Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-09-2011, 12:17 PM   #1
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
Need help with Coby MID7024 tablet

When I plug this in to my computer with the USB, it says New Hardware Found, then a box comes up that says Installing Driver Software. Then it asks me to insert a disc if one came with it and it didn't, so I click Choose another method to install (or something like that). Then I get a message that says "Windows was unable to install your Android. Windows could not find driver software for your device." So I did a Google search for Driver Software for Coby MID7024 but I can't find anything that looks like what I need.

Can anybody help? Thanks!
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:02 PM   #2
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG4003 View Post
When I plug this in to my computer with the USB, it says New Hardware Found, then a box comes up that says Installing Driver Software. Then it asks me to insert a disc if one came with it and it didn't, so I click Choose another method to install (or something like that). Then I get a message that says "Windows was unable to install your Android. Windows could not find driver software for your device." So I did a Google search for Driver Software for Coby MID7024 but I can't find anything that looks like what I need.

Can anybody help? Thanks!
Hi Patricia-
Sounds like your USB may be in "Host Mode". Go to your settings menu and scroll down to "Advanced settings". At the bottom of that screen you will find the "USB Mode"option. The green check mark should be lit and the the small print should say "USB device mode". Before you try again, power cycle the Coby and your PC.

If you are new to the USB operation let me know. There are a couple of tips that may come in handy.

Regards - John

P.S. The USB driver that comes installed with your PC should be all you need and the Coby should appear as a mass storage device to your PC.
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2011, 08:42 PM   #3
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi John, I should have just PM'd you! I checked that setting you said to, the green check mark is there and it does say USB device mode. Any other suggestions?
Old 07-10-2011, 12:14 PM   #4
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I need to ask a couple of questions.

1. How are you cabled (USB hub, cable(S))?
2. What PC OS are you running?
3. Has it ever worked?
4. Have you updated your firmware or attempted to?
5. Can you use other USB devices on your PC (thumb drives or cameras etc)?

Regards - John

P.S. If I think of other questions I'll edit this post.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:40 PM   #5
PG4003
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabby View Post
I need to ask a couple of questions.

1. How are you cabled (USB hub, cable(S))?
2. What PC OS are you running?
3. Has it ever worked?
4. Have you updated your firmware or attempted to?
5. Can you use other USB devices on your PC (thumb drives or cameras etc)?

Regards - John

P.S. If I think of other questions I'll edit this post.
Hi John, to answer your questions:
1. I'm just using the USB cord that came with the Coby.
2. Windows Vista.
3. No, it's never worked.
4. Haven't done any updates since I received it.
5. Yes, I plug in my Nook to transfer library books, my Sansa Clip to transfer audio books, my camera to download pictures.

Thanks!
Advert
Old 07-11-2011, 08:26 PM   #6
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member

Hi Patricia-

I just hooked up the Coby to a Vista machine and it worked fine. No problem with the drivers.

A coupe of things to try.

Use your Sansa Clip USB cable to connect the Coby (it works with mine).

To check out the Coby USB port, connect the little short cable that came with the Coby and plug in a USB mouse (wired or wireless). Go to settings and uncheck the devise mode that you looked at the other day. If the mouse works the USB port is OK.

If the change of cable does not work but the mouse does you have a PC driver problem. Many times this is not a lack of the proper driver but rather a driver conflict. Sometimes you add cameras etc. that install their own poorly written drivers that cause conflicts with other devices. In fact this has happened to me and it was a camera. It took me a half a day to figure it out and uninstall the offending driver. I got a card reader and unload my photos by removing the memory card and putting it in the card reader.

Regards - John
Old 07-12-2011, 05:23 PM   #7
PG4003
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabby View Post
Hi Patricia-

......To check out the Coby USB port, connect the little short cable that came with the Coby and plug in a USB mouse (wired or wireless). Go to settings and uncheck the devise mode that you looked at the other day. If the mouse works the USB port is OK.

Regards - John
John, yes the USB cord for the Sansa Clip does work with the Coby. I used it, with the same results as before.

And I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean about the statement above, plug in a USB mouse ?
Old 07-12-2011, 08:00 PM   #8
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG4003 View Post
John, yes the USB cord for the Sansa Clip does work with the Coby. I used it, with the same results as before.

And I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean about the statement above, plug in a USB mouse ?
The Coby came with a 3" cable with a male micro usb connector on one end and a female full sized usb connector on the other. This cable allows the Coby to act as a host (master) as opposed to a "device" (slave).

When the Coby is in "host" mode it will accept a mouse or a keyboard. You will see an arrow pointer that you can move around if all is working well. You can use a wired mouse or a wireless mouse. Make sure you go to settings and uncheck the USB mode switch. When the check mark is lit it means the USB is in "device mode" while unlit means that you are in "host mode".

The purpose of this test is to see if the Coby is at fault. In any event, I've heard tell that Coby USA is good about handling warranty service. So here is a link to their support page. (scroll down for phone number)

http://www.cobyusa.com/?p=support

Regards - John

Last edited by Jabby; 07-12-2011 at 08:03 PM.