View Full Version : Help Needed

Robert Scott
07-12-2011, 10:05 AM
Hello everyone,

I just tried to validate an epub document and it failed, telling me that it was "not valid or contains warnings."

It "passed" a preflight test, and it referred me to this board for assistance.

The file is roughly 29,000 words. I used PDF Converter to convert it from PDF format to a Word .doc file.

In all formats that I checked from Smashwords, the formatting is off. Some formats toss random characters in, some improperly format headers and page numbers, and more.

Anyone have a clue how to repair the file that is needed by Smashwords? I'm a writer, not a computer guru. I need a "clean" version that would be accepted by all formats in Smashwords.

Replies welcome ... however, if you reply, could you reply here AND via email to rjscottiii@aol.com?

Many thanks!

khalleron
07-12-2011, 10:22 AM
Copy and paste into Wordpad - this should clean up a lot of the garbage from your conversion process.

Sorry, no, I'm not emailing you.

mr ploppy
07-12-2011, 11:09 AM
The file is roughly 29,000 words. I used PDF Converter to convert it from PDF format to a Word .doc file.

That is where you went wrong, there are no conversion programs that will accurately strip the text from a PDF because of the way they are built. Presumably you didn't write it in a PDF creator, so use the original file instead. Or if the PDF is all you have, use an OCR program on it and proof-read it for errors.

khalleron
07-12-2011, 06:10 PM
I was going to recommend the Smashwords Style Guide, but I went there and see that you've reviewed it.

Did you actually follow it, step-by-step? The only thing you say you did, both here and there, was buy a conversion program - which obviously, by itself, is not cutting it.

I followed the guide, step-by-step, and my book came out very nice.