View Full Version : Help Unbricking PE

vicinc
06-14-2011, 11:50 PM
I managed to brick my PE today... oops. I did have ermine on it and tried to get the market from my phone. all went fine until trying to edit build.prop as per forum procedure
it did reboot on trying to save and does not pass the entourage edge logo. I reset it and tried to flash with dingo golden update from a 2 gb usb formated with fat32. just does not go in the recovery mode by pressing menu+rotate on boot. please help.

emusan
06-15-2011, 12:23 AM
you might want to try a few more times going into recovery mode, also did you rename the golden update to update.zip? Also, make sure you are holding the menu+rotate for 7+ seconds(until it starts flashing or something else). If that doesn't work(or if you've already tried all of this) let us know...

Last_of_the_PEs
06-15-2011, 01:59 AM
Uh oh! One little PE went to market... one little PE stayed home...

sorry. had to.

vicinc
06-15-2011, 05:17 AM
Tried few times, renamed to update.zip of course, same usb stick that did the initial update to ermine

vicinc
06-15-2011, 05:29 AM
On my Adam you can not go wrong as it goes to a recovery menu when pressing volume up an slide the power. nothing like this on adam. I am so upset as this was supposed to be my toddler daughter tablet and I managed to brick it now.

kennyminot
06-15-2011, 10:19 AM
I have done this a couple times, and here is my advice . . .

1. Don't panic. As long as your system boots, it's not bricked. You're not experiencing any kind of hardware failure so you should be able to restore it to factory settings.

2. I've borked my device in two cases with Ermine. In both cases, I've had to restore by first reverting back to Dingo and THEN switching to Ermine. Unfortunately, the process of getting back to Dingo is not an easy, intuitive one. The eDGe doesn't have a "recovery mode," which might be what you are used to with your other devices. In addition, getting back to Dingo is a little bit strange: you have to first flash the update, wait for twenty minutes, and then repeat the process. You just have to have faith that it will work.

OK - so here's how you do it. Essentially, you just follow the instructions on this thread:

https://www.entourageedge.com/support/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=263

And when you're all done, install the Ermine update.

Good luck!

ken_jennings
06-15-2011, 11:35 AM
Is that support page and the zip files preserved here on MobileRead? How long will it be available on the Entourage site?

kennyminot
06-15-2011, 11:48 AM
I have the PE Dingo and Ermine updates. Can I just attach these to my "Ermine Tweaks" thread? Or would I be violating some kind of forum rule? I'd be happy to compile all this information and post it to the forums, so long as nobody gets mad at me. :)

vicinc
06-15-2011, 12:27 PM
I am doing it again now, on a fresh 1gb FAT32 formatted usb. I tried all this but I am not getting to updating software at all. edge get blocked to the edge logo and than after 10 minutes get a black screen while still on. I did rooted the device with z4root first and was working fine after this, using titanium backup. I managed to install the market and the google apps fine. I played with root explorer trying to edit the build.prop after making the system RW as per instructions on this forum. unfortunately the file refused to write and rebooted while trying another editor. Than blocked to the edge screen going to black screen. Does not switch off only by keeping reset. Stupid not to have a recovery mode. Even my old Alex had that one.

vicinc
06-15-2011, 01:51 PM
does not seem to have much luck. I think I borked mine badly this time. Tried 3 usb sticks all under 2gb and fat32 formated. Nothing on the root, just the pe golden update renamed update.zip.
When started with the menu and rotate on, I can not get to update.
I starts in portrait with pocket edge and there are 4 dots, it gets progressing to the second one. than goes back to one, two, three dots. Than goes to landscape mode with entourage edge flickering to the bottom, and does flicker for 10 minutes.
Than enters a black screen. and can only be switched off by keeping the reset button for 10 seconds. Please help. I am in UK, purchased this via Amazon USA and shipped to UK by a friend. can not send it back to USA. any other kind of recovery possible?

emusan
06-15-2011, 03:09 PM
I don't know if there's anything more we can recommend... entourage left us kinda in the dust as to recovery methods... one other thing I would try, even though it probably wont do much of anything is trying a FAT formatted stick just in case. If that still fails then I am fresh out of ideas short of opening it up and finding some serial lines... sorry :(

vicinc
06-15-2011, 03:24 PM
Trying to restore build.prob using adb.
http://android.modaco.com/content/samsung-galaxy-s-s-modaco-com/313927/adb-push-through-recovery/#entry1350078
anybody having a good build.prop from a ermine please for pocket edge. also anysugestions on adb push. first time I am attempting such a thing as the golden update does not work for me and the build.prop is what I messed about on my ermine.

kennyminot
06-15-2011, 03:25 PM
1. The last two times I reverted back to Dingo, I used an sdcard. Maybe you can try using an sdcard instead of a USB drive?

2. I've successfully pushed files to my eDGe using adb, but I think I initially had some problems getting my computer to recognize the device. I'm not sure if this is going to work, though, because you need to turn on USB debugging. As I said, the device doesn't really have a "recovery mode" -- at least, not in the sense that I know it (like my Optimus V with Clockwork Mod). I'd try flashing via sdcard and then if you're still having trouble, give the adb a shot. I'll post my build.prop in a few minutes. Just need to get my device hooked up . . .

*EDIT*
I had to upload it as a *.txt. Just change the ending to *.prop.

Filark
06-15-2011, 03:34 PM
I feel so bad for you, Vicinc! :(

Nothing I can do or suggest (way beyond my pay grade), but I'm monitoring this thread hoping you get your (your daughter's? ;)) PE up and running again with the help of these good people!

emusan
06-15-2011, 03:38 PM
2. I've successfully pushed files to my eDGe using adb, but I think I initially had some problems getting my computer to recognize the device. I'm not sure if this is going to work, though, because you need to turn on USB debugging. As I said, the device doesn't really have a "recovery mode" -- at least, not in the sense that I know it (like my Optimus V with Clockwork Mod). I'd try flashing via sdcard and then if you're still having trouble, give the adb a shot. I'll post my build.prop in a few minutes. Just need to get my device hooked up . . .

he should have USB debugging enabled as its needed in order to run the z4root exploit... But whether adbd starts before his PE freezes up is my main concern with this procedure...

vicinc
06-15-2011, 05:35 PM
Thanks Kenny for the file. I am downloading the Android SDK kit. Hope the adb will work. I plugged it in my laptop and 1 drive appeared but not mounted. So it may work I hope.
I will let you know so in case somebody replicates this error trying to install the market. I do not have a mini SD that is less than 4 gb. so adb is the only option now.

vicinc
06-15-2011, 05:39 PM
She took over my Adam and is playing the Story Chimes Hansel and Grettel now. She prefers the small edge but she hate that the market does not work on it. And I hate it as I have to manually install the apps. Amazon market still does not work for us in UK.

emusan
06-15-2011, 06:12 PM
Thanks Kenny for the file. I am downloading the Android SDK kit. Hope the adb will work. I plugged it in my laptop and 1 drive appeared but not mounted. So it may work I hope.
I will let you know so in case somebody replicates this error trying to install the market. I do not have a mini SD that is less than 4 gb. so adb is the only option now.

You may still want to try the 4GB SD card, it has been known to work for some...

vicinc
06-15-2011, 08:22 PM
I manage to get the adb running even droid explorer to access the internal card and the system. but can not replace the build.prop as is saying that is read only and can not change the rights from the adb shell

kennyminot
06-15-2011, 08:50 PM
You couldn't change the rights from the shell? That's weird. Did you try this?

http://android-tricks.blogspot.com/2009/01/mount-filesystem-read-write.html

A 4GB sdcard should be plenty of space! Just put the update.zip into the root folder and try to flash with it instead of the USB drive.

ptsenter
06-15-2011, 09:08 PM
You couldn't change the rights from the shell? That's weird. Did you try this?

http://android-tricks.blogspot.com/2009/01/mount-filesystem-read-write.html

A 4GB sdcard should be plenty of space! Just put the update.zip into the root folder and try to flash with it instead of the USB drive.
Maybe it's typo, but after issuing su it should change prompt from $ to #.
To be able to issue su one has to root the device: one way is to install z4root. You can install it using adb, but I'm not sure yet how to run it.

@vicinc:
z4root just runs proper script. I don't have it yet, try to find the actual script to type it manually.

vicinc
06-15-2011, 09:32 PM
su gets me segmentation fault
device is rooted. adb works. droid explorer connects to it. I even copied the dingo gold update.zip to the internal sdcard hoping will update through this. I damaged the build.prop and I am failing to replace now. the build.prop appears as a link not file?
cat /proc/mounts
rootfs / rootfs r w 0 0

vicinc
06-15-2011, 09:40 PM
c:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell
$ su
su
[1] + Stopped (signal) su
$ cat /proc/mounts
cat /proc/mounts
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
/dev/root / ext2 ro,relatime,errors=continue 0 0
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,relatime,mode=600 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,relatime 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/asec tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
ubi:system /system ubifs ro,relatime 0 0
ubi:userdata /data ubifs rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime 0 0
ubi:cache /cache ubifs rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime 0 0
ubi:storage /intstorage ubifs rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime 0 0
tmpfs /tmp tmpfs rw,relatime,size=16384k 0 0
varrun /var/run tmpfs rw,relatime 0 0
varlock /var/lock tmpfs rw,relatime 0 0
none /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw,relatime 0 0
/dev/block/loop0 /intsdcard vfat rw,noatime,nodiratime,fmask=0000,dmask=0000,allow_ utime=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
[1] Segmentation fault su
$ mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /rootfs /system
mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /rootfs /system
do_mount: do_mount: dev /rootfs dir /system type none flags 0x8020 loop 0
do_mount: calling mount: dev /rootfs dir /system s none rwflag 0x8020
mount: Operation not permitted

vicinc
06-15-2011, 10:10 PM
got a 2 gb micro sd from my phone, formatted to both fat32 or fat but the edge recovery does not work. it is like this is disabled somehow by build.prop editing???

ptsenter
06-16-2011, 12:26 AM
I believe your problem is much deeper than build.prop:
it seems your device has been rooted as it starts running su, but su fails - you never got #. It looks like underlying Linux got corrupted, way before it got to build.prop.
Unfortunately, I can't help farther. Sorry.

vicinc
06-16-2011, 05:43 AM
so is a write off? beware guys if you are playing with the root and the market

kennyminot
06-16-2011, 10:17 AM
If you bork your system, the only option you have with the eDGe is to restore to factory settings. They didn't enable a "recovery mode" for you to work with, and the update.zip file is actually a unique creation (for some reason, they didn't choose to simply emulate the procedure of other Android builds). As such, there is nothing else to say. If you can't flash to Dingo, you don't have any other options.

vicinc
06-16-2011, 11:24 AM
can we not install some idiot proof recovery mode, too late for mine. it looks like the rooting has problems as i can not make system folder read and write. if there will be a way to make it I can replace the build.prop which is empty and a symbolic file. the update.zip does not work. tried it at least 60 times from different cards even copy it to internal memory. just thinking if i can reroot the device from console or script from androidcommander?
I am not knowledgeable at all on android, but must be a solution some tool they had to restore borked devices.

emusan
06-16-2011, 04:02 PM
The only way to add a different restore method at this point would be to create our own whole firmware, not something that I(or many others here I think) am particularly good at.

I agree with ptsenter in that this is not a problem with your build.prop, and more likely a problem with you whole OS, as the build.prop has little to nothing to do with the recovery mode etc. to my knowledge.

I know that for some people with WSOD's they had to replace the whole motherboard to fix the issue... I'm not sure if there is another way to recover, sorry.

If you want you can mess around with the shell script inside the update.zip and try to find a way to get it to copy the files you want, but other than that I don't know what else to tell ya.

And just to confirm you have tried pressing/holding down on the reset button on top of the device right?

vicinc
06-16-2011, 06:38 PM
Right. The main issue was with build.prop. the file was a symbolic link. Deleted and replaced.
Justin Case from Android Police help me an I do have a fully bootable machine.
this is the procedure. You must have ADB enabled.
QUOTE:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8699733/tbolt/psneuter

adb push psneuter /data/local/
adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/psneuter
adb shell /data/local/psneuter
adb shell

Should leave you wit ha # prompt, so you can replace build.prop
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
I am not an android developer. This is sure a software issue. I am really pissed of with the bad job Entourage did by not enabling recovery. I am flashing every week my Adam and no problem.
Now my Ermine boots but certain apps crashes. The Titanium backup works now.
The e-ink apps do not. Facebook is crashes with force close and still the menu/rotate recovery does not work.
anybody can take a full copy of a virgin PE edge with Titanium Backup and post the link to this please?
it will really help me to restore the machine. Strange the factory reset does not seem to work, apps are still on. it look like a kind of permission problem?

mr_ed
06-16-2011, 06:43 PM
Actually ... I think build.prop is the problem. There's a section in the update.sh script (inside update.golden.zip):

if [ "$UPDATE_DEVICE" != "$TARGET_DEVICE" ];

where $UPDATE_DEVICE is read from the build.prop that's in update.golden.zip and $TARGET_DEVICE is read from the build.prop already on the PE.

If the two don't match, the script ends the update process and reboots. If I understand correctly. (I really don't know scripting.) If the script has trouble reading the PE's build.prop - like if it's garbled or not there - then it won't get a matchable device name.

It looks sorta like to me that that matching attempt could be switched off (commented out) in a case like this. I'm thinking it's there primarily to keep from putting big-Edge on little-Edge and vice versa ... a safety switch that could be overriden in an emergency.

I dunno. Anybody else?

-- Ed

mr_ed
06-16-2011, 06:46 PM
Oh -- another post in the meantime. Interesting! Try opening up update.golden.zip and taking the build.prop out of there.

-- Ed

vicinc
06-16-2011, 07:05 PM
I think I got what you mean. When changing for the market fix I did change the build.prop
ro.build.fingerprint=esi/edgejr/edgejr/:0.9/ERMINE/1353:user/release-keys as per somebody instructions. editing this now an see if I can rewrite the firmware. thanks. I will report on results.

vicinc
06-16-2011, 08:22 PM
Still the update.zip on usb with menu /rotate on boot does not work unfortunately. should i comment out if [ "$UPDATE_DEVICE" != "$TARGET_DEVICE" ]; from the script? is the update.zip not crc verified or something?

vicinc
06-16-2011, 08:46 PM
I did edited out update.sh in golden update renamed but still does not boot into downgrade mode

mr_ed
06-16-2011, 08:57 PM
Hmmm, well....

By the way, although I said to use the file from update.golden.zip, that's the wrong one if you're trying to preserve ermine.

The problem shouldn't be in the update files - I've used both, to from dingo to ermine and back again - I'd expect the problem to be something that got hosed on your device the the update is looking for, and I don't think build.prop is the only place you can derail the script. It just seemed like the most logical.

Like I said before, I don't know what I'm doing ... but I'll think on it some more.

-- Ed

Filark
06-16-2011, 10:48 PM
Vicinc -- just want to say congratulations on getting partway back! Very interesting reading what you and the others are discovering/uncovering! I hope you'll all stick with it.

Good luck!! :)

mr_ed
06-16-2011, 11:49 PM
An idea from another forum - take out the internal memory card and re-do it from a known good one.

-- Ed

vicinc
06-17-2011, 04:34 AM
it would be great to have a virgin PE titanium backup I can restore, easier than disamble the unit? I also do not have another PE internal card <edit> image, it would be great to have one. if we could persuade one of the clever guys to go into an edge we could have a custom rom and one with recovery enable will enable us to experiment even more without fear of borking the device.
I did tried with both build.prop from ermine and golden, I was trying to get back to dingo to a clean virgin system but no luck so far.

mr_ed
06-17-2011, 08:38 AM
Well, and the internal "card" may not be a consumer-type card, either. It might be a soldered-in chip.

I couldn't get Titanium to run on dingo 1.13, which is what the update.golden.zip took my PE to. Root Explorer too. They both complained about not having root even though z4root had run, and when I ran it again it said the PE was already rooted. And "enable ADB" wanted a password, but not the one I'd found on the net.

So ... at this point > I < can't supply you with a Titanium'ed dingo. But I'll try ADB from the PC side with the psneuter you got and see what I can destroy. ;)

-- Ed

vicinc
06-17-2011, 09:06 AM
Mr Ed, can you get an Ermine virgin PE titanium?I could restore this and if works I can than use the update to Dingo. I can not understand how a simple build.prop edit could ruin the restore procedure. those Entourage people created they own tech issues but not having an easy recovery. little bit too late for me.

vicinc
06-17-2011, 11:14 AM
I think my permission or certain files are corrupted. when I deinstalled and app and reinstalled started working. so a copy of the edge ermine and entourage apps may help me.

kennyminot
06-17-2011, 12:44 PM
I've debated installing ClockwordMod, but I'm afraid of destroying my system. We know that Entourage used some kind of custom update.zip file, so they might not have a traditional restore partition.

vicinc
06-17-2011, 12:47 PM
kenny can you use titanium backup to backup everything on a virgin ermine please. I may get mine working with a restore.

vicinc
06-17-2011, 12:48 PM
I think robot got as far as one could without a SDK. does anybody know how to pm him?

emusan
06-17-2011, 01:42 PM
Titanium backup, as far as I know, only backs up the apps and their data, but not all of the important system data, so I think you would be better off right now editing the update.zip to make it take, or even pushing the files via adb if that's even possible... ill try some stuff out later today and see if we can get it fixed...

mr_ed
06-17-2011, 02:46 PM
Titanium backup, as far as I know, only backs up the apps and their data, but not all of the important system data....

I was thinking along those lines too, though trying a Titanium probably wouldn't hurt.

Mr Ed, can you get an Ermine virgin PE titanium?I could restore this and if works I can than use the update to Dingo.

"Updating" would sort of mean dingo to ermine, wouldn't it? Which do you want to wind up with?

-- Ed

vicinc
06-17-2011, 03:35 PM
Right here we are. I installed Rom Manager from clockwork. Did not installed the mod, just run the rom manager. This has a repair permission which will be the equivalent of the Repair permissions on Mac. And surprise! I do have a fully working tablet now. all the lcd side applications are working perfect, no crash with force close, and seems quicker than before. Also another surprise, the market is working perfect, so the edit of build.pro is NOT necessary, was a stupidity, really.
But the entourage apps are not working, the journal and the reader so I can only use it as a standard tablet, still better than nothing. any luck with a titanium backup from ermine for those apps? may be I get the update working after this.

mr_ed
06-17-2011, 05:02 PM
Sounds like you could Titanium Backup your user-installed apps, re-install ermine, and restore the apps if necessary. Or Titanium, wipe everything with a dingo install, re-up to ermine and restore.

It is ermine that you want to end up with, isn't it?

-- Ed

vicinc
06-17-2011, 05:23 PM
yes I want to end with ermine. but I want the option to have proper recovery. I can not reinstall dingo and ermine, the menu/rotate still does not work for me. so as a temporary solution can anybody do me a titanium backup of a virgin PE ermine. I will have a fully working system. The journal and reader does not work yet, so is just a dumb 7 inch tablet defeating the reason we got it for. I open a bounty for new rom development, hope we get more donors and more people interested in this Rom development.

mr_ed
06-17-2011, 06:04 PM
menu/rotate still does not work for me.

Oh. I assumed that got fixed. :(

-- Ed

vicinc
06-17-2011, 06:35 PM
no it did not!

emusan
06-17-2011, 10:26 PM
Also another surprise, the market is working perfect, so the edit of build.pro is NOT necessary, was a stupidity, really.
But the entourage apps are not working, the journal and the reader so I can only use it as a standard tablet, still better than nothing. any luck with a titanium backup from ermine for those apps? may be I get the update working after this.

Sorry to hear that you are still having problems with the entourage apps... Also, I don't know of any guide that said that editing the build.prop was necessary, in fact I think most guides said to only do so if you NEEDED to, and that you should understand the risks before doing so.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but it seems as though you are getting angry at this community for not providing you with everything you are requesting and for not solving this problem that you brought on yourself. There are TONS of disclaimers on every step of installing the market, by proceeding you should have understood the possible consequences. Again, sorry if I'm wrong but your posts are starting to take a bit of an angry tone(this is the internet though, and sometimes these things don't quite come across as we intend).

EDIT: I've been looking through the update.zip for ermine, and it does look as though you could just copy files over(thats pretty much all the shell file does after all), also, you could try copying the build.prop located in the update.zip(in tools.zip) into your system folder and trying the menu + rotate method again, it would at least rule out the build.prop as whats stopping the update...

kennyminot
06-18-2011, 01:41 AM
Just to backup what emusan said . . . except I'm going to be a little less tactful . . . :)

Editing the build.prop is a pretty safe operation. As long as you do everything right, changing the device fingerprint isn't going to mess up your machine. Reading through your posts, I can't help but feel we were missing some information, which really prevented us from helping you. I mean, you were able to boot well enough to install ROM Manager? And to realize that the permissions in your apps were messed up? When did that happen?

Finally, the reason for editing the fingerprint has nothing to do with "getting the market to work." Playing with the fingerprint might affect the kinds of apps you see in the store. The market uses the fingerprint to determine the identity of your device and then filters the available applications. If you check the store again, you might notice that your app selection is limited (or maybe not, but this is certainly what people have reported when using other tablets).

Finally, I'm mystified as to why your restore won't work. Certainly, all of us can't anticipate having that kind of problem. As I said, I've messed this thing up twice, and I was easily able to revert back to Dingo and then update back to Ermine. The fact you are having trouble with that procedure sucks, but the only reason I included those instructions is because I figured there is always a way to restore the device; in your case, that happens to be false, but that's not anything I could have predicted. There has to be something pretty serious wrong for your device not to properly restore.

vicinc
06-18-2011, 07:08 AM
I am not getting angry to the community, not at all. I hoped I could get some help, and progress everybody knowledge. What I discovered I shared with everybody. I understand what are you saying about build.prop. I restore the build.pro with the one in the ermine update, this is how I get the device working back. Indeed certain apps do not show up with the device fingerprint as it is now. Repairing the permissions helped with all the force close which I share again, if anybody has a problem like this could use this. The fact that I can not use the entourage apps has something to to with those apps being corrupted and needed reinstall. the easy way to do this is to get a titanium backup copy. I can not understand why the update procedure does not work, something got corrupted there, i just hoped somebody will help me and if somebody in the future has the same problem will have a procedure here.

emusan
06-18-2011, 10:58 AM
Ok, sorry for misinterpreting your posts. I think that your problem with the entourage apps isn't with the apps themselves, but rather with the esi libraries, which you should be able to copy from the update.zip, I'll look through it later today to see which files you will need from it and where they should be copied, but you can try some yourself until then.

vicinc
06-18-2011, 11:12 AM
I will try to copy those from ermine update and update you shortly. Still the update procedure not working is making me mad. just an idea. the over the air updates were done in android isn't it? I am thinking if there is a way to change the entourage servers in the settings to another server where we can have the ermine or dingo update so we can upgrade or downgrade over the air if the menu/rotate procedure does not work?

kennyminot
06-18-2011, 11:35 AM
Thanks for clearing things up, vicinc.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do this, but I uploaded two things: my Titanium Backup folder, where I tried to "backup" basically anything related to Entourage, and the apk files from the system folder. You might try to install the *.apk files manually and see what happens.

Hmmm . . . having trouble uploading . . . send me an e-mail at kennyminot@gmail.com and I'll send you the files.

K

vicinc
06-18-2011, 01:41 PM
many thanks to Kenny who is a real gentleman. Got the files and start cracking it. I will report on the results.

vicinc
06-18-2011, 02:53 PM
Restored the system folder from ermine update.zip. Restored everything. Still not boot recovery or edge apps working. Then restored from Kenny titanium backup. Still no edge apps working. when pressing the Journal and Reader nothing happens. No crash or anything. also also entourage background services are working. Just wondering is my storage landscape is screwed somehow. Can you Kenny do a screen dump or storage landscape?
Attached my file structure from droidexplorer

mr_ed
06-18-2011, 02:55 PM
The rotate/power problem disturbs me. It's like something got corrupted in the init files, but how?

-- Ed

kennyminot
06-18-2011, 03:00 PM
vicinc -

You're shooting in the dark at the moment. Install the following program and see if you find any errors in the log report. In particular, I'm interested to see what the log says when you run the Journal/Reader apps. Most likely, that will give us a hint at what's going on.

http://code.google.com/p/android-random/downloads/detail?name=Logcat.apk

So weird, vicinc! Sorry this has been such an ordeal! That stinks! :(

vicinc
06-18-2011, 03:14 PM
MrEd. Do you know where are they located (the init files)? I will copy them from the ermine update and try this again. I really want to get this working and I will not mess with it again.... just leave my daughter have it. Kenny, I am downloading the program and I will report back shortly. it is strange every thing else (inc. market) works 100%. The e-ink screen get stuck on initialising.... it is strange. but swear the only funny thing i did was editing the build.prop. I taught my internal card is damaged, but if everything else is working?

vicinc
06-18-2011, 03:19 PM
I was thinking I could do something like this, flashing under android terminal or adb shell with a dingo. but where would i got a dingo recovery image?
vic

1. Download this file: Recovery.zip

2. Extract file contents to your \tools\ directory of your Android SDK.

3. Open up a command prompt and go to your tools directory, and execute these commands: (MAKE SURE YOUR SDCARD IS NOT MOUNTED TO YOUR COMPUTER OR THESE COMMANDS WON'T WORK! MAKE SURE IT IS ON "CHARGE ONLY")

adb shell mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
adb push recovery.img /sdcard
adb push flash_image /system/bin
adb shell chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image
adb shell flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img

emusan
06-18-2011, 03:41 PM
I would recommend slowing down a bit and assessing your situation before continuing much further, you don't want to mess things up more than they are... As I said before, the apps not working is most likely due to missing libraries, not anything that can be fixed with TB. When you say that you have restored everything, what was your procedure? Also, everyone should already have logcat, just type adb logcat > logcat.txt then run the program that error's out and then press Ctrl+C, then send us the file.

mr_ed
06-18-2011, 03:45 PM
The piece-parts to get Linux - I mean, Android - up and running are in the /etc directory. If you're looking at the directory in a terminal window, depending on its settings, you may not notice that some of the entries are themselves directories, so watch out for that.

If it's a file-corruption problem, there are other places within /etc too, such as fstab or whatever Android calls it. (Sorry, don't have a device handy to check.)

-- Ed

vicinc
06-18-2011, 04:00 PM
Kenny, attached here. Seems that can not find the framebuffer device (eink) when trying to access the journal or reader. see attached log. looks like the eink drivers are not loading? I am lost.

vicinc
06-18-2011, 04:08 PM
emusan> I did attached the logcat in my prev post. I did copy everything in system1 from the ermine update.zip to system including the esi folder. then I restored the entourage apps via titanium backup.
I did not touch system2 content yet (inc. etc)

emusan
06-18-2011, 04:37 PM
I'm not able to access my desktop right now, but can you tell me if there is a /dev folder within the update.zip? it sounds like something messed up your devices...

ptsenter
06-18-2011, 04:51 PM
then I restored the entourage apps via titanium backup.
That's strange: TB (I have free ver only) is incapable to make backups of com.adobe.flashlite, com.entouragesys.eink.journal and com.entouragesys.eink.reader on my system.

vicinc
06-18-2011, 05:40 PM
journal app and reader app are in the copy from Kenny. I think he has registered version. They restored fine, but they do not work.

ptsenter
06-18-2011, 06:04 PM
Can you be more specific:
if it says Reader 1.0 and Journal 1.0 and they have associated icons - android - they are not the ones I'm talking about.
Eink apps should have exact names as I provided.

kennyminot
06-18-2011, 06:18 PM
ptsenter -

I see what you mean. I just assumed Journal 1.0 and Reader 1.0 were the applications. When I look at com.entouragesys.eink.journal and com.entouragesys.eink.reader, they are crossed out. Is that the same on your system? Regardless, it won't let me make backups of either of those files. What is Journal 1.0 and Reader 1.0 if it is not the e-ink applications, especially given that they have the same icons? Maybe just the Android program without e-ink drivers?

ptsenter
06-18-2011, 06:28 PM
Maybe just the Android program without e-ink drivers?Pretty much - they are just front-end - icon on the screen, allow to select a book or a journal and pass them to real apps for processing.

kennyminot
06-18-2011, 06:31 PM
mr_ed -

Do you think it's worth a shot replacing the init files? I'm not exactly sure how they work, but I can certainly upload my copies.

mr_ed
06-18-2011, 07:23 PM
Oh, man, corrupted system files is such a long shot considering what was going on just before it blew up. I mean, when build.prop got saved, it might've been saved into the wrong place or ... ?

And emusan's suggestion of a missing (or corrupt?) library file makes at least as much sense as init or fstab or any of that stuff.

I just took a look into my kinda hosey dingo /etc and didn't recognize what I thought I was looking for ... I am, as we say in the tech biz, in over my head. ;)

You know what? Here's what I'd do. I'd have someone use ClockworkMod Recovery to do a ROM backup and then install that file on vicinc's machine, again with CWMR.

What do y'all think?

-- Ed

vicinc
06-18-2011, 07:28 PM
there is no Dev inside the update.zip for ermine. I can not see any init folder? or is init.pxa168.sh you are talking about?

vicinc
06-18-2011, 07:30 PM
I was under impression CW does not work with edges? or do they work? it is quite funny that adb can not be used to write a rom?

vicinc
06-18-2011, 07:34 PM
I used root explorer to enable editing the system before editing with vi the build.prop. root explore could have damaged my system. the build.prop was a symbolic link and I had to delete it after Justin su fix than to replace it. when I replace it it start working but without eink. what is awful is that menu/rotate does not work, and even my alex has recovery mode, so I played a lot with it.

kennyminot
06-18-2011, 07:54 PM
Mr. Ed -

I've thought numerous times about installing ClockworkMod Recovery on my Edge, but I keep deciding that I don't want to take the risk. Here's the reason why I'm skeptical:

1. ClockworkMod works by replacing the device's built-in recovery system with a new piece of software. From what I can tell, Entourage didn't design the Edge like a typical Android device. There is not any kind of bootloader or recovery mode. As such, I have questions about whether it would work, and it might mess up your ability to recover the device.

2. The update.zip files included are not "standard' ones. By that, I mean that I've tried to flash other update.zip files (like, for example, ones that contain gapps), and the process failed for some reason. Entourage has obviously monkeyed around with the "standard" procedure for flashing recovery files. Awhile ago, people talked about using the Ermine update to figure out how to create a Edge-specific update.zip, but we've never gotten around to actually giving it a shot.

For these reasons, I think trying to install ClockworkMod would be something to try out of sheer desperation. If you do install it, you might be able to use the "boot into recovery" option to install the Dingo update.zip. But I'm not entirely sure.

kennyminot
06-18-2011, 07:59 PM
Now, you CAN use adb to flash *.img files. Any ideas about how to convert an update.zip to an *.img? Unfortunately, I got to run. Fiancee and I are seeing the new Woody Allen movie. :)

vicinc
06-18-2011, 08:55 PM
I do not think the ermine update.zip is a full rom. Dev is missing for example and is only 140 mb while the golden update may be a full rom at 240 mb. can not an image made from a working ermine or dingo somehow?

yugami
06-18-2011, 09:30 PM
the dev dir is something that is created on the fly by linux

vicinc
06-18-2011, 09:44 PM
ok, than any chance we can get an .img firmware copy? and any idea how can i write that img via adb? thanks

kennyminot
06-19-2011, 10:27 AM
I'm sort of quietly wondering - if you could get SOME kind of recovery partition onto your eDGe, wouldn't that be better than nothing? Maybe you SHOULD try to install ClockwordMod and then see if you can use it to flash the update.zip? I'm out of ideas. It doesn't look like you can flash your device with just the update.zip file.

kennyminot
06-19-2011, 11:16 AM
I've decided it would be madness to install ClockworkMod. Wish we had some other ideas :(

yugami
06-19-2011, 02:33 PM
What files are in your /lib/modules directory?

vicinc
06-19-2011, 04:33 PM
Kenny, installing RomManager from the market is ok, does not modify the recovery procedure. Installing the clockwork mod from inside the rom manager is madness I am afraid.

vicinc
06-19-2011, 04:43 PM
Kenny; have you notice anything that may give you a clue in log cat?

vicinc
06-19-2011, 07:16 PM
yugami - ls of the folder attached

vicinc
06-19-2011, 07:53 PM
In dingo update.zip there is a folder boot with ntim.bin.crc, u-boot.bin.crc and zImage.crc. they seem to be the boot files and some image? is anyway I can restore the boot partition under adb using any of those. I am getting so desperate that I am at the point of throwing away this device. Spent more than what I paid for it in my time and others time. I will never buy again a device that does not have proper recovery. I am so happy with my Adam and Alex from this point of view. For Adam owners, check the adam post, I did put some update firmware and safe root instructions.

vicinc
06-19-2011, 08:27 PM
Kenny or mr Ed. I want to see if my boot is borked compared with a standard ermine.
if you do
adb shell cat /proc/mtd
are you getting as bellow?

c:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell cat /proc/mtd
dev: size erasesize name
mtd0: 00a00000 00080000 "BBM_reserve1"
mtd1: 00100000 00080000 "bootloader-alt"
mtd2: 00100000 00080000 "environment-alt"
mtd3: 00300000 00080000 "kernel-alt"
mtd4: 00300000 00080000 "kernelrecovery-alt"
mtd5: 02e00000 00080000 "maintenance"
mtd6: f5c00000 00080000 "Android"
mtd7: 06400000 00080000 "MRVL_BBM"
mtd8: 00040000 00010000 "bootloader"
mtd9: 00080000 00010000 "bootcode"
mtd10: 00040000 00010000 "environment"
mtd11: 00300000 00010000 "kernel"
mtd12: 00400000 00010000 "kernelrecovery"

vicinc
06-19-2011, 08:36 PM
not sure where u-bin is mtd1 or mtd8

vicinc
06-19-2011, 09:02 PM
also following another post http://www.mobileread.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-137454.html (Robot who knows what is he talking about) looks like in intstorage is vfat.img and image of the internal sdcard that could be copied and restore to my machine?

yugami
06-19-2011, 09:09 PM
thats on the update.zip and just covers the basic internal storage. do you have a .esi in your internal storage (or SDCard if you chose to move the library there)? Pretty much all of the edge eink apps use the library dir structure.

yugami
06-19-2011, 09:12 PM
that ls is just of /lib/ need to see /lib/modules that's where the hardware drivers live.

honestly you should just pull them off the update.zip and push them onto your edge from adb and reboot and see what happens.

If you have corrupt files any of these having an issue would kill a lot of functionality. Theres only a small handful of files in there but they driver the eink and some other functionality.

vicinc
06-19-2011, 09:24 PM
how is called? I do have an Esi and the files appear complete. I do not understand how is wrong. I am thinking in writing all the mtd with what is in update.zip if I can identify or with something one can extract from their rom. if this fails goes in the bin.

vicinc
06-19-2011, 09:27 PM
you are talking of the system/lib ? if I do su, and mount as read write would I be able to overwrite considering they may be running?

yugami
06-19-2011, 11:06 PM
cd /lib/modules
# ls
ls
QCSerial2kEntourage.ko
syscopyarea.ko
sd8688.ko
sysfillrect.ko
QCQMI.ko
QCUSBNet2kEntourage.ko
QCQMI-2.6.29.ko
mcypt.ko
ep3522fb.ko
gspca_main.ko
scsi_wait_scan.ko
bt8688.ko
galcore.ko
fb_sys_fops.ko
bmm.ko
udlfb.ko
sysimgblt.ko

mr_ed
06-20-2011, 12:41 AM
if you do
adb shell cat /proc/mtd
are you getting as bellow?

Yes, with these three differences (but mine is dingo 1.13)

mtd0: 00a00000 00080000 "BBM_reserve1"
mtd1: 00080000 00080000 "bootloader-alt" ... vs. your 00100000
mtd2: 00080000 00080000 "environment-alt" ... vs. your 00100000
mtd3: 00300000 00080000 "kernel-alt"
mtd4: 00400000 00080000 "kernelrecovery-alt" ... vs. your 00300000
mtd5: 02e00000 00080000 "maintenance"
mtd6: f5c00000 00080000 "Android"
mtd7: 06400000 00080000 "MRVL_BBM"
mtd8: 00040000 00010000 "bootloader"
mtd9: 00080000 00010000 "bootcode"
mtd10: 00040000 00010000 "environment"
mtd11: 00300000 00010000 "kernel"
mtd12: 00400000 00010000 "kernelrecovery"

Have you seen this Android wiki (http://android-dls.com/wiki/)? Look at the page, "HOWTO: Unpack, Edit, and Re-Pack Boot Images (http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?title=HOWTO:_Unpack,_Edit,_and_Re-Pack_Boot_Images)" - you wouldn't have to actually unpack and alter the image, you could maybe just take a good one from somebody and skip to the section, "Flashing your new image back onto the phone."

-- Ed

vicinc
06-20-2011, 05:53 AM
mr edd. I was thinking on that frame of mind. need the boot images from some working ermine. write them over adb and I may get menu/rotate working again. But I do not have any clue from where to take them. somebody could do for me # cat /dev/mtd/mtd1 > /sdcard/mtd1.img , # cat /dev/mtd/mtd2 > /sdcard/mtd2.img, etc. one of the images is 2.5 gb, I think I can skip that one for the time being, if I could just get the boot working to downgrade to dingo and restart again.

vicinc
06-20-2011, 10:11 AM
yugami> c:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell
# cd /lib/modules
cd /lib/modules
# ls
ls
QCSerial2kEntourage.ko
syscopyarea.ko
sd8688.ko
sysfillrect.ko
QCQMI.ko
QCUSBNet2kEntourage.ko
QCQMI-2.6.29.ko
mcypt.ko
ep3522fb.ko
gspca_main.ko
scsi_wait_scan.ko
bt8688.ko
galcore.ko
fb_sys_fops.ko
bmm.ko
udlfb.ko
sysimgblt.ko
#

vicinc
06-20-2011, 11:22 AM
I just did a adb push lib /system/lib where lib was from emine update like my device. and now the device is not starting at all. got stucked at 3 dots on boot.
adb still working. so my only hope now is to restore the mdt partition, at least the boot and safe boot ones. any help will be appreciated. adb still works fortunately

vicinc
06-20-2011, 12:01 PM
hmm, repaired permission from shell and is booting up again on lcd side. however still nothing on eink side apps. still believe if i can write the boot partition I may get a restore to dingo. please help.

vicinc
06-20-2011, 01:53 PM
yaffs expert from market is able to create an img recovery of the android as well as writing a parting from under android.

kennyminot
06-20-2011, 01:59 PM
I'd be willing to give it a shot, but we don't really have a recovery mode to work with. We'd need a piece of software that made an *.img file without booting into recovery.

vicinc
06-20-2011, 03:58 PM
I rushed my prev post in. yaffs expert from the market is able to create images of every mtd partition on your device. just install it from the market and do each partition one by one (under backup) appart from larger data partition 2.5 gb, please save them with the name of each mount. if you have ermine, will let me do it one by one, i hope I will recover my menu . rotate update. many thanks. I can use same program to restore or the flash_image from adb shell.

vicinc
06-21-2011, 09:12 AM
just checked. my pocket edge is showing under edge preferences: serial number: bad serial. SKU bad sku. CMS key not initialised. I think this is the cause of not updating. if the serial is checked or the sku during the rotate /menu boot up? does anybody know how to write those and where could I find a good serial and sku (not that matter now that the entourage is gone?)

vicinc
06-21-2011, 05:01 PM
I think I am doing a progress on my own educating in android fs and others. identified the partitions and content, I may have a recovery boot soon, of course if community is interested.

Dumas
06-21-2011, 06:19 PM
I've been monitoring your progress and it looks good. I'm sure everyone else will be interested to see what you can come up with.

2heartale
07-10-2011, 05:13 PM
I finally got the ermine update to my edge. It stopped at the 4 dots and the ereader side saying initialize. I couldn't turn it off and was starting to panic. Decided to go for broke and just pushed the reset button. It turned off, I removed the flash drive and restarted it. It booted up, the ermine was installed and my couple of apps were still there!! Yippee!! Hope this helps.

vicinc
07-10-2011, 06:51 PM
no it did not dif prob

tommyvan1
07-15-2011, 11:56 PM
I had a problem with my PE. Every app gave an error that said {stopped unexpectedly force close}blah blah. So I side transfered the Edge folder to my PC. then I switched my the storage from Internal storage to SDCard after reading through many forum posts. Then I did a factory restore. It booted up fine just like the day I bought it. All I am interested in is restoring the data to the calendar. I thought that if I did a restore library from the stored .esi file I would be in good shape but it didn't work. How do I or can I get my calendar data back.

Filark
07-16-2011, 01:40 AM
Welcome to MobileRead, tommyvan! . . . Although it seems you've been lurking for a while! ;)

Your calendar question is a tough one. I don't have an answer (sorry :(), but if no-one responds you might start a new thread asking about restoring the calendar. There are enough threads/posts here now that your request might otherwise get lost.

I really hope there is a way for you to get your data back!