View Full Version : Amazon Kindle: More signs that it will be released soon

Bob Russell
10-03-2007, 10:38 PM
We have been expecting (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13756&highlight=kindle) the Amazon Kindle e-ink e-book reader around Oct 15. Nobody seems to know if it will look like the pictures we have seen previously (ugly), but it's highly anticipated because of the Amazon name and their ownership of MobiPocket, with the associated huge catalog of book titles. The rumors indicate that wireless book purchasing may be in the mix, as well as an onboard keyboard.

Even more confirmations have appeared in the form of Kindle books for sale at Amazon. Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/03/kindle-edition-books-appear-on-amazon-reader-launch-imminent/) is reporting that there are Kindle Edition titles showing up. The example they give is set to a hefty price of about $54, but I'm sure that mass paperback titles will be more reasonable. At least after launch.

One cannot help but feel that the new devices are a sign of e-book market progress, especially when considering those from major companies like Sony and Amazon and Panasonic. We might find that we have had the whole chicken and the egg thing wrong after all - maybe the first step is not the DRM and format solution. Maybe what's going to really drive the market expansion is the popular devices as they become affordable.

Thanks to our members anotherchance and Studio717 for the tip.

AnemicOak
10-03-2007, 11:30 PM
Even more confirmations have appeared in the form of Kindle books for sale at Amazon. Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/03/kindle-edition-books-appear-on-amazon-reader-launch-imminent/) is reporting that there are Kindle Edition titles showing up. The example they give is set to a hefty price of about $54, but I'm sure that mass paperback titles will be more reasonable. At least after launch.

Many of the Mass Market PB's on their site that have a corresponding Kindle edition are cheaper than the print version at least they were. I was going to link to Dragon Bones by Patricia Briggs as example as it had a Kindle edition listed earlier for 5 something, vs. $8 for the pb, but it looks like they pulled the listing.

The one Engadget shows is a textbook which of course costs more.

gmanacsa
10-04-2007, 12:30 AM
snip

We might find that we have had the whole chicken and the egg thing wrong after all - maybe the first step is not the DRM and format solution. Maybe what's going to really drive the market expansion is the popular devices as they become affordable.

snip

I think the solution has to be end-to-end, as it was in the music market. It has to include:

- an affordable, easy-to-use and effective device for reading (like the iPod was for music)

- an affordable, easy-to-use marketplace to acquire content, with reasonable or no DRM (like iTunes and its store's not-too-hostile DRM)

- a user-friendly and efficient means to manage content (again, like iTunes)

All of these pieces have to demonstrate such a clear value for the consumer that it will get them to choose deeply-ingrained habits.

da_jane
10-04-2007, 12:35 AM
The prices have been taken down.

CommanderROR
10-04-2007, 07:22 AM
I guess Amazon noticed that we noticed...^^
Or maybe it was a test to see how we'd react to their pricing. Now they are holding a conference and adjusting the prices... ;)
Might be wishful thinking, but who knows. A big Player like Amazon would know that we're watching for stuff like these "Kindle Editions" and could use the "first-reactions" as a test to see how people react to their pricing scheme.

jasonkchapman
10-04-2007, 08:06 AM
I think the solution has to be end-to-end, as it was in the music market. It has to include:

- an affordable, easy-to-use and effective device for reading (like the iPod was for music)

Check (sort of. affordable is relative.)

- an affordable, easy-to-use marketplace to acquire content, with reasonable or no DRM (like iTunes and its store's not-too-hostile DRM)

Almost check

- a user-friendly and efficient means to manage content (again, like iTunes)

Probably check (pending the new version)

All of these pieces have to demonstrate such a clear value for the consumer that it will get them to choose deeply-ingrained habits.

Check (for me, anyway)

On this scale, Sony just about has it in the bag.

vivaldirules
10-04-2007, 09:20 AM
And, most of all, they have to show that they're going to offer things we want to read. Don't bother me with a few tens of thousands of titles filled with public domain texts, works by desperate authors who will sign most any contract, and a few bestsellers to make it look nice. I want to see some real content forthcoming!

HarryT
10-04-2007, 09:50 AM
And, most of all, they have to show that they're going to offer things we want to read. Don't bother me with a few tens of thousands of titles filled with public domain texts, works by desperate authors who will sign most any contract, and a few bestsellers to make it look nice. I want to see some real content forthcoming!

Have you taken a look at MobiPocket (http://www.mobipocket.com) or Fictionwise (http://www.fictionwise.com)? You'll certainly find "real content" there.

Steven Lyle Jordan
10-04-2007, 10:31 AM
Check (sort of. affordable is relative.)

Yeah... they still seem too high to me. C'mon, sub-$200... $150...

vivaldirules
10-04-2007, 10:37 AM
Okay, there's real content there, Harry, but thirty or forty thousand just isn't enough, frankly. Amazon has 9.9 million, if you can believe a total with a blank search. I can buy nearly everything there that I have wanted to buy. Undoubtedly half of these are duplicates or something else. Still, we're talking millions instead of tens of thousands. At Mobipocket and Fictionwise and even Sony Connect, I see books I'm interested in, but there few that I would want to buy. The intersection between their offerings and my pbook collection, for example, is still far, far less than 5% of my total based on my recent searches. If that's all we're going to see, then this is a fringe business at best and the readers we buy will be useful toys and perhaps little more.

JSWolf
10-04-2007, 10:39 AM
Have you taken a look at MobiPocket (http://www.mobipocket.com) or Fictionwise (http://www.fictionwise.com)? You'll certainly find "real content" there.
Or PaperbackDigital (http://www.paperbackdigital.com) or BooksOnBoard (http://www.booksonboard.com) with both being cheaper then MobiPocket and Fictionwise.

VillageReader
10-04-2007, 10:42 AM
Oddly enough, I went to Amazon today and searched on "Kindle", went to the electronics link, and there was an iLiad V2.

CommanderROR
10-04-2007, 10:43 AM
@VillageReader

The same thing happened to me. I saw the picture of the ereader there and for a microsecond thought "That lloks a lot like my Iliad" before I then saw that it actually IS and Iliad...^^

Nate the great
10-04-2007, 10:54 AM
Oddly enough, I went to Amazon today and searched on "Kindle", went to the electronics link, and there was an iLiad V2.

I know. It's been there for a few days. I almost posted a link to that search result. But it's not 1 April so I didn't.

VillageReader
10-04-2007, 11:16 AM
Wouldn't it make things interesting if the Kindle is a special edition Iliad pointing to Amazon's update site rather than iRex'?

CommanderROR
10-04-2007, 11:22 AM
THAT would be totally cool...^^

jasonkchapman
10-04-2007, 11:29 AM
Okay, there's real content there, Harry, but thirty or forty thousand just isn't enough, frankly. Amazon has 9.9 million, if you can believe a total with a blank search.

I seriously doubt that Amazon has secured e-rights for those 9.9 million titles. I'm certain that MobiPocket hasn't, otherwise you would have seen them available already. I know for a fact that the publishers of a number of those paper titles haven't secured e-rights, either. Several houses and imprints are still in e-rights scramble mode. Once someone who does own the e-rights, whether it's the author or a publisher, decides to license them, they will still have to decide on whether to go through Sony, MobiPocket, whatever Amazon is going to do, some other route, or some combination of the above.

Whatever Amazon does, I wouldn't expect the number of available titles to be in the millions right away. I'd be surprised if it even got close to six figures.

jasonkchapman
10-04-2007, 11:34 AM
Wouldn't it make things interesting if the Kindle is a special edition Iliad pointing to Amazon's update site rather than iRex'?

Frankly, it would make a lot more sense than Amazon getting into the hardware business.

tsgreer
10-04-2007, 12:23 PM
The one Engadget shows is a textbook which of course costs more.

Which is expensive, but cheaper than a p-textbook, so that's good news too...

nekokami
10-04-2007, 12:57 PM
That could explain the high prices people are speculating on. I don't think this is especially likely, but if it were, it would be interesting to see if there's a software upgrade path for existing iLiad owners.

BKeeper
10-04-2007, 01:44 PM

That would be funny, :p however it's highly unlikely.
Rex did try to aproach Amazon, but Amazon was not receptive of the idea. Contacts were unsuccessful. (maybe somebody tried to call iRex tech support).
In the ebook world today if Amazon choses your device this is as good as is gets. iRex is claearly not in that position.

For starters the iLiad isn't nearly as reliable, stable, or usable as Amazon would need.

Amazon is the only company with power to make the content explosion happen.
But we still have to see what Amazon has planned for their kidle.

1) They could just release a reader and port their mobipocket ebook collection.

2) Or they could have planned a really big push to make ebooks mainstream and add thousands of new quality titles to their ebook catalog.

Actually for me it makes sense that Amazon would want to design their own reader. After all for them it's not hardware at all. They are creating a new suply channel.

NatCh
10-04-2007, 01:53 PM
For starters the iLiad isn't nearly as reliable, stable, or usable as Amazon would need.I sure hope the Kindle will be.

Think how badly it would FUBAR the e-book world if Amazon jumps in a promptly falls on its face over the hardware. :zoiks:

I don't want to think about it any more, it's too scary. I may need to lie down for a bit now.

MikeF74
10-04-2007, 02:03 PM
Does anybody here need that physics textboox? :)

I'm just curious to see if anybody can open this "Kindle Edition" in their MobiPocket reader.

yvanleterrible
10-04-2007, 04:04 PM
I'm willing to bet a shot of Karma that Amazon Kindle ebook sales will be limited to US.

MikeF74
10-04-2007, 04:13 PM
With eBooks, distributors really need to start moving away from country-based licensing and move to worldwide language-specific licensing. Language specific just to protect from companies who might only focus on one language from locking out all other eBook editions. This geographically centric licensing sounds really burdensome to the who industry.

CommanderROR
10-04-2007, 06:07 PM
Yes, but remember that iTunes video downloads are still not available in Europe and that the Zune and Sony Reader never made it out of the US...so it certainly is possible that Amazon will limit both the Kindle and the ebook sales to the US market...

This would be very sad indeed...

nekokami
10-04-2007, 07:51 PM
Amazon MP3 sales are apparently also limited to the US, controlled by credit card billing address.

HarryT
10-05-2007, 04:39 AM
Yes, but remember that iTunes video downloads are still not available in Europe and that the Zune and Sony Reader never made it out of the US...so it certainly is possible that Amazon will limit both the Kindle and the ebook sales to the US market...

This would be very sad indeed...

iTunes video was in fact recently "launched" in the UK, so I think they are trying to expand it. It is a pity that many companies in the US market do seem to take a rather "insular" outlook. Perhaps they don't realise that the EU is a considerably larger market than the US!

vivaldirules
10-05-2007, 09:10 AM
Whatever Amazon does, I wouldn't expect the number of available titles to be in the millions right away. I'd be surprised if it even got close to six figures.

Agreed. That would be impossible right now. But someone (Amazon, Sony/Borders, whoever) needs to start moving substantially in that direction soon. Or else. Or else.....I'm just......just......really pissed!:angry::):angry::):angry::)

emellaich
10-09-2007, 12:31 PM
iTunes video was in fact recently "launched" in the UK, so I think they are trying to expand it. It is a pity that many companies in the US market do seem to take a rather "insular" outlook. Perhaps they don't realise that the EU is a considerably larger market than the US!

Well, I'm not sure it's purely about an "insular" outlook. I don't have any inside information here -- I'm just speculating -- however, I suspect it is a rights management issue. I know that when a book is published it is handled by different publishers in each region and/or country.

So you may need to begin pressuring your local publishers. Who knows, if you can get a progressive local publisher, maybe you can get someone to repeat the Baen model.

Michael