet. Granted, the tables were not that complicated.
A table can be larger than a page, at least on my reader.

On what reader are you trying this?

LostSock
08-03-2011, 05:02 PM
Adobe Digital Reader, is what's giving me the issues. It seems like it should be simple, and I've successfully created tables before, but this one just cuts right off.

I'll go search for two columns on the forum, thanks. :)

roger64
08-03-2011, 05:50 PM
Adobe Digital Reader, is what's giving me the issues. It seems like it should be simple, and I've successfully created tables before, but this one just cuts right off.

I'll go search for two columns on the forum, thanks. :)

If you work with odt format you can very easily export to PDF.
You also can produce easily tables from odt files in EPUB format with W2X and LibreOffice

Here is a joint example

Jellby
08-04-2011, 05:33 AM
Tables don't break well across pages.

Do you need to present the data in columns? Can't you use a "description list" or just normal text?

<dl>
<dt>1492</dt>
<dd>Columbus arrives to the New World</dd>
</dl>

<p><b>1492</b>&mdash;Columbus arrives to the New World</p>

Also, if there is no relationship between the two columns (i.e., if it's printed as two columns only because it fits and to save paper) it's better to present it as a single column.

LostSock
08-04-2011, 09:14 AM
Thanks Roger, if I can't get it in Sigil I'll try yours.

Jelby, that's exactly the information that's int he columns. There's two columns in the book because one is a timeline of historical events for a certain family, and the second column is a general 'this is what's going on in the world.

I like the list idea, but it is presented with columns so you can compare the family's history to real world history. Bah.

Hatgirl
08-04-2011, 01:52 PM
Yeah, I've had a similar problem (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131520).

Think it's just ADE. Do post back if you find a solution!