Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-25-2011, 10:05 AM   #1
bob123
Addict
bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Cybook
Book store?

Hi I am looking for a good ebook store. I am currently using the kobo store. My problem is that whenever I go to buy a book it advertises their ebook reader. I really don't need to buy a new reader. then one I have not is really quite good! However when I look at the kobo page they make the kobo sound so great (sure it is but the cybooks great too!) I end up wasting a lot of time looking up about the reader to see if it is better then the one I have even though mine is fine and I don't need a new ebook reader yet.
So I am wondering if anyone know of a good ebook store that is not tied to a brand of ereader?
thank you
bob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:46 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It's just easy to ignore the advert.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2011, 10:56 AM   #3
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MeeBook, Kobo Libra Colour
Nice way to NOT answer the question, Wolf.

Try Books on Board, bob123.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:35 PM   #4
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
I agree...Books on Board is the only ebook store I use.
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:15 PM   #5
bob123
Addict
bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's just easy to ignore the advert.
Maybe... But if there is a good alternative why not use that?
Advert
Old 06-25-2011, 09:17 PM   #6
bob123
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post

Try Books on Board, bob123.
Thanks it looks good. (even remembered to ask for my postal code instead of zip code!)
Old 06-27-2011, 06:47 AM   #7
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob123 View Post
Thanks it looks good. (even remembered to ask for my postal code instead of zip code!)
If you're not a US customer, they may still refuse you some ebooks because of geographic restrictions.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:58 AM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I've had good experiences with both Book on Board and Diesel eBooks.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:19 AM   #9
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
There's B&N, Amazon, Apple iBooks and many others.

Ignoring ads is so easy, though...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:32 AM   #10
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Books on Board is my first choice for e-books. Then Smashwords & Kobo.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:59 AM   #11
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I've asked for info about offering my book through BooksOnBoard, but I'm not super-optimistic that it'll be worth the trouble.

It bothers me that I have to ask for info to find out what the deal is. It's like buying windows: When you go to the Home Expo and ask how much a window is and they say, "Our salesman will come to your home and give you a quote," it's always best to say "No thanks!" (It will be a cold day in hell before I let another @#%*! window salesman in my home! It had to practically beat the last one out with a 2x4.)

But okay, that aside, right now B&N makes up about 2% of my sales, through PubIt!. Amazon makes up the other 98%. Smashwords (which includes Kobo, Sony, Diesel, and Apple) hasn't sold a book in months, according to my sales report. Is it really worthwhile to add yet another outlet that may never sell enough copies to warrant issuing a check?
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:03 PM   #12
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
I've asked for info about offering my book through BooksOnBoard, but I'm not super-optimistic that it'll be worth the trouble.

It bothers me that I have to ask for info to find out what the deal is. It's like buying windows: When you go to the Home Expo and ask how much a window is and they say, "Our salesman will come to your home and give you a quote," it's always best to say "No thanks!" (It will be a cold day in hell before I let another @#%*! window salesman in my home! It had to practically beat the last one out with a 2x4.)

But okay, that aside, right now B&N makes up about 2% of my sales, through PubIt!. Amazon makes up the other 98%. Smashwords (which includes Kobo, Sony, Diesel, and Apple) hasn't sold a book in months, according to my sales report. Is it really worthwhile to add yet another outlet that may never sell enough copies to warrant issuing a check?

He's not looking for a place to sell books - he's looking for a place to buy them.

If you want to discuss where to sell books, perhaps you should start your own thread.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:00 AM   #13
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oops. Sorry for the thread drift. Mods, feel free to delete.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:36 AM   #14
J. Strnad
Guru

Okay, it's been two full days with no more responses, so at the risk of incurring Kate's wrath again....

I haven't heard back from Books on Board about listing my book. Also...and Kate, this is actually germaine to the discussion...a lot of the indie authors I buy aren't there. For instance, I just picked up (from Amazon) a couple of books from one of my favorite writers, Richard Matheson: I Am Legend and The Shrinking Man. Neither seems to be available at Books on Board.

Since I'm buying a lot of indies these days because of the agency pricing model, Books On Board wouldn't suit my particular needs, especially as my only bookstore.

But I guess it's an alternative.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:59 PM   #15
khalleron
Kate

Wow, BoB doesn't offer my book, either!

You're right, they are a lousy bookstore!

<irony flag>