View Full Version : new subforum for the Amazon Kindle

Nate the great
09-06-2007, 01:34 PM
isn't it about time to start a forum for the Kindle?

Nate the great
09-06-2007, 07:02 PM
Well, I thought it was a good idea.

Liviu_5
09-06-2007, 07:36 PM
Agreed; I would like to know more than all these vague rumors; personally I think that eink and wi-fi do not mix well yet, so the device will be too expensive but let's see the details...

NatCh
09-06-2007, 09:19 PM
It's not that it's not a good idea, Nate the great, the trouble is, that there rally isn't all that much about the Kindle except vague rumors. Generally, Alex has created subforums for us when traffic on a given device picks up. When that happens, I'm sure there will be a Kindle subforum. :yes:

Hadrien
09-06-2007, 09:34 PM
It's not that it's not a good idea, Nate the great, the trouble is, that there rally isn't all that much about the Kindle except vague rumors. Generally, Alex has created subforums for us when traffic on a given device picks up. When that happens, I'm sure there will be a Kindle subforum. :yes:

I agree: as soon as any kind of real press release is available for the Kindle, Mobileread should create a subforum for it.

NatCh
09-06-2007, 09:56 PM
That's what's happened in the past, I expect it will for this too. Alex is really quite good about that sort of thing. :grin:

Alexander Turcic
09-07-2007, 04:19 AM
You asked, we listened ;)

HarryT
09-07-2007, 04:39 AM
Agreed; I would like to know more than all these vague rumors; personally I think that eink and wi-fi do not mix well yet, so the device will be too expensive but let's see the details...

They work well enough together on the iLiad. Very useful to be able to download content wirelessly, especially for such things as newpaper subscriptions. Wireless updates work very well indeed on the iLiad.

Nate the great
09-07-2007, 06:55 AM
Instead of a picture, the forum icon is a question mark. :) I like that.

Alexander Turcic
09-07-2007, 07:11 AM
Instead of a picture, the forum icon is a question mark. :) I like that.

1000 Karma points for the first person who sends me a real photo of the final Kindle :D

Hadrien
09-07-2007, 07:14 AM
They work well enough together on the iLiad. Very useful to be able to download content wirelessly, especially for such things as newpaper subscriptions. Wireless updates work very well indeed on the iLiad.

I agree that for sync, it works great (for example Les Echos in France, and the book/newspaper application we're doing for Feedbooks).

Browsing is a different situation. While you just keep the WiFi on for a minute or two when you need to sync something, browsing means that the WiFi stays on for a much longer time. WiFi is the best way to drain your battery, while e-ink is the best way NOT to drain your battery.

Overall, WiFi can be very nice, but if you use it in a clever way, not like on a smartphone or a laptop.

Liviu_5
09-07-2007, 09:00 AM

That's good to know. Eink being slow, I think browsing is still not that great but if downloads work nicely, that's quite useful. Since I do both direct downloads and updates on my 770, I appreciate how convenient is sometimes to just sit in bed or in a cafe and go to a site and grab a book.

The ultimate question is the pricing, and the announced 400-500$ already puts the Kindle in the fancy toy category.

NatCh
09-07-2007, 11:15 AM
1000 Karma points for the first person who sends me a real photo of the final Kindle :DOh, at least 1000! :wink2:

Nate the great
09-07-2007, 11:17 AM
1000 Karma points for the first person who sends me a real photo of the final Kindle :D

I will hold you to that promise.