Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-31-2011, 01:55 PM   #1
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Zinio now available for Honeycomb tablets

http://www.androidcentral.com/zinio-...ilable-android

something tells me by August all this "Well Honeycomb just doesn't have the apps" is going to start to feel like a "dated" argument from the Apple crowd.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:35 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Wow! That means Zinio is now available for 0.3% of all Android users. What about the rest of us?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2011, 04:07 PM   #3
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Wow! That means Zinio is now available for 0.3% of all Android users. What about the rest of us?

thought you had honecomb running on your nook color?

by the way don't know if you heard but the Samsung Galaxy Player has been priced, not good news, 8G for $269 but it is 5inch screen with sd card slot. Looks pretty sharp though.

thought of you when I read it this morning.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:25 PM   #4
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I think the rest of us watch xda devs or ppcgeeks. I haven't tried it yet, but there are some hacks posted later in the thread if it doesn't work right off the bat.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:43 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
thought you had honecomb running on your nook color?

by the way don't know if you heard but the Samsung Galaxy Player has been priced, not good news, 8G for $269 but it is 5inch screen with sd card slot. Looks pretty sharp though.

thought of you when I read it this morning.
No, I'm still running AutoNooter w/ 2.1

Thanks for the info. I'm prone to go for the 4" model because it'll fit my shirt pocket better. Amazon had that one priced at $229, but pulled it. I must say that I'm no longer as enthusiastic as I once was. The technology is already a year old. At this point, Samsung should be releasing a dual-core player instead of recycling their year-old phone.

Now I have to do the CM7 bit just to get Zinio. Gotta think that one over.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2011, 01:54 PM   #6
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I have Zinio running on Android 2.2 on my Streak since November. The Galaxy TAB installation file works fine (Newspaper Direct, Kobe, Zinio)
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:04 PM   #7
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
I was disappointed to find that not all of the magazines were available though. It hadn't even occurred to me that the different tablets would have different magazine availability.
[This was with the earlier unofficial release, perhaps it has changed now]

Last edited by murraypaul; 06-01-2011 at 03:56 PM.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:58 AM   #8
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
I was disappointed to find that not all of the magazines were available though. It hadn't even occurred to me that the different tablets would have different magazine availability.
[This was with the earlier unofficial release, perhaps it has changed now]
I haven't really tried it, however, if you buy the magazine through your PC (even though you originally cannot see it on your tablet) is it then accessible on your tablet?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:42 AM   #9
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
I haven't really tried it, however, if you buy the magazine through your PC (even though you originally cannot see it on your tablet) is it then accessible on your tablet?
No, there are magazines (National Geographic was the one I had bought) which are available on the tablet-that-must-not-be-named, but which are not available on the Android app. I've bought them, but they just don't appear in my library on the NC.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:04 PM   #10
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Hmm, I'm wondering how stable Zinio is going to be.

Their iPad app is dismal and keeps crashing the whole device requiring a restart.

Given how big the current Android tablet Market is compared to IOS I don't have much faith in their development right now.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 03:44 AM   #11
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I don't really understand why anyone would want to read a magazine on a small screen
device.

The "Zinio Reader" came with the Eee Pad (Transformer) and seems to be working fine
on that, so far. I even got used to the way it sharpens the page or fine tunes its
display for half a second after the page turn.

Reading magazines was one of the reasons I had for getting a tablet to go with my
Ectaco jetBook Lite for ereading. The Zinio Reader seems to be filling that function
quite well.

Luck;
Ken

PS; Zinio doesn't cover all the Magazine type reading I am looking for though, I'm hoping
that more of the online Magazines will adopt Honeycomb Apps soon.

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 06-19-2011 at 03:50 AM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 03:24 PM   #12
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
I don't really understand why anyone would want to read a magazine on a small screen
device.
Well. For lack of other possibilities, maybe ? But really, I am delighted zinio and lekiosque (another apps for us frenchies) exist at all. I pay much less with zinio or le kiosque for my mags online than I would for the paper versions, I get them on time, and I get them. The paper versions arrive with delays of good a week, if I can order them at all, and are really expensive at the airport or at the international shops. With zinio I don't have that problem anymore, I can get all the ones I love and for one hour at a time, I am in France reading my mag with my café and learning all the new gossips.......
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:01 PM   #13
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
device.
I'll agree with Aceflor that it can be due to a lack of other options.

Over the last Year and Half, I've been constantly been travelling, and udually in countries where English is not the first language.

English Books and Magazines are in short supply or are often too expensive if available. Ebook's and E-Magazines can help with availability and Price.

I'm currently not using Zinio for this currently due to the previously mentioned instability on the iPad, but I do pay for a unlimited Subscription on PressReader and can get number of current news and business magazines through them along with the 4-6 daily papers I read pretty regularly ( and most of those papers are impossible to get at least half of the time).

It can also be convenient as if the Apps are good, and multi-platform, you can read them whenever you have the chance whether you remember to bring that mag with you or can buy it locally.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:45 AM   #14
mtwd
mtwd has learned how to read e-booksmtwd has learned how to read e-booksmtwd has learned how to read e-booksmtwd has learned how to read e-booksmtwd has learned how to read e-booksmtwd has learned how to read e-booksmtwd has learned how to read e-booksmtwd has learned how to read e-books

Device: Galaxy tab/SE Xperia X10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post

I made the mistake of buying a back issue of a magazine then I found out it wasn't in the android format. I then did some reading on the site and found a comment that they would be going through the back catalogue but it will take time.

Last time I logged into the site I noticed that if you go to the individual magazines it shows the formats that the magazine is available in. So that is at least one step in the right direction. You can now buy through the PC knowing where you will be able to read it.
mtwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:41 PM   #15
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
Hmm, I'm wondering how stable Zinio is going to be.

Their iPad app is dismal and keeps crashing the whole device requiring a restart.

Given how big the current Android tablet Market is compared to IOS I don't have much faith in their development right now.
I don't like the Zinio app very much myself: No bookmarks, idiotic free magazines filling my library, ...
But: It never has crashed on iPad so far.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote