View Full Version : Amazon Kindle likely launch date: October 15!

Alexander Turcic
09-12-2007, 08:13 PM
We got our crystal ball out of its magic cupboard to tell you that October 15 may mark a very special day. Last week the New York Times reported (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13532) that October will be the month when Amazon is going to unveil its Kindle e-book reader (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=140). And today we discovered this interesting little snippet while reading about the just launched (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13753) Les Echos e-paper:

Amazon doit d'ailleurs ouvrir son propre kiosque "e-paper" le 15 octobre aux Etats-Unis, et Les Echos seront également disponibles sur cette plateforme.

Link: Les Echos article (http://www.lesechos.fr/info/hightec/300200868.htm)

In perfect Babelfish English:

Amazon must open besides its own kiosk "e-paper" on October 15 in the United States, and the Echoes will be also available on this platform.

Wow. Amazon is going to launch its own e-paper store hosting e-paper newspapers? Could there be a better time to celebrate the launch of a new wireless e-book reader...?

Related: NY Times new article on ebooks / Amazon Kindle (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13521)

Nate the great
09-12-2007, 08:20 PM
Did you scoop Engadget again? :)

Alexander Turcic
09-12-2007, 08:33 PM
Did you scoop Engadget again? :)

Never tried to. They are just too fast. Most of the time. :D

Hadrien
09-12-2007, 08:50 PM
Le Monde, another famous french newspaper should be available on the Kindle too. For those who thought that the Kindle would be a US-only thing: guess it'll be available in France too (Europe?).

THJahar
09-12-2007, 09:58 PM
ack...kindle and V3 with wacom coming out in October...oooh decisions decisions

Nate the great
09-12-2007, 10:07 PM
ack...kindle and V3 with wacom coming out in October...oooh decisions decisions

I know what you mean. I consider it my misfortune that the shipping delay on the Iliad pushed the date back far enough that I had to seriously consider the V3. Now I have to think about the Kindle as well.

Oh well, might as well get them both. :grin2:

Azayzel
09-12-2007, 11:34 PM
Yet no updated pics on the formfactor yet... I do hope it doesn't look like the early prototype; i.e., all that wasted space for a book, yikes!

Good score on finding this article! :thumbsup:

Interesting Side Note: Just noticed something interesting in Alex's info, his karma's about to excede his number of posts. Not a big deal for people with low posts vs. quality, but we're talking 7,000+, wow!

TadW
09-13-2007, 04:48 AM
Hmmm... what's more interesting... the fact that Amazon might launch the Kindle on October 15, or that Amazon is going to launch an e-book "kiosk" on that day?

What do you guys make of an e-book kiosk? Something like Mobipocket Reloaded?

Jorgen
09-13-2007, 05:50 AM
So, it will cost $400-$500, the design is awful and it will run Mobipocket - something I for one stay far away from. Doesn't sound like a winner.

joblack
09-13-2007, 08:55 AM
looks cheap ...

yvanleterrible
09-13-2007, 09:08 AM
Since Amazon has had time after reading all criticism aroud, I wonder what will be left in the final design and what it will look like. Have they gone colo(u)r and kept wireless?

Nate the great
09-13-2007, 09:22 AM
I bet that shape is the final design. I really like it. I liked it as soon as I saw it in the user manual that's floating around here. I admit that it looks ugly lying there, but once you see it from multiple angles it will grow on you.

HarryT
09-13-2007, 09:27 AM
I know what you mean. I consider it my misfortune that the shipping delay on the Iliad pushed the date back far enough that I had to seriously consider the V3. Now I have to think about the Kindle as well.

Oh well, might as well get them both. :grin2:

The iLiad's been shipping for what? A year now? If you want one I'd say "go for it". IMHO it's the most capable of the current eBook readers, albeit also the most expensive.

Nate the great
09-13-2007, 09:46 AM
The iLiad's been shipping for what? A year now? If you want one I'd say "go for it". IMHO it's the most capable of the current eBook readers, albeit also the most expensive.

HarryT, Irex has not shipped any Iliads since the first of September. They sold out of the previous production run and are just today starting to ship the next ones. The soonest I could get my sweaty hands on one is next Friday. That would have been nearly a 3 week delay if I had bought one as soon as I could afford it. I don't like to wait for my gadgets so I didn't buy one.

While waiting for an Iliad, I hear that the V3 with Wacom and Wifi will be available in October. I can get it for around $400. Which one will I like better? I have to wait and see.

By the way, when I said get both, I meant the V3 and the Kindle.

vivaldirules
09-15-2007, 01:01 PM
Whether the hardware is cool or crappy, I'm really just hopeful this event is pivotal in leading us somewhere useful - where most publishers are comfortable seeing most of their books sold as ebooks. If Amazon is the vendor that catalyzes that (and it makes sense to me that they might be) then terrific. If customers like us aren't entirely happy with their reader at first is less of a concern to me right now. A great reader with almost no available content is of little interest to hardly anyone, I'm sure.

CommanderROR
09-15-2007, 07:16 PM
I actually think a lot hinges on Amazon bringing lots of content for the Kindle. If they can supply bestsellers and longtail in sufficient numbers right from the start and with attractive prices, then they have a winner on their hands. If they fail on one of those fronts, then I guess even the prettiest design won't save the Kindle.
I actually hope they are going to go with mobipocket format because I have grown attached to it. It actually made me turn back to the Iliad since it's just so comfortable to throw a HTML or TXT or whatever file at the mobipocket reader and have it transformed in no time at all into something that I can then read on my Iliad...and it looks fine too with all the important bits kept intact.

Something I wonder about for the Kindle...will they make it a proper book and give it near-endless battery life or will they make an "eink tablet PC" or something like that out of it? The WiFi and stuff make me fear the latter...let's hope I'm wrong...I'm still annoyed that the wonderful potential of the Iliad is damaged so much by the meagre battery life and the long booting times... :(

wgrimm
09-18-2007, 07:45 AM
So, it will cost $400-$500, the design is awful and it will run Mobipocket - something I for one stay far away from. Doesn't sound like a winner.

I agree. When Amazon decided to jump into the ebook market with M$ in the mid 90s, I bought $200 worth of their offerings. Had real problems with using, especially displaying on mobile devices, because the M$ Reader wasn't very good.

Anyways, tried to return the stuff, and was told that I could not. So- not only was the material DRM'd, but there was no return or exchange policy. So, I stopped buying from Amazon.com......My book money now goes to local booksellers or other online sellers.

Extrapolating from the dealings that I had with Amazon, my guess is that there will be many unhappy Kindle customers.

HarryT
09-18-2007, 08:13 AM
I'm still annoyed that the wonderful potential of the Iliad is damaged so much by the meagre battery life and the long booting times... :(

Do you really consider the battery life of the iLiad to be "meagre"? I can read on my iLiad all day long, or for an entire transatlantic flight, without a recharge. For me, that's all that I ask. I certainly can't do that on any Tablet or Notebook PC.

When I want to read I simply switch my iLiad on, and my the time I've arranged myself comfortably in my chair, it's booted. It's only - what? - 45 seconds? That's really not very long, even in today's "must have it NOW" society :).

yvanleterrible
09-18-2007, 09:06 AM
@ Harry

Out of curiosity, on the Iliad have you other uses than reading that helped justify the steep acquisition investment? Sometimes I think that drawing would do it for me but I don't do it frequently enough to warrant getting one.

HarryT
09-18-2007, 09:40 AM
To be honest, Yvan, I bought an iLiad for no other reason than that it appealed to me as a "gadget". I certainly couldn't justify it economically. The 8" screen is much nicer to read on than the Reader's 6" screen, but is it worth double the price? The sensible answer is that no, it isn't, but it's still a great machine and for me personally, the pleasure I get from it makes the price worth paying.

I am fortunate enough to be both single, and in a job that pays well enough that I can occasionally afford to "splash out" on something like the iLiad just because it appeals.

nekokami
09-18-2007, 10:51 AM
yvan, I love my iLiad, but it currently wouldn't be a good drawing tool. The only application that really supports freehand entry is Notes, and it's doing some kind of compression as each page is saved so that you lose resolution. Also, though the Wacom tablet should support pressure sensitivity, no software for the iLiad recognizes the input. (It's been on iRex's "to do" list for over a year.)

I think these are both software problems. I've been trying to find a decent lightweight sketch program that someone might port to the iLiad, and I've been hoping that the community development calibration team might work on pressure sensitivity next.

Regarding the Kindle, I'm hoping that Amazon doesn't limit their ebook sales to Kindle customers, but just uses this as a springboard to launch into full-scale ebook sales. Mobipocket format would be fine for now, though of course I'm still hoping that the DRM features will eventually fade from use. I'm rather curious about the keyboard, and wondering if one would be able, for example, to IM or subscribe and reply to a blog using this thing. That could make it pretty popular, even without broader functionality (e.g. PDA). I agree with everyone that content is King-- but I think these days blog content is vying for position of Empress. ;)

yvanleterrible
09-18-2007, 11:54 AM
Thanks for that honest reply Harry. I think gadgeting is a serious enough reason to splurge, I've done it enough in the past! :laugh4:

@neko
You point to something else here but in the same vein. The original price set for the Kindle device of $50 was an attempt to frame customers in a captive market but the latest revisions in the order of $400-$500 might signify a larger array of choices for customers. Maybe what you are suggesting lies somewhere in there. :shrug:

NatCh
09-18-2007, 12:19 PM
I wouldn't expect Mobipocket.com to shut down non-Kindle sales just because the Kindle Launches ....

nekokami
09-18-2007, 12:34 PM
I wouldn't expect Mobipocket.com to shut down non-Kindle sales just because the Kindle Launches ....
No, neither would I... but we don't know yet that the Kindle will use Mobipocket. If Amazon is especially stupid, they'll create some new format (maybe a modified Mobi) that will run only on the Kindle, and only fight to get additional content into that new format. :(

It all depends on whether they want to sell hardware or content. Personally, I have a hard time understanding why they jumped into the hardware market, with so many less expensive readers already out there. Whether it's the EVDO connection or something to do with the way they want to use the keyboard, it had better be a huge usability improvement over existing models.

Should we start a betting pool about what color the case will actually be? I'm thinking black -- that would go a long way toward losing the "retro 80's" look.

JSWolf
09-18-2007, 12:38 PM
I would say that I think the message about limiting sale meant that if Amazon put ebooks up on their site that they would maybe limit them to Kindle users. Not that MobiPocket would limit sales. But even if MobiPocket did go Kindle only, no loss. We still have PaperbackDigital (cheapest), BooksOnBoard (second cheapest), & Fictionwise (sell multiformat non-DRM including LRF). So we are not out of luck. In fact, if I was to purchase Mobi format, I would not go to MobiPocket as they are the most expensive.

NatCh
09-18-2007, 12:41 PM
If Amazon is especially stupid, they'll create some new format (maybe a modified Mobi) that will run only on the Kindle, and only fight to get additional content into that new format. :(I agree: that would be exceptionally stupid, even for a corp.

I ... just don't see that happening. I could be wrong, I freely admit, but if I am, I'll be (unpleasantly) surprised.

The hardware question is a good one, I suspect they might view it as a way to keep their customers "theirs" -- they wouldn't be the first to try it. :shrug:

If they have a seamless enough model that folks get in pretty deep before they feel the teeth, they might manage to do it. I think that iPods have largely anesthetized a lot of folks to that sort of hazard. :shrug:

nekokami
09-18-2007, 12:46 PM
The hardware question is a good one, I suspect they might view it as a way to keep their customers "theirs" -- they wouldn't be the first to try it. :shrug:
It's just that a rebranded Bookeen model would probably have done as well. As I said, there's going to need to be a huge usability advantage to their EVDO and keyboard combination (if that's what it will really have) in order to convince people to pay the extra.

NatCh
09-18-2007, 01:03 PM
Well, there's also the factor that relatively few folks have heard of bookeen, et. al., but most of mankind has heard of Amazon. They may believe they can parlay that name recognition into a total bootstrapping of the e-book industry for the common man. :shrug:

The Kindle as we suspect it to be, does bear some functionality resemblance to the iPod, after all.

VillageReader
09-18-2007, 01:05 PM
Hmmm... what's more interesting... the fact that Amazon might launch the Kindle on October 15, or that Amazon is going to launch an e-book "kiosk" on that day?

What do you guys make of an e-book kiosk? Something like Mobipocket Reloaded?

Probably. My guess is just like other e-tailers (J&R out of NYC comes to mind as one that lists products at Amazon without paying for a 'partner' banner at the bottom of the page), you will be able to get to Mobipocket either direct via their own web site or via Amazon. Surprised in a way that this didn't happen earlier, unless they didn't want to dilute the Kindle splash.

NatCh
09-18-2007, 01:09 PM
I wonder if the recent MobiPocket shut-down might have been complicated by efforts toward gearing up for integrating it into Amazon proper. :chinscratch:

jasonkchapman
09-18-2007, 01:20 PM
I wonder if the recent MobiPocket shut-down might have been complicated by efforts toward gearing up for integrating it into Amazon proper. :chinscratch:
That would make sense, since Amazon is likely to want to use their own datacenters for DRM servers. Amazon's infrastructure is amazing.

RalphTrickey
09-18-2007, 02:32 PM
It all depends on whether they want to sell hardware or content. Personally, I have a hard time understanding why they jumped into the hardware market, with so many less expensive readers already out there. Whether it's the EVDO connection or something to do with the way they want to use the keyboard, it had better be a huge usability improvement over existing models.

The potential is there. They can absolutlely lock down an ebook to one reader, attracting authors/publishers, offer subscription/rental models, and a lot of other things with EVDO. It also should be usable by a lot of people that don't understand or use computers. Combine that with the possiblity of adjusting the font size, and you've got a device that might be attractive to the 'Gray Panthers.'

Ralph

Liviu_5
09-18-2007, 04:31 PM
The potential is there. They can absolutlely lock down an ebook to one reader, attracting authors/publishers, offer subscription/rental models, and a lot of other things with EVDO.

Ralph

Sony tried this with Librie, failed miserably, learned the lesson. Gemstar tried this with the original Ebk1150, went out of business (at least the e-book one).

Locking the reader is not going to work, because either (most probably) it will fail or if it's cool like the iPhone it will get cracked soon.

I am really eager for the details of the Kindle since right now we only know rumors...

CommanderROR
09-19-2007, 09:39 AM
@HarryT

Sorry for the late reply...

I do consider the Iliad's battery life to be extremely weak and the boot imtes to be too long.
This is due to the way I read. I'm not somebody who commutes regularly or spends lots of time in aeroplanes where there is nothing else to do but reading...

I like to pick up a book when I have a few minutes somehwere, read a few pages and then put it away again. This simply does not work with the Iliad because if I leave it on after reading during breakfast it'll be down to almost half battery by the time I pick it up for some afternoon reading. If you read for a few minutes while visiting the bathroom you simply don't want to wait for the device to start and the book to load.
I did not realize this at first, but after I while I found that my reading "throughput" (amount of books read in a certain time) went down considerably when I was using the Iliad and went up again quite a bit when I used the STAReBOOK.
I'm not going to start a vendette against the Iliad (again) now, but I still greatly regret it's shortcomings in these respects...

Now, back to topic!

HarryT
09-19-2007, 10:34 AM
I like to pick up a book when I have a few minutes somehwere, read a few pages and then put it away again. This simply does not work with the Iliad because if I leave it on after reading during breakfast it'll be down to almost half battery by the time I pick it up for some afternoon reading. If you read for a few minutes while visiting the bathroom you simply don't want to wait for the device to start and the book to load.

Yes, I completely agree with you that, if that's the way you read, the iLiad is not an ideal choice. I generally read in quite long sessions, and for that, it's ideal. I probably read on average for 2-3 hours a day, and have to recharge mine perhaps once every 3 or 4 days. For me, it's the perfect reader.

NatCh
09-19-2007, 11:14 AM
Which perfectly highlights the need for the availability of various types of readers. :yes:

nekokami
09-19-2007, 04:15 PM
Right. I knew about this aspect of the iLiad before I bought mine, thanks to the folks on this forum :) and my reading style is more like HarryT's, so it works for me. But I also use my iLiad as a general-purpose notebook, and I can't use it to take casual notes, which I do find annoying. (I'm a lot more likely to want to write something down in a couple of spare moments than read anything.)

brecklundin
09-25-2007, 12:26 AM
@HarryT
...If you read for a few minutes while visiting the bathroom you simply don't want to wait for the device to start and the book to load...

THAT is a mission critical feature for sure...seriously I mean that...hehehehe...the "reading room" must be supported!

cstross
09-27-2007, 08:18 AM
(Coming to this late, but ...)

I have been informed via my editor at Ace that Amazon is having a major ebook push in October. This has fed back into requests for hitherto unavailable titles (in ebook format, at least), and two of my books that Ace's ebook people were sitting on the rights to are now in the process of being converted into ebook format as part of their response to Amazon.

This is just one data point, but it strongly supports the speculation that Amazon are going to shovel out a whole lot of original content on or around October 15th, which in turn supports the possibility that the Kindle is likely to launch around then.

As it happens (by sheer coincidence :) I have a speaking engagement at Amazon HQ in Seattle on October 9th. If I get the chance I'll do some digging and see what I can learn (and see if it's possible to get my hands on a Kindle -- it's a long shot, but you never know).

Xenophon
09-27-2007, 08:57 AM
As it happens (by sheer coincidence :) I have a speaking engagement at Amazon HQ in Seattle on October 9th. If I get the chance I'll do some digging and see what I can learn (and see if it's possible to get my hands on a Kindle -- it's a long shot, but you never know).

Charlie -- Remind them of the results of Baen's experience with ebooks, pricing, and DRM. Please? It need not be a major portion of your talk, but it couldn't hurt in terms of spreading commercial sanity, eh?

Xenophon

yvanleterrible
09-27-2007, 09:04 AM
Charlie -- Remind them of the results of Baen's experience with ebooks, pricing, and DRM. Please? It need not be a major portion of your talk, but it couldn't hurt in terms of spreading commercial sanity, eh?

Xenophon

It's a little late for that. A launch like that has to be set in concrete months ahead. Their planners know their market, their lives are set on it. No way of changing their views than voting with your dollars.:rolleyes:

nekokami
09-27-2007, 09:53 AM
Great news, cstross!
It's a little late for that. A launch like that has to be set in concrete months ahead. Their planners know their market, their lives are set on it. No way of changing their views than voting with your dollars.
Oh, I don't know. Planting the seed of reason can help, if they do go with some silly DRM and then sales aren't what they'd like them to be.

But I'm slightly encouraged by their recent adventures in MP3 music.

NatCh
09-27-2007, 11:20 AM
What marvelous news, cstross! That's extremely exciting and encouraging! :yes:

If I get the chance I'll do some digging and see what I can learn (and see if it's possible to get my hands on a Kindle -- it's a long shot, but you never know).All I have to say about that is take a ruddy camera with you! Even if it's just the one in your cell phone!

Remember we have a karma bounty out for the first pic of the real live Kindle.

At this stage, I think we'd settle for a sketch from memory, or even just a comment about whether it looks like the Fugly prototype or not! :grin:

cstross
09-27-2007, 02:30 PM
I'm there to give a reading, not sneak around the Secret Labs!

Having said that, obviously if I learn anything that I can pass on in public, I will do so. Less obviously, I'm carrying a cameraless phone at present because the phone that has one (a Nokia E90) is in the shop for repair.

NatCh
09-27-2007, 02:47 PM
So they've got 11 whole days to get your phone back to you. :grin:

You never know what you might happen to stroll past in a hallway ... especially if you happen to get 'lost' looking for the bathroom. :grin2:

yvanleterrible
09-27-2007, 02:51 PM
You can get minidigital lowres thingies for $14.00 a pop that clip to a keychain.
Or you could bribe someone with Karma! :grin:

C'mon let loose the journalist in you!

Anyone have a spare invisibility cloak?

jasonkchapman
09-27-2007, 04:31 PM
You never know what you might happen to stroll past in a hallway ... especially if you happen to get 'lost' looking for the bathroom. :grin2:

Somebody's read too many thrillers, methinks.

NatCh
09-27-2007, 04:47 PM
Actually, that comment was most directly inspired by a recent Dark Angel rerun. :grin:

nekokami
09-30-2007, 11:09 PM
I don't want Charlie to get in trouble sneaking around the hallways at Amazon. He's got too many books (and blog entries) left to write. :D

But if you can convince them to show you the Kindle, informally, perhaps, go for it!

CommanderROR
10-01-2007, 04:45 PM
I guess they'll do an official unveiling IF they plan to release it anytime soon.
I sent a mail to amazon.de, but (very unusually for amazon) they did not reply at all.
Last time I asked them about ebooks about a year ago they sent a reply saying that they can't really comment, but this time they just ignored me.
Either their support is getting worse, or they were told not to answer any question relating to the Kindle and/or ebooks...
Sad really, because I always liked amazon.de a lot, not least because they were very responsive and had extremely good customer support...let's hope that has not changed.

silvania
10-12-2007, 10:51 AM
So October 15 is very near... anyone care to make any predictions?

1. Will it still be released on October 15?
2. What will the price be? NY Times says USD 400 to 500.

yvanleterrible
10-12-2007, 11:49 AM
I think mainly that it is the unveiling that should be made on the 15th, not the sales launch. Take as an example the Asus EEE, it will probably be the same. My reason for thinking this way is that you can keep things under wrap during conception stages but when approaching manufacturing, with all the partners involved, things are much harder to keep secret. A launch is much easyer between those two stages.

Dave Berk
10-15-2007, 01:32 PM
So. Today is the big day. Any news?

Nate the great
10-15-2007, 01:34 PM
So. Today is the big day. Any news?

Other than the bits and pieces I've dug up, no news (yet).

CommanderROR
10-15-2007, 04:31 PM
I think we can call it a day...in germany it's long past closing hours and we certainly won't see any Kindle in europe today... ;)

tsgreer
10-15-2007, 04:39 PM
Hey is this going to be one of those situations where NatCh and the gang drop a message in the next few days detailing all the private meetings they have been having with the Amazon people and show us all the pics and specs.

Then they go on to mention how they have known about it for three weeks but due to NDA they couldn't tell us?!?! :)

Nate the great
10-15-2007, 04:50 PM
Hey is this going to be one of those situations where NatCh and the gang drop a message in the next few days detailing all the private meetings they have been having with the Amazon people and show us all the pics and specs.

Then they go on to mention how they have known about it for three weeks but due to NDA they couldn't tell us?!?! :)

I doubt it. They all sounded thrilled about the trademark stuff I found.

Also, I doubt that Alexander would go to the Frankfurt book fair if he already knew the details on the Kindle. Now, if he learned the details there, that's different.

yvanleterrible
10-15-2007, 04:50 PM

:laugh4:

Good one! I just wish they could, MR is not that well known to the industry. Must be the logo.

Bob Russell
10-15-2007, 05:07 PM
I can tell you this. I'm not under NDA with Amazon about the Kindle. Wish I was!

If anyone from the Kindle team is reading this and wants to arrange for some publicity at rollout by providing a sample device and information, I'm available. Sounds to me like a win-win situation for both Amazon and the MobileRead community! ;-)

NatCh
10-15-2007, 05:13 PM
I thought about not replying, or just replying "no comment" ... but I just can't do that to y'all. So I'll join Bob in admitting a lack of Amazonion/Kindle-oid NDA upon me at the moment. I too wish it weren't so, and I also would be willing to bear that burden -- for the good of MobileRead, of course -- if it should come about at some future time. :wink:

Of course, part of the reason we're not could have something to do with posting all that leaked FCC info last year. :D

Nate the great
10-15-2007, 05:14 PM
They missed their chance for good news coverage of the announcement. It's much too late now. :tired:

No Kindle launch today.:disappoin

tsgreer
10-15-2007, 05:25 PM
I thought about not replying, or just replying "no comment" ... but I just can't do that to y'all.

Oooo, that would have been evil! :o

NatCh
10-15-2007, 05:39 PM
Oooo, that would have been evil! :oMy thought exactly -- obnoxious I have no problem with being, but I try to draw the line at evil. :tongue3:

THJahar
10-15-2007, 06:06 PM
Bah, no kindle....I did think it was odd that they would launch an american device at a european bookfair.
I mean we've had no indication that it would be launched in Europe simutaneously at all.
The only real hints we've had are american
FCC pics = American
Amazon.com kindle books leak = American
Only the french eNewspaper article stating the 15th was in anyway related to Europe.
I'm all for saying that there's no smoke without fire, but we haven't even got anymore smoke at the moment.

ischeriad
10-15-2007, 08:40 PM
nevermind.

HarryT
10-16-2007, 03:52 AM
The only real hints we've had are american
FCC pics = American

No, I believe the references to Amazon "Whispernet" (the download mechanism?) were found on amazon.co.uk, the UK version of Amazon.

NatCh
10-16-2007, 10:33 AM
Yup, we found both whispernet and kindle edition referenced on the .co.uk variant of Amazon