View Full Version : Who's going to rush out and buy a Kindle?

Nate the great
10-04-2007, 11:20 AM
I will buy one as soon as possible. Anyone else?

CommanderROR
10-04-2007, 11:21 AM
nope...not this time... ;)

I'd love to, but 1) they probably won' be available here and 2) I can't justify shelling out that much oney if I've already got an Iliad and a STAReBOOK...but I'd sure love ot get one... :D

JSWolf
10-04-2007, 11:21 AM
I will buy one as soon as possible. Any one else
Is this before or after you buy an iLiad?

Kilarney
10-04-2007, 11:26 AM
If it isn't a substantial improvement over the Sony, then I won't purchase one. What may make the difference is if the number of Mobipocket titles increases exponentially. If that happens, then I'll be very tempted.

Nate the great
10-04-2007, 11:36 AM
Is this before or after you buy an iLiad?

The price and limited warranty has made me pull back and rethink the decision.

jasonkchapman
10-04-2007, 11:58 AM
Let's see. The question is: Am I going to go buy a unit that costs $500-$700 (but no one really knows) which is capable of reading--some e-book format (but no one really knows) which may or may not have a lot of content available for it that may or may not be severely DRM-limited (but no one really knows) and which might have other features (but no one really knows) when it (maybe) becomes available sometime between October 15th and ... never.

Sure, I'm in!

guguy
10-04-2007, 12:04 PM
Truth is that we know nearly nothing about the kindle, there are rumors about the
price right, but those are only rumors, we don't know its appearance and features,
we only know it'll handle mobipocket and maybe have an integrated wifi chip.

How can you say you'll rush and buy it while we know so few about it!

JSWolf
10-04-2007, 12:15 PM
It depends on if Amazon is willing to give me one or not. If not, then I won't have one.

ktb1381
10-04-2007, 12:23 PM
It depends on if Amazon is willing to give me one or not. If not, then I won't have one.

The question did say "buy".

nekokami
10-04-2007, 12:54 PM
Not unless they're extremely cheap, or include virtually every title in Amazon along with the price, at least for the first year. Since neither of these seems likely, no. I'm quite happy with my iLiad, thanks.

delphidb96
10-04-2007, 01:29 PM
Not unless they're extremely cheap, or include virtually every title in Amazon along with the price, at least for the first year. Since neither of these seems likely, no. I'm quite happy with my iLiad, thanks.

I'm with you. I remember the rumors of a $50 Kindle - presuming one signed up for a year or two's subscription for ebooks - and I thought, "Yeah. I'd buy a subscription for the option to have an eInk reader for $50!". But with the Sony running $299, the Hanlin running (minus the special this week) $329 and the Bookeen *hopefully* coming in under $350 (we'll know more later), I can't see shelling out more than $400 for a 6" reader. Now if it were an 8" or 9" reader, or one of those hypothetical dual-screen Hanlins, yeah, I'd shell out $400 or 500 for one.

Derek

MikeF74
10-05-2007, 11:12 AM
If they did heavily subsidize the purchase, with the requirement that you buy X books in Y years (such as Audible and their "free" MP3 players), then I think I would jump on it. However, I would still have to see the device first. If the keyboard is as large as it is in the FCC submitted photo, then no way in hell. I don't mind a tiny thumboard for the once in a blue moon need for text entry. But that mid-sized keyboard really turns me off.

yvanleterrible
10-05-2007, 11:21 AM
If they did heavily subsidize the purchase, with the requirement that you buy X books in Y years (such as Audible and their "free" MP3 players), then I think I would jump on it. However, I would still have to see the device first. If the keyboard is as large as it is in the FCC submitted photo, then no way in hell. I don't mind a tiny thumboard for the once in a blue moon need for text entry. But that mid-sized keyboard really turns me off.Just an idea to follow on that... the keyboard could be split in two rows, one on each side, that are thumb operated, a little like that numbered button row on that new 505. It could work although with a steep learning curve to be efficient.

MikeF74
10-05-2007, 11:37 AM
I was thinking of buttons like this:
http://www.umpcportal.com/gallery/d/5240-2/Q1+Ultra.jpg
But below screen and not split up too much, just enough to allow the average thumb to get to them from the edges of the device.

yvanleterrible
10-05-2007, 12:01 PM
I was thinking of buttons like this:
http://www.umpcportal.com/gallery/d/5240-2/Q1+Ultra.jpg
But below screen and not split up too much, just enough to allow the average thumb to get to them from the edges of the device.

Yeah, that would work because that umpc keyboard eats up a lot of real estate, but of course they would need it anyway for the huge inards required. Putting the buttons down at the bottom would make it a difficult grip though.

A reader is not so filled up with circuits and drives, so the less outside space used, the better. My suggestion had a drawback too, going up and down requires changing grip at every two or three letters...

MikeF74
10-05-2007, 12:18 PM
Putting the buttons down at the bottom would make it a difficult grip though.Perhaps a little difficult, but I'm ok with that since text input in a decidedly secondary function of the device. To me, it's for 99% reading, 1% typing. So it wouldn't bother me if the keys were small and a little awkward to use. I'd much rather it be awkward than large.

yvanleterrible
10-05-2007, 12:31 PM
Perhaps a little difficult, but I'm ok with that since text input in a decidedly secondary function of the device. To me, it's for 99% reading, 1% typing. So it wouldn't bother me if the keys were small and a little awkward to use. I'd much rather it be awkward than large.
Personally I'd like the option of full USB connectivity that would allow plugging a full keybord. I could use that to write my book or unplug it for leasure reading without any wasted space/size.

HarryT
10-05-2007, 12:36 PM
Let's see. The question is: Am I going to go buy a unit that costs $500-$700 (but no one really knows) which is capable of reading--some e-book format (but no one really knows) which may or may not have a lot of content available for it that may or may not be severely DRM-limited (but no one really knows) and which might have other features (but no one really knows) when it (maybe) becomes available sometime between October 15th and ... never.

Sure, I'm in!

Hmmm. When you put it like that, how could anyone possibly refuse? :)

MikeF74
10-05-2007, 12:38 PM
Personally I'd like the option of full USB connectivity that would allow plugging a full keybord. I could use that to write my book or unplug it for leasure reading without any wasted space/size.Interesting. Add a little stand and it could be a simple word-processor. Probably not the market they are going for though.

Personally, I think an on-screen keyboard would be fine if the only reason for a keyboard is to shop the online store.

yvanleterrible
10-05-2007, 12:46 PM
Interesting. Add a little stand and it could be a simple word-processor. Probably not the market they are going for though.

Personally, I think an on-screen keyboard would be fine if the only reason for a keyboard is to shop the online store.

They did make it look like a study tool. Writing on it is inherent then.

BKeeper
10-05-2007, 06:01 PM
Personally I'd like the option of full USB connectivity that would allow plugging a full keybord. I could use that to write my book or unplug it for leasure reading without any wasted space/size.

I had the same idea :D

Wait for one slightly faster refresh and of those fabric keyboards (http://www.eleksen.com/index.asp?page=solutions/usbfabric/usb_1.asp) and you'd have a killer study device.

Not only that but this approach also has the advantage that you'd make it optional thus not imposing it on all your users.

That's what I'd call "flexible design" (pun not entirely intended) ;)

It's getting closer and closer...
(Some day my color iLiad will have a case made from that fabric...)

Lemurion
10-08-2007, 07:19 PM
Will I buy a Kindle? I don't know.

I want an e-Ink reader, but price and format support will be major determinants. If it supports the formats I use and comes in at an affordable price I may get one. If it doesn't, I won't.

CommanderROR
10-09-2007, 10:38 AM
I'll buy one if
1) it is good enough
2) enough people buy my two mp3 files (see my sig) to reduce the cost to acceptable levels... ;)

Nate the great
11-16-2007, 09:27 AM
Since it looks like the Kindle will be announce on Monday, am resurrecting this thread.

Alexander Turcic
11-16-2007, 09:48 AM
You go, Nate! Actually, a new poll option could be added as we're now fairly sure what the price is going to be ($399).

I would immediately buy the Kindle, if I knew that I could use the online services also in Europe. But somehow I don't think this is going to work ;(

HarryT
11-16-2007, 09:51 AM
It will probably be the usual situation of the American media completely ignoring any non-US product when it comes to writing reviews. Look at the two recent reviews of the Sony 505 we've seen in the last week, neither of which (when discussing other devices) made the least mention of the Gen3 or the iLiad.

Lemurion
11-16-2007, 10:03 AM
If it's going to be $399 that's a problem. Price is one of the things that's limiting sales on the Sony Reader and going $100 in the wrong direction isn't going to help.

TallMomof2
11-16-2007, 10:56 AM
I'm interested but will wait and see.

NatCh
11-16-2007, 12:13 PM
I would immediately buy the Kindle, if I knew that I could use the online services also in Europe. But somehow I don't think this is going to work ;(I know it's by no means conclusive, but didn't we see some Kindle Editions noted on Amazon's UK site?

Charbax
11-19-2007, 01:18 AM
It needs to support open ebook formats, to subscribe to and read any RSS feed as well as import my OPML file from Google Reader, read and answer my Gmail, access any other only sources for ebooks including full access to Google Books, function as an open standard for payable content so I can buy access to one newspaper article at the time using micropayments instead of being only able to read articles from a newspaper if I pay an expensive subscription, it should access to all articles from Google News as well. Especially, Amazon needs to make it available in Europe working on HSDPA networks.

Monteagle
11-19-2007, 08:13 PM
One other thought: Since Amazon is now committed to Kindle, how long will it take them to shut Mobipocket down cold? I don't think I would buy any more Mobipocket ebooks. Amazon does shut things down as they did with ALL ebooks a year ago. They only have five people working in the Mobipocket Paris office. And when their server went down, they left the poor French guys hanging and down for ten solid days.

DaleDe
11-19-2007, 08:26 PM
One other thought: Since Amazon is now committed to Kindle, how long will it take them to shut Mobipocket down cold? I don't think I would buy any more Mobipocket ebooks. Amazon does shut things down as they did with ALL ebooks a year ago. They only have five people working in the Mobipocket Paris office. And when their server went down, they left the poor French guys hanging and down for ten solid days.

I do not expect that to happen at all. Why shut down a business that makes money and has contracts that you would have to break and sells books in parts of the world that you do not? And besides, if you shut it down the employess would likely go off and start a competitor.

Starting these kinds of rumors in what is termed FUD.

Dale

Zoot
11-19-2007, 09:13 PM
I think Amazon basically has one more chance to make the whole ebook thing work with the Kindle. If it fails and they cut off their users from the content that they paid for, then nobody will ever trust them again (at least with any sort or proprietary DRM).

Z.

HarryT
11-20-2007, 09:29 AM
And when their server went down, they left the poor French guys hanging and down for ten solid days.

Please don't spead misinformation. Mobi shut their own server down to beef up their security following an attempted security breach. An extremely courageous and highly responsible thing to do.

markbot
11-22-2007, 01:11 AM
I just bought a kindle. The only real reason you would not get an e-reader of some sort is that you want to collect books...but the benefits of electronic books are so great that this cute idea of have a physical library is actually absurd. and the Kindle is the best product on the market so far....since it is tied to amazon....as opposed to other readers that have lame stores that could be gone tomorrow.

also, the Kindle can read those other books if there are in PDF...

Lucien21
11-22-2007, 09:11 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7107118.stm

Aparantly everyone rushed out and bought one. Unless they had a pitiful stock.

HarryT
11-22-2007, 09:21 AM
<puzzled>

Where does one "rush out" to in order to buy a product that's only sold on-line?

</puzzled>

Alisa
11-22-2007, 01:20 PM
I just read that article. Rather irresponsible to report: "Overall the gadget has won a rating of 2.5 stars out of five from those who have spent time with it." when the vast majority of the low ratings were from people who have never used the product and just want to complain about the price or how it's not color, etc.

cfc
11-22-2007, 08:20 PM
Well... I just broke down and ordered a Kindle. Estimated delivery with the free 2-day shipping is December 10th. The remarks by people on Mobileread convinced me. It's not perfect, but the fact that they will probably sell so many of them that it would be worthwhile for them make improvements through firmware updates (which should be easier that any other reader). I've already done a bulk download of my Fictionwise Multiformat books in the PRC format, so I'll have over 100 books already for the kindle!

montsnmags
11-23-2007, 12:38 AM
<puzzled>

Where does one "rush out" to in order to buy a product that's only sold on-line?

</puzzled>

They rushed out of the room with their wifi laptops so that their better halves didn't see them buying yet another electronic gizmo or racking up even more frequent-buyer points on Amazon. ;)

Cheers,
Marc

lubberts
11-23-2007, 03:22 AM
My dad, my girlfriend and myself are all current sony reader users. My girlfriend is using my old prs 500 and my dad and I both got prs 505s when they were released (due to the untimely death of his, and my girlfriend's persistence that she couldn't have my "old one" unless I got a new one)
The problem is that we are all also Mac users. The headache for dedicated Mac users to switch between osx and windows through boot camp are plenty, which we have to do any time we want to buy sony reader content. When you add to that the fact that the sony reader software is so buggy and slooooow to use, the amount of stress derived from simply attempting to get books onto the readers is practically not worth it. I say practically because we all adore our readers despite the problems with the software. We are all avid readers, and any avid reader would be hard-pressed to hate an e-reader (after actually using one).
When my dad read online about the kindle reader's ability to download books from anywhere, and the fact that no computer software was necessary, he was sold. The fact that we can share the books we purchase (much more easily than with the reader), that the new releases and best sellers are cheaper than anywhere else (even than discount book stores), and that he could get newspapers and magazines automatically delivered without having to worry about waking up early enough to sync the reader before work, well that was all just icing on the cake!
This morning he whipped out his card, and we have 3 on the way for Christmas, to be delivered on or around December 10th. I couldn't be happier. The content that we have purchased for the sony reader is just water under the bridge I suppose, Most of the reading we do is from the webscriptions website anyway, and that can all come along for the ride.
So will I get one? Yes, we ordered 3!

SanAntone
11-23-2007, 12:24 PM
Nice! If you are all under the same account I think it allows you to share books also!

slayda
11-23-2007, 12:33 PM
I almost ordered one. But then I came to my senses! Still enjoying my PRS-500.

lubberts
11-23-2007, 02:00 PM
Yup! We can share books! For instance if I am on the bus on the way to class, and I purchase a new book, at that point in time the other two kindles on my account are able to download that same book to read! I can't do that with a pbook! I'm not sure if the subscription we are planning on getting to wallstreet journal will be delivered to all three devices or if that is only for one device...That's not as important as being able to share the books though. Just curious. Anyone with more than one kindle right now know the answer to that?
This also opens up interesting possibilities to me. For instance, I meet John Smith here on the mobile read forums. If he has 10-15 books I haven't read, perhaps he could add me as an authorized kindle on his account for a period of time, till I read those, and I could return the favor! Or if I trust someone enough to change the billing info each time they want to purchase a book, just add John Smith to my account right from the beginning so that all the books we purchase we share, and don't have to purchase some books multiple times. I'm not sure about the feasability of that, or how far my trust goes, but it is an interesting possibility to be sure.
What is really awesome is that while I await my shiny Kindles I have already set up a different nick name for all three, along with setting up our kindle email addresses. The website allows me to browse the books and request that they "send a sample to my kindle". The other kindles on my account are able to request different samples as well. We wanted to make a wish list for each of us, but when that escaped my capabilities I just decided to send a sample for each book I might like to buy, so I can read the first chapter and then decide to purchase or not. Pretty cool considering I don't have the kindle yet, and it's a bit of a tide-me-over while I wait.
Also, I've played around with the conversion. I sent a .doc ebook I received from the baen free library to myname@free.kindle.com, and they sent me back the document in .azw format. Of course I cannot read it yet, and before converting all my hundreds of books only to discover that I needed to make a change to the name of the file for purposes of organization, I decided to hold off till I put that one book on the reader and see how it looks.
Does anyone who has a kindle now know what the name the document gets when you send it? Is it just the name of the document? Also, how are the books organized on the reader? Anything like Sony's collections? Or is it mainly the search feature that you use? Is there any form of organization that you determine?

zartemis
11-25-2007, 01:11 AM
Yup! We can share books! For instance if I am on the bus on the way to class, and I purchase a new book, at that point in time the other two kindles on my account are able to download that same book to read! I can't do that with a pbook! I'm not sure if the subscription we are planning on getting to wallstreet journal will be delivered to all three devices or if that is only for one device

Subscriptions are for one device, according to their official post to the Kindle discussion on Amazon:

Q: How can I read books that I legally own on my different kindles? Can I? Should I be able to?
A: At this time, you cannot share or give your Kindle books to Kindles that are not associated with your Amazon.com account. If you are the owner of multiple Kindles, or have multiple Kindles registered to your account (i.e wife, husband), your books can be re-downloaded to each of these Kindles, up to a limit of 6 Kindles. Subscriptions to periodicals can only be downloaded to one registered Kindle.

It does appear that you can change what device the subscription is sent to on the fly from the online kindle manager, however, so one week it could go to one device, and then later you could change it another one.

giedre
12-06-2007, 12:21 AM
My kindle will be arriving this Friday, and I can hardly wait! I have the older Sony so it will be interesting to be able to compare the two. What really sold me on the Kindle was the ability to buy and download books while not connected to my PC. To be able to do so just blew me away. Plus if I find a book I really want I'll just go and see who's is cheaper! :D

Just4Fun
12-06-2007, 01:38 PM
I've purchased 2 Kindles on Nov. 25: one for myself and one as a Christmas present for my significant other (supposed to arrive Dec. 20).

One thing that I don't like about the Amazon newspaper marketing scheme is that the newspapers can't be shared among the devices like the books can. If I have a paper version of a newspaper, anyone in my house can read it. With the Kindle, I will have to swap machines with other family members in order to do that. That seems nonsensical to me. IMHO, all of my machines should have access to the books, periodicals, and magazines that I buy. This is especially true since when I use digital media, I give up the ability to lend a book to a friend or neighbor. Of course, I don't pay full price for the book so maybe that piece is fair...

I've followed ebook readers since their inception. I've read a few ebooks on various PDA devices that I've owned over the years and found them lacking. I've tried reading ebooks on the computer (Yuck). I've even purchased (and returned) a couple of dedicated readers (screen not book-like enough for me). I'll return the Kindles too if they don't fit the reading task, but I have to admit to having a feeling an excitement about this device that I haven't felt in years. It's a little akin to seeing my first Atari 400 computer back in the late 70's early 80's or maybe my excitement after driving all the way to Seattle to see one of the first Amiga 1000s displayed at the Bon. You know, it had an AMAZING 4092 colors and you wouldn't believe the rotating cube displayed on the screen! ;-D Anybody else that old here? <sigh>

The primary distaste that I had in the past for ebook readers was the arduous task of file conversion and/or the poor screen reading experience. My largest concern, though, was the availability of a good selection of book titles at a reasonable cost. My feeling has always been, if you offer a huge library of books, ebook readers will have a chance. If there are no books to read, then who needs one? The lack of books and ease of device use might also be one reason that some feel the necessity to pirate books. Make the books available, fairly priced, and easy to buy and I think most people will buy the book rather than searching the wilds of the Internet, but that is a whole 'other' issue... So, back to my comments at hand.

According to the reviews, the Kindle has done an excellent job addressing most of my previous concerns. I've been watching the Kindle store's book inventory grow every day and many of the books that I am interested in reading are being offered for a very fair price. I've also found some interesting titles that I didn't know about while browsing through the offerings. I am sold on the idea of being able to download sample chapters before purchasing a title. That is a great option. I don't generally take the time to read an entire first chapter while browsing through paper books at a bookstore so sometimes I end up buying a book that just isn't what I was hoping for. My dream for years has been to cut down on the book clutter that two people who read a lot can generate in a house. Sure there are some books that I want to display, but most of our books are read once. They lie around and become somewhat of a nuisance. I finally pass them on or sell them to half price books for a pittance. Some days, I feel that I live under an avalanche of paper materials. I am hoping that the Kindle will help reorganize that part of our lives.

If I could build my own reader, sure I'd like color and a larger screen (for pdfs and newspapers and magazines,old eyes), and maybe I'd like some kind of a built in light that could be used if necessary, but weight and battery life are also important so I'm not sure about the built in light. Someone here said why not use a couple of sheets of flexible paper and get rid of the casing. Since that is what eink is all about, that could be an interesting design concept. At least, make the epaper units seem more paper and book-like. In that case, I could imagine owning three thin sheet paper devices: One for magazines, one for newspapers and one for books.

Finally, one thing that I am VERY happy about is that the ebook reader market is finally heating up. Even if the Kindle isn't the perfect reader, it is bringing attention to the market and I'm sure that future generations of readers will only improve (I just hope that I can live long enough to see that evolution.) This really could be the beginning of a new approach to reading. We probably won't recognize the playing field in 10 years.

Zoot
12-11-2007, 03:19 PM
Maybe it's time to un-sticky this thread?

Z.

kpfeifle
12-11-2007, 06:53 PM
maybe my excitement after driving all the way to Seattle to see one of the first Amiga 1000s displayed at the Bon. You know, it had an AMAZING 4092 colors and you wouldn't believe the rotating cube displayed on the screen! ;-D Anybody else that old here? <sigh>

I am, I loved my Amiga.