View Full Version : Basic question: How to install the Sony Reader?

natescape
06-09-2011, 11:00 PM
I'm still very new to my PE and can't figure out how to install the Sony Reader Android app on my system. I've tried searching both the SlideME Marketplace and the AndAppStore and can't find it, nor can I find an apk to download.

Can anyone help? I've searched here, but haven't been able to find an answer.

Thanks!

emusan
06-09-2011, 11:11 PM
Here is a link to download it: link (http://www.mediafire.com/?sabf7ec1e2093d3)

From this post: link (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1381676&postcount=32)

Hope this is what you were looking for, and I hope you are enjoying your PE!

Filark
06-10-2011, 01:28 AM
Thanks for asking that question, Natescape! I have Sony Reader software on my computer and thought I would get it for my eDGe, too, instead of going through Calibre or emailing books to myself. I couldn't find an easy way to download and gave up. :p

You might want to read the whole thread that Emusan pulled the dowload link from. It looks like there are some "issues" with the Reader on Android (maybe fixed by now?): http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117767

I wonder whether books downloaded to the Sony software will be readable on the e-ink side. Does anyone know? Perhaps I'll just try it myself and see. :)

Emusan, you rock at finding information! Keep up the good work!! :2thumbsup

natescape
06-10-2011, 07:54 AM
Thanks all!

Word is, the Sony Reader opens on the eInk side. When I get it installed, I'll confirm or deny.

kennyminot
06-10-2011, 09:17 AM
Nook app totally works on eink side. :D

Serena
06-10-2011, 10:10 AM
If you get it to work, also please report if the page numbers are still on the side! I LOVE this about my Sony reader, no more annoying page numbers.

fgruber
06-10-2011, 03:44 PM
do you mean the ebooks from the NOOk app can be opened on the eink side or that the nook app itself opens on the eink side? Because the latter would be simple incredible and potentially very useful.

Nook app totally works on eink side. :D

natescape
06-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Turns out you can read Sony Reader books on either screen.

If you open the book through the Sony Reader App, it opens on the LCD screen with black text on a faded white background. There are no page numbers unless you touch the screen, in which case the pages with a scroll bar appears on the bottom. Interestingly, you can't change pages using the swipe pad... you have to tap the screen.

You can also open the book on the eInk side by going through the reader to Storage/Internal Storage/Books/Sony/books.

I love that you can open the book on both sides! Very, very cool. Sony also will sync with 5 different devices, so I'm going to borrow books by signing in as a friend. :)

fgruber
06-10-2011, 04:34 PM
Thanks.

emusan
06-10-2011, 07:28 PM
do you mean the ebooks from the NOOk app can be opened on the eink side or that the nook app itself opens on the eink side? Because the latter would be simple incredible and potentially very useful.

sorry, but it only works because entourage added support for epub's using the nook encryption into their library, the nook app itself can't be opened on the e-ink side...

kennyminot
06-11-2011, 12:40 AM
It's still awesome. Takes ten seconds to move them over, although Nook copy protection is so bizarre. For anybody who wants to know, you need to enter your FIRST and LAST name. Then, the password is your credit card number.

Last_of_the_PEs
06-13-2011, 04:08 AM
It didn't take long to develop all kinds of formats for electronic books! I can read epub on my PE, but I can only find a reader for .mobi for my PC.

pyxiwulf
06-13-2011, 07:33 AM
It didn't take long to develop all kinds of formats for electronic books! I can read epub on my PE, but I can only find a reader for .mobi for my PC.

http://www.fbreader.org

Filark
06-13-2011, 08:51 PM
Can't you read .mobi in the kindle app??

I know you can read it on the kindle itself! ;)