View Full Version : PE back from hospital, should I try Ermine again?

AbbyNormal
06-07-2011, 10:20 AM
Hi folks,

I recently got my PE back from the hospital for the white screen of death after updating to Ermine.

Should I risk Ermine again?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Aimee

emusan
06-07-2011, 10:28 AM
did you get back the same PE you sent in, or did they just end up sending you a new one?

AbbyNormal
06-07-2011, 12:12 PM
Good question... I don't know! It looks the same but I didn't write down any serial numbers or anything.

How can I tell?

emusan
06-07-2011, 12:34 PM
well, if it didn't have any distinguishing marks I don't know if you can... I would do the update if I were in your situation, but its totally your choice...

sabman
06-07-2011, 12:41 PM
I got the same device back. I did not intend to update till I played around with the Dingo version for a while. After booting it up I got a message that an update is available. I assumed this was the update for the Dingo version itself. So I did update and have been using it for a while now without much problems. But I will make sure I won't hit the hibernate button and get that damn WSOD again.

Gunnerp245
06-07-2011, 12:43 PM
Good question... I don't know! It looks the same but I didn't write down any serial numbers or anything. How can I tell?

Did you register with Adobe for DRM purposes; not sure whether the serial number would have been recorded.

AbbyNormal
06-07-2011, 02:13 PM
I did register with Adobe but their website doesn't seem to have any device-specific information.

Sabman, I never hit the hibernate button, it happened after I just closed the two halves together. Maybe this makes it hibernate?

Honestly I don't know if I can resist updating. Must... have... latest...

Last_of_the_PEs
06-07-2011, 02:18 PM
For what it's worth. I upgraded to Ermine the day I got my pocket edge, before I did anything else, and everything went fine.

I'm not sure how a PE gets into a state where the documented "golden update" doesn't work. I haven't done it, but it seems to be a process that takes hold before the unit actually "boots up".

emusan
06-07-2011, 02:29 PM
I did register with Adobe but their website doesn't seem to have any device-specific information.

Sabman, I never hit the hibernate button, it happened after I just closed the two halves together. Maybe this makes it hibernate?

Honestly I don't know if I can resist updating. Must... have... latest...

yes, closing it should make it hibernate, though one user seems to be having problems with it(we don't know quite why yet)...

CheyenneDonna
06-07-2011, 06:48 PM
My PE only hibernates on closing when it wants to. Many times I have opened a supposedly hibernating PE to find it either had drained the battery and shut off or is about to do so.

javese
06-07-2011, 10:41 PM
I met white screen death once when I were adding a batch of books into library.There were so many books being added that the screen lock timer was up during the process and caused a white screen death.Fortunately the reset recovered my PE from death and then I set the timer to '5 minutes".No more white screen death by now.

Edward_R
06-09-2011, 02:13 PM
Hi folks,

I recently got my PE back from the hospital for the white screen of death after updating to Ermine.

Should I risk Ermine again?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Aimee

I just got my PE back after the WSOD as well. The first thing I did was try to connect to the wireless network at work and found that the MAC address had changed even though the serial number was the same (I'm concluding there was a major hardware replacement). The next thing I did after getting it back was to re-register (the registration server still works), and then I bought a 3 year Squaretrade warranty from amazon.com. I'm planning to update again, but I wanted to make sure I'd have support first.