View Full Version : Scanning two pages

Kilarney
10-02-2007, 07:12 AM
I've got a few old books laying around that I'd like to read on my Sony Reader. I've got a flatbed HP scanner. I've scanned a couple of books in, but I have to do so one page at a time. If I try to scan both open pages, the OCR in HP Precision Scan Pro reads the entire book from left to right. In other words, lines from the right page are interjected into lines from the left page.

Does anyone know if there is a setting and/or way to avoid this? I'd love to cut the number of scans in half, since this is tedious at best. (I'm sure I wouldn't be so eager if I didn't have a new "toy.")

Thanks!

JSWolf
10-04-2007, 10:15 AM
I've got a few old books laying around that I'd like to read on my Sony Reader. I've got a flatbed HP scanner. I've scanned a couple of books in, but I have to do so one page at a time. If I try to scan both open pages, the OCR in HP Precision Scan Pro reads the entire book from left to right. In other words, lines from the right page are interjected into lines from the left page.

Does anyone know if there is a setting and/or way to avoid this? I'd love to cut the number of scans in half, since this is tedious at best. (I'm sure I wouldn't be so eager if I didn't have a new "toy.")

Thanks!
Well I know in previous HP scanner software, you scan the entire thing to get a thumbnail and then surround the bit you want to scan. You could do that with each page. Just select that bit to scan.

Kilarney
10-04-2007, 10:29 AM
I currently do that, but I don't know how to have it scan all at once. AFAIK, can't select two areas to scan at once time.

JSWolf
10-04-2007, 10:36 AM
I currently do that, but I don't know how to have it scan all at once. AFAIK, can't select two areas to scan at once time.
While you have to scan each page separately, you only have to lay the book down for 1/2 the number of pages.

Kilarney
10-04-2007, 12:31 PM
This is true, but scanning still takes time.

ereszet
10-07-2007, 06:46 AM
This is true, but scanning still takes time.

See http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13848

Black and white or color takes the same time to shoot (one tenth of a second). Then it takes some time to turn the pages and place the book again in the cradle, finally it takes time to download all pictures in batch to the computer.

In practice, there are no size limits (within the resolution and zoom of the camera), and even a spiral binding does not make any difference.

The pictures attached are reduced in size in order not the disclose the content that may be copyrighted. The second one is a road atlas (2xA4 format).