Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-21-2011, 01:54 AM   #1
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Android Tablet Price Wars?

Quote:
The Vizio 8″ Tablet isn’t likely to attract anyone seriously looking at an iPad 2 or even a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1. But for the millions of people that don’t have a tablet and need something “Good Enough” this may fit the bill.

Just as plenty of people didn’t want to pay premium prices for the SONY Bravias, Sharp AQUOS and Samsung HDTVs and opted for the cheaper Vizio sets, I expect that there will be a market for lower-end Android tablets for people who don’t want XOOMs, Galaxy Tabs or even iPad 2s.
Check out the specs: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/perlow/wil...ice-wars/17854

RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:19 PM   #2
timothyh
timothyh is on a distinguished road

Device: nook color, nook touch, sony 350
I'm interested in learning more. Anyone purchased Vizio? Please post your impressions.
timothyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2011, 03:13 PM   #3
Njall
Enthusiast
Njall began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2, S7 Edge, Tab 4
Thumbs up I've have my Vizio VTAB1008 for 3 days.

I just bought a Vizio three days ago. So far I like it a lot. I wanted a tablet smaller than 10".

The Vizio has locked up a couple of times when I tried to do several things, with non-standard apps very quickly; however, it is otherwise very stable. The initial home screen is, IMHO, too visually cluttered; however, I was able to install LauncherPro and suspect that other home screen programs will work too.

The keyboard function is easier for me to use than the iPad's keyboard. First and foremost much of the time you can type shifted symbols simply by pressing the key a bit longer. That REALLY helps reduce frustration and increase typing speed. There are other typing modes which I've yet to really explore.

The display is very nice. It is responsive and only occasionally a bit laggy. It is a capacitive, multi-touch screen. I don't know how many fingers it can sense at the same time; however, I rarely need more than two. My biggest complaint about the screen is that it is reflective and can be tricky to view when the ambient light is at a bad angle. Supposedly there are non-reflective screen protectors which might help with this issue.

The user facing camera is, um, not very special. Once Skype works on it I suspect it will be just OK for video conferencing. It is grainy. However, I am quite pleased it has a camera at all. When I want a better quality picture I'll use a camera or buy a more expensive Android device.

I have limited experience with Android devices. My first Android experience was with the Pandigital white Novel which isn't an android device I'd recommend. The Vizio's battery life isn't awesome; however, doing things like turning off unused services, WiFi!, will help increase the battery life and make it quite liveable. The battery is, so far, good for at least 8-10 hours of use. I'm using the device more than I likely will in the future so it may well last up to two days before it needs a charge. I'm not holding my breath though.

So, from me it's . For the money I give the Vizio VTAB1008 5 stars. It really sets a higher standard in its price range and puts, likely unwelcome, pressure on higher priced Android tablets to justify their price. Rumor has it that Vizio plans to release the Honeycomb Android OS sometime in the next few months. I'm looking forward to that.
Njall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:51 AM   #4
kenyatelecommuni
kenyatelecommuni began at the beginning.

Device: none
new technology give price wars
kenyatelecommuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:25 AM   #5
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I love the idea of a tablet but can't seem to rationalize the cost of them. I have a server in the basemenet and laptop that runs around all over the house. Would introduce a tablet except that I can't place third party software on it unless they are applets and this one is not.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2011, 12:00 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I love the idea of a tablet but can't seem to rationalize the cost of them. I have a server in the basemenet and laptop that runs around all over the house. Would introduce a tablet except that I can't place third party software on it unless they are applets and this one is not.
When you say "this one is not" what in the world are you talking about?
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:42 PM   #7
tomereader
Zealot
tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ectaco JBL, Archos 5, 7, 70, Kindle DXG, Craig 7, Vizio Vtab
I had been looking at the nook color for 2-3 months but let that vizio review by Lisa from mobiletechreview

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/tabl...zio-Tablet.htm

talk me into the vizio 8 inch which I just received this last tuesday

other forums specific to the vizio

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/vizio-tablets/

mention battery and heat issues which I have as well the heat can be reduced by turning virtually all apps not in use off, wifi, gps, sync, background data off and the screen brightness down and the battery usage gets slightly better, about 5-6 hours a charge (until the low battery warning comes up) running only ereaders (trying coolreader, moon+, fbreader, kobo, nook, and aldiko now) but still not at the 10? or 11? hours I thought I remembered from the adverts...

detailed review of vizio: http://www.slashgear.com/vizio-tablet-review-06168819/

and of course with my money already committed (even though I'm about 70% going to return the vizio for overall slowness and possible defective battery) it figures there is a one day nook color sale for $149 mentioned in todays cnet the cheapskate:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13845_3-20...ag=mncol;title

amazon is pretty good about returns so might take a chance and get the nook today before getting the refund started...

oh in short as an ereader the vizio is _okay_ it only freezes up about once an hour, the touch screen is a bit skittish and the bezel width isn't right for my thumb size: when I grip it my thumb overlaps over the screen an eighth? of an inch and the pages jump around

it played the two games I downloaded angry birds okay raging thunder poorly,

as that detailed review mentions it is sluggish when trying to do two things at once and the browsing speed was very slow for me, loading web pages, it reminded me of my webtv days from 1998

battery issues are pretty much my number one concern as my old archos 5 it 500gb is pretty much permanently tethered to an extension cord, I am wanting a more mobile device (yes, yes I could just cart the cord with me from outlet to outlet but some rooms the outlets be filled

edit-> after thought even though the cost has come down to about $290 the other faster more powerful 7 and 10 inchers are not too far from that price and if another $100 coupon deal like the one Staples had comes up again..... this "inbetweener" (size and price) might get passed over

oh it figures the one reason you might get this over another tablet as it is supposed to be an excellent IR remote -> no tv here

Last edited by tomereader; 09-16-2011 at 06:49 PM.
tomereader is offline   Reply With Quote