View Full Version : What would make me buy a Kindle?

RalphTrickey
09-10-2007, 04:20 PM
Total speculation, of course, but fun:p

Since it is supposed to have EVDO, there are a bunch of things that they could do with it.

1) Deliver newspapers, rss feeds and other content right to your device without playing PC games that are too complicated for most people to mess with.

2) Blackberry Competitor. How would you like to be able to read your email, surf the net, download/play music and books, etc. using a Viziplex E-Ink device and 'real' (although mini) keyboard? You could probably write off the expense of the device too, which helps a little.

3) An IM client. There's nothing to say you couldn't IM friends.

4) a VoIP client.Why not talk to them too.:smack:

Things I'd like to see...

Detachable keyboard:huh:to reduce the form factor. I'll probalby mostly be reading, so the keyboard isn't necessary.

Either 'Pay as you go' EVDO charges or subscription fees.

My 2c,
Ralph

NightGeometry
09-10-2007, 04:56 PM
What would convince me to buy it would be... if it were a damn good ebook reader and if I could get any (or almost any) book from Amazon in a suitable format.

If i could opt for hard- and soft- copy of books for a combined reduced price then hey, I'll take one *now*. (If it had an OSX interface...)

The other things you want - well I like the to be in my pda, not my book reader. In my ebook reader I want humungous battery life, not doodad's.

paulkbiba
09-10-2007, 06:18 PM
Actually the more features the LESS I'd want to buy it. I want and easy to carry ebook reader that reads as many formats as possible. It should have excellent battery life.

All those other features detract from simplicity and battery life, and probably portability. I want an ebook reader, not a PDA with a large screen.

yvanleterrible
09-10-2007, 06:37 PM
Keyboard text input. That would make it the first eink word processor.
I'd like to write on that thing.

HarryT
09-11-2007, 04:42 AM
2) Blackberry Competitor. How would you like to be able to read your email, surf the net, download/play music and books, etc. using a Viziplex E-Ink device and 'real' (although mini) keyboard? You could probably write off the expense of the device too, which helps a little.

eInk screen are lousy for general "surfing" because of their slow update speed. Not at all a pleasant experience.

HarryT
09-11-2007, 04:43 AM
[QUOTE=yvanleterrible;95948]Keyboard text input. That would make it the first eink word processor.
/QUOTE]

No it wouldn't. You can do that on the iLiad.

heb
09-11-2007, 08:16 AM
Just out of interest, if you wanted to make a hybrid display capable of nice text and then faster updates for web browsing etc, could you create a layer of e ink and then overlay that with an LCD? In games and things I have seen it looks like you can overlay and LCD over just about anything and its transparent unless its in use.

HEB

HarryT
09-11-2007, 08:41 AM
eInk is opaque. Where would you put the backlight? :)

RalphTrickey
09-11-2007, 09:48 AM
eInk screen are lousy for general "surfing" because of their slow update speed. Not at all a pleasant experience.
If it's Vizplex, that cuts the refresh down a little, If it's got 8 color grey scale, that helps, and it might be better than my blackberry for the sites I hit.

If it's got EVDO, it might also be usable as a modem you could plug into a laptop. The hardware would support that capability, all you'd need is the software and the subscription.

They also might have kept is simple, and only support RSS and book downloads to keep the subscription costs down. I like that idea too:grin2:

Ralph

nekokami
09-11-2007, 09:49 AM
B&W LCD doesn't need a backlight. :)

The OLPC has a dual-layer screen. Does anyone know what the two layers consist of? (I know it's not e ink, just wondering what it is.)

Adam B.
09-11-2007, 10:04 AM
Keyboard text input. That would make it the first eink word processor.

Everything the Kindle can do, the iLiad can do better

:D

yvanleterrible
09-11-2007, 10:09 AM
[QUOTE=yvanleterrible;95948]Keyboard text input. That would make it the first eink word processor.
/QUOTE]

Is there a keyboard on the Iliad?

Adam B.
09-11-2007, 10:12 AM
The iLiad has a software based keyboard and also does handwriting recognition.

You can also connect an external USB keyboard to it as well.

Alisa
09-11-2007, 01:21 PM
I'd rather be able to attach a good keyboard when I need it than have a less useful one on there all the time making the thing larger and heavier than it needs to be during those times when I just want to read.

NatCh
09-11-2007, 01:22 PM
I'm thinking the same thing, Alisa, but I don't make much in the way of notes in my books. If I did, I'd likely see it differently. :shrug:

Alisa
09-11-2007, 01:51 PM
If I were using it for studying I'd probably be happy with something like the soft-keyboard or pen on the Iliad if I were on the go. For prolonged studying and note-taking I think I'd want the better keyboard. But then I have no idea how much of an added cost the touchscreen is for the Iliad. The Kindle is already at a bit of a problematic price point IMO. It seems like they're adding expensive features. I'm just not sure if they're adding the right expensive features for their market.

HarryT
09-11-2007, 01:52 PM
I just can't imagine writing in any of my books. It would feel almost like "sacrilege" to do so.

NatCh
09-11-2007, 01:55 PM
Funny you should phrase it that way, HarryT -- my Bible is about the only book I do write in. Isn't that ironic?

Liviu_5
09-11-2007, 01:59 PM
Regarding the title of the thread, I would buy the Kindle if the price goes under 100$ maybe with some credit card promotion like Sony's...

nekokami
09-11-2007, 02:05 PM
I just can't imagine writing in any of my books. It would feel almost like "sacrilege" to do so.
I don't write in books -- even textbooks. But I've found the note-taking feature in the iLiad feels different, because I know the notes are stored separately and I can remove them all at any time. :)

(Though there's also a downside to that; I think I lost all the notes I made in one book in a recent CF card problem. :( )

Alisa
09-11-2007, 02:12 PM
When I was in university I wrote in my books quite a bit. It was helpful for planning my essays. I always disliked doing it, though. I would've loved to have something like the Iliad for that. It would've saved me from hauling around a heavy bag full of books everywhere, too. Plus it always seemed that no matter how much I brought with me there was always another book or two I wished I had when I was away from my house. These days most of my reading is for work or recreation. For either of these things, the thing I want most in a reader is the ability to search texts.

HappyMartin
09-11-2007, 03:08 PM
Am I getting it wrong or did I see a photo of the kindle on this forum somewhere. Funny looking thing. Not sure I could ever buy something that ugly. Perhaps you could hollow out an old accounting text book and hide it in there.

yvanleterrible
09-11-2007, 03:17 PM
I was thinking more of writing my own book on something less cumbersome than a laptop. But I would settle for an eink laptop the size of an Asus triple E, and better yet with a rectangular screen in an A4 orientation.
The first pictures of the Kindle suggest more a study helping device than a basic ebook reader.

NatCh
09-11-2007, 04:29 PM
Am I getting it wrong or did I see a photo of the kindle on this forum somewhere.Is this (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=7569) what you're thinking of, HappyMartin? :nice:

yvanleterrible
09-11-2007, 04:43 PM
And pictures of the insides here (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8111&highlight=remember+kindle)

NatCh
09-11-2007, 05:00 PM
Ah, yes, thank you, yvanleterrible -- I was looking for that.

europas_ice
09-11-2007, 05:34 PM
eInk is opaque. Where would you put the backlight? :)

It can't have a backlight, but it SHOULD have a frontlight. You know those "lightwedge" booklights, where they shine led light through a plexiglass panel?

http://www.amazon.com/LightWedge-Reading-Light/dp/0641077491

They should have similar led lights built in for the front of the eink ebooks. The only drawback I can see is draining the battery faster when you're using it, but sometimes you just need a light, and having a built in one would be so handy.

NatCh
09-11-2007, 05:45 PM
I heartily agree with the frontlight point. I'd think that if it could be turned on only when needed, the battery drain issue would be manageable, especially with some of the new high-efficiency LEDs that are available now. :shrug:

JSWolf
09-11-2007, 06:47 PM
To answer the question of the topic... BRAIN DAMAGE! :smack:

LaughingVulcan
09-11-2007, 08:37 PM
For me it would depend entirely on the book selections available - and then only as an eventual replacement for my Reader. I wouldn't throw away or sell an iLiad or Kindle if one was laid on my couch, but one reason I bought the Reader was to have a single eBook source.

At any rate I wonder if the Kindle did get Harry Potter exclusively, if that would be enough of a reason for some people. (And yep, Jon, I already know your answer to that. ;) )

NatCh
09-11-2007, 09:14 PM
If they get it, it'd logically be in Mobi format, so you'd probably have access to it on another mobi reading device.

I don't see them limiting it to just the Kindle, but dumber things have happened. :shrug:

HappyMartin
09-12-2007, 02:24 AM
Is this (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=7569) what you're thinking of, HappyMartin? :nice:

Thats it, funny looking thing, like a early 1980 mac.

NatCh
09-12-2007, 11:16 AM
The thing that gets me about it is that the way the sides slant toward the top, the rascal is going to be a right pain in the sitter-downer to pick up off a flat surface, like, say, a table. I mean, who thought that was a good design choice? :unafraid:

yvanleterrible
09-12-2007, 12:17 PM
I can just imagine holes on one side to put it in a three ring binder school style.

JSWolf
09-12-2007, 01:22 PM
If Amazon is going to have their ebooks available only for the Kindle, then this is going to put one hell of a crimp in ebooks overall. I sure hope not as that would cause the rest of us a lot of grief.

petermillard
09-12-2007, 06:23 PM
I can just imagine holes on one side to put it in a three ring binder school style.

That's what it reminds me of! An 80s-style calculator with holes in one side to keep it in a Filofax.

Only bigger, obviously;)

And for the record, if it looks like that, I can't think of anything that will make me buy it.

MikeF74
09-16-2007, 06:30 PM
I know it must be way too late in the design cycle, but the only way I'd buy it is if it had a detachable keyboard. I'd use it without the keyboard 95% of the time, and plug in the keyboard when needed. Also, it would have to have a dark finish and come down to the $350-$400 price range.

If it was format-locked and everything required payments (books, newspapers) to micropayments *(RSS, e-mail, IM, etc), then I wouldn't pay more than $75 for the device.