View Full Version : [How To] Move Apps to your SDcard in Ermine

kennyminot
06-07-2011, 09:54 PM
Before you read any further, the following post is a workaround to a known Ermine problem. While Dingo users might be interested in some of this information, I sincerely doubt that most of them will actually want to go through this process.

Let me start with a little background. Ermine is a very polished Android build, but it has a number of well-known issues. One of the most problematic is the inability to move apps to the sdcard. To make matters even more complicated, the Pocket eDGe designers rather unfortunately decided to separate the internal memory into two chunks. The first is called "application storage" in the device storage menu. The second is called "internal storage," and it is located in the /sdcard directory on the device. Unfortunately, the eDGe seems to treat this "internal storage" almost like an sdcard, so it's impossible to even copy applications onto this additional space. That leaves you with about relatively small 350mb to install programs. While this might be plenty for some people, I've already started to get dangerously close to that limit. As such, I wanted to see if I could find out a solution to the problem.

From what I've read, Android uses a program called "Apps2SD" to move programs to the sdcard. Here's how I understand the process works: when Android is instructed to move an application, it starts by encrypting the necessary files. Then, it moves over the copy-protected data. That way, people can't just unplug the sdcard, move it over to a friend's phone, and illegally install the copyrighted software. After doing a little research, I'm almost positive that the reason Apps2SD doesn't work in Ermine is because of this encryption process. If you look at the logcat, you get the following errors when you try to move over files:

E/Vold ( 1219): Error opening devmapper (No such file or directory)
E/Vold ( 1219): ASEC device mapping failed (No such file or directory)

On the threads I was reading from more knowledgeable folk, they said fixing the problem would required modifying the kernel. I'm completely clueless about how to do this, although I think a more skilled Android user could figure it out.

After doing some poking around, I discovered another method for moving over applications to the sdcard. Once it is up and running, it is relatively painless to use. However, the procedure for getting it to work is pretty complicated. Hopefully, someone will figure out a way to streamline this process. If anybody has any pointers for making it easier, just let me know, and I'll update the instructions.

To put it in a nutshell, instead of using the built-in Apps2SD software, you are going to use a freely available application called Link2SD. You can download it through the Android Market or through the app's xda page (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=919326.). For the most part, the program is simple, but there is a catch: you need to partition your sdcard into two sections. Essentially, you are "tricking" your eDGe into thinking your sdcard is actually two entirely different storage devices. By the time you are finished with this process, you will have significantly reconfigured your device's storage. Right now, the eDGe maps the drives onto the following locations:

/sdcard = internal storage
/extsdcard = sdcard

By the time you are finished, you'll have it mapped the following way:

/sdcard = first sdcard partition (for data, documents, movies, and music)
/extsdcard = internal storage
/data/sdext2 = second sdcard partition (for applications)

Finally, before you get started, just keep in mind that whenever you screw around with the system files, you risk messing up your eDGe, so make sure you are prepared for that possibility. You definitely want to backup everything on your sdcard. In addition, you probably want to backup any important applications with Titanium Backup, and you might want to consider saving a copy of any important documents. In addition, remember to download a copy of the golden update and Ermine update, which you'll need in order to get your tablet up and running in case you completely mess it up. There is a low chance of that happening with this procedure, but you never know. Better safe than sorry.

One last thing: this process requires your device to be rooted, which is super easy to do with z4root on the Amazon Marketplace. You also need a file management tool like Root Explorer. In my instructions, I'll be referring to that program, but you can use any similar application with text editing capabilities.

Step 1: Download Link2SD and install it on your system.

Step 2: Partition your SDcard into two partitions. You can do this in numerous ways. You Linux wizards might be able to do it manually. Alternatively, you could use a piece of partitioning software, such as MiniTool Partition Wizard (http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html). Personally, I used ClockworkMod Recovery (http://www.jayceooi.com/2011/01/12/how-to-create-ext3-partition-on-sd-card-with-clockworkmod-recovery/) on my Optimus V, which is relatively easy to use. Regardless of the way you do it, you need two partitions: one that is FAT32 (which will be used to store your data and documents) and one that is EXT3 (which will be used to store your applications). I have an 8GB card, and I allocated 6GB to my FAT32 partition and 2GB to my EXT3 partition. If you want more room for your applications, you can potentially make the EXT3 partition an even larger chunk.

***If you have trouble with the next two steps, I've uploaded the three files you need to modify to a subsequent post on this thread. You can simply download them and copy them to your device. This seems to have greatly simplified the process for a number of people. Make sure to read through the experiences of the other folk on this thread for more advice if you get stuck.***

Step 3: Map your sdcard onto the /sdcard directory. In order to accomplish this feat, you need to edit two Android system files. Go into Root Explorer and navigate to the /system/etc directory. Scroll to the bottom, and you'll find two files: void.fstab.external and void.fstab.internal. Hit "mount r/w" at the top of the screen and open both in your text editor. Basically, you want to replace any mentions of "extsdcard" with "sdcard" and any mentions of "sdcard" with "extsdcard." So, for example, take the following line in void.fstab.internal:

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /block/mmcblk0

You want to change it to this:

dev_mount extsdcard /mnt/extsdcard auto /block/mmcblk0

Make sure you've inserted your partitioned sdcard. Then, after you have made these changes, reboot your eDGe. Now, your internal storage will be mapped to the /extsdcard directory, and your sdcard will be mapped to the /sdcard directory.

Step 4: Setup Link2SD. Click on the program. It should automatically detect your second partition. Then, it should ask whether you want to use an ext2, ext3, ext4, or fat32 . You want to select the "ext3" option (unless, of course, you formatted your second partition as one of the other options). Once it has finished setting everything up, it will ask you to reboot. Go ahead. After your computer restarts, make sure you can move an application over to your sdcard with the Link2SD program. (Note: my instructions are a little sketchy for this step because I have to recall everything from memory).

Step 5: Modify the Link2SD script to manually mount your sdcard's first partition. Now, you should be able to move applications to your sdcard, but there is a new issue: unfortunately, the program causes Android not to recognize the first partition on your sdcard. That leaves you unable to access a significant amount of storage space. Fortunately, there is a way to resolve this problem. Link2SD creates a script called "install-recovery.sh" that runs when you boot and manually mounts the second partition on your sdcard. You can also use this to manually mount the first partition. Go back into the system/etc folder on Root Explorer. You should find the "install-recovery.sh" file. Right now, it just has two lines. You need to add two more:

mount -t vfat -o rw /dev/block/vold/179:1 /sdcard
mount -t vfat -o rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /sdcard

Reboot your eDGe. Your system should now have mapped the first partition of your sdcard to the /sdcard directory.

The process has only major limitation: if you ever need to remove your sdcard, you will need to reboot before the system properly recognizes it. Otherwise, Link2SD is actually a versatile piece of software, which will allow you to move basically any app to your sdcard.

For more information about Android's built-in Apps2SD program, check out the following thread (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/cyanogenmod/129723-ultimate-apps2sd-thread-2.html). I wouldn't have been able to figure this out without GodfatherIP's helpful information. Finally, if you have any suggestions about how to streamline this process, just let me know.

Good luck! If you're brave enough to give this a shot, tell me how it works!

emusan
06-07-2011, 10:03 PM
nice guide, I don't have an SD card yet to test it on(well I have one, but its currently being used for other purposes ATM), hopefully I'll get the one I ordered in the next day or two soz I can report results...

Filark
06-09-2011, 02:38 PM
Thanks, Kenny! :)

I might try this in the future. Right now I'm deleting apps I don't use or that take up too much space -- definitely could use the extra storage. Your directions are clear and detailed, so one day when I am feeling brave (or particularly fed up with space limitations) I will find this thread and give it a shot.

Nice work! Very much appreciated. :thumbsup:

bmkoknl
06-10-2011, 02:55 PM
hi, trying it out now but i can't get it to work. after changing both files in root explorer, followed by a reboot, links2sd keeps asking for a ext2 formatted sd sdcard or something. do you by any chance have a nice screen shot of the edited files? i do not know what i am doing wrong. (pe is rooted and every thing)
please help!

kennyminot
06-10-2011, 04:04 PM
I attached the three files that you need to modify. However, your problem sounds related to how you partitioned the sdcard. You MUST partition your sdcard into two parts in order for Link2SD to work. How did you go about doing this?

Also, are you using the latest version of Link2SD? Go into the program, hit menu, go to settings, and select "about." You should see "version 1.6.2." If you have an earlier version, it might only work with ext2 partitions. The newer one is more versatile and allows ext2, ext3, ext4, and fat32 support.

Finally, do you have the EXACT error message?

Hope this helps!

bmkoknl
06-10-2011, 04:33 PM
i used minitool partition wizard, two partitions: 1 fat 32(10gigs) and 1 ext3(6gigs).
both are "primary"...
i'll have a look at your files!
(at the moment the pe doesn't even recognize my microsd!)

bmkoknl
06-10-2011, 05:56 PM
dude! thought i f-ed up my microsd for sure! luckily i found SDformatter, so i managed to rescue it after about 1 hour. i re-applied both partitions and copied your files exactly...
and, lo and behold! i think it is working! link2sd works a bit different than apps2sd(you have to create a link i guess?) but seems to do the job.
one question: the pe only recognizes my first 10 gigs... at least when i check it in "settings". is there an app i can use to check all "disks"? i'm still a bit of a noob concerning this device (but i can allready tell that to me this is sooooo much better than a ipad! love the reader!)

to recap: works good, maybe great after i get the last issues straightened out.
from my humble home, located in th e north of the Netherlands... I salute and hail thee, o great one! you delivered an awesome method of making the pe even better than it allready was!
fiy: i think that entourage really screwed up by pulling the plug so completely! if you hadn't posted this, i would have been left with a crippled device. i totally ow you man! if you are ever in the neighbourhood, let me know; I'll buy you a beer! :thanks: :thumbsup:

kennyminot
06-10-2011, 06:13 PM
Glad to hear it worked out! Note there are some limitations to the method. For example, if you want to plug your Edge into the computer, you will be able to easily look at all the files on your 10GB partition; however, once you unplug it, you'll either have to manually remount through the terminal or reboot your device.

As for the issue of your eDGe only recognizing 10GB, the settings are actually just playing tricks on you. Android isn't technically designed for partitioned sdcards, so the settings only recognize the first partition. If you go into Root Explorer, you'll notice that /sdcard is the 10GB partition. To see the size of the second partition, you need to actually go to /data/sdext2. The remaining partition is now mounted to that folder. If you ever want to easily check how much space you have left, just check Link2SD - it should break it down pretty nicely for you. Hit "menu" and go to "storage info."

If I'm ever in your parts, I'll definitely take you up on your offer. :) Have any recommendations for good beer?

attemptress
06-27-2011, 01:20 AM
First off, thanks for doing the legwork on this!

I've been unsuccessful in my attempts to get this to work for me. Here's the situation/steps so far . . .

1. I rooted my PE using Z4root - no problems
2. I downloaded and installed Link2SD
3. I partitioned my sd card using MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition--I made 2 partitions, 1 FAT 32 and 1 EXT3
4. I made the changes to void.fstab.external and void.fstab.internal, as instructed by Kennyminot. These files are now EXACT copies of the text files provided in the link posted earlier by Kenny minot.
5. I made sure the partitioned card was in the slot, and re-booted.
6. PE claims that I do not have an sd card mounted (although, thankfully, my apps n' stuff still run fine).
7. I check to see where my stuff is, using root explorer. Sure enough, my apps are all listed in the extsd folder. I double check the void.fstab files. I make sure they have the same "owner" and "permissions" as the other files in the system/etc folder.
8.I reconsult the forum thread, and based on bmkoknl's experience, download SDformatter, reformatted my microSD, re-partitioned it, and tried again.
9. No luck
10. Re-format and re-partition, take 3. This time, I give the partitions ids. "sdcard" for the fat32 partition, and "sdext2" for the EXT3 partition.
11. Re-boot . . . and nope.

Help!!!!!

When booting up, I get a brief message in my taskbar that says "SD card is empty (or contains no data, I don't recall which)." I've tried it both with and without actual "stuff" on the FAT32 partition of the disk.

In Link2SD, The following error message pops up "Second partition not found:No SD card present."

Sigh.

Suggestions?
Assistance?

attemptress
06-27-2011, 02:59 AM
Update. I'm 99% sure my problem is the sd card formatting/partitioning/somethinging. I tried a different microSD card that I haven't messed around with, and it mounted (although, of course, it is not partitioned).

attemptress
06-27-2011, 07:52 PM
Update 2: I was finally able to get the PE to recognize the sd card (unpartioned) by first formatting it with SDFormatter, and then right-clicking in Windows 7 and dolng a complete reformat (not quick reformat) with the allocation unit size set to 32 kb. However, when I used MiniTool Partion to re-apply the partitions (adjusted the size of the first partition, and added an ext3 partition of approximately 2 GB), the PE no longer recognized the card. I'm going to try gparted next (after windows finishes re-formatting the sd card . . . again). Suggestions are still welcome . . .

Filark
06-27-2011, 09:51 PM
I have no suggestions but am following your progress with interest. Haven't tried it myself yet. Your experiences will help when I do . . . thank you! ;)

attemptress
06-29-2011, 02:57 PM
Okay, so I can't, for the life of me, get my edge to accept a partitioned sd card.

I have tried partitioning using minitool partition on a whole host of different settings. I've similarly tried gparted using different settings. Every time I partition the sd card, my PE tells me that the card needs to be formatted before I can use it. If I let my PE do the formatting, it destroys the partition.

This was true after I made the changes to the void.fstab.external and void.fstab.internal files AND after I changed them back.

Unless anybody's got some new ideas as to how I can get my PE to accept a partitioned card, I give up.

Sigh. I was really hoping to make this work.

kennyminot
06-30-2011, 10:34 AM
attemptress:

You are probably missing the last step. Looking through your description, you seem to have doing everything correctly for the most part. Is Link2SD letting you move apps over the sdcard? If so, go through Root Explorer and look for the /data/sdext2 folder. Do you see a bunch of apps in there? If that's the case, the problem is that you need to manually mount the other partition of your sdcard in the boot script. To do that, you need to modify the "install-recovery.sh" file in the system/etc folder. Make sure it has the following two lines:

Alternatively, you can just copy/paste over the file. I attached a copy to an earlier message.

attemptress
06-30-2011, 01:17 PM
kennyminot:

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, I can't get that far. The sd card doesn't show up in my PE at all (except for the warning in the task bar that says its unuseable). If I use root explorer to navigate to the card, it won't open the folder (or there's nothing there). If I open Link2SD, it tells me that there is no sd card mounted (actual message: "Second partition not found:No SD card present" --if I try it with a non-partitioned card it says "No second partion found" instead). If I check the "device storage" the internal memory (after making changes to void.fstab.external and void.fstab.internal) is grayed out. After swithcing back, the PE claims there is no sd card mounted. I tried a method I found on another forum (I don't have the link handy) for manual mounting of the sd card - it too, failed. In short, I haven't been able to get to the final step, because the PE and all of it's apps simply refuse to admit that a partitioned card exists. Would adding those lines to the bootscript before testing Link2SD make any difference? Also, I have read elsewhere that the order in which the partitions are made makes a difference. In all of my attempts, I first formatted the card FAT32, and then made the EXT3 partition, so the first partition was FAT32, and the second was EXT3. Any insight would be appreciated.

-A

attemptress
06-30-2011, 02:33 PM
A related question:

Assuming I will someday be able to get this to work. . . I was wondering. . . ought I to transfer the PE's file system to the card (and then, obviously, back it up) before attempting this again? I ask because the one application wierdism I noticed while my storage was swithced was that the library didn't know where my .pdfs were. If it is not necessary to transfer the file system first, what do I move where in order for the library to locate its files (or will I need to re-add them)?

Well, first things first, I suppose. Step 1: get it to work. Step 2: worry about the details.

-A.

kennyminot
07-01-2011, 10:14 AM
I've been scratching my head trying to figure this out.

The issue here is that you need to get Link2SD to recognize the second partition. In fact, your eDGe is actually not going to recognize the first partition without additional assistance. Therefore, I'm not entirely surprised that you are getting the error message about not recognizing the sdcard, but I am a little flabbergasted about why Link2SD isn't recognizing the second partition.

I've noticed there is another script file in the /etc directory. I'm not sure, but I think Android runs all the scripts in the /etc directory on boot. Make sure you got your sdcard partitions. Then, try dropping the install-recovery.sh file that I attached to a previous post into the /etc directory, restart, and see what happens.

As for the library, I'm assuming you'll be able to rebuild it on your /sdcard partition once you have everything setup.

thinredline
07-01-2011, 11:50 AM
@kennyminot, how is your method different from this one?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=14041510&postcount=82

It looks much easier.

kennyminot
07-01-2011, 12:39 PM
That method has actually been assimilated into this one. It is now "Step Three" of a much longer process.

For most people, just mapping the external sdcard onto the /sdcard directory will be a vast improvement. The main reason is that many apps still use the /sdcard directory as storage space. For instance, I have all my PDF documents stored in the content director of ezPDF Reader, and they add up to almost 2GB worth of data. If I were using the original setup, I would have already basically filled up my /sdcard directory. Also, I'm not entirely sure, but I think the eDGe library application stores information in the same space.

The problem is that you still can't move applications to the sdcard. For some reason, the Entourage folk never got around to getting apps2sd to work. If you're the kind of person that likes to install lots of apps, this method will allow you to move them over to the sdcard, just like you were using a typical 2.2+ build.

Franky
07-02-2011, 05:53 AM
@kennyminot, so far I can read, it's all about a PE. Will this setup you did also work for an full size EE?

kennyminot
07-02-2011, 10:24 PM
It should! Of course, the EE might have some little differences, but you should be able to get it to work.

tigerszheng
07-06-2011, 08:40 AM
it's strange for me.

I have an 8G card, and use mini-tool partion tool to divide it into 2 partition, 1 partition is around 6.3g for FAT32, 1 partition is around 1.3g for ext3.

but if I insert the sdcard into pe, the pe will not recognize it, said it's a blank card, ask me to format it. if I format it, it will format the whole sdcard into 7.5g capacity.

I use disk utility in Ubuntu, the problem is the same.

I doesn't do it with "ClockworkMod Recovery " since I have no idea about it. Sorry for that.

Anyone have any idea to fix it.

Thanks.

tigerszheng
07-06-2011, 09:26 AM
I tried Clockworkmod method:

Step by Step Guide

1.Backup your SD card data to PC before start partitioning.
2.Power on your phone and donít let go power button.
3.DFT MAGLDR Bootloader will be loaded.
4.Press call button to load 1. Boot AD SD.
5.ClockworkMod Recovery will be loaded then.
6.Use volume down button to go down to Ďadvancedí.
7.Then press call button.
8.Select ĎPartition SD Cardí.
9.Select the ext size that you want (128M, 256M, 512M, 1024M, 2048M or 4096M).
10.Select 0M as the Swap Size.
11.Copy back your data to SD card.
Thatís all.

My mobile is Samsung i9000, and loaded with cwm to enter into recovery mode,
After step 10, it said finished(looks like it works), but I reboot into system and found the sdcard is the same capacity before repartition, and put it back to computer, no ext3 partition shown, put into pe, it's the same one partition here.

attemptress
07-06-2011, 06:20 PM
Yay! I finally got it to work!

Thanks, kennyminot for figuring out the method, and for responding to my questions. I suggest some slight changes to the overall method that might make future attempts easier.

Steps 1 and 2 work fine.

Here's where I suggest changing things slightly.

Step 2.1 Make a copy of the files you are planning to change. Put them on a usb drive, or your computer. Stick a .txt at the end, so you don't confuse your devices. This'll make it easier to change things back if the process goes "pear-shaped."

Step 3: Map your sdcard onto the /sdcard directory.dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /block/mmcblk0. . .

Download the 3 files kennyminot was kind enough to post. Replace the existing /system/etc files AND add the install-recovery.sh file (remove the .txt from the files).

Step 3.1: Make sure your partitiioned card is in the slot, and reboot.

Step 4: Setup Link2SD. Click on the program. It should automatically detect your second partition. . .

No changes needed---after reboot . . .

Step 5: Modify the Link2SD script to manually mount your sdcard's first partition. . .

. . .again. Link2SD messes with the install-recovery.sh file when it runs the setup (or, at least it did when I tried it), all you need to do is replace it again with the file kennyminot provided.

5.1 Reboot your eDGe (last time). Your system should now have mapped the first partition of your sdcard to the /sdcard directory.

6. Sort out where all your files went. Your Edge may not be able to find some of your application saved files and likely your library files. You'll need to move them over to the right folder in the sd card. If you're not sure where the Edge THINKS the files are, try saving a new one in whatever app is the problem, then find the old files (now on /extsd) and put them in the new folder. I found when using RootExplorer, that if I tried to replace the sd card library file with the folder that actually contained my library files, it made a sub-folder instead, so you may need to "multi-select," select all the files, copy and paste.

Hopefully, this'll save someone else some frustration.

jclmaster
07-15-2011, 01:35 AM
kennyminot:

In all of my attempts, I first formatted the card FAT32, and then made the EXT3 partition, so the first partition was FAT32, and the second was EXT3. Any insight would be appreciated.

-A

Can someone confirm that the FAT/FAT32 partition goes first on the SD card?

jclmaster
07-15-2011, 01:47 AM
My SD Card specs. Do this look right?
Update: I got the SD card to read in my PE. Copied Kenny's files over. Fired up LINK2SD and it said "ext2 not found". Going to rename the files until I figure how to verify that the ext3 partition can be read on the PE also. Any suggestions?

jclmaster
07-15-2011, 04:19 AM
I attached the three files that you need to modify. However, your problem sounds related to how you partitioned the sdcard. You MUST partition your sdcard into two parts in order for Link2SD to work. How did you go about doing this?

!

Maybe a silly question . . . The files that Kenny attached to a previous msg have already been modified, correct? Thanks

Filark
07-16-2011, 12:09 AM
Hi there, jclmaster! Maybe you've gotten your answers already, but in case not, here's a bump! :)

kennyminot
07-16-2011, 12:48 AM
jcl -

These other brave souls know more about partitioning the device. As I've said, I used ClockworkMod on my phone to do it. That said, I see no immediate reason why your partitioning setup shouldn't work. Remember: the key step is that you have to get the Link2SD app to recognize the ext3 partition. Once you've swapped the two fstab files with the ones I uploaded, try dropping the install-recovery.sh into the /etc directory. Then, reboot and make sure things have loaded up before you jump into the Link2SD program.

Personally, I have trouble believing that the order in which you partition the card actually makes a difference. However, people here seem to have formatted the entire card as FAT32 and then added the EXT3 partition.

One final thing - the files have definitely been modified. You just need to remove the *.txt tags, which I put on there simply because the MobileRead forum required it. :)

Good luck! Report back how it goes!

jclmaster
07-16-2011, 02:35 AM
I have tried the mini format pgm mentioned earlier. I downloaded UBUNTU and used its partition manager. No matter what I used the PE pukes on it and says either its blank or damaged (varies depending on how I set it up).

If anyone gets a chance could you look at your working external SD card in the mini tool Partition wizard and do a screen print so we can see what yours looks like? Thanks!

kennyminot
07-16-2011, 05:07 PM
I have an 8GB USB drive, and my ext3 partition is 2048MB.

The card doesn't detect even after you copy over the install_sh script file and reboot?

attemptress
07-17-2011, 02:56 AM
"The card doesn't detect even after you copy over the install_sh script file and reboot? "

That was my question as well. I had a few very frustrating days trying to figure out how to get my PE to recognize the partitioned SD card, but I found if I modified all three files (including the install_sh file) before inserting SD card with it's 2 primary partitions (FAT32 and Ext 3), it worked fine. Using this method, I did have to go back and re-replace the install_sh file after setting up Link2SD, and reboot an extra time, but it worked!

attemptress
07-17-2011, 03:08 AM
Oh yeah, one more thing. . .

I've noticed my PE doesn't want to hibernate properly anymore (even when I tell it to -- goes into the old Dingo "sleep" mode instead). Any reason these modifications might have caused that? The only other possiblitiy I can think of is some app I installed is preventing hibernation. Anyone else notice this after setting up Link2SD?

DarthClem
07-17-2011, 08:42 AM
I've read through this thread twice, and have what I hope is not too stupid a question. I find that some of the apps I DL from the Amazon app store fail to install. Is it because of this SD Card issue, and will following the instructions in this thread fix that problem?

Thanks!

emusan
07-17-2011, 12:08 PM
I've read through this thread twice, and have what I hope is not too stupid a question. I find that some of the apps I DL from the Amazon app store fail to install. Is it because of this SD Card issue, and will following the instructions in this thread fix that problem?

Thanks!

It can be either due to the SD card issue, or the fact that some apps just wont run on the PE, whether due to use of the NDK(and therefore compiled for a different Architecture), or because they have DRM restrictions preventing an install on 3rd party devices, or one of many other reasons(flash, etc.)

kennyminot
07-17-2011, 03:36 PM
attemptress -

I don't seem to have any problems with hibernation. In fact, it's hibernating right now. Maybe there is some kind of application running in the background?

DarthClem -

Many applications try to automatically install to the sdcard, which generates an error message because Apps2SD doesn't work. This process doesn't actually fix that problem. However, it allows for a pretty easy workaround - all you need to do is unplug your sdcard and install the application, and it should direct it to your internal memory. If you're not interested in playing around with any of your system files, you might be able to install it by using the methods listed in this post (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1597531&postcount=12). Also, keep in mind, you need to root your device in order to manually mount/unmount drives from the terminal window.

jclmaster
07-17-2011, 05:19 PM
I have an 8GB USB drive, and my ext3 partition is 2048MB.

The card doesn't detect even after you copy over the install_sh script file and reboot?

I finally got it to work. I deleted all copies of the new files and re-downloaded all three files. I deleted the original vold*fstab files and the istall_recovery. Placed all three files in /system/etc per the instructions. Powered the PE down. Went to UBUNTU and used diskparted to delete old partitions from the SD card. Placed a new fat32 and ext3 partition. Loaded the SD card into the PE and powered it up. It found the SD card. Launched LINK2SD and it found the 2nd partition! Moved several apps to the SD card. And all is well!

Q: Should we backup the external SD card periodically? If so what is the best method to do so??

Thanks to all for their help, but especially Kenny!

Now I am ready to tackle rooting my Moto Cliq XT phone. Just need to decide the best method.

Bob

bunodosoma
07-17-2011, 11:03 PM
Kennyminot
I'm new to android and linux. What's the advantage of the ext3 partition vs another fat32 one?

kennyminot
07-18-2011, 06:53 AM
FAT32 is pretty old and slow. However, in this case, I doubt you'll really notice any "advantages" from using the ext3 partition; I only used it because ClockworkMod automatically created one, so I didn't have to fiddle with manually partitioning the device.

littleal
07-18-2011, 07:48 PM
I am trying to do this but as I am visually impaired there is no way that I can edit the 2 files mentioned. Therefore I will have to copy and paste but I do'nt know how. Can someone give me directions as to how to do it.

kennyminot
07-18-2011, 09:34 PM
The consensus seems to be that you need to copy and paste all three files that I posted to your system/etc folder. To do this, you need to begin by copying the files to your eDGe (either by using your USB port or through Dropbox). Then, you can use Root Explorer to copy and paste them over. Before you get started, you should rename the void.fstab.internal and void.fstab.external files to void.fstab.internal.old and void.fstab.external.old. Then, press and hold on the files that you want to copy, select "move," and then put them in the system/etc directory.

I hope this helps.

ghentj
07-22-2011, 10:25 PM
For those of you having a problem with the edge/pocket edge recognizing the partitioned SD card:
I could not ever get this working after trying many times, until I manually created this folder:
/data/sdext2

I also did mess with permissions (so I'll list them in case it was some kind of combination that fixed my problem)
for the link2sd to:
User RWX
Group R-X
Other ---

and changed the external/internal modified vold files to
RW-R--R--

Hope that helps anyone having the same problems/frustration I did.

It was located somewhere in here: http://tipstir.the-talk.net/t2993-link2sd-move-app-to-sdcard-android-21-eclair on post from emmerick.

Filark
07-23-2011, 02:43 AM
Welcome to MobileRead, ghentj! :)

What a helpful first post!! :D

ghentj
07-23-2011, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the welcome!

I've been trying to get this stuff to work for a little while now and was just getting more and more frustrated - all the posts folks put on here with what they did to resolve their problems were so helpful and sometimes it just takes that last post to get you going. Hopefully everyone keeps posting their ideas and fixes as there are probably a ton more people that read and are helped by the forums than anyone realizes.

CharlieBird
07-24-2011, 03:58 PM
Yeah! Yeah! Yeah, Kenny....:thanks:, Gracias. I finally got it after struggling for I will never tell how long! I was composing a "help, I'm stuck" post before a complete clean install thinking I had it all botched up again. Since I got Link2SD moving apps to the /data/sdext2 file (taking I will never tell how long) I was loathe to cry "Uncle". Took one last comparative look at your three files and lo and behold somehow I had add a carriage return causing a space between the last to lines of the install-recovery.sh file. Recopied, rebooted, wandered around for 20 mins hesitant see if that solved anything. It did of course and I danced around like a fool for a full 3 mins.
Maybe now I can quite dreaming of this thread.:D

I do have a couple of questions, should the Link 2SD app be also linked to SD card? What is the file intsdcard (with a date of Dec 69) containing a copy of the files in the internal storage files listed in the extsdcard? I know they're copies because one of the things I tried was deleting a couple and they were deleted in the both places.

Like the fool that I am, I'm already wondering if I ready to take on Market again.

Again, many thanks to you and all the wonderful, helpful folks in the eDGe MR Forum.
d

kennyminot
07-24-2011, 08:19 PM
:2thumbsup

I only jump started the process. Many folk on this thread have offered advice about how to streamline it. :)

To answer some of your questions . . .

1. The Link2SD program should only copy the files to your second partition, which is located in the data/sdext2 folder. You shouldn't see a duplicate copy on /sdcard.

2. I'm not sure about the intsdcard directory. I don't have anything like that in /extsdcard. That sounds a little weird . . . you said the internal storage files are there?

Anyway, glad to hear it's working!

fgruber
07-25-2011, 03:36 PM
I have a quick question. Is this procedure suppose to work even if you have move the library to the sdcard ? Has anyone tried?

kennyminot
07-26-2011, 10:21 AM
The cool thing is that you don't even need to worry about moving your library to the sdcard. Your eDGe does that automatically because it stores them in the /sdcard directory.

immjg
07-29-2011, 12:08 AM
I have a quick question. Is this procedure suppose to work even if you have move the library to the sdcard ? Has anyone tried?

Didn't work for me. Can't seem to get it to mount both partitions. Get message that card is blank and it wants to re-format.

kennyminot
07-29-2011, 05:04 AM
That sucks. From hearing about other people's experiences, you seem to need some patience to get it to work. Make sure you read through the entire thread. Also, if you haven't done this already . . . after you've swapped the two fstab files with the ones I uploaded, try dropping the install-recovery.sh into the /etc directory. Then, reboot and make sure the eDGe correctly recognizes your partitions before you jump into the Link2SD program.

Is Link2SD even recognizing your partition, out of curiosity?

ghentj
07-29-2011, 11:03 AM
I was getting that same error.
As long as you're sure you partitioned the card right (fat32 as first and ext3 as second) , fat32 is primary/active, try creating the /data/sdext2 (it did not exist on my unit, and if it doesn't on yours, that might be a good sign), and copy all 3 files that kennyminot posted. You might want also want to recheck the permissions for the files are:

User RWX
Group R-X
Other ---
for install-recovery.sh

RW-R--R--
for the external/internal modified vold files

then reboot.

I used the MiniTool Partition Wizard to partition my card.

Madmax78
08-05-2011, 01:59 AM
Never Mind..... I did not create my EXT3 partition as PRIMARY. It will not work if the Partition is LOGICAL!!!

I'm running into a mount script error when I select my EXT3 partition on the Link2SD Set up. The error reads:

do_mount: do_mount: dev /dev/block/vold/179:2 dir /data/sdext2 type ext3 flags 0x8000 loop 0
do_mount: calling mount: dev /dev/block/vold/179:2 dir /data/sdext2 s ext3 rwflag 0x8000 mount: Invalid argument

Is this part of the permissions issue someone else had mentioned?

Max

garyhgaryh
08-06-2011, 04:50 PM
I'm running out of space on my PE. I can't even install apps on my PE.

So I downloaded the minitool and partitioned my 32 G card 50% fat32 and 50% ext3. Do I make both primary? I only made the FAT32 primary and when I put the microSD card in, it doesn't recognize it. I try to format it but it fails to do that.

I'll try both as primary and see what happens. If anyone can guess what I'm doing wrong, please let me know!

And should I give preference to the fat32 or ext3 partition in terms of allocation (should I allocate more for ext3)?

Also, are you guys changing the setting for "Data Storage device"? If you change it to SD, you can never go back. I don't really have a grasp of what it really does.
Gary

CharlieBird
08-06-2011, 06:47 PM
:2thumbsup

I only jump started the process. Many folk on this thread have offered advice about how to streamline it. :)

That's why I thanked everyone! :)

Clarifying my storage question. In root of Root Explorer (Astro or ES Explorer) there are three folders pertaining to 'card': extsdcard, intsdcard and sdcard.

The first two contain exactly the same data and when there is a addition or deletion in either it immediately changes the other so they are still identical. It is no big deal because everything is working beautifully...I was just curious since I'd not seen it mentioned anywhere.

The two tabs in Library Storage are still reversed, i.e., internal storage is the sdcard and the sdcard tab opens internal storage. Is there any way to correct that? I guess there's no way to remove the Newspapers/Magazines icons in My Library? Obviously, also no big deals.

Apologize for taking so long to post but having regular satellite connection problems. Also been actually :bookworm: a book or two!

ghentj
08-06-2011, 11:50 PM
I had the same problem with it not detecting the card. if it did detect it, it would just say that it was blank and wanted to format it, or there was some problem with it.

I partitioned my card as fat32 first and primary/active, and second as ext3.

I made the fat32 partition larger (think most are doing the 5gb/2.5 gb for an 8 gb card). it turns out that 2.5 gb is a lot for apps and that will leave room for file storage.

check if you have a directory name /data/sdext2 off of the root. If not, try creating it - I think the directory creation was what was causing my issue. be sure to copy over kennyminot's 3 files as well and set the permissions

the 2 vold files to:
RW-R--R--

the install-recovery.sh file to
RWXR-X---

Hope that helps.
the post that helped me was here: http://tipstir.the-talk.net/t2993-link2sd-move-app-to-sdcard-android-21-eclair (look for post by emmerick about 2/3 the way down)
"- Using Root Explorer or another root file manager create folder /data/sdext2 (required only the first time you installed link2sd) - OBS: Probably the folder data already existed, simply create a folder inside sdext2"

garyhgaryh
08-07-2011, 07:47 AM
I had the same problem with it not detecting the card. if it did detect it, it would just say that it was blank and wanted to format it, or there was some problem with it.

I partitioned my card as fat32 first and primary/active, and second as ext3.

I made the fat32 partition larger (think most are doing the 5gb/2.5 gb for an 8 gb card). it turns out that 2.5 gb is a lot for apps and that will leave room for file storage.

check if you have a directory name /data/sdext2 off of the root. If not, try creating it - I think the directory creation was what was causing my issue. be sure to copy over kennyminot's 3 files as well and set the permissions

the 2 vold files to:
RW-R--R--

the install-recovery.sh file to
RWXR-X---

Hope that helps.
the post that helped me was here: http://tipstir.the-talk.net/t2993-link2sd-move-app-to-sdcard-android-21-eclair (look for post by emmerick about 2/3 the way down)
"- Using Root Explorer or another root file manager create folder /data/sdext2 (required only the first time you installed link2sd) - OBS: Probably the folder data already existed, simply create a folder inside sdext2"

Thanks. I'm trying to create the sdext2 dir in the data dir but my terminal emulator does not allow me to type in numbers!

garyhgaryh
08-07-2011, 03:29 PM
Ok, I can't get my PE to recognize the FAT32 or the ext3 partition.

Does this look right?

I'm going to verify I have the latest link2sd.

Gary

garyhgaryh
08-07-2011, 03:52 PM
Yay! I finally got it to work!

Thanks, kennyminot for figuring out the method, and for responding to my questions. I suggest some slight changes to the overall method that might make future attempts easier.

Steps 1 and 2 work fine.

Here's where I suggest changing things slightly.

Step 2.1 Make a copy of the files you are planning to change. Put them on a usb drive, or your computer. Stick a .txt at the end, so you don't confuse your devices. This'll make it easier to change things back if the process goes "pear-shaped."

Step 3: Map your sdcard onto the /sdcard directory.dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /block/mmcblk0. . .

Download the 3 files kennyminot was kind enough to post. Replace the existing /system/etc files AND add the install-recovery.sh file (remove the .txt from the files).

Step 3.1: Make sure your partitiioned card is in the slot, and reboot.

Step 4: Setup Link2SD. Click on the program. It should automatically detect your second partition. . .

No changes needed---after reboot . . .

Step 5: Modify the Link2SD script to manually mount your sdcard's first partition. . .

. . .again. Link2SD messes with the install-recovery.sh file when it runs the setup (or, at least it did when I tried it), all you need to do is replace it again with the file kennyminot provided.

5.1 Reboot your eDGe (last time). Your system should now have mapped the first partition of your sdcard to the /sdcard directory.

6. Sort out where all your files went. Your Edge may not be able to find some of your application saved files and likely your library files. You'll need to move them over to the right folder in the sd card. If you're not sure where the Edge THINKS the files are, try saving a new one in whatever app is the problem, then find the old files (now on /extsd) and put them in the new folder. I found when using RootExplorer, that if I tried to replace the sd card library file with the folder that actually contained my library files, it made a sub-folder instead, so you may need to "multi-select," select all the files, copy and paste.

Hopefully, this'll save someone else some frustration.

What do you mean by this:

Please clarify. My PE just does not recoginize my microsd card. I think I have everything right, but obviously something is wrong.

I'm tempted to reformat it with sdformatter, but I don't think that's my issue.
It's as if my sd card does not exist.

Gary

garyhgaryh
08-07-2011, 04:47 PM
Ok guys, I got it working! After covering so many possible issues, including checking on the version of link2sd (which I have 1.7.0), what did it for me is this:

1. reformat the 32G micro sd card with sdformatter
2. use minitool to create the two partitions.

I did create the sdext2 directory in the data dir but that did not resolve my issue, but reformatting it with sdformatter made it work. Creating that directory could have helped, but Kenny did not have to do it so I'm not sure if it's needed although it may.

I was just sure minitool worked since I tried it about 4-5x. But additional step of using sdformatter before minitool was the key to my issues and I only did a quick format which took a few seconds.

Thanks all for your help esp Kenny and ghentj.

I was starting to think that going with a 32G microsd card was my failing, but it wasn't. I now have fat 32 set to 20G and the rest (about 10G) goes to ext3.

Gary

ghentj
08-07-2011, 07:44 PM
Good to hear you got it working! It makes a big difference when you no longer care how many apps you have installed because you have so much room now!

I'm not sure why it seems everyone has to try different things to get it working (I'd be curious to know how many were able to just follow the steps straight up and make this work). Seems like you just have to spend time with it to get it going, but I'm glad I stuck with it as well. What's interesting is that I didn't even use sdformatter, but tried other countless ways to do it (including booting puppy Linux to use Linux tools to partition/format the card). My final step happened to be just creating that directory.

garyhgaryh
08-08-2011, 02:21 AM
Good to hear you got it working! It makes a big difference when you no longer care how many apps you have installed because you have so much room now!

I'm not sure why it seems everyone has to try different things to get it working (I'd be curious to know how many were able to just follow the steps straight up and make this work). Seems like you just have to spend time with it to get it going, but I'm glad I stuck with it as well. What's interesting is that I didn't even use sdformatter, but tried other countless ways to do it (including booting puppy Linux to use Linux tools to partition/format the card). My final step happened to be just creating that directory.

Well, had a nice suprise. I downloaded Contract Killer, a free app from the Amazon App store. As it was starting up, my PE was frozen for 30 secs, then it asked me to download a data file. Asked if I wanted to put it on SDCard. I wasn't sure if it was going to work, but I said yes, and it downloaded the "Big Bounty.big" data file which I later discovered was 217megs. My app storage or what link2sd calls "internal" shows 180M free so I was worried. I realize the download was really going into my /sdcard 20G 1st partition so I was elated!

Too bad my download stopped at 151M. I lost wifi connection and my PE rebooted! That's another issue.
Gary

Update: about the app freezing the PE, I read the app does it to other devices too. I was able to restart the download after reconnecting to the wifi. Download is going...

garyhgaryh
08-08-2011, 12:54 PM
I noticed after the mount point swap that I no longer can access my library. No surprised since someone else mentioned it.

Anyways, to get our library back, copy /mnt/extsdcard/.edge /mnt/sdcard/.edge (do a recursive copy).

I noticed that I'm missing my calendar e-ink notes. Where are those kept?

Also, I had a scare yesterday. After ejecting my usb0 memory card, my sd-card was unmounted. I think I accidently unmounted the sdcard instead of the usb0 memcard (or it may be an error in ejecting but I think it was my issue). When I noticed that, I rebooted, but it came up with sdcard is blank and all my programs I moved over were not accessible. I had to reboot again for it to mount it correctly.

Gary

CharlieBird
08-16-2011, 01:28 PM
What use are you guys making of the /extsdcard (internal storage) partition after setting up Link2SD?

garyhgaryh
08-16-2011, 01:43 PM
What use are you guys making of the /extsdcard (internal storage) partition after setting up Link2SD?

Minitool on the pc. Probably one of the better ones.
Gary

CharlieBird
08-16-2011, 04:02 PM
Gary

I have not the foggiest idea to what you are referring!:blink::o

garyhgaryh
08-16-2011, 04:24 PM
I have not the foggiest idea to what you are referring!:blink::o

lol... i misread your questions.. I thought you were tasking how we made our partition, but you asked what are we "making of /extsdcard partition after setting up link2sd".

What do you mean by that? How much memory we allocated? What format?
I have it as ext3 and i partitioned my 32 gig card as 20/12 (fat/ext3).
Gary

CharlieBird
08-16-2011, 04:59 PM
I'm talking about the 3GB internal storage, which in Root Explorer is /extsdcard (and in Storage on my PE is listed as the SDCard; the Internal Storage listed there is the first partition of my SDCard*).

I have books, pictures, music stored on the first partition of my SDCard. I was just wondering how folks were using the 3GB internal storage. It seems kind of useless unless a person were to run out of room on there SDCard...too many books, too much music.

It's not impossible I've not set this up right. But it's working fine and most of my user apps are moved to the sdext2 partition.

*my 16 GB SD Card being partitioned: FAT32: 11GB
Ext3: 3.83GB.

Leesterz
08-18-2011, 11:18 PM
I'm running into a mount script error when I select my EXT3 partition on the Link2SD Set up. The error reads:

do_mount: do_mount: dev /dev/block/vold/179:2 dir /data/sdext2 type ext3 flags 0x8000 loop 0
do_mount: calling mount: dev /dev/block/vold/179:2 dir /data/sdext2 s ext3 rwflag 0x8000 mount: Invalid argument

Max

I am seeing this exact same problem. I read the entire thread and tried a lot of different things with no luck.

I'm curious about the do_mount error -- i see something about /data/sdext type ext3... I'm thinking there might be a problem with that directory? I did create one myself like someone else had suggested, but it's just an empty directory.

[edit] I forgot to mention that my sd card is mounted and I see 6.46 gigs total space under Internal Storage, which is the amount of the FAT32 directory of my SD card. So, the card is mounted correctly and the files that I copy/pasted into the system folder also seem to be correct.

Leesterz

forko23
08-22-2011, 05:38 AM
How am I to be able to copy these files to the system/etc directory? I'm very new to all of this but I've computered for a few years yet I have no Unix experience. Can someone please point me in the right direction as I too am out of space for apps on my PE.

jmgazer
08-23-2011, 07:33 AM
Gary

Using Mini Tool for SD card (8GB), EE reads the SD with 4GB size partition, but when I use the remainder unallocated for ext2, 3, or 4 the EE says "Damaged SD card". What am I doing wrong? What do I do with the unallocated space?

Jim

Now when I make a second partition with ext2 I get "Blank SD Card", and files and folders dissappear. Can see them in windows, and of course not the ext2 partition except in the Mini Tool program.

DarthClem
08-26-2011, 06:05 PM
The two tabs in Library Storage are still reversed, i.e., internal storage is the sdcard and the sdcard tab opens internal storage. Is there any way to correct that?

Did anyone ever answer this? Because that is happening to me too. I've been through this thread several times over the last couple of hours as I have attempted to get this process working on my PE, but I didn't see an answer.

So is this a side effect of the process or did I screw something up along the way?

Also, I did get everything else to work (eventually). Big thanks to Kenny and attemptress!

DarthClem
08-26-2011, 06:58 PM
Okay, I must have done something to screw things up. Whenever I try to open an item from the library, such as any image or book that came with the eDGe, I get an error that says "The file could not be found, please try again later." -- even though I can see the thumbnail.

CharlieBird
08-26-2011, 07:56 PM
This happened to me also. I just deleted items that wouldn't open (everything) and re-added to Library. With Kenny's repartitioning and Link2SD installed the Library is now stored on the 1st (main) partition of the sdCard, i.e:
/sdcard/.edge/.esi-content

I changed the tab name "Library" to "sd..esi" to remind myself.

Leesterz
09-02-2011, 03:50 PM
Hey all. So I tried doing this but haven't had any luck so far. I am going to try starting from scratch by undoing all of the changes I made. Can anyone post the text files that I replaced? I replaced them with the ones that were provided in the tutorial, their names are below.

vold.fstab.external.txt
vold.fstab.internal.txt

Again, I need the originals, not the modified ones. Thanks!

P.S. If you know the answer to my problem that would be much easier than starting over! Here's a quote from someone who's having the same problem.

Max

roxcoel
09-06-2011, 10:31 AM
Hope this isn't a dumb question.. I would prefer to use the 3GB internal storage for apps /system files only and use sd card for all the misc stuff (books, music, pics). Assuming I can get all transferred to SD card first, would it work to just apply the same techniques a second time, to reassign apps back to the larger internal storage partition?

Leesterz
09-14-2011, 10:31 PM
So I'm stuck on step 4. I pasted all of the files that Kennyminot attached into my /system/etc directory (all 3) and formatted my SD card, but when I run Link2SD and select "ext3" it says:

Mount script error
Mount script cannot be created.

do_mount: do_mount: dev/dev/block/vold/179:2
dir/data/sdext2 type ext3 flags 0x8000 loop 0
do_mount: calling mount: dev/dev/block/
vold/179:2 dir/data/sdext2 s ext3 rwflag 0x8000
mount: Invalid argument

So yeah that is what it says. I see some stuff about ext3,vold, and sdext2. Not sure what all that means. Any suggestions?

Also, can someone post the original vold.fstab.internal and external files? I simply replaced mine and if I don't get any answers to my questions I'd like to undo my changes.

Thanks!

kennyminot
09-17-2011, 08:52 AM
Leesterz -

You'll need someone else to post the original fstab files, although you can easily fix them just by switching around the extsdcard and sdcard references. Here's a question: did you make sure to restart your device after copying over the fstab files? You need to actually reboot before it will recognize the devices. Otherwise, the experience of other people with this approach is that it is somewhat temperamental, so you might have to fiddle with it for awhile to get it to work.

roxcoel -

Not a simple question. Depends on how you are storing your media on the device. Some programs automatically dump data on the /sdcard partition, which is basically the default storage place. So you might have difficulty keeping the two entirely divided.

ghentj
09-19-2011, 12:06 PM
I applied this mod to another PE and wanted to just list what did it for me (after following kennyminot's instructions.

Hopefully if anyone is still messing with this and they haven't tried this, they can.

I partitioned my card as fat32 first and primary/active, and second as ext3 using minitool v7 (new version).

check if you have a directory name /data/sdext2 off of the root. If not, try creating it

It still did not work though until I changed the permissions (used ES file manager - the new version says it's not compatible but, the older one allows you turn on Root Access. The new one complains about not having some kind of custom roms). I guess you can use any file tool as long as it lets you modify file permissions.

I changed the install-recovery.sh file and the 2 vold files permissions to
RWXR-X---

After reboot it worked. before this, I would get the SD card error message.

Tarzo
09-23-2011, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the great walk-through but I think I went wrong somewhere on my PE. I created a partition on my 16 g card using minitool partition wizard so that the main part is 12.5 g FAT32 and the remaining smaller partition is ext3. Both are primary. I replaced the void.fstab.internal and .external files with the modified ones and installed link2sd and fought with it for a while until I read further to the part about installing the install-recovery.sh file and then re-modifying it after link2sd got setup. When I open link2sd and look at storage info it lists the internal storage, SD card, and SD Card 2nd Part. I made sure all my permissions for the 3 files matched those in post 42 of this thread. I have a /data/sdext2 folder that I did not have to set up manually that only contains an empty lost+found folder. I have rebooted/powered off countless times since I did all this. The card was brand new and I did not format it at any point
Now here is where I am confused. When I try to use link2sd to move an app to the sd card "failure"occurs every time. Am I supposed to be moving the apps using root explorer and just using link2sd to create a link? I primarily use amazon market to install apps. If I set up all of the above correctly should the apps still get put in /data/app when I install them? Or did I mess up somewhere in my setup?
The main thing that prompted me to go through this is trying to get one of my Amazon apps (I have an android phone too) to work on my PE. From other thread posts I have read I am suspicious that lack of storage is not the issue but I figured I'd give this a try anyway as it will be handy for the future. I am trying to install Moo, Baa, La La La which is an interactive ebook (to be read on the lcd side) of one of my toddler's faves. The app fails to install without giving a reason. If I try physically removing the sd card as suggested in another thread I get the error message that an sd card is required to download the app. I tried using the terminal emulator to unmount the card but I get "unmount: not found" which I was thinking was because of altering how the PE sees the sdcard with the link2sd setup but again I am not sure.
Would there maybe be file(s) for the Moo, Baa app on the microsd card from my phone that I could copy to the microsd card for my PE to get it to work? My phone (MT4G) is not rooted (my PE is)- I was waiting to do it since the official gingerbread update is supposedly rolling out any day now and I wanted to check it out first- so I can't see all the files. I couldn't find any files obviously associated with this app using my PC to explore the sd card but I may not know where to look.
Thanks for any advice and sorry for so many questions. I have successfully rooted and flashed a new rom on my old android phone (G1) but not by completely understanding all of this but by following the instructions of others.

ghentj
09-24-2011, 01:03 AM
It sounds like you're saying that everything seems to work fine until you actually try to link an app through link2sd.

I link using the link2sd app. In fact, it's set to automatically link anything installed, so it just does it and puts a notification up that it did so, and nothing outside (except for the initial setup) is needed to do the linking.

Do you get any sdcard errors when you boot up?

All I can think of is if you have another (even if smaller) microsd card to try out from a phone, mp3 player or other device, it might be worth seeing if you can at least make that work. On the PEs I'm using 8gb cards, but on my phone, I'm using a 16GB card without any problems. I had to use an ext2 partition on my phone, but don't know if that was just a limitation of my phone.

I'm not sure about the storage issue with the app you're trying to install, but it might be related somehow. Can you store other files manually on the sdcard (like downloaded files or transferred files) without issues, and are able to open them up to make sure they work okay?

Tarzo
09-25-2011, 10:29 PM
Thanks for your help. I just needed to hit the create link button and not the move to sd card button in link2sd.

Taryn

ghentj
09-26-2011, 12:12 AM
Glad you hear you got it working. Seems like you had it right and it was just figuring out what to do (or not to do).

I just updated my link2sd and now I'm seeing what you were talking about - a new option to "Move to SD Card" that wasn't there before. In fact there are other changes to the UI that I don't remember either (the filtering used to have an 'unlinked' choice that I no longer see.

tekknogenius
09-27-2011, 10:58 AM
I finally got it to work. At first I had the partitions in the wrong order. Then for some reason I couldn't get it to work at all. Then I read the post by attlemptress (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1646389&postcount=24) which helped me get it going. My error seemed to be that the sdcard was not being recognized by the PE so I had to insert it after I turned the PE on then followed the instructions from kennyminot (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1594534&postcount=1). I manually mounted the sdcard using the following:

commands which were step three of attempress's instructions.

Thank you both, now I have some room!

jamina1
09-27-2011, 11:09 AM
Here's a question - why do you even need link2sd. Say, theoretically you performed steps 1-3 (up to changing the mount points) on a fresh install. Wouldn't the PE start installing any subsequently installed apps on your sdcard instead of the internal storage since its mapped to /sdcard?

tekknogenius
09-27-2011, 03:33 PM
Here's a question - why do you even need link2sd. Say, theoretically you performed steps 1-3 (up to changing the mount points) on a fresh install. Wouldn't the PE start installing any subsequently installed apps on your sdcard instead of the internal storage since its mapped to /sdcard?

No. link2sd uses the 2nd partition of the formatted sdcard to store applications which gets mapped to /data/sdext2 directory. The 1st partition is mapped to the /sdcard directory. Normally the PE will install applications to the internal memory which has been allocated only 350mb or something ridiculously small like that.

All system files will still be installed to internal (tried to move gmail using link2sd, but no dice)

Z36u86
09-29-2011, 09:21 AM
I have attempted to do use the sdcard with Link2SD program as described in this thread.
However, I seem to have done something wrong, which I can't figure out what. Now my device after restarting, doesn't boot completely. It keeps showing the start-up (booting) dots again and again, but never shows the desktop.

I did all the instructions that are told in the thread "[How To] Move Apps to your SDcard in Ermine".
I could get Link2SD link my apps to the SD card also. I used a 8GB sdcard and partitioned it into 4.5 GB FAT and 3.5GB ext3. and made the changes to vold.fstab.internal and vold.fstab.external. I actually copied these files from the thread, including the install install-recovery.sh file. Everything seem to went fine, as I the sd card was correctly detected and showed the correct disk space. I could even link apps with Link2SD. I linked the google-market and google-services app to the sdcard. Then while I tried to use the market, the device got hung. I waited for about an hour for it but it did not come out. Then I tried to power off the device, but it would not power off too. Then I used the reset switch on the side of the device. The device powered off, but upon restarting it is now not booting. Just showing the booting progress dots continuously.

I have no way of even changing it to its original configuration. After severl poweroffs and restarts, it shows the same behaviour. Then I tried the update process with first the ermine update and the golden update, both of which didnot work. The device stays in the same state.

Kindly suggest anything to rescue my pocket edge.

ivanjt
09-29-2011, 04:40 PM
I have attempted to do use the sdcard with Link2SD program as described in this thread.
However, I seem to have done something wrong, which I can't figure out what. Now my device after restarting, doesn't boot completely. It keeps showing the start-up (booting) dots again and again, but never shows the desktop.

I did all the instructions that are told in the thread "[How To] Move Apps to your SDcard in Ermine".
I could get Link2SD link my apps to the SD card also. I used a 8GB sdcard and partitioned it into 4.5 GB FAT and 3.5GB ext3. and made the changes to vold.fstab.internal and vold.fstab.external. I actually copied these files from the thread, including the install install-recovery.sh file. Everything seem to went fine, as I the sd card was correctly detected and showed the correct disk space. I could even link apps with Link2SD. I linked the google-market and google-services app to the sdcard. Then while I tried to use the market, the device got hung. I waited for about an hour for it but it did not come out. Then I tried to power off the device, but it would not power off too. Then I used the reset switch on the side of the device. The device powered off, but upon restarting it is now not booting. Just showing the booting progress dots continuously.

I have no way of even changing it to its original configuration. After severl poweroffs and restarts, it shows the same behaviour. Then I tried the update process with first the ermine update and the golden update, both of which didnot work. The device stays in the same state.

Kindly suggest anything to rescue my pocket edge.
Simple answer - revert to dingo (1.6) using the PE golden update - look up how to do - then upgrade back to ermine.

BE CERTAIN TO USE THE FILES FOR THE PE!!!

Z36u86
09-29-2011, 10:21 PM
Simple answer - revert to dingo (1.6) using the PE golden update - look up how to do - then upgrade back to ermine.

BE CERTAIN TO USE THE FILES FOR THE PE!!!

I tried reverting to dingo 1.6.
I followed the usual update method. Holding the menu and rotate buttons before turning on the PE. The "Updating Software" message came after a while but soon disappeared in about 1 or 2 seconds. Then PE keeps behaving as usual. Continuously displaying the booting process. I thought I might use a different update.zip file and wanted to copy it to the SD card. To my astonishment, the previous update.zip file is not present on the sd card.
I copied again update.zip and retried the update process. The same thing is repeated. Again when I checked the SD card, the update.zip file is gone. I think PE is deleting or moving the update.zip file to somewhere and then update is not happening. I wanted to use the USB stick for update, but I never got the update via USB stick. As discussed in the forum, it is known issue that PE sometimes doesn't update from USBs.
Any suggestions.

Z36u86
09-29-2011, 11:09 PM
Could you point me to the correct PE Golden update files?

forko23
09-30-2011, 05:10 AM
Try this link -

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131491

rzYrOk
09-30-2011, 09:23 AM
Try this link -

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131491

Thank you for the link. Well, I actually did have the same dingo file. But it is not working. It never installs but instead the update.zip file is getting deleted from the sdcard.

jamina1
09-30-2011, 09:39 AM
So I used clockwork mod to partition the sd card and it partitioned the sd card INSIDE My phone, not the external one that I inserted. Now my phone is basically wiped.

Z36u86
09-30-2011, 11:09 AM
Thank you for the link. Well, I actually did have the same dingo file. But it is not working. It never installs but instead the update.zip file is getting deleted from the sdcard.
I unknowingly created two logins at the forum. Will ask the administrators to delete one.

jamina1
09-30-2011, 07:25 PM
For those of you having a problem with the edge/pocket edge recognizing the partitioned SD card:
I could not ever get this working after trying many times, until I manually created this folder:
/data/sdext2

I also did mess with permissions (so I'll list them in case it was some kind of combination that fixed my problem)
for the link2sd to:
User RWX
Group R-X
Other ---

and changed the external/internal modified vold files to
RW-R--R--

Hope that helps anyone having the same problems/frustration I did.

It was located somewhere in here: http://tipstir.the-talk.net/t2993-link2sd-move-app-to-sdcard-android-21-eclair on post from emmerick.

Thank you, this fixed my issue :D

hector_joni
10-04-2011, 11:46 AM
Didn't work for me. Can't seem to get it to mount both partitions. Get message that card is blank and it wants to re-format.
I can just only remarkably confirm this. I tried the steps with my pocket uncountable times two nights in the row; at first I thought the partition was the problem, then the permissions, and then the order of the executing steps. Then I tried the steps on the pocket of my friend, who hadnt have move the library (settings/storage device manager) into the SD-card and it worked perfectly. So I had to golden update my PE :) (The Problem has something to do with the install recovery file. I needed some how another specifications. Too complicated for me, anyway...)

By the way, I had the oportunity to check at the permissions before changing the files.
In my friends pocket the first two files had all the permissions on and the recovery file had:
xxx
x0x
x0x
Any file you copy from the computer to the edge will have the permissions of the owner automatically off.

Thank you guys very much for this tremendous teamwork and selfness!
Greetings from germany:)

ghentj
10-04-2011, 08:45 PM
Glad to hear you all got it working!

tekknogenius
10-05-2011, 10:53 AM
Has anyone else noticed that you sometimes loose the application? What I mean is that either the application gets uninstalled somehow or gets removed from the application list. When I re-install I get the message saying it will keep my existing data (proof that it was currently installed). Then sometimes the apps just re-appear.

fgruber
10-07-2011, 01:01 AM
It seems that the latest version of link2sd does not create this install-recovery file. I tried copying it and it is just being ignored.

Also, are you using the latest version of Link2SD? Go into the program, hit menu, go to settings, and select "about." You should see "version 1.6.2." If you have an earlier version, it might only work with ext2 partitions. The newer one is more versatile and allows ext2, ext3, ext4, and fat32 support.

Finally, do you have the EXACT error message?

Hope this helps!

hector_joni
10-08-2011, 06:38 PM
I wanted to confirm, that if some of you are having problem with some apps, that arent getting installed; try removing the sd-card and then try installing the app. I have now the last version of aldiko 2.0.2 working fine!

ghentj
10-12-2011, 11:35 PM
hector_joni, are you saying that after you do the link2sd setup and then have an app fail to install because of some sd-card related message, then it may work if we remove the card?

I have some apps that complain about not being able to install to the sd-card...

jfgirl
10-14-2011, 09:09 PM
Question:

Will this work if you don't root the PE and use the programs from the "Ermine + Market = Allmine" section of the forum?

hector_joni
10-15-2011, 03:22 PM
hector_joni, are you saying that after you do the link2sd setup and then have an app fail to install because of some sd-card related message, then it may work if we remove the card?
I have some apps that complain about not being able to install to the sd-card...

I dont actually know for what reason aldiko was failing to get installed. I suposse, it was sd-card related. But yes I installed Ermine 1.02, did lin2sd setup and the installed aldiko. Another app that just could get installed by unmountig the s-card was SVOX german voice. Give it try and post back if it works!

This is not actually my idea, I think I read it somewhere here (Ive read to many stuff, to remember).

elpegues
10-23-2011, 10:28 PM
Anyone have time to youtube this process or do this process "for dummies" in a very simple step by step way? The directions and possible glitches seem very difficult and I am so so lost. Especially the part in which I need to use Root Explorer to change file names or copy and paste text. I have a 16 gig sd card and I am almost out of room on my PE. I also read another method that only involves changing text commands in Root Explorer. Not sure the simplest way to get this done, I thank you so much for any help you can give me.

Filark
10-30-2011, 04:13 AM
Hi elpegues :)

I don't have answers for you, but one of these days I will need those same answers myself, so thought I'd bump the thread. ;)

Welcome to MobileRead -- or to posting here, anyway! :p

ghentj
11-09-2011, 11:26 AM
Question:

Will this work if you don't root the PE and use the programs from the "Ermine + Market = Allmine" section of the forum?

I'm pretty sure you need to have a rooted device to do this becuase it involves changing system files for the sdcard mounting (at least for using link2sd app).

Jeff Butler
11-09-2011, 12:15 PM
I also would love a step-by-step guide for us non-linux folks...

Please...

Jeff

flyred77
11-09-2011, 04:13 PM
So I just read this statement on the TiBU's feature list. "Move app data to/from SD card (needs ext2/3/4 partition)"

Does that mean that I STILL have to walk through all the steps given here to move app data to the card OR can UI create just an EXT2 partition as primary and use TiBU to do it without making all the boot and sys changes?

TIA

flyred77
11-10-2011, 03:44 PM
BUT, it was not as easy as expected. My husband took care of this for me because I am not a Linux geek. I am an experienced user, but this was out of my league.

He learned a lot that he hopes to find time to share with everyone.

tekknogenius
11-10-2011, 03:58 PM
BUT, it was not as easy as expected. My husband took care of this for me because I am not a Linux geek. I am an experienced user, but this was out of my league.

He learned a lot that he hopes to find time to share with everyone.

Having access to a linux box makes it much simpler to create the partions. Three commands takes care of it all.

cfdisk /dev/sda to create the two partitions on the sdcard
mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda2 to format the ext3 partition
mkfs.vfat /dev/sda1 to format the vfat partition

Note the sda portion of the above commands is only if your sdcard loads as sda, it coulld be sdb or sdc or sdd or sde ... you could check by running dmesg to see what it loaded as.

There are other ways of doing this, of course, but this is how I did it.

danceyeah
11-11-2011, 09:06 AM
I got my PE set up (wow, what a headache!) the way Kenny indicated. My edge now lets me install apps and then link them over to the EXT3 partition of my sd card (sdext2 directory). But I still have a couple of small problems.

The first is that one of my apps allows me access to a large library...about 500 mb of materials. That's too much material for the space on the edge internal partition. But that library doesn't want to move over to the card. I can physically copy it to the sdext2, but then the app won't recognize that it's there. Link2SD says it allows library materials to be linked over, but I think what's going on in this case is that the app stores everything in a database, so Link2SD doesn't recognize it and move it over. (The app is Gospel Library from the LDS church if anyone is willing to give this a go...) I'm wondering if anyone knows of any app that works similarly to Link2SD but that will allow me to point an app to the SD directory to find db materials.

The second issue is that every time I start up the PE I get an error saying that the SD card is blank. This is more a minor annoyance than anything. Like I said, Link2SD is using the sdext2 directory for apps when I ask it to. And anything I put on the FAT32 partition shows up in libraries (music files, for instance). If anyone knows how to turn off that particular error message, that would be appreciated.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated!!!!

tekknogenius
11-11-2011, 01:45 PM
The second issue is that every time I start up the PE I get an error saying that the SD card is blank. This is more a minor annoyance than anything. Like I said, Link2SD is using the sdext2 directory for apps when I ask it to. And anything I put on the FAT32 partition shows up in libraries (music files, for instance). If anyone knows how to turn off that particular error message, that would be appreciated.

Make sure you have it setup correctly. Check the storage info from link2sd (menu/storage info). You should see all three partitions: internal, sd card and sd card 2nd partition. It doesn't sound like you have it setup correctly.

danceyeah
11-11-2011, 02:12 PM
When I check in Link2SD it shows 3 partitions:

Internal (58% Free)
Total: 322MB Used: 132MB Free: 190MB

SD Card (98% Free)
Total: 11.83GB Used: 183MB Free: 11.65GB

SD Card 2nd Part. (99% Free)
Total: 2.89GB Used: 14.34MB Free 2.88GB

Since I have a 16GB card (which totals 14 usable gig) and SD Card and SD Card 2nd Part. add to that 14GB (and a 3/11 split is what I formatted it for), it seems that the card is being read correctly.

Of course, the "internal sd" which is the main chunk of on-board memory doesn't show, but I think that's at least half full of running things anyway (like the preinstalled help videos), and I'm not that worried about that. If I could access it to put the library files on there, that would be nice, but when I tried to move to the app to sd before I started the whole process, it said that was already too full to move it back then.

tekknogenius
11-12-2011, 08:46 AM
Well it seems that all partitions are loaded correctly. Perhaps you need to increase the sleep in the install-recovery.sh file in the /etc directory (that's what mounts the two partitions). You should not be getting that "blank sd card" message. Also, when you look at the device storage from the android settings menu, do you see that your 1st partition is loaded as the internal storage total space, SD card total space should be 2.4 gb and application storage should show 322 mb (that really is a very small amount LOL)

Last_of_the_PEs
11-15-2011, 02:15 AM
I finally got a 32GB micro-SD (from 1SaleaDay) and thought I'd try "the big move". Then I read this thread and decided to hold off.

If I run out of memory, I'll just kill myself instead.

tekknogenius
11-15-2011, 06:17 PM
I finally got a 32GB micro-SD (from 1SaleaDay) and thought I'd try "the big move". Then I read this thread and decided to hold off.

You've got a 32gb SD ... what are you waiting for? Just do it! :book2: :bookworm: :blink: :eek: :D :thumbsup:

Filark
11-18-2011, 02:11 AM

:rofl: I know what you mean! :p But think how nice it will be when it's done! ;)

flyred77
11-18-2011, 10:54 AM

It sounds like maybe you are not getting your SD mounted correctly or perhaps you are mounting it late enough in the boot sequence that it has not finished mounting when you are up and running. This happens to me me when I connect to my computer. The system seems to un-mount the card completely and then of course there is no way to remount other than a reboot. Since DH is the Linux guru, I am going to talk to him about a little script that I can execute from a shortcut to remount that thing so I don't have to reboot every time. I also have to be very careful, because when it is unmounted, my eDGe offers to format it for me when I do try to access it. Of course if I would take the time to set up my network shares, I could save myself from work and not have to connect to the PC as often!

akatonbo
01-01-2012, 12:04 PM
Many thanks to kennyminot and everyone who contributed tips on how they got things working. I finally got it to behave itself after doing a FULL (overwrite) reformat with SDFormatter and then repartitioning, and it's going to save me so much trouble on my eDGe (and let me play with some of the huge beautiful games I've been avoiding because they take up double digit megabytes). Kudos for all your efforts and documentation of them!

multiprose
01-06-2012, 05:36 PM
hi!

i completed the procedure successfully but i have a question.

could this mod affect the USB debugging option? after doing this mod, I found that i could no longer connect the PE to my PC through USB debugging and have the drives show up.

asnider123
01-28-2012, 07:35 PM
Using Mini Tool for SD card (8GB), EE reads the SD with 4GB size partition, but when I use the remainder unallocated for ext2, 3, or 4 the EE says "Damaged SD card". What am I doing wrong? What do I do with the unallocated space?

Jim

Now when I make a second partition with ext2 I get "Blank SD Card", and files and folders dissappear. Can see them in windows, and of course not the ext2 partition except in the Mini Tool program.

I got a 16gb card and I am having the same problem. However, swapping the extsdcard and sdcard works fine, providing the card has only one partition, that's where I am right now, with a 16g "sdcard" and a 3g "extcard". Which got me to thinking ....

Since Android allows "mounts" or redirects, I am thinking I could mount that 3gig partition as whatever the Android normally installs programs. That would give me 3gb instead of 300mb of apps space and leave me 16gb for data.

So how can I accomplish this? I know it should be as easy as adding another mount command to the sdcard script, but not sure how to write it.

Thanks
Alan:smack:

asnider123
01-28-2012, 08:05 PM
Well, I poked around and found .apk files in two locations: /system/app and /data/app ... it appears that these are the install packages. No matter which one I choose, it says "do you want to replace the app?" or something like that. I guess, therefore, that the contents of these two folders may be safe to move to SDCARD.

Would moving them give you additional app space?:blink:

kennyminot
01-28-2012, 10:27 PM

LOL - I had a lot of fun getting this to work. :)

asnider123
01-28-2012, 11:05 PM
Well, I experimented further by renaming one of the apk files in the /data/app folder, getjar....apk in particular. I added ".old" to the name, then went back to my launcher and clicked the icon. ERROR!!!!!! Renamed it back, now it works fine, though the icon changed to a generic Android one (I think it will get the correct icon back eventually).

So.... would it work to:
1. copy all files and subfolders in /data/app to /extsdcard (remember, it's been remapped to the 3gb chunk of internal ram)
2. change the vold .. internal file to mount that extsdcard folder with the name /data/app
3. reboot

I am thinking that this would give me 3gigs of internal app space.

So what's wrong with this approach? Why would it not work? If it would, how would I mod my vold file to map the former sdcard to /data/app? Would I need to mod any other file to avoid the original mapping of the /data/app folder?

Thanks
Alan

Gerrye
08-20-2012, 02:54 PM
Just for curiosity. Is anyone still trying to perform this type of mod? I tried and got the Link2SD working, but I still do not have any recognition of my Vfat partition in either the Edge storage devices or in Link2SD, even though the 2nd partition (Ext3) is recognized.

Link2SD storage info says:

Internal (93%) free, /data Total: 2.32 gb, Used: 159mb Free: 2.17gb,
SD Card removed,
SD Card 2nd Part. (91%) free, /data/sdext2 Total: 7.48gb, Used 640mb, Free: 6.84gb,
System: 44% free
Cache: 99% free

Edge device storage:

Data Storage device: SD card
Application Storage: Total space 2.32gb, Available space 2.17gb
SD card: Total Space Unavailable Available space Unavailable...

I am able to create links to the Ext3 partition and the files are moving there, but I cannot find my books, etc on the device storage or the library.

Any thoughts on getting the Edge to recognize the Vfat partition? Short of repartioning and re-formatting.

tarvoke
08-21-2012, 10:34 AM
not sure if I've seen it mentioned here before, but recently I've been reading about using cronmod (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1716124)

obviously our 2.2 edge machines don't have init.d, but something like script manager or autostart root should do the same function.

when I have some free time I'll mess around with the 40int2ext script (INT2EXT+ - it's the recommended one apparently - http://d-h.st/xwB - link goes to CWM-type recovery installer .zip, actual necessary single script file is in system/etc/init.d/ of the zip)

at first glance it looks like the script isn't doing anything really beyond the abilities of the edge (well aside from ext4 support I imagine) so it will almost work as-is - other than the missing zipalign binary, which is easy enough to get (e.g. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=594615) but still needs manual cli install.

if something interesting happens I'll mention about it...

(there's also still the problem of the "missing/damaged" sd card error - fix is easy and could simply be added to the script, although the error would still show up, not to mention sleep/resume or add/remove card could be problematic...)

Gerrye
08-21-2012, 06:08 PM
Tarvoke,
Thanks for the reply, maybe some others, with much more expertise than I, will take interest in keeping this thread alive, and possibly simplify the process that Kenny Minot so valiantly and faithfully tried to pass on to some of us less than proficient Edge lovers.

Even with my Vfat error, moving the apps to the SD card using this process will extend the life of my PE, until there is no battery(ies) left or something happens to the "innerds". We have three PEs and love them like pets. Hopefully they will live long and prosper...

Thanks again for the reply,

Gerrye
12-19-2012, 06:56 PM
Just another bump in hopes that someone will take interest in my missing SD card issue. I would love to get both of my PEs working with Link2SD, but until the first is working, the primary PE stays with the original system... Help if you can...

fekhner
12-21-2012, 11:57 AM
I have done this successfully on my EE at least 3 times (my sdcard was corrupted twice and I had to start from scratch), but every time it was somewhat more complicated than the first instructions on page 1.

From what I remember: I used the modified instructions from post #24 (see especially point 6 that might be related to your problem) and probably also did what was suggested in the discussion between ghentj and garyhgary (#51, #55, #60, and especially #62, also #73, #78)

But maybe you tried all this already ...

Gerrye
12-22-2012, 07:27 AM
I have done this successfully on my EE at least 3 times (my sdcard was corrupted twice and I had to start from scratch), but every time it was somewhat more complicated than the first instructions on page 1.

From what I remember: I used the modified instructions from post #24 (see especially point 6 that might be related to your problem) and probably also did what was suggested in the discussion between ghentj and garyhgary (#51, #55, #60, and especially #62, also #73, #78)

But maybe you tried all this already ...

Thanks for the reply. I've been through all of it at least 3 times, but I'm game to give it another try.... I'll go through your suggested posts...

Thanks again....:thanks::xmas:

fekhner
12-23-2012, 12:33 PM
As far as I remember, there is a discussion and links to posts on how to get the library back buried in the thread about allmine as well
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174641
Maybe this will give you another angle ...unfortunately when I did this is so long ago that I do not recall the detailed steps, all I can tell you is that it is definitely possible to get everything to work for the EE (apps on the sdcard, working library and google playstore access) .
Good luck !

Gerrye
12-25-2012, 04:35 PM
Thanks, I'm trying to do this on a PE, I won't have my EE down here until August... but I'll keep working at it... I'll try to take some pictures of the relevant info on the unit and maybe someone will see something wrong that I can't see. Happy holidays....

akatonbo
05-05-2013, 10:40 PM
I had to start over from scratch with my PE due to a stalling-while-booting issue, so I got to do this all over again, and was having crap luck at it. Finally decided to reread the entire thread and not just the content-heavy first couple of pages, and lo and behold I see that I had actually posted in it the last time I did this. Yeah, you guessed it, the thing I said I had to do the first time around? Finally made it work this time, too.

So, for anyone else who's tried the lengthier and/or repeated suggestions and still had no luck? Format the CRAP out of that sucker with SDFormatter -- specifically, use the Full (Overwrite) format, not the Quick format -- and then go into Minitool to add the second partition (i.e. resize the original partition to a smaller size to make room for a second one, then create the second one). Both times -- today and when I did it the first time over a year ago -- that was the trick that sweet-talked my PE into recognizing the SD card as usable. Everything else worked like a charm.

Gerrye
05-06-2013, 10:56 AM
Thanks, I had given up hope. It seems that interest in the PE is waning, but I will give it another go.... I'll keep my PEs and EE going until they drop from exhaustion....

:book2::smack::thanks:

I had to start over from scratch with my PE due to a stalling-while-booting issue, so I got to do this all over again, and was having crap luck at it. Finally decided to reread the entire thread and not just the content-heavy first couple of pages, and lo and behold I see that I had actually posted in it the last time I did this. Yeah, you guessed it, the thing I said I had to do the first time around? Finally made it work this time, too.

So, for anyone else who's tried the lengthier and/or repeated suggestions and still had no luck? Format the CRAP out of that sucker with SDFormatter -- specifically, use the Full (Overwrite) format, not the Quick format -- and then go into Minitool to add the second partition (i.e. resize the original partition to a smaller size to make room for a second one, then create the second one). Both times -- today and when I did it the first time over a year ago -- that was the trick that sweet-talked my PE into recognizing the SD card as usable. Everything else worked like a charm.

Mosqueteir0
11-25-2013, 02:37 AM
bump!

I am having the same problem with my EE. The link2sd worked to move my apps to /data/sdext2 (the second partition of my 32gig sdcard) but the first partition (22gig, fat32) won't mount.