View Full Version : Requiescat In Pace, enTourage

Batman Jr.
06-01-2011, 03:04 AM
After a valiant, months-long, struggle, the enTourage eDGe forums appear to have passed away quietly at approximately 1:00 a.m. CDT, June 1, 2011. The patient, who was surrounded by a host of loving posts at the time of its passing, made the following last testatment:

Safari can’t open the page.
Safari can’t open the page “http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/forum.php” because the server unexpectedly dropped the connection. This sometimes occurs when the server is busy. Wait for a few minutes, and then try again.

No next of kin can be located at this time. :sad2:

North19
06-01-2011, 08:45 AM
Sad but certainly expected. I'm glad you were there to witness it.

kennyminot
06-01-2011, 09:05 AM
And so it goes.

borisb
06-01-2011, 09:26 AM
<removes hat and takes a moment>

invader zim
06-01-2011, 09:31 AM
Boris,
If I may offer a few (note, few) words of encouragement I was listed as 'wdcorbitt' on the edge forums, and have since tried to back up all the conversations on the forums. I only got as far as development and got NONE of the general discussions (which I realize were many), but you may look through them at www.blog.urrooftop.com and if you have any backed up I would love to log them.
Thanks,
Zim

sarah11918
06-01-2011, 09:37 AM
Thanks for hanging in there, Batman Jr.

geckoFeet
06-01-2011, 12:25 PM
Unfortunately, if you take the company as a whole, rather than just their products, it seems more like suicide than anything else. And, considering the forum is back up as of this writing (although that's presumably temporary), they don't seem to be competent even at that.

It would have been possible to make a graceful exit (does anybody know whether we're going to get the promised release version of Ermine?), but they're not doing that.

Batman Jr.
06-01-2011, 12:41 PM
After a valiant, months-long, struggle, the enTourage eDGe forums appear to have passed away quietly at approximately 1:00 a.m. CDT, June 1, 2011. The patient, who was surrounded by a host of loving posts at the time of its passing, made the following last testatment:

Safari can’t open the page.
Safari can’t open the page “http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/forum.php” because the server unexpectedly dropped the connection. This sometimes occurs when the server is busy. Wait for a few minutes, and then try again.

No next of kin can be located at this time. :sad2:

In a stunning turn of events this morning, while being prepared for burial, the forums stirred and proclaimed, "The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated." :oops2:

sarah11918
06-01-2011, 12:50 PM
“http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/forum.php”

Have you tried clicking on that link? Apparently it makes a difference if the URL is parsed with the quotation mark at the end vs. without. I thought someone was REALLY having a laugh with us b/c of the first pic to load until I tried without the quotation marks. Just a little NSFW.

Last_of_the_PEs
06-01-2011, 12:52 PM
I was just on a minute ago... and I have another browser tab that JUST connected with no problem, so Entourageedge forum hasn't DIED yet.

If they posted a shutdown "A Thank You", I'm sure they WILL turn the servers off for good, probably by the end of the week at the latest.

Don't know why people are getting failed connects now.

Last_of_the_PEs
06-01-2011, 12:55 PM
Oh yeah! It's a party on the Entourage Forum!

emusan
06-01-2011, 12:59 PM
Have you tried clicking on that link? Apparently it makes a difference if the URL is parsed with the quotation mark at the end vs. without. I thought someone was REALLY having a laugh with us b/c of the first pic to load until I tried without the quotation marks. Just a little NSFW.

ROFL :rofl::rofl:

These are not the forums you are looking for.

I think someone else did the same thing once before.

Batman Jr.
06-01-2011, 01:02 PM

I did try clicking the link from within my message before I turned in around 4:00 a.m. here, and kept getting the error/timeout message; it does open now - Based on the content, perhaps the server is just a bit bashful(?) :blush:

Last_of_the_PEs
06-01-2011, 01:07 PM
I wonder where THESE servers are? It's 9:05 here, Batman just posted at 4:02PM? They must be in England -- SEVEN HOURS ahead of me. But if everything starts at GMT, does England HAVE more than one time zone?

Batman Jr.
06-01-2011, 01:11 PM
I wonder where THESE servers are? It's 9:05 here, Batman just posted at 4:02PM? They must be in England -- SEVEN HOURS ahead of me. But if everything starts at GMT, does England HAVE more than one time zone?

Here (Central Daylight Time) my post would have been at 11:02 a.m. - You must be Pacific Time I take it?

EDIT - Should have been "11:02 a.m." instead of "1:02 a.m."

Batman Jr.
06-01-2011, 01:21 PM

I did try clicking the link from within my message before I turned in around 4:00 a.m. here, and kept getting the error/timeout message; it does open now - Based on the content, perhaps the server is just a bit bashful(?) :blush:

Weird - I see now what you mean about omitting the quotation marks, now it opens to the "real" forum. Guess like I picked the wrong week to apply for the Pulitzer...:smack:

ken_jennings
06-01-2011, 02:38 PM
Is my "Wildest Dreams, Within Reason" the official SDK? That's a rather odd cover for a technical manual. Though knowing geeks I can see where they would think the manual needs extra encouragement to ensure developers RTFM.

(If doctoring the URL with a double quote makes such a difference I wonder how many lame SQL injections are possible on the site.)

sarah11918
06-01-2011, 02:44 PM
Is my "Wildest Dreams, Within Reason" the official SDK?

It may be early to call it, but I'm going to say post of the day!

geckoFeet
06-01-2011, 03:17 PM
Sarah is, not surprisingly, right, but a little further down the page is: What Dying People Want.

They're mocking us; I know it.

5thWiggle
06-01-2011, 03:33 PM
Sarah is, not surprisingly, right, but a little further down the page is: What Dying People Want.

They're mocking us; I know it.

"Why do Fools Fall in Love" was also some mocking.

P.S. I thought gekos had sticky feet, not dusty....

glenj
06-01-2011, 04:58 PM
Now I'm REALLY confused.

If I go to the forums, I get a page listing a series of eBooks.

If my fiance goes to the forums, she gets the actual forums.

Anyone else getting this dichotomy?

North19
06-01-2011, 05:14 PM
I get the page listings for ebooks; can't get the forums.

Batman Jr.
06-01-2011, 05:17 PM
Now I'm REALLY confused.

If I go to the forums, I get a page listing a series of eBooks.

If my fiance goes to the forums, she gets the actual forums.

Anyone else getting this dichotomy?

I can't test the dichotomy right now, but when either using the link I posted earlier or using the "History" tab, I am getting a different result than I had previously.

sarah11918
06-01-2011, 05:25 PM
Apologies, I spoke too soon. I'm getting the list of books now.

sarah11918
06-01-2011, 05:28 PM
It appears that I can hit threads directly (if I follow the link in my history) but any attempt to hit the main forum page, a subforum (like General discussions) or use search (new posts; posts within the last 24 hrs) gives me the book list.

I'm guessing that THIS is now the end of the forums, as the pieces are being taken away bit by bit. (But, they're not going to remove every single post/thread which is why those can still be hit.)

geckoFeet
06-01-2011, 05:29 PM
My second reaction was "Who cares?" My first reaction was to see if I get the list of books, too, which I do.

Seems that the site has sustained an attack of entropy.

sarah11918
06-01-2011, 05:34 PM
And now I believe that hitting individual threads was the result of caching. I made one last valiant attempt to "turn out the light" but was denied (taken to the page of books).

That's all she wrote! At least I somehow feel better seeing the end myself.

emusan
06-01-2011, 05:37 PM
It could also have been due to the time it takes to delete all those pages...

Adiposus Maximus
06-01-2011, 05:44 PM
And it won't let me register the new pocket edge I got in the mail today...getting a mysterious "server error". great timing!

geckoFeet
06-01-2011, 05:57 PM
I think you should phone them to ask about registering - they did promise to keep that up.

sarah11918
06-01-2011, 06:01 PM
The funny thing is, I can still add those books to my cart. :)

geckoFeet
06-01-2011, 06:03 PM
You can add whatever's in your wildest dreams to your cart - within reason

p.s. to 5thWiggle, who wrote:

I thought gekos had sticky feet, not dusty....

self-cleaning, actually http://www.pnas.org/content/102/2/385.full
(there are some cute videos of geckos getting rid of talcum powder, although not at that link), but dustyfeet is a translation of a Greek word meaning someone from the country, a rube or hick. Long story (I'm not from the country.)

emusan
06-01-2011, 06:20 PM
There is no real need or reason to register as far as I know, without the forum and the store registration doesn't really do much of anything... I think you can skip that step by pressing home or something similar, you will have to calibrate the e-ink in settings after that though...

Adiposus Maximus
06-01-2011, 06:27 PM
Yeah, it allows you to skip that step. I think the Adobe registration went through, but who knows.

Last_of_the_PEs
06-01-2011, 06:37 PM
So, it's REALLY over now, and all that's left is basically an ad for Adobe...

emusan
06-01-2011, 06:41 PM
So, it's REALLY over now, and all that's left is basically an ad for Adobe...

The adobe registration should still work, and will allow access to any ebook that uses Adobe DRM, which is gaining popularity now with google books signing on to it...

larka
06-01-2011, 07:51 PM
I got all the agony: "list of books", not able to go on the forum at all at around 3 pm CT today. I just registered another device to my account and upgraded to Ermine. But I wanted to re-register it to my friends (it is hers) yesterday with no luck. BTW, there still PE for 170$ available on buy.com. And I ordered 3 USB to LAN converters from simplesolutions, order went through, but... I thought I would stock up on those. Anyone I show device to wants one - I sold it to my friends (russian-speaking retired couple), my daughter elementary school teacher and my optometrist even though I warned them about company going out of business. Go figure...