View Full Version : Manual update to Ermine (BETA)

larka
06-03-2011, 01:52 PM
From Entourageedge.com website posted yesterday. They are not letting us down! https://www.entourageedge.com/support/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=265

Manual update to Ermine (BETA!)

Article

1. Download the Ermine Update file for edge or pocket edge.
eDGe 2.0 http://www.entourageedge.com/updates/eermine/update.zip.ermine-0.9
Pocket http://www.entourageedge.com/updates/permine/update.zip.ermine-0.9
2. Rename the file to "update.zip"
3. Place this file in the root (not a subdirectory) of a USB stick
4. Verify your edge/pocket is OFF.
5. Insert the USB stick into a USB port on the device.
6. While holding down the MENU and ROTATE buttons on the LCD side of the device, press the power key.
7. Continue to hold the MENU and ROTATE keys down for 10 seconds. 8. After 1-2 minutes you should see an "Updating software" splash screen.
13. After ~15 minutes the device will reboot and will be running the Ermine BETA build.

Article Details
Article ID: 265Created On: 02 Jun 2011 5:00 PM

emusan
06-03-2011, 02:09 PM
either that, or they're saying that they will be taking down the update.zip's from their servers(thus breaking their update app) and wanted to let users know how to do it manually...

larka
06-03-2011, 02:13 PM
They already did... My back up still running, and update.zips started to download on May 31, but then reverted to 1 kb as placeholder on June 01. There is no way to register and run update directly from Edge. last time I done it (coincidentally, it was May 28). BTW the golden.update.zip still available through KB
https://www.entourageedge.com/support/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=263

North19
06-03-2011, 02:33 PM
Thank you thank you thank you, Larka... that is exactly what I was looking for: the official golden download file. I googled for it but couldn't find it.

sarah11918
06-03-2011, 02:38 PM
Just to confirm, that's the Ermine Beta that we already have, right? It's not some new version?

emusan
06-03-2011, 03:27 PM
Just to confirm, that's the Ermine Beta that we already have, right? It's not some new version?

It says .9, which is the version that has been out at least since I got my PE a few weeks ago, probably longer as well... I would hope they would change the file name if they had a newer version...

larka
06-03-2011, 04:08 PM
It is probably the same update.zip for Beta, but I downloaded a file from link posted here by mrlanrat on 5/24/11 and the one from entourage today. Both files about 1 Mb smaller now...

geckoFeet
06-04-2011, 12:12 AM
I put eNtourAgE's versions of all of these (pocket + edge; golden + ermine - four files) on http://dustyfeet.com/edge if it's more convenient to download from there.

geneven1
06-04-2011, 12:22 AM
I've already updated to Ermine, but what exactly does "golden" mean? I've been assuming it means Dingo final.

geckoFeet
06-04-2011, 09:56 AM
That's correct; Golden = Dingo final. The metallurgy of this is obscure, however.

emusan
06-04-2011, 12:15 PM
I think golden also implies that it has all the files required by the system and is used to replace whatever is on the eDGe(meaning you can use it to downgrade as well)

tylj05
06-06-2011, 08:28 PM
Okay, so I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong. I followed these instructions to the T and nothing happens on the Pocket Edge side. It just boots up as normal without any indication that an update is taking place. Any suggestions to get this upgrade to take? Thanks in advance.

emusan
06-06-2011, 08:31 PM
Okay, so I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong. I followed these instructions to the T and nothing happens on the Pocket Edge side. It just boots up as normal without any indication that an update is taking place. Any suggestions to get this upgrade to take? Thanks in advance.

did you get the screen saying that its updating after holding down the buttons indicated?

tylj05
06-06-2011, 08:56 PM
No I got nothin'

tylj05
06-06-2011, 08:59 PM
I'm going to try it again right now. Crossing by fingers and toes this time.

emusan
06-06-2011, 09:11 PM
I'm going to try it again right now. Crossing by fingers and toes this time.

Good luck! If it doesn't work try reformatting(will delete all data so watch out) the USB stick to FAT and make sure that the file you place in the root is named update.zip

Filark
06-06-2011, 09:20 PM
Good luck!! :D

Cincicraigslist
07-11-2011, 11:53 PM
I am having the same problem, tried dozens of times, reformatting the USB drive and nothing works.

Filark
07-12-2011, 12:15 AM
Hi Cinci!

The most common problem seems to be people using Windows and ending up with "update.zip.zip" which won't work. Try naming the file simply "update."

Some people have had luck with different USB sticks, or using a microSD card instead.

I can't remember offhand what other solutions are working. I know you've been at this for a while . . . . :(

Gunnerp245
07-12-2011, 09:10 AM
I am having the same problem, tried dozens of times, reformatting the USB drive and nothing works.

Seems no reason for it but some have been using a FAT format others the FAT32 format for the USB stick; just recently a member reported using a microSDHC to finally get the update to take.

splitpersonality
07-12-2011, 11:18 AM
I just verified that with one USB stick I was not able to update, even though the Edge would recognize and mount it later for use. I tried a different USB stick, and bingo - update! Both were formatted FAT32, btw - it was not a format issue. So something to try if you can't get an update to go. Also you will notice that the USB light doesn't do the blinking for data access if this is the case.

Gunnerp245
07-12-2011, 12:10 PM
I just verified that with one USB stick I was not able to update, even though the Edge would recognize and mount it later for use. I tried a different USB stick, and bingo - update! Both were formatted FAT32, btw - it was not a format issue. So something to try if you can't get an update to go. Also you will notice that the USB light doesn't do the blinking for data access if this is the case.

Not all USB devices are the same!?

ptsenter
07-12-2011, 02:09 PM
Congrats :)

vicinc
07-12-2011, 02:59 PM
usually the smaller the usb stick the better. mine like the 256 mb the best.

emusan
07-12-2011, 05:03 PM

was the non-working stick a cruzer and/or had U3 on it?

chokra
07-13-2011, 09:54 AM
Hi guys,

I am not able to get this file working. I followed the procedures using two different usb sticks, none of them work, no update happens. I just got my PE its running dingo 1.6 or 1.8 (factory default). Can anyone help me to get it to root. I go under the settings tab, application settings, but then I only see manage all apps and unknown sources. I am not able to root it either. thanks.

ivanjt
07-13-2011, 05:22 PM
And why would you want to root it at the moment, it doesn't help with updating.

monkeytailz
07-29-2011, 05:37 PM
Hi Cinci!

The most common problem seems to be people using Windows and ending up with "update.zip.zip" which won't work. Try naming the file simply "update.". . . :(

Thank you...this tip seemed to work for me so far. Using stick and renamed to update.zip, didn't work, but then removing .zip allowed the software update to work! It's updating now...hope this is it!

Franky
07-30-2011, 11:52 AM
Oh darn, I did the inevitable. I did the upgrade to this Beta Ermine.

Gottah say... it's quicker and looks better. Why did I do it? No clue. I think I wanna see what others did.
I just looked at a quote from Filark and...... what the heck, let's get it done..

ivanjt
07-30-2011, 03:39 PM
Oh darn, I did the inevitable. I did the upgrade to this Beta Ermine.

Gottah say... it's quicker and looks better. Why did I do it? No clue. I think I wanna see what others did.
I just looked at a quote from Filark and...... what the heck, let's get it done..
The only real thing you have to watch out for on the EE is the hibernation problem.

Mine has been updated almost from the time it was first available and apart from said hibernation problem and the green cast to the camera still pictures, video has no problems, everything I want to do with it works.

Franky
07-30-2011, 04:41 PM
the hibernation problem? that's when he goes sleeping out itself? than what?

i did notice some strange darker part on the eink side, so 30% from the underside is darker when it starts with a blank screen.

ivanjt
07-30-2011, 06:33 PM
The hibernation problem is seen when you close the EE without switching off. The next time you try to use it nothing happens - you then need to remove the battery and replace it, then the EE boots up as normal.