Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-07-2011, 07:17 PM   #1
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Question Notion Ink Adam: Anyone?

I was very interested, but because of permanent delays somehow totally forgot about it.
Today I've googled for some reviews. Seems to be interesting enough.
Does anyone actually have it? And ordered via what channels? Experience?

Last edited by mgmueller; 07-07-2011 at 10:15 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:57 AM   #2
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I would suggest you check the XDA-Developers forum, they have a Notion Ink section. The only one I know who has one is the DJSteve, the guy who works on ROMs for our Dell Streak.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2011, 04:24 AM   #3
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
I would suggest you check the XDA-Developers forum, they have a Notion Ink section. The only one I know who has one is the DJSteve, the guy who works on ROMs for our Dell Streak.
Do you know, what the general feedback is?
Is it worth considering?
Old 07-08-2011, 05:16 AM   #4
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=892

The reviews are mixed, some love it, some moved on to something else. The PixelQi screen gets good reviews for outdoors viewing (not that you will need much of that in Germany ) but the viewing angles are not very good.

It seems easily hackable but the "out-of-the-box" software isn't very good.

I had never wanted to buy it, so I haven't looked at it in much detail. Since you are a collector of new technology items it seems a little dated, perhaps wait for a Mirasol or something?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:39 AM   #5
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Do you know, what the general feedback is?
Is it worth considering?
I've read a lot of negative feedback about the screen quality, which was the biggest selling point of the device.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2011, 09:09 AM   #6
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
I've read a lot of negative feedback about the screen quality, which was the biggest selling point of the device.
I guess, that's for the Mirasol version?
The LCD version should be similar to all the others? But then again: As you said, Mirasol was the main selling point...(And the form factor did seem pretty neat as well).
Old 07-09-2011, 10:42 AM   #7
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Just for the record, pixel qi and mirasol are different techs. I don't think mirasol has actually been built into a model on the market yet. I don't remember pixel qi's laptop screens receiving as much skepticism as the notion ink PQ version got in reviews, so hopefully it isn't irredeemable either. I'd love to have any tech in that basic family on my phone and tablet, but clearly neither is ready for primetime because no major manufacturer has touched them for a real life product.

Adam's other claim to fame is the swiveling camera. Front-facing and back-facing. And anything in between I suppose. Not of much interest to me, but there it is. They were trying to develop their own family of apps, but I hear you can root and install the android market, and I imagine the amazon store as well.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:15 AM   #8
mrpotts
Connoisseur
mrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Digital Paper, Amazon Paperwhite
Smile Adam Owner speaks his mind

Hi All,

I'll add my two cents as I own two Notion Ink Adams (NIA), one in LCD and one in Pixel Qi. I also have the HTC Google Nexus One which makes for good comparison to vanilla Android, which I love.

First the NIA negatives:
Software:
The initial Eden sucked. So many bugs I stopped using the tablet to wait for a ROM. Once I did EdenX the tablet changed alot for the better, market access, apps weren't crashing, etc. I still do not understand why NI didn't release a hardware-powerful tablet with stock Android which Google is working to ensure works so well. They really shot themselves in the foot with this and may bankrupt the company if no one buy them anymore. I feel they did not practice the KISS principle, Keep It Simple Stupid, and over-engineered the software.
I will say that now the Mail'd app works well, 180 degree change since the last NIA update.
Dolphin browser is now standard and works well.
I've side-loaded Market.apk and this is working successfully to install whatever I want.
Gallery (pics & Video) has some hiccups.
Navigation of different apps is somewhat cumbersome to me. With my N1, I have 5 home screens divided into basic subjects, utllities, internet, multimedia, etc. Within each page I have folders where I keep all my apps and this works well for me. At the most, a swipe-tap-tap and I can open any app on my phone. The Adam is not this way. Open up the horizontal loader and swipe and swipe and swipe while keeping your eyes peeled for the right icon, or type in the search box which is slow to do, or open the all apps page which is finicky to get to. Not smooth for any option.
Keyboard is a pain in the ass. Always entering the wrong digit, or entering multiple digits of the one I press, either way a backspace. No vibration mode working which I find the key to typing fast in my N1. The keyboard should just work better and also be translucent or with a clear background so you feel like not as much screen real estate is being taken up.

Hardware:
Weight: Heavy. At least compared to the iPad which is setting the bar now. I could see added weight over the iPad for the increased specs but the NIA is about 3-4 iPads comparing size and weight.
Camara: While a great idea, feels not very durable and I am careful with it. One accidental knock & I could see the whole assembly shattering.
Screen: It's just not as responsive compared to my N1, and it should be. Continual hangups, wrong command understood, misc. annoyances that individually don't mean alot but cumulatively are annoying.

The Positives:
-I don't have a iPad. Sad but I'm just not into Apples OS restrictions.
-Basically, the NIA is a well working tablet that is doing what I want, and I have the ability to tweak if I want to add/change something.
Multimedia play is good, speakers loud.
-Full functionality of PDF documents, highlighting, commenting, note-taking, etc. This was most important to me and my main interest in eReaders and tablets.
-I'm happy to support an Indian company taking a risk and putting a basically good product out. If they are able to hang in there I feel the product will only get better, the fan base more loyal, and the customization very creative.
Cheers,
Phil
mrpotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:24 AM   #9
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpotts View Post
Hi All,

I'll add my two cents as I own two Notion Ink Adams (NIA), one in LCD and one in Pixel Qi. I also have the HTC Google Nexus One which makes for good comparison to vanilla Android, which I love.

First the NIA negatives:
Software:
The initial Eden sucked. So many bugs I stopped using the tablet to wait for a ROM. Once I did EdenX the tablet changed alot for the better, market access, apps weren't crashing, etc. I still do not understand why NI didn't release a hardware-powerful tablet with stock Android which Google is working to ensure works so well. They really shot themselves in the foot with this and may bankrupt the company if no one buy them anymore. I feel they did not practice the KISS principle, Keep It Simple Stupid, and over-engineered the software.
I will say that now the Mail'd app works well, 180 degree change since the last NIA update.
Dolphin browser is now standard and works well.
I've side-loaded Market.apk and this is working successfully to install whatever I want.
Gallery (pics & Video) has some hiccups.
Navigation of different apps is somewhat cumbersome to me. With my N1, I have 5 home screens divided into basic subjects, utllities, internet, multimedia, etc. Within each page I have folders where I keep all my apps and this works well for me. At the most, a swipe-tap-tap and I can open any app on my phone. The Adam is not this way. Open up the horizontal loader and swipe and swipe and swipe while keeping your eyes peeled for the right icon, or type in the search box which is slow to do, or open the all apps page which is finicky to get to. Not smooth for any option.
Keyboard is a pain in the ass. Always entering the wrong digit, or entering multiple digits of the one I press, either way a backspace. No vibration mode working which I find the key to typing fast in my N1. The keyboard should just work better and also be translucent or with a clear background so you feel like not as much screen real estate is being taken up.

Hardware:
Weight: Heavy. At least compared to the iPad which is setting the bar now. I could see added weight over the iPad for the increased specs but the NIA is about 3-4 iPads comparing size and weight.
Camara: While a great idea, feels not very durable and I am careful with it. One accidental knock & I could see the whole assembly shattering.
Screen: It's just not as responsive compared to my N1, and it should be. Continual hangups, wrong command understood, misc. annoyances that individually don't mean alot but cumulatively are annoying.

The Positives:
-I don't have a iPad. Sad but I'm just not into Apples OS restrictions.
-Basically, the NIA is a well working tablet that is doing what I want, and I have the ability to tweak if I want to add/change something.
Multimedia play is good, speakers loud.
-Full functionality of PDF documents, highlighting, commenting, note-taking, etc. This was most important to me and my main interest in eReaders and tablets.
-I'm happy to support an Indian company taking a risk and putting a basically good product out. If they are able to hang in there I feel the product will only get better, the fan base more loyal, and the customization very creative.
Cheers,
Phil
Thanks a lot for those insights.
What about the screen quality?
Especially as you can compare them both...
Which one did you buy first and why the second one after that?
Old 07-10-2011, 03:43 PM   #10
mrpotts
Connoisseur
mrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Digital Paper, Amazon Paperwhite
Why did I buy two. Good question. I guess the most accurate answer is I had money to blow at the time.
Basically I was watching the whole NIA thing for awhile. I had an alert on ereaders back in early 2009 and became aware of the NIA production. As it got close to launch I still did not have an ereader or tablet that met my PDF requirements. So then they sent me a first round invite to purchase, but I was working in Europe and the time zone screwed me. On the night/day of the first sale, I went tobed at midnight with the sale not yet opened and woke up at 6am and the Pixel Qi's were sold out. I was in shock. So I bought the LCD because I still didn't have a tablet and this closest fit my needs (so I hoped). 3 months later they sent me a notice of the PxQi available soon so I bought one because I could. I like the Pixel Qi screen better as it gives you more options in different viewing light.
Cheers,
Phil
mrpotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:37 AM   #11
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
Jumping to reply, before reading posts.

If you want to get it, I suggest you to get an Adam from people who resell it, like craigslist etc., Thats the Easiest, quickest way to get it and also cheaper. (all standard warnings apply for such transactions)
Many sell it because they expected a start-up to better the Apple and got grossly disappointed.

I have the PQI/Wifi. Got it from a Gumtree seller from London.

I got it knowing its issues, mainly because its the first major one from India and has the PQI screen and am happy with it.

You will be satisfied if you start with a clean slate, forgetting Ipad, playbook etc.,

Biggest and most irritating issue: Battery Drain; Battery leaks badly and may drain overnight.

Custom ROMs are the best here. I dont like the stock Rom.
Its fun to have due to lots of ROMs. Juggling around with various makes it interesting. Many of them are quite stable. Some are ultra-fast like clemsys, and some slow, like the HC ports.

Damn Google for playing favorites with HC.

I havent actually taken it out for reading, but will be a good choice, after my Kindle. But again, battery.
PQI screen maybe disappointing if you compare with ipad etc.,
But i like it, less glare and all.

In all, it will score less in most aspects, than most of the top notch android tablets. But it is still up there along with the rest.
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:08 PM   #12
Franky
Nameless Being

I gottah say I'm very happy. Its a real ipad killer from my perspective. I don't have the pixel qi yet, but the normal version. Hammer. Wants you start with it you forget there is a much more expensive, with less possibilities ie hdmi, usb etc, tablet called ipad. It will be your own tablet and nobody restrict you on what you put on it.

Uhm, yeah, i think the NI Adam is great.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:01 PM   #13
savethebutterfly
Nameless Being

I was going to buy the Adam because of the Pixel Qi screen. And I was waiting and waiting and waiting, and the Asus Transformer came along and I'd bought that instead, because it was actually available and because it seemed to be what I wanted. I am very, very happy with it. I think I'd still be waiting for the Adam now - maybe when Adam 2 is out and available to buy in the UK, I will consider it again. It's good to know that you are happy with it!