View Full Version : How to install .apks?

pyxiwulf
06-04-2011, 08:33 PM
Total Android n00b, sorry about the silly question, but I poked around and didn't find directions. When I killed my PE last week and had to reflash it, I of course lost my apps since I hadn't backed up. So I poked around the good old interwebs and found myself .apk files that appear to be compatible with 2.2, but I'm nearly clueless what to do with them now. I'd share what I've tried, but I think I'd rather not contaminate the responses and hope someone can just give me a step by step or point me to one?

CheyenneDonna
06-04-2011, 08:51 PM
When you download just tap on it or transfer with dropbox - in this case the install begins automatically.

emusan
06-04-2011, 08:52 PM
If you open up ES File Explore and navigate to the place where you save them all you have to do is tap them and it should install. That, or if your downloading them from the internet once its downloaded drag down the bar at the top of the screen and tap on the download message, it should start installing then.

pyxiwulf
06-04-2011, 08:59 PM
Oh crud, I forgot, these are .apks that I downloaded to my pc

CheyenneDonna
06-04-2011, 09:06 PM
Log on to Amazon and have the link for the Amazon Market emailed to your Gmail account. Install Dropbox, and on your PC if not there already. Put all your apk files in your Dropbox. Or use Awesomedrop http://www.androidzoom.com/android_applications/awesome+drop+apk

Nate the great
06-04-2011, 09:45 PM
Try this:
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/2010/12/25/getting-started-with-a-tablet/

It's a generalized getting started post, but the part on apps should help.

emusan
06-04-2011, 11:14 PM
yeah, as others have said you will need to find a way to transfer them to your PE, my personal favorite way is using dropbox, then just tap the app once its in your dropbox and you should be good to go. To install dropbox on your PE use the browser to search for dropbox.apk and then download and install that, you will need an account but they are free and quite handy(I save all my homework/work on their so I always have it when I need it :) ).

mr_ed
06-05-2011, 12:30 AM
Try this:
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/2010/12/25/getting-started-with-a-tablet/

It's a generalized getting started post, but the part on apps should help.

Good article!

-- Ed

pyxiwulf
06-05-2011, 10:09 AM
I must have the wrong .apk then or have that install error issue then, because it's not installing. bummer

emusan
06-05-2011, 10:19 AM
do you know what kind of error it gives you when you try to install it?

And if you don't mind my asking, what is it an apk for?

sarah11918
06-05-2011, 11:14 AM
I'm not a dropbox user, so I just tended to email myself the apk file, and clicking on it seemed to do the trick.

I also tried to dowload directly on the edge, where possible. Even if I found it on my laptop, I'd send myself the link rather than the file, if I could. In that case, it would show up as a download and clicking on it would work just fine.

Mark Rehorst
06-05-2011, 06:23 PM
I must have the wrong .apk then or have that install error issue then, because it's not installing. bummer

Keep in mind most .apk's are written to run on phones. The PE hardware is quite different. It is reasonable to expect some apk's not to work on the PE.

pyxiwulf
06-06-2011, 10:33 AM
the one I'm currently stuck on is Pandora. I haven't even tried to replace any of the others I lost yet. The Pandora app I downloaded from the entourage store worked just fine, but I've tried .apks from a couple sites and I just get "application not installed". That and the FB widget are the two I really wish I still had that were lost.