Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-28-2011, 04:38 PM   #1
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Homemade capacitance stylus

This is about as simple as it gets.

1. A length of 1/4" copper tubing to fit comfortably as a stylus

2. A one inch, or so, of a foam strip cut from the foam that a CPU or other
IC component comes stuck into.

Smooth all the cut edges of the copper tubing with sandpaper or emery
cloth.

Compress and push the foam strip into one end of the copper tube until
only 1/4" sticks out. (Trim it to a point if you want.)
--------------

Works fine on my Eee Pad Transformer.

Luck;
Ken

PS; If you use a little longer strip and fold it in half then compress the foam and
push the open ends into the copper tube you can get a denser less spongy end, but
if you overdo it it doesn't work as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Homemade_Stylus.jpg
Views:	771
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	73509  

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 07-01-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:53 PM   #2
tomereader
Zealot
tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ectaco JBL, Archos 5, 7, 70, Kindle DXG, Craig 7, Vizio Vtab
for my archos 5 the cap to a bic pen (cristal bic) works fine, and probably won't set off any metal detectors

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bic_Cristal
tomereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2011, 12:03 AM   #3
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm... I am under the impression that the Archos 5 has a resistive not capacitance
touchscreen. For that you could just use a toothpick.

Luck;
Ken
Old 06-29-2011, 02:00 AM   #4
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
I use, if I need it (mostly if I am drawing sthing) a NDS stylus. Cheap, comes in any given color, can get them very easily, so I have two or three in my tablet bag. And it works perfectly fine on my acer iconia, it does too on the PB IQ my son uses.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:21 AM   #5
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Not sure what the grid based touchscreen of the Acer Iconia is all about but the
PocketBook IQ uses a resistive touchscreen. I don't think the plastic NDS stylus
would work properly on a capacitance screen.

Luck;
Ken
Advert
Old 06-29-2011, 01:46 PM   #6
tomereader
Zealot
tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ectaco JBL, Archos 5, 7, 70, Kindle DXG, Craig 7, Vizio Vtab
The archos 5 screen is 4 1/8 x 2.5 inches and with vision problems it's just easier for me to use something smaller than the tip of a fingernail to use onscreen keyboard or in some settings screens

toothpick = too small, breakable .... for me a bic pen is cheap needed as a pen and somehow I usually end up with more caps than pens in the "junk drawer"
tomereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:44 PM   #7
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Not sure what the grid based touchscreen of the Acer Iconia is all about but the
PocketBook IQ uses a resistive touchscreen. I don't think the plastic NDS stylus
would work properly on a capacitance screen.

Luck;
Ken
the acer's is capacitive, and the NDS stylus works very well.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:28 PM   #8
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I never would've thought the foam would work for a capacitive display... Good job giving me some ideas for home-made stylus....styluses? Styli? Styluseses?

Yeah, those things.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:23 PM   #9
Conor
Groupie
Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomereader View Post
for my archos 5 the cap to a bic pen (cristal bic) works fine, and probably won't set off any metal detectors

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bic_Cristal
http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-revi...owViewpoints=1
Conor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:58 PM   #10
sylph44
sylph44 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
This is about as simple as it gets.

1. A length of 1/4" copper tubing to fit comfortably as a stylus

2. A one inch, or so, of a foam strip cut from the foam that a CPU or other
IC component comes stuck into.

Smooth all the cut edges of the copper tubing with sandpaper or emery
cloth.

Compress and push the foam strip into one end of the copper tube until
only 1/4" sticks out. (Trim it to a point if you want.)
--------------

Works fine on my Eee Pad Transformer.

Luck;
Ken

PS; If you use a little longer strip and fold it in half then compress the foam and
push the open ends into the copper tube you can get a denser less spongy end, but
if you overdo it it doesn't work as well.
Hello Mr. Maltby,
I'm paralyzed & type with a stick I hold between my teeth. Would your homemade stylus make it possible foe me to use touchscreens & touchpads?
Thank you.
sylph44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:45 PM   #11
Ken Maltby
Wizard

The simple capacitance stylus I made would work but you might want to wrap some of the conductive foam around the part you put in your mouth. The copper would taste bad and could be toxic over a long exposure. The conductive covering should let it keep working. There needs to be a conductive path between your body and the touchscreen.

Luck;
Ken