View Full Version : Kindle Launch at Frankfurt Book Fair?

Nate the great
09-13-2007, 11:02 AM
Speculation is mounting that Amazon will unveil its long awaited "Kindle" e-book reader at the Frankfurt Book Fair. The device is reportedly equipped with a wireless modem allowing users to browse the internet without connecting directly to a computer. It is also reported to have a small keyboard allowing for internet navigation as well as a scroll wheel to help users flick through text.

Technology blog Engadget said: "From the sound of it, publishing execs are pinning quite a bit of hope on Amazon and its device, with one even going so far as to [say] that 'if these guys can't make it work, I see no hope'."

HarperCollins UK c.e.o. Victoria Barnsley is among the publishers to have seen a prototype Kindle. She told the London Book Fair in April that she had seen the Amazon reader and was "rather impressed" with the device.

An Amazon spokesman refused to comment, saying that recent reports were "rumour and speculation".

http://www.thebookseller.com/news/44990-frankfurt-launch-for-amazon-kindle.html

-----------
If anybody can make it to the book fair, GET SOME PICTURES!

Kilarney
09-13-2007, 11:07 AM
Phew. Yet another device that I won't be too jealous of. I just want a reader without all of the extra stuff - so the Sony Reader still works fine for me.

My only fear is that Mobipocket will dominate over other DRM formats. Since the Sony Reader doesn't support Mobipocket, I'm a little nervous.

Nate the great
09-13-2007, 11:16 AM
You can find more information about the Book Fair here:

http://www.frankfurt-book-fair.com/en/portal.php

NatCh
09-13-2007, 03:59 PM
So, we should know some more particulars around the 10th of October.

Anyone who's local, remember there's a karma bounty posted for the first one to get us a pic of the released Kindle! (the bounty's still good even if the release model is still fugly :wink:)

Keith Lommel
09-13-2007, 06:09 PM
The Fair opens on the 10th, but my understanding is that's only for credentialed press and people in the publishing industry, etc. The general public is not let in until the 13th. I'm happy to go on the 13th, take some pictures and check it out, but I'm guessing we'll have detailed information from elsewhere by then.

dugbug
09-13-2007, 06:32 PM
just tell me it doesn't actually look like that atari st-ish thing in the photo

-d

LOL2005
09-14-2007, 06:50 AM
http://www.liberation.fr/actualite/ecrans/278324.FR.php

The article suggests that the amazon reader will only be able to read ebooks from Amazon.

It would mean that the kindle will support a new DRM format and most probably not other DRM formats including... Mobipocket.

A bit like the Ipod (you can listen MP3 on an IPod but you only listen Itunes DRM music on the Ipod)

NatCh
09-14-2007, 10:05 AM
Welcome to MobileRead, LOL2005! :hatsoff:

I'm thinking that the Kindle will probably support Mobipocket format, seeing as Amazon owns Mobipocket. :wink:

I mean, why would they go create yet another format when they already own a perfectly good one (from their perspective, guys)?

If you've got something that suggests otherwise, however, we'd love to hear it. :yes:

NatCh
09-14-2007, 10:11 AM
The passage on Kindle from the Libération (http://www.liberation.fr/actualite/ecrans/278324.FR.php) article, in proper Eng-babel-glish:

The giant commercial in Amazon line arrives, him, in mid-October with Kindle, a portable, black and white reader. The rumour and a stereotype of the thing, very ugly, had run the Web for at least a year. But launching is imminent according to new York Times's. The machine of Amazon will cost between 400 and 500 dollars, will be connected to Internet by wi-fi, but will download books only on the site of Amazon. And of the newspapers, since a numerical kiosk is in preparation, to which take part the Echoes but also the World, new York Times or Wall Street Journal.

Interesting that they seem to think it will be WiFi .... :chinscratch:

If someone wanted to do a real translation of the passage, it'd be appreciated. :nice:

Hadrien
09-14-2007, 10:26 AM
The passage on Kindle from the Libération (http://www.liberation.fr/actualite/ecrans/278324.FR.php) article, in proper Eng-babel-glish:

Interesting that they seem to think it will be WiFi .... :chinscratch:

If someone wanted to do a real translation of the passage, it'd be appreciated. :nice:

The only interesting part is that it will use WiFi and that Amazon.com will be the only place where you can download books for it. A few newspaper will also be available for it: The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal in the US, Le Monde and Les Echos in France.

Liviu_5
09-14-2007, 10:29 AM

The translation above is quite good as it happens. The whole article is a big rehash about ebooks and devices, Cybook (they pioneered the ebooks :) according to the article - maybe just a coincidence that the company is French - no mention of Gemstar and ETI though), Sony, and Amazon, they even mention Google's announced full access thing.

Alexander Turcic
10-03-2007, 08:51 AM
The Frankfurt Bookfair is from October 10-14: http://www.buchmesse.de/de/portal.php

I am seriously thinking of visiting the exhibit, especially with the current rumors that Amazon will unveil the Kindle there. I'd be there on Saturday, October 13th.

Is anyone else going?

CommanderROR
10-03-2007, 09:02 AM
unfortunately work will get in the way...as a musician you have to work when others relax...which means weekends are seldom free...

Alexander Turcic
10-03-2007, 09:04 AM
unfortunately work will get in the way...as a musician you have to work when others relax...which means weekends are seldom free...

I originally planned to go on Wednesday, which is restricted to the "Fachpresse"; but my girlfriend is having school and I would hate a trip to Germany without her ;)

Keith Lommel
10-03-2007, 09:20 AM
I'll be there on the 13th.

Alexander Turcic
10-03-2007, 09:23 AM
Heh, if we can fix on a day (13th would also be my favorite), we should perhaps get together for a small meet-up ;)

wallcraft
10-06-2007, 09:47 PM
The new iRex blog has a piece on the Frankfurt Book Fair (http://i-to-i.irexnet.com/2007/10/05/the-frankfurt-book-fair/) which mentions the following 30 minute presentation at 1300 on the 12th: The future of books: digital text at Amazon (https://e.book-fair.com/show_event.aspx?EventID=a6ea6930-6789-449b-bcf5-ebfe6298ab81) as a possible release venue for the Kindle. However, there is a similar presentation (https://e.book-fair.com/show_event.aspx?Eve.ntID=57e98c0a-3b07-4e73-a60a-e2ec65af2e12) at 1345 on the 10th. My betting would be for a release announcement (if any) on the 10th for the press.

Keith Lommel
10-08-2007, 06:40 PM
Yes, by all means, let's try to get any interested people to meet up at the show. So far it looks like just you and me, Alexander. That being the case, I'd say that the 13th looks unanimous. :grin2: What time do you plan on arriving?

vivaldirules
10-09-2007, 02:28 PM
Good luck, Alex and Keith! I hope you both have a great time and can bring us back boat loads of cool info about Amazon's Kindle and other new things from the Book Fair. I think we're all pretty anxious to hear something. :)

vivaldirules
10-10-2007, 08:14 AM
Okay, Amazon. The floor is yours. Must be 1 pm in Frankfurt. Bring it on!

Hadrien
10-10-2007, 09:36 AM
Okay, Amazon. The floor is yours. Must be 1 pm in Frankfurt. Bring it on!

Should be finished now...

HarryT
10-10-2007, 10:03 AM
Sorry - what are we expecting is going to happen?

vivaldirules
10-10-2007, 10:08 AM
Amazon's presentation, presumably to officially announce the Kindle and their ebook offerings, was scheduled to have finished an hour or so ago. Hopefully, we'll hear some useful facts instead of having to rely on speculation.

igorsk
10-10-2007, 10:08 AM
It already happened.
https://e.book-fair.com/show_event.aspx?EventID=57e98c0a-3b07-4e73-a60a-e2ec65af2e12
Now we wait for the reports.

Nate the great
10-10-2007, 02:58 PM
I have seven news sources open, and there is no hint of the Kindle. I don't think the Kindle launch happened today.

Amazon has another event scheduled for Friday.
https://e.book-fair.com/show_event.aspx?EventID=a6ea6930-6789-449b-bcf5-ebfe6298ab81

vivaldirules
10-10-2007, 03:04 PM
Same here. I've been scouring for any sign of info - or lack of it. Nothing.

guguy
10-10-2007, 03:44 PM
Maybe amazon asked the press not to release the news before public
announcement ?

NatCh
10-10-2007, 03:47 PM
Maybe amazon asked the press not to release the news before public announcement ?If they gave a presentation about it at the book fair, I'd kinda consider that to be a public announcement. :wink2:

Short of NDAing everyone in the presentation, and anyone who happened to walk by, they really couldn't make a hush request work anyway.

vivaldirules
10-10-2007, 03:52 PM
Maybe amazon asked the press not to release the news before public
announcement ?

My impression was that this was a much anticipated event. Bloggers (e.g., on TheBookseller.com) seemed to confirm it. But I find nothing there or at engadget, news vendors, etc. Not even a report like "it didn't happen today." I'm puzzled.

NatCh
10-10-2007, 04:01 PM
I suppose they could all still be writing it up ... but I'd've expected some sort of word to show up somewhere if it had popped loose.

Wait, has anyone checked Amazon yet? :smack: If they did announce, surely there would be something there.

Be right back ....

Dave Berk
10-10-2007, 04:02 PM
How do we know they are going to announce it at the fair?

Myself I have a very weird suspicion that Amazon are about to kill the ebook reader market with an ugly looking reader, no publicity at all and locking the device to a specific format (azw) that nobody heard about. After that they will be able to say: See I told you that ebook thing won't catch. Now we can go back to selling real books!!!

....Or maybe my brain is dying starvation and lack of info on the kindle.

Nate the great
I suppose they could all still be writing it up ... but I'd've expected some sort of word to show up somewhere if it had popped loose.

Wait, has anyone checked Amazon yet? :smack: If they did announce, surely there would be something there.

Be right back ....

I am keeping an eye on Amazon. Nothing new yet.

NatCh
Nope, nothing on the homepage, nothing at amazon.com/kindle. :sad:

vivaldirules
10-10-2007, 04:11 PM
Myself I have a very weird suspicion that Amazon are about to kill the ebook reader market with an ugly looking reader, no publicity at all and locking the device to a specific format (azw) that nobody heard about. After that they will be able to say: See I told you that ebook thing won't catch. Now we can go back to selling real books!!!

Wow. That's waaaay too cynical for me. I would hope you're quite wrong. But, hope is sometimes not worth much. Let's hope they just talked today about concepts and nebulous stuff at the book fair and will announce something substantial later. :tired:

Nate the great
10-10-2007, 04:12 PM
How do we know they are going to announce it at the fair?

....Or maybe my brain is dying starvation and lack of info on the kindle.

Two points:

Many titles they currently sell as e-documents can be found in the Google cache as also being offered in "Kindle edition".

Amazon is actually scheduled to do two presentations. The one today sounded like an industry presentation targeted at publishers. The one on Friday is described:

This presentation will introduce you to Amazon’s current digital offerings and latest developments and show you how you can work with Amazon to increase the exposure and sale of your books.

NatCh
10-10-2007, 04:26 PM
I agree that the second one sounds the more promising. Besides, I'm not sure they'd want to drop that bomb on day one (is it day 1?) of the fair ....

vivaldirules
10-10-2007, 04:39 PM
Yes, today is day one (night one now). It runs through Sunday.

Dave Berk
10-10-2007, 04:40 PM
I have really high hopes regarding the Kindle. I have sold my prs-500 because it of the hassle that was getting books to the reader. I'm meh about the new prs-505, (expected much more) and the Cybook that could easily have gotten my vote (html!!!! support) - lost it after I read what Derek went through. So the Kindle is really it for me, or so I hope.

Alexander Turcic
10-10-2007, 04:42 PM
Yes, by all means, let's try to get any interested people to meet up at the show. So far it looks like just you and me, Alexander. That being the case, I'd say that the 13th looks unanimous. :grin2: What time do you plan on arriving?

I think I'll be there around 10-11am ;)

vivaldirules
10-10-2007, 04:45 PM
Curious that Alex and Keith chose Saturday to attend. Curious and perhaps marvelous! :)

Alexander Turcic
10-10-2007, 04:57 PM
Curious that Alex and Keith chose Saturday to attend. Curious and perhaps marvelous! :)

Pure convenience ;) I had to drive 500km today to get to Frankfurt, and I'll spend the next days there. The Book Fair will not be open to the general public before Saturday. Although I've been told that with our special interest in e-books we'd qualify as "trade visitors with credentials" which would allow us to also attend during the press days.

vivaldirules
10-10-2007, 05:03 PM
Excellent. Enjoy! :)

Nate the great
10-10-2007, 05:05 PM
Pure convenience ;) I had to drive 500km today to get to Frankfurt, and I'll spend the next days there. The Book Fair will not be open to the general public before Saturday. Although I've been told that with our special interest in e-books we'd qualify as "trade visitors with credentials" which would allow us to also attend during the press days.

Really? I wish you had told me. I could have arranged to be in Frankfurt on Thursday (and possibly Friday).

Alexander Turcic
10-10-2007, 05:13 PM
I wasn't 100% sure if I could even come on Saturday due to a mix up in my schedule. Well, and tomorrow I've a dentist appointment ... anything bad could happen then...

Nate, would you've come straight from Virginia?

Hadrien
10-10-2007, 05:14 PM
we have members from all around the world on this forum, maybe we could have a special thread about those book fairs ?
Calendar: http://www.book-fair.com/en/index.php?content=/en/internationale_aktivitaeten/tlp.html

I'll be at the "Salon du livre" in March for example.

igorsk
10-10-2007, 05:41 PM
No news from Frankfurt, but I found the page of Amazon's Digital Media Technology group. They list their projects, some of which I didn't know about.
http://media-server.amazon.com/jobs/jobs.html

yvanleterrible
10-10-2007, 06:10 PM
No news from Frankfurt, but I found the page of Amazon's Digital Media Technology group. They list their projects, some of which I didn't know about.

Good find igorsk! The word 'magazine' somewhere in there caught my eye and my attention. That will be nice...

Hadrien
10-10-2007, 06:16 PM

Interesting indeed:

e-Books & Documents

Waiting for the postman is so 20th century. Our e-Books and e-Docs stores are thriving and you can take a large role in helping us grow our offerings and improve the customer experience.

Our selection of e-books and e-documents continues to grow, so Amazon customers are able to find and download an even wider selection of best-selling books and unique content on an increasingly diverse range of topics. Customers get access to these digital goods immediately through their digital locker after purchase.

Amazon Shorts

Amazon Shorts is an entirely new way for customers to enjoy their favorite authors and to sample the work of new authors through exclusive short-form literature, for 49 cents each. Customers can find Amazon Shorts from accomplished authors in a diverse array of genres and formats, including alternate chapters and scenes to well-known stories, personal memoirs about everything from food poisoning to contact lenses to potty training, one-act plays, and, of course, classic short stories. Amazon Shorts have no printed editions and are only delivered digitally.

But I hate that one:

What kind of person would thrive in MediaTech?

They would be interested in the challenges of...

[...]Producing digital rights management and security that works for the customer and for Amazon.com

NatCh
10-10-2007, 06:29 PM
Well, at least they nominally want something that also works for the customer! :laugh4:

Nate the great
10-10-2007, 07:11 PM
I wasn't 100% sure if I could even come on Saturday due to a mix up in my schedule. Well, and tomorrow I've a dentist appointment ... anything bad could happen then...

Nate, would you've come straight from Virginia?

I could have done it. I'm somewhat glad I didn't know about the trade access; there are better ways for me to spend my money.

CommanderROR
10-10-2007, 08:29 PM
Wasn't the Kindle launch planned for the 15th of October?

I'm really starting to wonder why the launch of the Kindle is such a...quiet...affair...

guguy
10-10-2007, 08:37 PM
According to this article : http://www.cluster21.com/blog/malo21tv/conference_amazon_a_la_foire_de_francfort_2007

The journalist asked what was amazon planning for ebook readers and the answer
was "i don't comment on rumors".

JSWolf
10-10-2007, 09:03 PM
According to this article : http://www.cluster21.com/blog/malo21tv/conference_amazon_a_la_foire_de_francfort_2007

The journalist asked what was amazon planning for ebook readers and the answer
was "i don't comment on rumors".
The jouralist then should have asked "What about Kindel Edition listed on Amazon.com?" That is not a roumer. It's a fact that it was on the site with some books.

HarryT
10-11-2007, 03:12 AM
Amazon's presentation, presumably to officially announce the Kindle and their ebook offerings, was scheduled to have finished an hour or so ago. Hopefully, we'll hear some useful facts instead of having to rely on speculation.

I thought that the rumoured launch date was the 15th, wasn't it, not yesterday?

vivaldirules
10-11-2007, 10:14 AM
I thought that the rumoured launch date was the 15th, wasn't it, not yesterday?

Yes, that's the rumor from engadget. But the Frankfurt Book Fair is the largest in the world and Amazon is giving two talks - one yesterday and one Saturday. It made sense to me that they would lead the public announcement (maybe even initial sales) with presentation to the publishing world a couple of days in advance. I think I was overly anxious in assuming it would be yesterday. Sorry. :o

My hopes are still that they'll present good, relevant information on Saturday and that Alex and Keith will be there to hear it. :)

Either that or it's been released already and hidden in that damned table lamp thing I keep getting when I search Amazon for 'Kindle'. I'm morally certain that that lamp shade is a large screen backlit eink display! ;)

HarryT
10-11-2007, 10:19 AM
Let's hope that you're right :).

Alexander Turcic
10-11-2007, 12:59 PM
Yes, that's the rumor from engadget.:)

It first came from a French newspaper: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13756

Let's hope you're right and Amazon will spill the beans this Saturday! :D

Btw, I'll definitely be at the book fair tomorrow (Friday). I won't make it for Saturday because I have to be back in Switzerland by then. :(

vivaldirules
10-11-2007, 04:26 PM
Finally, a word from the Frankfurt Book Fair: "Amazon and Sony were expected to steal the show this Frankfurt with their eBook readers, but they are instead conspiquous in their absence." From: http://www.thebookseller.com/blogs/46385-frankfurt-ebook-20-fails-to-arrive.html

vivaldirules
10-11-2007, 04:40 PM
From the same blogger, different site: "Perhaps Amazon spread rumours of a possible launch to see if there was real interest, well if the level of conversation we've heard is anything to go by, the eBook reader is in demand."

He also suggests that Wiley may be interested in getting big into ebooks.

Alisa
10-11-2007, 05:17 PM
"I was particularly interested in a conversation I had with sceintific, technical and medical publisher WIley, where it hinted that it and other specialists may get involved in driving the adoption of eBooks.

Could we see the eBook reader adopt a similar model to the mobile phone where users sign up to a subscription service, content of a particular kind in this case, and in return they get a sleek and sexy device? It's certainly worked for the mobile industry, which now resembles the car world with its emphasis on styling and marketing." (from http://www.thebookseller.com/blogs/46385-frankfurt-ebook-20-fails-to-arrive.html )

This comment brings O'Reilly to my mind with their Safari service. http://safari.oreilly.com/ It's a library service for technical books. I would love to have something like this combined with a good reader device. Well, that is as long as it had a good search function which sadly is missing from most current offerings. I have a backbreaking number of O'Reilly books that I cart back and forth between job and home depending on what projects either my husband or I are working on. They take up a lot of real estate & paper. The information becomes outdated quickly. I'm constantly needing new ones. I often want them immediately. This is a niche that is prime for ebooks and a good reading device. You can get electronic copies of a lot of technical books but often people end up printing out chapters to avoid eye strain when they'd prefer to leave them electronic and searchable. It feels so silly having the text on the screen to search and then flipping to the dead tree page in your hand. It shouldn't have to be that way. At home we probably have an entire bookcase or two full of books like this (most from O'Reilly) that I would love to have on a sleek, portable reader rather than taking up precious square footage in my house.

Nate the great
10-12-2007, 12:19 PM
It's now (I think) 5pm in Frankfurt. I have the blogs of two attendees open; neither has mentioned the Kindle. I don't think the Kindle was launched today.

http://www.book-fair.com/en/index.php?content=https%3a%2f%2fe.book-fair.com%2fframeset.aspx%3furl%3d%2fsimple_startpa ge.aspx%26setCulture%3den-GB

igorsk
10-12-2007, 12:31 PM
Isn't the other Amazon presentation tomorrow?

Nate the great
10-12-2007, 01:20 PM
Isn't the other Amazon presentation tomorrow?

Nope. It was today.

NatCh
10-12-2007, 02:02 PM
Nope. It was today.That international date line thing always throws me -- I can never remember which way it goes. :shrug:

bowerbird
10-12-2007, 03:01 PM
well, i suppose we can go through this whole exercise again on monday...

-bowerbird

Alexander Turcic
10-12-2007, 03:10 PM
well, i suppose we can go through this whole exercise again on monday...

-bowerbird

I share your pain. :ranting:

bowerbird
10-15-2007, 03:55 PM
well, it's monday, october 15th.

so, do we have the kindle?

or do we have rumors and speculation?

-bowerbird

NatCh
10-15-2007, 05:56 PM
I think the technical term for what we got is "bupkiss."