View Full Version : Will you buy another EE or PE and for how much?

larka
06-02-2011, 04:16 PM
Everyone on the forums LOVE their devices. And everyone I show it to WANTS one. I am wondering (if you don't mind sharing), when did you get you device, where, and for how much? Also will you buy again and what is a ceiling for you given EOL status?

Mine & bought for friends (2011):
PE red - Ebay - 250$ - march
PE black - amazon (WWD) - 200$ - april
PE black - amazon - 175$ (U tech) - may
EE blue - amazon (U tech) - 300$ - april

Will buy again for:
PE <250$
EE <380$

emusan
06-02-2011, 04:28 PM
I'm saving up for a backup PE from WWD, though I would probably pay up to ~$250 for one, I'm not really too interested in an EE yet(though if I could get a new one for <$300 I would), as for the kind of money they usually go for I could easily just get a netbook and mod it with some things that would make it more like an EE...

Last_of_the_PEs
06-02-2011, 05:14 PM
I don't know that I'd buy another PE, but I'd buy an EE now at around $200. I would have bought one from Woot for $200 last month if that's what they had.

I don't think I'd recommend either to someone else because I'm not sure how they'd react to the products being discontinued. At $200 or less, I'm willing to write the thing off if it breaks or fails, but at $300 or more, it would get on my nerves.

Franky
06-02-2011, 05:44 PM
You bet I buy a spare EE. The price determine the moment, but up to €200.

Adiposus Maximus
06-02-2011, 05:53 PM
dark blue EE $499 from Entourage, May 2010 (new)
white EE $200 from ebay, Mar 2011 (scratched up, half eaten and spit out)
black PE $130 from ebay, May 2011 (used)

....and I'm not buying any more unless they get really cheap, but not because of lack of support, just because I have more than I need already except as backups.

Filark
06-03-2011, 12:09 AM
I don't know that I'd buy another PE, but I'd buy an EE now at around $200. I would have bought one from Woot for $200 last month if that's what they had.

I don't think I'd recommend either to someone else because I'm not sure how they'd react to the products being discontinued. At $200 or less, I'm willing to write the thing off if it breaks or fails, but at $300 or more, it would get on my nerves.

I'm pretty much the same as Last_of. :) I have a bid on an EE from ebay now, if I don't get that one I will try again. I love my PE, but sometimes the screens are just too small.

Dumas
06-03-2011, 01:03 AM
Ditto Filark and Last.

ken_jennings
06-03-2011, 01:16 PM
Would buy another EE, new for no more than $249.
A new PE for no more than $199.

In a year, have to figure they've all been used, so I would buy a used EE then for no more than $175, and a used PE for maybe $119.

sarah11918
06-03-2011, 02:04 PM
I only have an original EE but don't right now feel the need to buy a backup, especially given the prices are too high for either a second new device or one that's been used and who knows in what condition.

I may be pushing my luck, but I figure by the time my edge craps out there will probably be something new and shiny available. If not, $200 - $300 tops is what I'd pay to replace my edge. I love the size of the EE but less so the weight and thickness. (We're on the road for long stretches at a time and it's yet another laptop taking up valuable space/weight in the carryon bag as airlines get more and more stingy about these sorts of things.) I can't see going down to the PE because for pdf annotation/journal note taking I just don't think it's big enough for me, especially with the N810 I carry around that allows me to fill out a pdf form and sign a document just fine (since it doesn't have the zoom levels issue, I can zoom right in, sign, then zoom out.).

And now that I have an 11" Macbook Air, it's really no biggie to always have a laptop with me, so I don't need much of the tablet functions. It's the wacom journal I need (OK, want!), and by the time I'm edgeless, there may very well be a good "notepad" replacement, be it the Eee Note or something else.

But the edge was practically perfect when I was between laptops and had no other computer. It was more than worth its original price, at the time, as a complete laptop/tablet solution.

pyxiwulf
06-03-2011, 09:03 PM
I'd buy the PE again if the company weren't defunct, but I'm not willing to invest into more than one defunct device. If it weren't obvious they were disappearing when I bought mine, I would have bought 3 more, husband and two kids. And yeah, every single person I showed it to was ready to fork over $ until they found out the company was gone. This is a seriously huge market that got no advertising (heck, I've been talking for years that this is the exact device I want and I never heard of it until woot. hrmmmm...I live near Entourage's HQ, did I get punked? ;P ). I hope another company picks up the pieces and continues to develop another dualbook device.

KenJackson
06-04-2011, 01:58 PM
You don't buy electrical engineers, you hire them. Same for professional engineers. :p

Whatever device you're talking about should probably be added to Wikipedia's disambiguation page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EE).
I don't see anything there that would seem to match.

geneven1
06-04-2011, 09:01 PM
I just don't find the Eink side of things that groovy compared to the thin Kindle sitting a few feet from here. I wanted to use it for doing math while reading one of those Schaum math reviews, but so far I'm finding it too hard to write numbers quickly and accurately.

I've only had my PE for a short while, so I haven't given up yet.

sarah11918
06-04-2011, 09:03 PM
I wanted to use it for doing math while reading one of those Schaum math reviews, but so far I'm finding it too hard to write numbers quickly and accurately.

I don't have any problems on the EE, but of course, I don't have a PE. I do math on my e-ink screen all the time... quickly and accurately, of course. ;)

emusan
06-04-2011, 09:33 PM
I've done a bit with math on the e-ink, if your calibration isn't right it can be hell, but if you calibrate it the same way you hold the pen when you write(usually at an angle) its really not bad, and I have begun preferring it to paper.

sarah11918
06-04-2011, 09:36 PM
it also helps to have a plain background, not lined or graph. The cleaner the background, the quicker the writing goes.

I don't know whether it has to do with more screen that's not near the margins, but I have some vague feeling that more PE owners report lag and other such issues than EE owners.

geneven1
06-05-2011, 11:03 PM
Thanks emusan and Sarah for the eink writing feedback. I recalibrated again and there was some improvement.

mr_ed
06-07-2011, 10:19 PM
Everyone on the forums LOVE their devices.

Well, see, there's the rub. I'm a Gadget Addict, not an Edgeaholic. Under the strictest definition of "modern tablets and tablet-format e-readers," I have 8 other devices (all different). Throw in my old HP Compaq tc1100s (counting them as 1), the wacky dual-screen Sprint Kyocera Echo (http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/kyocera-echo-sprint/4505-6452_7-34498252.html) smartphone ... plus possibly others ... and it would be hard for me to say that I love my PE.

I'm afraid that when my heirs excavate my closets there will be quite a layer corresponding to The Tablet Era. But there won't be duplicates of most of the once-treasured items. :(

-- Ed

Edward_R
06-09-2011, 02:00 PM
I would pickup a backup PE as long as I could get it for under $100 since we have to pay for support.

emusan
06-09-2011, 02:44 PM
I would pickup a backup PE as long as I could get it for under $100 since we have to pay for support.

I don't think that paying for support is really necessary, you will likely get more support from the forums here, as the people here will likely have more experience with the device than most third-party support companies.

Edward_R
06-11-2011, 12:11 AM
I don't think that paying for support is really necessary, you will likely get more support from the forums here, as the people here will likely have more experience with the device than most third-party support companies.
I was thinking along the lines of hardware support, since I had to send my Pocket Edge back after less than two weeks to be repaired. Lucky for me, I got my RMA from Entourage just before they closed shop.

sarah11918
06-11-2011, 09:05 AM
I was thinking along the lines of hardware support

I think the need for hardware support tends to be luck of the draw, and tends to be known, as was your case, in the first couple of weeks. You probably either get a solid, problem-free hardware device or you don't.

So probably less of a need for ongoing hardware support as much as a need for being able to return the thing within a certain window (since no one's around to fix them anymore).