Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-06-2011, 01:04 PM   #1
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
View sonic to B&N: Bring it! As they introduce a 7" android tablet

Viewsonic has introduced a new tablet/eReader. It appears viewsonic has B&N's nookColor in it's cross hairs, with their release this 7" tablet.

This tablet hardware is very similar in hardware but provides a little more horsepower to the table, unfortunately at the cost of screen resolution.

The tablet seems to be shipping with stock Froyo with Amazon's Android apps preinstalled( Kindle, Appstore, MP3, Store,etc..). That means no custom ROM is needed to get a full tablet experience. This product also comes with a stylus.

All for the price of $249.

Below is a video found on their home page.

See their home page for more spec info.
more...

(Note: One odd thing I found is while they only mention Kindle eReading, in their "supported eReader format" they list ePUB and exclude MOBI/AWZ.)
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:57 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
What really sets the Nook Color above the rest of the tablets in the sub-$300 market is its display. B&N didn't skimp here and I'm glad. To me, the display is the single most important feature.

My bet is that a side-by-side between these two tablets will show that B&N has nothing to fear from ViewSonic.

This is the type of tablet I'm betting that Amazon will release later this year, only with better specs: NC type display, a little more horsepower, access to their appstore only, and priced around $229.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2011, 10:17 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The resolution is awful. Sorry, but 800x400 is so wrong.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:29 AM   #4
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
It's not 4:3. Awful.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:17 AM   #5
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
The only 7inch tablet apart from nook color that looks good to me is samsung tab sadly its price never came down around here is still selling for around $700 sans contract. So instead of buying a tablet I splurged on an Htpc.
So now I will wait for a tablet with at least tegra 3 processor and 7inch before I buy one. Or maybe will upgrade my Galaxy S to Galaxy S2 haven't decided yet truthfully haven't been able to justify a tablet purchase to myself yet as I don't see what I would use it for apart from web browsing at home.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2011, 06:17 AM   #6
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
I like the Flyer (I love handwriting recognition and note taking ability of a pen...use it on my tabletPC sometimes) but it's still too expensive.

NC is still the best low-price bang for buck.

Toshiba has a new tablet coming with full size USB, HDMI, and SD...but it's a 10 incher. I'd love something like that at 7" or so.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:25 PM   #7
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Yep I have to agree the screen quality is one of the most important factors to me, it's why I was not interested in the Dell Streak 7. Most of my android devices are purchased because of the quality screen Galaxy S and Nook.

But for those that do not mind 800x600 this seems like a good buy.

@dopedangel That's shame the price has not dropped, I was looking at the Tab the other day and that device has a solid feel and very smooth felt right in the hands. The nook still had a better screen, but not by much.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #8
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
I like the Flyer (I love handwriting recognition and note taking ability of a pen...use it on my tabletPC sometimes) but it's still too expensive.

NC is still the best low-price bang for buck.

Toshiba has a new tablet coming with full size USB, HDMI, and SD...but it's a 10 incher. I'd love something like that at 7" or so.
I like the Flyer alot, The way HTC Sense and Gingerbread is implementated on the Flyer, you won't miss honeycomb.

they did a wonderfull job. Not a big fan of the price though.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, ereader, kindle, tablet, viewsonic