View Full Version : Preparing old book for EPUB

CazMar
07-07-2011, 09:23 PM
Having seen the wonderful work some of our MR gang do preparing old books for us to download I thought I would spend some time tidying up a Google scan of Windelband's History of Ancient Philosophy. This was all working OK until I came to the first piece of Ancient Greek. I had to write it out in Unicode (which works) but by the time I had reached about the 15th piece of Greek I was becoming totally sick of the whole thing! The OCR that Google uses turns Greek into a string of gibberish. Has anyone out there tried to scan and convert a non-Roman alphabet with any success? Any tricks and tips to pass on? I am just trying to avoid having to retype every piece of Greek.

charleski
07-07-2011, 09:53 PM
Well, it looks like you're going to have to OCR the Greek parts yourself. Most decent OCR packages shouldn't have a problem beyond the fact that they're setup for modern Greek, and so will miss a lot of the diacritical marks. This is what happens in ABBYY Finereader - it recognises the basic Greek letterforms without any problems, but fails to capture the diacritics.

pholy
07-07-2011, 11:53 PM
There's also a special Greek font (http://apagreekkeys.org/NAUdownload.html) with all those diacritics at the American Philological Association. They have some programs for Windows and Macs to make it easier to type. too.

I haven't used any of that - I ran across it just a few days ago.

CazMar
07-07-2011, 11:53 PM
I must admit I hadn't thought of rescanning the book - that is a very good idea and might be a lot tidier than Google's efforts. I don't mind if it misses a few diacritical marks, but at least gives the sense of the quotation.