Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 06-15-2011, 05:06 PM   #1
geneven1
Enthusiast
geneven1 began at the beginning.

Device: P. Edge, Kindle, N800-810-900
Speech to text

Is anyone besides me playing with the FlexT9 text input for speech to text ? have been getting pretty impressive results as long as I keep the sentences short and turn off the option of automatically stopping the sentences when there is silence so that you have to tap the screen to stop.

in fact I'm writing most of this message with speech to text except for having to put in a few corrections by hand. the program is from nuance which is the speech to text king. I own dragon naturally speaking pro and wonder if I could use some of the commands from that program but it doesn't seem to be so.

I find inputting text without a real keyboard quite awkward on these tablets so a really viable spoken word alternative would be great. This may be good enough.
geneven1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:16 PM   #2
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
The speech to text in the FlexT9 app is actually made by the people who make dragon, its just a slimmed down version... I haven't tried the app yet(I got it on the free day but haven't gotten around to installing it yet), but right now I'm using hackerskeyboard(a recommendation by someone around here), and I find it to be quite nice.
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2011, 05:49 PM   #3
thorne
thorne began at the beginning.

Device: entourage edge
Slide it is awesome for inputting text. I don't know how people get along with the old 'hunt-n-peck' method.
thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:18 PM   #4
janhall_us
Enthusiast
janhall_us can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejanhall_us can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejanhall_us can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejanhall_us can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejanhall_us can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejanhall_us can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejanhall_us can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejanhall_us can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejanhall_us can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejanhall_us can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejanhall_us can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Kindle2, Pocket eDGe, (full-size) eDGe, Nexus 7, Galaxy Note 10.1
I love FlexT9 too and it has a sliding keyboard, handwriting, and speech to text mode! It seems to get smarter too with suggestions as I wasn't really that impressed at first since I'd been using DioPen (which is fabulous!) but FlexT9 just keeps getting better and better. The slider is extremely accurate now even if I completely miss a letter.
janhall_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 04:27 PM   #5
pyxiwulf
Connoisseur
pyxiwulf began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
love the FlexT9. My 5 year old does too, she's always asking me to turn on the handwriting pad for her
pyxiwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2011, 11:28 PM   #6
littleal
littleal began at the beginning.

Device: Hindle DX and Entiurage edge
dowmloading without an anfroid phone

As I'm visually impaired I need a Text to Speech, Speech to text apps for the Edge. I have tried to get FlexT9 etc but I always get the message that I do not have a phone.
Any suggectuins, please
Also does anyone know anything abouit changing the contrast on the reader.
I/m runnung Ermine
Also although I have access to the Market, every app I try to get will not install. Reasons?

Last edited by littleal; 07-10-2011 at 11:34 PM. Reason: more info
littleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:01 AM   #7
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleal View Post
As I'm visually impaired I need a Text to Speech, Speech to text apps for the Edge. I have tried to get FlexT9 etc but I always get the message that I do not have a phone.
Any suggectuins, please
I/m runnung Ermine
Also although I have access to the Market, every app I try to get will not install. Reasons?
I have Ermine 1.01.001. I installed Amazon Appstore, downloaded FlexT9 from it and successfully installed it. Just trying to extract it from my PE. If I am able to do that I'll send it to you. Give me a few moments.
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:19 AM   #8
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleal View Post
Any suggectuins, please
I/m runnung Ermine
Here it is, just remove .doc extension.

P.S. I shouldn't have attached it here. Reply to my pm with your e-mail and I'll send it to you.

Last edited by ptsenter; 07-11-2011 at 12:31 AM.
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:58 AM   #9
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
That is nice of you, ptsenter!

Does FlexT9 do text to speech, as well as speech to text??
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:27 AM   #10
geneven1
Enthusiast
geneven1 began at the beginning.

Device: P. Edge, Kindle, N800-810-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
That is nice of you, ptsenter!

Does FlexT9 do text to speech, as well as speech to text??
Not that I have noticed
geneven1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:51 PM   #11
woodnboats
woodnboats began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
Here's an interesting free app which does limited text-to-speech, speech-to-text along with translation among several languages.

Not for input into apps, though.

Also, needs 'Net access to work, since the speech engines are on their server.

http://www.appbrain.com/app/talk-to-...talktome.cloud

Kirk
woodnboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:29 PM   #12
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnboats View Post
Here's an interesting free app which does limited text-to-speech, speech-to-text along with translation among several languages.

Not for input into apps, though.

Also, needs 'Net access to work, since the speech engines are on their server.

http://www.appbrain.com/app/talk-to-...talktome.cloud

Kirk

Vlingo is a pretty cool speech to text program.

http://www.vlingo.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7cNlIeQNl8

http://mobileplanet-waryam.blogspot....2563-2563.html

There are two versions of Talk to Me. Both can be downloaded directly from here:

http://www.flaviuapps.com/index.php/downloads

You also have to have Voice Search installed for these to work:

http://www.freewarelovers.com/android/app/voice-search

Last edited by obsessed2; 07-12-2011 at 12:41 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote