View Full Version : How long has Amazon been trolling for ebooks?

RalphTrickey
09-11-2007, 12:32 AM
I went to their site and noticed at the bottom of each book is sentence saying that if you have the rights to that book, to contact them about publixhing it as an ebook.:book2:

Is that new, or had I just never noticed?:(

NightGeometry
09-11-2007, 02:18 AM
Doesn't seem to be the case on Amazon.co.uk Possible bad news for us Brits?

HarryT
09-11-2007, 04:41 AM
Doesn't seem to be the case on Amazon.co.uk Possible bad news for us Brits?

Probably not. We can buy stuff from amazon.com if we choose to; I quite often do, because they stock different things to amazon.co.uk.

amazon.co.uk don't sell eBooks at all, AFAIK. Perhaps that'll change in the future.

jasonkchapman
09-11-2007, 07:50 AM
Is that new, or had I just never noticed?:(

It's not new. They own BookSurge, and they've been trolling out-of-print titles for business for that, as well. Once the book is digitized for print-on-demand, e-books are easy.

nekokami
09-11-2007, 09:52 AM
They've been at it for at least 2 years now. I always think it's ironic, as Amazon doesn't list their Mobipocket holdings under the "Also Available in:" formats section! In fact, I think they've dropped ebooks on the main Amazon sites as part of the acquisition of Mobipocket. This makes no sense to me.

RalphTrickey
09-11-2007, 10:08 AM
They've been at it for at least 2 years now. I always think it's ironic, as Amazon doesn't list their Mobipocket holdings under the "Also Available in:" formats section! In fact, I think they've dropped ebooks on the main Amazon sites as part of the acquisition of Mobipocket. This makes no sense to me.
That shows how observant I am:smack:. Thanks.

It could be that they didn't want the two sites to compete for the same business, and so the guy in charge of the Mobipocket site had enough pull to make his site the preferred one. Sales also might have been poor when you could see the price of a new ebook side by side with a used pbook.

NatCh
09-11-2007, 11:52 AM
Once the book is digitized for print-on-demand, e-books are easy.Unless, of course, the prospective e-book maker is determined to be difficult. :shrug:

That shows how observant I am:smack:.Heh, with all the ... detritus on Amazon pages, I'm impressed that you noticed it at all, I hadn't. But what really impresses me is that nekokami actually remembers how long it's been there! :shocked2:

LaughingVulcan
09-11-2007, 08:28 PM
^ Yep, but when you search in Google using the books title and adding "eBook" as an 'and' inclusion, Amazon usually comes up. So then you wonder "Why am I getting sent to Amazon for the eBook of this?" And then you realize it's because every single freakin' book page talks about "if you want to sell the eBook rights" or whatever.... :(

Phebe
06-11-2009, 09:12 PM
There's an article in yesterday's Wall Street Journal about Google being investigated for antitrust because of all the books they are scanning, though they did do a big settlement on this last year with publishers.

This thread reminds me that Amazon also wishes to get into the copyright control business, and not be dependent on Google. In fact, presumably Amazon may be one of the complainers about Google's scanning! That makes the government action a little more intelligible ---- I always thought it was great Google is scanning EVERYthing right down to people's grocery lists on the refrigerator, but Amazon wants to offer content electronically also.