View Full Version : Edge Alternatives

sarah11918
06-01-2011, 09:09 AM
I hope it's OK to post a single thread where we can chat about devices we might be considering as next replacements or complements to our edges.

On the old board, we'd mentioned the Asus Eee Note as a cheaper, less-functional pdf/annotation option. There is a tiny but active development community working on this device at TabletPCReview and it looks like they have worked out the basics of an "export to pdf" function (which the Eee Note doesn't have natively, although it does have Evernote compatibility and an export to gif option). This is a really exciting development.

Today is the day that the Eee Note was projected to be available in the US (right now, only Taiwan and Italy, I believe) so this thing *should* be coming any day now. Given that it's already available world wide, and reviewers have had their hands on English versions for some time, I'm sure it's a matter of "when" and not "if." And if it is indeed in the $199 price point, it will be an interesting lower-tech-but-hackable alternative to an EE at less than half the price.

So maybe those with PEs wanting EEs (for the larger writing tablet) might be interested in looking at this thing instead, although compared to the PE this thing will seem pretty one-dimensional, I'm sure.

geckoFeet
06-01-2011, 11:18 AM
I'm keeping an eye (just one; it's easy if you have independently movable eyeballs) on PixelQi - they're releasing a nice-size screen with a decent resolution: http://www.pixelqi.com/blog1/ Now, we need someone to en-tablet this with a digitizer or something, which NotionInk failed to do. Maybe by the time my edge breaks? (I can live with one screen if it does both things; people can always buy 2 tablets if they need 2 screens.)

North19
06-01-2011, 11:59 AM
I don't (I think) want the pdf export function as much as I want the epub-made-from-website function. Most of my work is much more text-heavy, and I like the text flow in epubs. Plus I think of pdfs as being large and annoying to work with. Of course, maybe I've not had the right pdf program.

What have others' experiences been with websites from epubs versus pdfs?

sarah11918
06-01-2011, 01:21 PM
I want the epub-made-from-website function.

Good call! I love this feature on the Edge, too. But, as I most often use the Journal and annotate pdfs (signing and filling out documents), I'd be using the Eee Note as a lighter carry-around notepad and exporting to pdf is way preferable to exporting as a gif.

Like I said, there's no question the edge is better featured overall. But the Eee Note is a bigger writing screen than the PE, closer to the EE, and as a heavy Journal user, the real estate takes on a bit more importance.

glenj
06-01-2011, 01:34 PM
The EEE note is available on eBay for $250-$330.

Sarah, do you know if you can annotate PDF's directly and be able to switch back and forth between a journal and a PDF? Also, could you post a link to the forums where they're developing stuff for this device? I'd like to see what sort of things they're doing with it.

sarah11918
06-01-2011, 01:41 PM
The EEE note is available on eBay for $250-$330.

Yup, but it's not the official English version (generally speaking) since that technically is not available until Asus releases in North America. Plus, warranties will not be available to North Americans. You can actually buy them directly from Taiwan and have them shipped -- getting it isn't the issue yet. It's just that I prefer to wait until the English version is out, official and supported. (On the TabletPC forums, they've already written language conversion tools and many of them have working English machines now, but thanks to the community, not Asus)

Sarah, do you know if you can annotate PDF's directly and be able to switch back and forth between a journal and a PDF?

Annotate PDFs directly, yes. It's subject to similar zoom level restrictions as the EEs are right now, but annotate on a PDF, no problem. I'm not sure as to how smooth the switching between docs (one pdf to another, one journal to another, a pdf to journal etc.) is right now.

Link to the Asus EEE forum (for all devices: pad, transformer, note etc.):
http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/asus-eee-line/

Link to that pdf annotation thread in particular:
http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/asus-eee-line/40926-free-pdf-annotation-merger-eee-note.html

Adiposus Maximus
06-01-2011, 05:38 PM
My replacements are the white EE ($200) and black PE ($130) from eBay fire sales.

I've cooled off on the EA800...it just looks so limited. Plus it's taking forever to come out.

CheyenneDonna
06-01-2011, 06:45 PM
I don't (I think) want the pdf export function as much as I want the epub-made-from-website function. Most of my work is much more text-heavy, and I like the text flow in epubs. Plus I think of pdfs as being large and annoying to work with. Of course, maybe I've not had the right pdf program.

What have others' experiences been with websites from epubs versus pdfs?

Chrome has an extension - dotepub, that works well. Also on mobile Dolphin Browser has the same type of extension.

emusan
06-01-2011, 10:35 PM
If you are of the modding sort, you can pick up a cheap netbook somewhere and install the Pixel Qi display: link (http://www.makershed.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MKPQ01)

This would be similar to the edge in that it offers both a color and e-ink option, and with some of the custom cases for netbooks that let it fold over itself its pretty neat. Though of course this will cost a lot more money than just buying an EE or PE itself, and people have said that the e-ink isn't quite the best. You also lose some multitasking ability due to it being a single screen.

I was almost contemplating doing this despite all that, until I saw the PE, and given the price difference it really wasn't that hard of a choice to make.

geckoFeet
06-01-2011, 11:44 PM
Problem with modding a netbook with a PixelQi is that you can't use a stylus on it, or at least anything except a capacitive stylus, which is sort of like a finger. The only use I can think of for those things is if you accidentally leave your fingers at home. You'd need some sort of digitizer overlay, and that would take some seriously serious modding.

emusan
06-01-2011, 11:50 PM
Problem with modding a netbook with a PixelQi is that you can't use a stylus on it, or at least anything except a capacitive stylus, which is sort of like a finger. The only use I can think of for those things is if you accidentally leave your fingers at home. You'd need some sort of digitizer overlay, and that would take some seriously serious modding.

Actually, people have been adding touchscreens to netbooks since the eee started it(I had an eee at one time that I added a touchscreen to). I don't know if anyone has done it with the PixelQi screen(or any 10" screens for that matter), but I wouldn't think it would be any different. And the screens used back then were resistive(same as tablet side of eDGe).

obsessed2
06-02-2011, 08:01 AM
I just bought an EE and two PEs so my alternative right now would have to be paper and pencil. :D

sarah11918
06-11-2011, 08:09 AM
I just bought an EE and two PEs so my alternative right now would have to be paper and pencil. :D

Unless it's a Boogie Board! Remember the mythical NoteSlate? Well, think a few notches lower tech (turn it into an etch-a-sketch that uses a stylus) and you have a Boogie Board. Was originally designed for notes, doodles. Has an "erase all" button but that's about it.

In the fall, they're coming out with a model that can save your notes. I'm really curious to see what kind of technology/interface they'll use to do so. (Have seen mention of SD card and USB to computer). The current versions sell for either $30 or $60 (depending on size). It sounds like they still intend to keep the version that saves ultra-low cost.

Count me interested as a pen and pencil replacement!
http://www.improvelectronics.com/us/en/

obsessed2
06-11-2011, 09:32 AM
Unless it's a Boogie Board! Remember the mythical NoteSlate? Well, think a few notches lower tech (turn it into an etch-a-sketch that uses a stylus) and you have a Boogie Board. Was originally designed for notes, doodles. Has an "erase all" button but that's about it.

In the fall, they're coming out with a model that can save your notes. I'm really curious to see what kind of technology/interface they'll use to do so. (Have seen mention of SD card and USB to computer). The current versions sell for either $30 or $60 (depending on size). It sounds like they still intend to keep the version that saves ultra-low cost.

Count me interested as a pen and pencil replacement!
http://www.improvelectronics.com/us/en/

Yes, I have seen the Boogie Board. They still sell them on Amazon. If they can make the upgrades you are talking about and can keep the price relatively low, maybe I won't need to resort to paper and pencil after all.

geckoFeet
06-11-2011, 10:12 AM

I'm familiar with paper and, in fact, prefer it to papyrus (which I have tried), but at home I usually use dip pens (the kind with a inkwell). This is partly practical (the older kinds, anyway - not the modern ones which are designed for graphic artists - require almost no pressure on the page, so they're good for us crapal-tunnel-syndrome sufferers). But mostly, they're fun, and make writing a pleasure. (Plus I get to interview elderly people about them, which is also fun.) I do use fountain pens when I'm away from home, since I"m not adverse to technology; and portable inkwells, which do exist, are a pain (and look rather too precious, even for me).

kennyminot
06-11-2011, 12:24 PM
You can check out my Boogie Board review here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKtxxnc3mSI).

sarah11918
06-11-2011, 12:36 PM
Nice review, kenny. The one thing I do have to take issue with in using a whiteboard as a comparison is that the whiteboard is messy. (As a leftie, that's a huge deal for me. I can only use pens with a low smudge factor, and whiteboard tech is way worse on that front.) So the fact that it doesn't smudge after writing, doesn't use any inky implements, and can be put in a sleeve and taken out in a bag (ie shopping list) unlike a whiteboard does perhaps count for more props than you've given the BB. But, I love how you finish your review by saying ppl with it on their fridge get geek cred. ;)

I'd never given the BB a second thought until they recently announced they were implementing save technology. Now I'm curious.

CheyenneDonna
06-11-2011, 07:37 PM
I'd never given the BB a second thought until they recently announced they were implementing save technology. Now I'm curious.

Me too. It doesn't look quite as exciting as the EeeNote or NoteSlate, but it does look like it may actually be for sale.

sarah11918
06-11-2011, 07:40 PM
And it's especially still on the radar since I missed out on a Canadian eBay auction today - eee Note for $159!! I was emailing the seller back and forth b/c he wanted $50 for shipping (within Canada, regular mail?!) and in the midst of doing that, someone else bought it. :(

sarah11918
06-11-2011, 10:03 PM
Has anybody seen or heard about the Onyx Boox M90 that's apparently shipping this week?

http://www.onyx-boox.com/onyx-boox-m90

http://www.onyxboox.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=30

video: http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1908678790636&oid=124236064320258&comments

Filark
06-12-2011, 03:10 AM
I've been reading about the Onyx Boox M90 (and its siblings) mostly here on MobileRead. Dulin's Books is going to carry it. Not sure if he's put the info up yet or not. Just checked -- he hasn't. There are some long threads here about the Onyx Boox M90, and somewhere I saw some Chinese demonstration videos. Couldn't find them again in a brief search. Sorry. :(

I will be very interested to read the reviews when people start receiving the real thing. :)

sarah11918
06-12-2011, 06:33 AM
Thanks, Filark. I found the threads here, and a bunch of stuff online. Apparently one who has an early unit says there are problems with the IR sensor (that can be used for navigation instead of the physical buttons or stylus) and sunlight/daylight is setting it off, making errant page turns etc.

I'm also interested to see reviews. Apparently it starts shipping in the US June 15 and will be priced at $399. The screen looks beautiful, though, eh?

geneven1
06-12-2011, 08:13 AM
I'm tempted by the boogie board even without the save feature but I'll probably wait for it.

pyxiwulf
06-12-2011, 09:29 AM
I kinda like this idea of the boogie board, but what's the point without a save feature? Doesn't that mean it's just an electronic chalkboard/one "paper" at a time use? Like the slates of historic days gone by?

Also, I was poking around and saw that there is color eink tech out there, though I've never seen a product IRL with it myself. Anyone use it? I think a color eink with internet capability would be the closest replacement to the Edge for me out of current products.

emusan
06-12-2011, 09:33 AM
Yes there are color e-ink screens, but I think the price is way to high for most people to want to buy them right now...

geckoFeet
06-12-2011, 09:53 AM
Hm .... the touchscreen Onyxes (Onyces?) use a Wacom stylus and mention the possibility of taking notes. I wonder if they can scribble on PDFs, or can be made to do so.

The list of languages they support is amusing:
English
Dutch
German
French
Spanish
Italian
Polish
Danish
Portuguese
Norwegian
Hebrew
Simplified Chinese
Svenska
Japanese
Korean
Greek

Apparently, they believe that Swedes are too stupid to recognize the name of their language in English (which, in fact, has not been my experience).

sarah11918
06-12-2011, 09:54 AM
I kinda like this idea of the boogie board, but what's the point without a save feature? Doesn't that mean it's just an electronic chalkboard/one "paper" at a time use? Like the slates of historic days gone by?

Yes. You can hang it like a whiteboard as a communal message board, on the fridge as a grocery list, or give it to kids to doodle on so they don't waste paper. I would use it for all the notes I jot down as I'm comparing flight options, or working through a math problem. As it stands now, it's simply to replace scratch paper, and at $40, I could see myself using it for only that purpose if I didn't have more sophisticated tablet devices.

But since I do, of course, there's not much need for the version that won't save.

sarah11918
06-12-2011, 09:55 AM
I wonder if they can scribble on PDFs, or can be made to do so.

Yes, they do annotate PDFs. (And scribble on ebooks etc.) What I don't yet know is how exporting is handled.

CheyenneDonna
06-12-2011, 11:06 AM
It looks like the Eee Note won't be released in the US based on this Facebook post http://www.facebook.com/asus.n.america/posts/10150331478897178
Although, the wording of the post leaves the idea of a different generation or model hanging.

kennyminot
06-12-2011, 11:51 AM
I got my eye on the Viewsonic Viewbook 730 (although, admittedly, this won't be a good solution for people who like e-ink): http://www.viewsonic.com/products/vb730.htm. Also, the HTC Flyer seems pretty awesome.

vicinc
06-12-2011, 04:52 PM
I own a Pixel Qi Notion Ink and a moded acer 250 with a Pixel QI. While Pixel Qi is fantastic for working outdoor I found is not ideal for long time reading. I still use a pocket edge, a non color nook and an Alex.

geckoFeet
06-13-2011, 01:28 PM
That's a common complaint about the Adam, that it's not so good for indoor reading. The PixelQi screen is supposed to be ok for that, at least if you turn on the backlight just a little bit. Presumably the problem is the overlay for the touch screen (plus the non-reflective plastic overlay on top of *that*. Same problem with the eDGe e-ink, though - the touchscreen overlay makes the background noticeably dimmer than that on a Kindle, even though the underlying screens are the same.

emusan
06-13-2011, 02:16 PM
I thought a wacom sensor didn't use an overlay though...

ken_jennings
06-13-2011, 02:27 PM
Maybe if I duct-taped a Kindle to that Adam ink, or the Cruz. Or a Kindle taped to a Pixel Qi Notion Ink taped to a Galaxy tablet. Yeah, that's the ticket. The three may even still weigh less than a Kno.

Last_of_the_PEs
06-13-2011, 06:54 PM
I think, at the root of this discussion is the pervasive and nagging suspicion that somewhere, somebody has the ULTIMATE tablet solution but is waiting to see how much DREK we'll buy FIRST. :)

sarah11918
06-13-2011, 07:05 PM
I think, at the root of this discussion is the pervasive and nagging suspicion that somewhere, somebody has the ULTIMATE tablet solution but is waiting to see how much DREK we'll buy FIRST. :)

Hah! I don't understand why companies won't give us the simple, electronic notebook (or notebook system) we need. I'm still convinced the EE has come closest to meeting that need.

Last_of_the_PEs
06-13-2011, 07:42 PM
I think it's because, in large companies these decisions are made by people who are usually the least qualified to make them, and if you don't think a committee can magnify the amount of STUPID contained within, you haven't fully experienced the corporate world.

... there was more to this rant, but I've learned that when the word "machine gun" creeps in, it's best to back up and end quietly... :)

Filark
06-13-2011, 08:24 PM
ROFL, Last_of!

Gecko, were you looking at the newest Kindle with the Pearl e-ink screen? My PE e-ink doesn't look any dimmer to me than my husband's so-last-year Kindle, which uses the same Vizplex (not Pearl) e-ink that's on the eDGe, I think. Actually, I just held them side by side and the PE looked brighter! :D

geckoFeet
06-13-2011, 11:00 PM
Hi, Mrs Filark Bird - yeah, I was looking at a recent Kindle, and comparing under dim lighting, and the difference was pretty stark, at least to me; it was the difference between easy to read and, um, not easy to read. But my eyesight isn't very good (I first got bifocals in the 3rd grade, so I learned the joys of geekhood very early), and my wit can be dim as well, so your mileage may definitely vary. I didn't know about the difference between the Kindle screens.

Last_of_the_PEs
06-14-2011, 02:02 AM
Fortunately, in dim light WE have the LCD screen! Ha! Compared to that, a kindle is like rubbing two sticks together. I mean, obviously apart from battery life...

Filark
06-14-2011, 03:22 AM
I got glasses in the third grade too, but not bifocals. Does that make me half as geeky as you, or twice as geeky?? :p

I used to take my glasses off and the teacher would make me put them back on. Which proves I had geekiness thrust upon me. :D

How did you come by your Geckoness, reptile sir?

What is this thread about? Oh yeah -- eDGe alternatives. I used to have a PDA, ereader and laptop which together functioned almost as well as my eDGe. Couldn't browse the internet in bed as I do now, though! ;) On the other hand I still use my laptop for its larger screen and keyboard. And for Calibre.

I'd like a cellphone that morphs into a slim tablet and ereader booklet and then again into a sturdy laptop and back into a phone as needed. But that's just me . . . .

Last_of_the_PEs
06-14-2011, 04:10 AM
I was so nearsighted I could focus on the inside of my eyelids. Too bad there wasn't anything written there. (sadly, the dog is nearsighted too)

sarah11918
06-14-2011, 05:57 AM
I'd like a cellphone that morphs into a slim tablet and ereader booklet and then again into a sturdy laptop and back into a phone as needed. But that's just me . . . .

WonderTwin power... (since someone brought up Underdog).

inkyfantastic
06-15-2011, 02:52 PM
It looks like the Eee Note won't be released in the US based on this Facebook post http://www.facebook.com/asus.n.america/posts/10150331478897178
Although, the wording of the post leaves the idea of a different generation or model hanging.

Ugh, that is beyond lame!! I wonder why they decided not to release it here? Probably because it's not an ipad...

sarah11918
06-15-2011, 02:59 PM
Ugh, that is beyond lame!! I wonder why they decided not to release it here? Probably because it's not an ipad...

It sounded as if they were working on another model, a colour one. So yes, maybe they felt a colour version could better complete with the iPad, for the wacom folks.

I have to say though, there's a poll running on tablet PC review "Would you buy this again?" and right now Yes is winning 15 - 2. The only regrets posted are not buying it sooner. So I think it's very much like the edge in that sense: the purchasers knew what they wanted, what they were getting (a wacom notebook that also happens to function as an ereader), and were pleased.

mr_ed
06-16-2011, 08:50 AM

This sounds like an interesting device! I'm gonna hafta learn more about it.

-- Ed

Last_of_the_PEs
06-16-2011, 07:16 PM
Is the EA-800 an Android device? I'd be reticent to buy something that is too proprietary.
Here's the ASUS link: http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Note/Eee_Note_EA800/
I'm also really sold on how my PE folds, protecting the screens. I hope when I buy my next tablet, it has an effective mechanism like that.

geneven1
06-16-2011, 07:20 PM
I bought a Boogie Board (couldn't resist) and it came today. Now I understand why they didn't worry about figuring out a copy feature. How often do you make copies of your scratchpad scribblings? We're talking grey writing on black background, with little artistic potential.

Still, there is something cute as heck about the thing, and I'm not returning mine. It is ideal for what I have in mind -- an endless supply of scrap paper for calculating, while I try to raise my math skills back up to where I think they should be. And no evidence left behind!

sarah11918
06-16-2011, 07:24 PM
Is the EA-800 an Android device?

No, it runs on linux, so it's very hackable. The guys at Tablet PC review forum have been working hard on it. :)

I like the dual screens and closing too. I never worry when traveling with the edge about the screens.

sarah11918
06-16-2011, 07:35 PM
Still, there is something cute as heck about the thing, and I'm not returning mine.

Most people seem to like it, as long as they only wanted it to replace scrap paper. It's a little cooler than a whiteboard, and I haven't heard any complaints about how it functions. (Just about the lack of functions.)

ken_jennings
06-17-2011, 09:55 AM
It would be nice if it were possible to download the current scratchpad scribbles as a jpeg (or png or gif) to a PC. USB would be nice. Bluetooth would be better.

Better yet, if something inexpensive like this could accept an upload from a PC it would be a cool accessory for presentations. Something like what was suggested: HERE (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137145)

ken_jennings
06-17-2011, 10:02 AM
This looks pretty cool. Running linux, and it has a wacom pen.

I would just need an appropriate android tablet and a roll of duct tape to simulate the other half of the edge.

Is there anyplace in the US selling this?

mr_ed
06-17-2011, 02:10 PM
This looks pretty cool... Is there anyplace in the US selling this?

If you mean the ASUS Note, I'm pretty sure not. But rather than go through pchome (http://search.pchome.com.tw/search/?q=asus%20note) I'd buy from one of the eBay vendors (http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=eee+note) in Taiwan. They have good reputations among eBay buyers as indicated by their feedback numbers.

-- Ed

sarah11918
06-17-2011, 02:40 PM
If you mean the ASUS Note, I'm pretty sure not. But rather than go through pchome (http://search.pchome.com.tw/search/?q=asus%20note) I'd buy from one of the eBay vendors (http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=eee+note) in Taiwan. They have good reputations among eBay buyers as indicated by their feedback numbers.

-- Ed

If the Eee Note, no they have no plans to release it outside of Taiwan and Italy. I'm not finding any spectacular deals on eBay (been watching for a while), though. PC Home is actually the cheaper option, and that's where a lot of people have received theirs from, no complaints. (Someone mentioned 6 days shipping to the west coast of Canada.)

Filark
06-24-2011, 07:03 PM
Well, the Onyx Boox M series is beginning to come in and get reviewed by MobileRead users: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127120&page=19. A quick Google search didn't find any current "official" reviews, although it did find Sarah's thread in Tablet PC Review http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/asus-eee-line/42446-asus-eee-note-ea800-vs-onyx-boox-m90.html, which is interesting. ;)

lorenzoens
06-25-2011, 09:09 PM
If the Eee Note, no they have no plans to release it outside of Taiwan and Italy. I'm not finding any spectacular deals on eBay (been watching for a while), though. PC Home is actually the cheaper option, and that's where a lot of people have received theirs from, no complaints. (Someone mentioned 6 days shipping to the west coast of Canada.)

Sarah beware of dr 900 trust me

sarah11918
06-25-2011, 09:32 PM
Sarah beware of dr 900 trust me

I hadn't even heard of that one. I'm only looking at the EA 800, but thanks for the heads up. :)

(In fact, I didn't even know what you were warning me about - at first I read it as a warning against a "Dr. 900" and thought maybe that was a message board person who had spoken favourably about the product I was considering, but whom you knew to be untrustworthy.) :)

Gunnerp245
06-26-2011, 11:34 AM
I hadn't even heard of that one. I'm only looking at the EA 800, but thanks for the heads up. :)

I believe the reference is to the ASUS DR 900.

Filark
06-26-2011, 02:27 PM
Gunner, that's a heck of a summer avatar!! :D
(I like it!! ;))

:offtopic: :p

sarah11918
07-20-2011, 09:16 AM
I'm kind of liking the Team Red avatar, now!

Oh, and Eee Note arrived. Updating firmware as we speak. :D

remedy
07-20-2011, 11:37 AM
I would just need an appropriate android tablet and a roll of duct tape to simulate the other half of the edge.

Before I bought a pocket edge I had made my own version using a 5" tablet and 5" book reader held together in a leather binder made for a day planner. The practicality of my home made version is much better considering the much longer battery life(s) and the fact it actually fit into my pocket. Not to mention the android experience (and development community) of the tablet I used is much better overall than the edge line.

Plus the contraption is modular if I ever just need one or the other device, I simply pull it out of the elastic webbing.

The trick at this point would be finding another small inexpensive android tablet, as they seem to be going extinct. The Archos 43 (currently $165 at newegg) might be ideal but is still quite expensive.

I've actually played with the EEE note a bit, just to configure it for someone at work. It's an interesting device but honestly I have never had the need to annotate pdfs which might be why I've already given away my pocket edge away and reverted to my old home-made tablet/book reader combo.

Probably my last post here come to think of it =P

Filark
07-21-2011, 04:38 AM
Good luck out in the cold, cruel world, remedy! :)

Here's the first tablet (not ereader) since the eDGe that kinda excites my interest: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/products/tablets/thinkpad/. Don't know if I'd want to do much reading on it, but it looks really nice (in theory, anyway) for everything else! Even comes with Netflix! :D

Last_of_the_PEs
07-22-2011, 02:59 AM
I'd like to spend some time with the new HP tablet running WebOS. I like my Palm Pre Plus, running WebOS 1. I bet 3 is really good. And I'm pretty fed up with Android. The whole "app doesn't run on my device" and "you can't have market" is really stupid The Android interface is not intuitive to me, and if you're going to tack something on top of Linux, just let it run LINUX.

ken_jennings
07-22-2011, 12:08 PM
I'd like to spend some time with the new HP tablet running WebOS. I like my Palm Pre Plus, running WebOS 1. I bet 3 is really good. And I'm pretty fed up with Android. The whole "app doesn't run on my device" and "you can't have market" is really stupid The Android interface is not intuitive to me, and if you're going to tack something on top of Linux, just let it run LINUX.

There aren't a lot of apps for WebOS (yet). I signed up for developer information a while ago, but was a little put off that the preferred (aka complete) development was Windows -- for a device basically running Linux? That's annoying.

I'd like to get my hands on one of those nice EEE Note EA800s and find a way mount/hold it in an executive-type portfolio with my LE1700 tablet. If reasonable communications between the two are possible then I'd have a Super Edge.

sarah11918
07-23-2011, 06:51 AM
I'd like to get my hands on one of those nice EEE Note EA800s and find a way mount/hold it in an executive-type portfolio with my LE1700 tablet. If reasonable communications between the two are possible then I'd have a Super Edge.

Wouldn't you need a forklift to carry it around? :) I'm assuming the LE1700 is comparable in weight to my M1200?

But the EEE Note is nice. A worthy addition to a gadget collection.

Gunnerp245
07-23-2011, 09:02 AM
Wouldn't you need a forklift to carry it around? :) I'm assuming the LE1700 is comparable in weight to my M1200? But the EEE Note is nice. A worthy addition to a gadget collection.

Sarah, Is this the device? :help:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPDYCUSUf4E

sarah11918
07-23-2011, 03:53 PM
Yes, that's the EEE note EA800 that I have. What I thought would be heavy was your LE1700 (not the EEE note). My Motion Computing tablet is definitely a 2-hander (or a 2-armer) for carrying around. Maybe I'm overestimating the weight of the LE1700... I'll look it up now.

AmericanDane
10-26-2011, 01:10 PM
I just received a Viewsonic Viewbook. So as comparisons I have a pocket edge (ermine), Nook Color (CM7.1), gTablet (C&C 2.2 1.5) and the new Viewbook 730.
Maybe I'll get the motivation to do a thorough comparison of the 7" devices, but here's what i noticed so far:
The VB730 is the poorest build of the 3 7" devices above. In shape and format it's very similar to the Nook Color but not nearly as solid. The Edge can't be beat for carrying around and banging around.
The VB730 has 4 things (that I know of so far) the Nook Color doesn't: 1. A camera. 2. HDMI output. 3. You can use a stylus to draw on pictures - although this might be more of a software thing as I'm not sure what kind of screen the VB730 has. 4. Fully functioning Bluetooth.
The Nook Color has things the VB730 doesn't have: 1. That higher res, beautiful, IPS screen. 2. A very active development community. 3. multi-touch, smooth as silk.
The Pocket Edge has things neither of these devices have: 1. separate ink reader. 2. Best packaging and case in the world. 3. Best wireless signal of the 3. But the edge has some weaknesses and the biggest has to be the screen on the tablet side.

I was really looking forward to the VB730 but, at this point, I'm a little disappointed. Viewsonic, as they did with the g Tablet, took a pretty good piece of hardward and managed to get some high school kids to build the firmware for it. Ok, that's an exaggeration, but, seriously, even though it's 2.2 android and pretty modern hardware, the applications it comes with seem clunky. To be fair, the Nook Color offered nothing other than reading and a crippled email capability in stock, and even the PE stock software isn't very good. Unfortunately, so far, I see no one has built a custom rom and souped this puppy up.

If I had to buy one of these today, it would be a Nook Color because of the screen primarily. If the PE could have an improved tablet screen it would win. If the VB730 gets a smoother and slicker rom implementation it could win because of it's expanded capabilities like HDMI and the camera (skype video is a big issue with me).

If you like the feel of quality then the NC or PE are your devices - and maybe the Kindle Fire will make all of this totally irrelevant as if someone gets a custom rom onto the fire, it should be the tablet of choice for most (I think).

DianNC
10-26-2011, 02:12 PM
I'm happy with my NC and PE. I need to root the NC, just haven't done it from laziness.

The PE for $80 was a steal -- I'm loving this little gadget!

The Kindle Fire not having a card slot was the dealbreaker for me.

Franky
10-26-2011, 02:56 PM
I bought myself a Notionink Adam. Im serious impressed with it. Very funtional. My eDGe is still superb to it, simply becaus of the dual screen. i find this still the best. Unfortunatey we wont get any software updates anymore. I tried to find someone at tabletrom to take a look at it. Maybe im lucky to find some guys to make an update.