View Full Version : official forums going down tonight.

emusan
05-31-2011, 12:09 PM
Posted by an employee of entourage:

Dear eDGe Community, We greatly appreciate your support over the previous year but we unfortunately we must come to an end today. In the coming hours we will be shutting down the forum site. We suggest you consolidate the community back to one of the original locations where you started such as MobileRead or Google. You have been a fabulous group to work with. Special thanks go to Boris (who we re-iterate has never been an employee) who has definitely become a great friend to all eDGe users. Best of luck to all of you. Entourage Systems.

I'll try to get up my forum backup(made Saturday) by tonight, this one should be much more complete.

North19
05-31-2011, 12:28 PM
Anyone have any answers on where (if anywhere) we go for service? And whether update services are going down as well?

North19
05-31-2011, 12:29 PM
(Thank you Emusan for your work on the backup)

borisb
05-31-2011, 12:33 PM
Anyone have any answers on where (if anywhere) we go for service? And whether update services are going down as well?

North19, the company is out of business. There will be no updates, downloads, website, support, warranty, service, etc.

From now on, you'll have to visit these forums where other eDGe users will be able to help you.

Handle your eDGe with great care, because once it breaks, that'll be it.

North19
05-31-2011, 12:37 PM
How frustrating that on 5/21 when they said "In order for new users to register their device and purchase e-books from other sources, the registration server that controls the registration information of the device will remain online for the foreseeable future." they didn't seem to know that "the foreseeable future" would be less than two weeks, then.

Given that I won't have access to my full-size eDGe in the mail to register it until later this week, and given that I spent over $300 for it, I'm hoping that registration isn't actually essential for anything, or I will have a very expensive paperweight.

emusan
05-31-2011, 12:42 PM
registration was only useful to gain access to the store and forums, with those gone you will just have to skip the step in the setup(you will then have to go and calibrate the reader screen in settings as I think that step comes after registration). Also, they didn't mention anything about the registration, just the forums, so it may well stay up(hopefully).

Last_of_the_PEs
05-31-2011, 02:05 PM
It's eery when a corporation goes down. I've been there for several. Different departments invariably have a different view to reality and usually I.T. is the most hopeful since I.T. almost never has any hand in the collapse. But they're given the most hopeful misinformation because it's essential to keep it running as long as possible to close things out.

In short, those who ran the servers might have been told anything, or not told anything at all and just did their best to provide information from the chaos.

The good news is that those who did so much to make the Entourage a great platform will move on to apply their skills to other projects and products that some of us might buy.

Franky
05-31-2011, 02:30 PM
North19, the company is out of business. There will be no updates, downloads, website, support, warranty, service, etc.

From now on, you'll have to visit these forums where other eDGe users will be able to help you.

Handle your eDGe with great care, because once it breaks, that'll be it.

Basicly, the only thing we can do is getting yourself a spare eDGe :thumbsup:. It's interesting to see that in Europe they still sell them and act as if nothing is happening. If you got a problem, they claim that they service that. :chinscratch:

Now, when I got my spare one, I need to register that. How will that go? And will I be able to upgrade to Ermine from the file I downloaded on my PC?

emusan
05-31-2011, 02:37 PM
Basicly, the only thing we can do is getting yourself a spare eDGe :thumbsup:. It's interesting to see that in Europe they still sell them and act as if nothing is happening. If you got a problem, they claim that they service that. :chinscratch:

Now, when I got my spare one, I need to register that. How will that go? And will I be able to upgrade to Ermine from the file I downloaded on my PC?

As I said above registration is not necessary, and there are a few guides around here(and on the official forums) on how to upgrade with the file you downloaded. I think you just have to place the update.zip(rename it if it is different) on the root directory of a USB stick and place that in the eDGe, turn off the eDGe and then turn back on while holding the rotate and menu buttons(you will need to hold them for about 7 seconds to begin the update process).

Franky
05-31-2011, 02:56 PM
Darn, I'm getting old. You're right, you did describe that, Emusan. Just missed it.

geckoFeet
05-31-2011, 06:30 PM
Just in time for me to miss enjoying my banning - seems that they were monitoring the forum. Never mind all the problems people were having with the machines or the company, or the many questions they could have answered but ignored. I got banned for "violating forum rules," which I guess means I shouldn't have posted in Latin. (mister_ed posted in Greek, but left off all the diacritics, so he's, um, off the hook).

Congratulations to cheyennedonna on her scholarship..

sarah11918
05-31-2011, 06:36 PM
I shouldn't have posted in Latin.

That's just UNRULY!

emusan
05-31-2011, 06:43 PM
that must have been due to an autoban, I'm quite sure that they don't moderate the forum anymore, as some of the posts lately have been a bit vulgar(not to mention certain users avatars).

tiatrenee
05-31-2011, 08:44 PM
Well this doesn't surprise me....the site going down. I saw it coming yesterday when I couldn't get a login screen. It is such a shame.....I just got my PE last week. One of the last one's that Amazon had for under $200. So far I'm not sorry....hope I remain as such. You guys on this forum are great....thank goodness you are here!!!

yugami
05-31-2011, 09:19 PM
Someone should contact the admin and beg for their source code. They have nothing to lose giving it away.

ken_jennings
05-31-2011, 09:58 PM
I realized I had just made my 512th post on the entourage site (a nicely geeky, base 2 number), so called it quits there.

I had saved off a couple of my helpful threads as HTML, to repost them here when I locate one of them round tuits.

Reading threads here earlier today I saw a wizardly guru has been dissecting the kernel and found some eInk related code. Looking forward to the juicy details.

sarah11918
05-31-2011, 10:08 PM
I realized I had just made my 512th post on the entourage site (a nicely geeky, base 2 number), so called it quits there.

Also the cube of the sum of its digits. Very nicely geeky indeed!

Last_of_the_PEs
05-31-2011, 10:12 PM
If enough of the developers have the code squirreled away that the source of the leak can't be detected, it'll get out. But it remains a corporate asset, or a licensed product they can't "give away" officially I'm sure.

emusan
05-31-2011, 10:45 PM

I had saved off a couple of my helpful threads as HTML, to repost them here when I locate one of them round tuits.

Reading threads here earlier today I saw a wizardly guru has been dissecting the kernel and found some eInk related code. Looking forward to the juicy details.

dang, just passed 64 a few days ago, I'll have to hit 128 before the end of the night ;)

geckoFeet
05-31-2011, 11:31 PM
that must have been due to an autoban, I'm quite sure that they don't moderate the forum anymore, as some of the posts lately have been a bit vulgar(not to mention certain users avatars).

You're right about their not moderating the forum (which I wish they did, not to keep it civil, but to answer our questions). (In fact, they did promise to keep an eye on the Ermine board, but I've never heard of anyone ever getting any feedback from their comments there.)

It appears that my banning was the result of a third-party complaint that went awry. I guess it's good to know that there are living beings still at Entourage, but they seem to be running on reflex rather than brain power.

sarah11918
05-31-2011, 11:43 PM
It appears that my banning was the result of a third-party complaint that went awry.

I have to admit to having used the "report post" feature in the past, and perhaps a little recently, too... It's been my experience that they do respond if they are alerted to a post. So I don't know how closely they monitor the forums, but there is someone whose attention can be summoned.

What they choose to do after attention has been called to a thread is up to them. We all know and love gecko's witty contributions to threads, but perhaps if just one of them is seen in an otherwise sketchy thread, less-informed people might jump to the wrong conclusions about gecko's position in the community. I would not be surprised if that happened here.

I am quite certain there's no language auto-ban. I, more than anyone, keep running into that darn language filter over there, but I've never been hit with anything more than a few asterisks.

The important thing is that gecko is here!

Filark
06-01-2011, 12:08 AM
We must have our fix of reptile goodness! :D

Last_of_the_PEs
06-01-2011, 01:37 AM
Hmmm..... I last posted at 9:32pm PST. So the forum went past midnight eastern time. Sort of like being the last one on the deck of the Titanic. (or the S.S. Minnow)

Dcubed
06-01-2011, 04:00 AM
Waaaah! I ALMOST made it back to the US for the Beta Ermine dl, sigh. I'll be in the US the 25th of this month. Now, I can't ever upgrade to Ermine. Can I????

Gunnerp245
06-01-2011, 08:11 AM
Waaaah! I ALMOST made it back to the US for the Beta Ermine dl, sigh. I'll be in the US the 25th of this month. Now, I can't ever upgrade to Ermine. Can I????

Yes, there is a thread here (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134237)that points to ermine. Plus many people likely downloaded it!
:thumbsup:

Edit: I see you found the thread.

kennyminot
06-01-2011, 09:07 AM
Very strangely, I was at a funeral the day this happened.

paula-t
06-01-2011, 09:21 AM
That's just UNRULY!

Yeah. WIth all the many questions pending, waiting for their attention, they come up just to ban. And a reptile, of all creatures! Where was the HSUS while all this was happening?, I wonder.

Anyway, now they can dig their own rules into their Lorem Ipsums.

invader zim
06-01-2011, 09:35 AM
emusan,
I would like to see where your backups are. I can help from my site where I opened a forum of the backed up content directly off the entourageedge.com/forums site.
Mine is at blog.urrooftop.com for anyone's use. Would love to get anybody's help to begin filling in the huge gaps. I was unable to get ANY of the general discussion threads - dang entourage for closing DOH BART! I was listed as wdcorbitt on the edge forums, but have tried to backup as much as possible.
Zim

emusan
06-01-2011, 11:35 AM
emusan,
I would like to see where your backups are. I can help from my site where I opened a forum of the backed up content directly off the entourageedge.com/forums site.
Mine is at blog.urrooftop.com for anyone's use. Would love to get anybody's help to begin filling in the huge gaps. I was unable to get ANY of the general discussion threads - dang entourage for closing DOH BART! I was listed as wdcorbitt on the edge forums, but have tried to backup as much as possible.
Zim

yes, see the thread here: link (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134659). The topic still says somewhat, but as far as I can tell this newer one is complete. I will be creating a torrent soon in case you want to view it offline as well. The way you seem to be backing them up looks like its going to take awhile lol...

Adiposus Maximus
06-01-2011, 05:56 PM
You're right about their not moderating the forum (which I wish they did, not to keep it civil, but to answer our questions). (In fact, they did promise to keep an eye on the Ermine board, but I've never heard of anyone ever getting any feedback from their comments there.)

It appears that my banning was the result of a third-party complaint that went awry. I guess it's good to know that there are living beings still at Entourage, but they seem to be running on reflex rather than brain power.

The second time I got banned for being previously banned, it happened immediately after I confessed to being Chubulor in a PM to someone I thought was trustworthy with that information. So I guess the PMs weren't really private either.

sarah11918
06-01-2011, 05:59 PM
^ Now that's distressing to hear.

emusan
06-01-2011, 06:19 PM
I think its pretty fair to say that there is very little that is private on the internet...

geckoFeet
06-01-2011, 06:20 PM
The second time I got banned for being previously banned, it happened immediately after I confessed to being Chubulor in a PM to someone I thought was trustworthy with that information. So I guess the PMs weren't really private either.

PMs in a forum can always be read by the administrator; it's sad that they were taking time to do that rather than working on their product. It's also sad that they were illiterate enough that they couldn't figure out you were the same person by comparing the two logon names.

All this sadness makes me sad.

Adiposus Maximus
06-01-2011, 06:24 PM
PMs in a forum can always be read by the administrator; it's sad that they were taking time to do that rather than working on their product. It's also sad that they were illiterate enough that they couldn't figure out you were the same person by comparing the two logon names.

All this sadness makes me sad.

They also had my IP address information, which I made no effort to conceal. After a few weeks I got cocky and thought they didn't care. I was wrong.

By the way, the PM in question was addressed to you...so for a while I thought you were an Entourage spy.

geckoFeet
06-01-2011, 06:37 PM
Ah - you caught me. I was an Entourage spy. I banned myself so that I'd have plausible deniability. I didn't realize, though, that nothing Entourage did had to be plausible. We can call this the Cake-Is-Indeed-A-Lie effect.

I also (seriously) don't remember receiving any PMs from you - in fact, didn't your second incarnation predate my appearance there?

Adiposus Maximus
06-01-2011, 06:45 PM
I don't know the timeline...Corpulent One's banning occurred on "Snow's last day" iirc, another reason I felt safe. I'm pretty sure the PM would have vanished once I was banned (it was literally minutes after I sent it that I got the screen of death).

geckoFeet
06-01-2011, 07:06 PM
Maybe they were using some sort of filter to screen for forbidden words such as **** or ***** . (By a coincidence, those are what some of my passwords look like!)

What a lamentable waste of resources.

Dcubed
06-03-2011, 01:41 AM
Yes, there is a thread here (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134237)that points to ermine. Plus many people likely downloaded it!
:thumbsup:

Edit: I see you found the thread.

Thank you! I'll be trying it as soon as I get home. I sure hope it works :o.

Alexander Turcic
06-07-2011, 03:06 PM
Archive of the official forums: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=242

emusan
06-07-2011, 03:48 PM
Archive of the official forums: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=242

how did you download it/how did you make it integrate so well with the forums? If you don't mine me asking...

Alexander Turcic
06-07-2011, 03:50 PM
how did you download it/how did you make it integrate so well with the forums? If you don't mine me asking...

Don't mind at all. We received some help from Entourage. :thumbsup:

emusan
06-07-2011, 03:56 PM

cool, so they are still alive after all(at least slightly)... You wouldn't happen to know about any last second SDK and/or final versions of ermine would you? Thanks again!

Alexander Turcic
06-07-2011, 04:06 PM
cool, so they are still alive after all(at least slightly)... You wouldn't happen to know about any last second SDK and/or final versions of ermine would you? Thanks again!

I am afraid I don't know. :o Will check.

Batman Jr.
06-07-2011, 04:06 PM

:thanks:

Thanks!

Alexander Turcic
06-07-2011, 04:24 PM
You wouldn't happen to know about any last second SDK and/or final versions of ermine would you?

From what I've heard there isn't anything newer than what has already been released.

:thanks:

Thanks!

No problem. :cool:

lorenzoens
06-07-2011, 08:08 PM
From what I've heard there isn't anything cool:

Gosh, Dr. Turcic :iloveyou:
but now? Do you realize hom many of us are waiting news from you, and we always will?
:(

Why would an Entourage employee be in touch with you, helping you recovering the whole forum, and feeling not the duty to give us some damn info about a possibile SDK, or some kind of support.

(rethoric question: do people at enTourage hate the Edges, and they want 'em dead and forgotten asap?)

Gunnerp245
06-07-2011, 09:16 PM

Well, I must say that I never expected it.:2thumbsup
And am totally blown away!
:thanks:enTourage.

And Alex, Mobileread ROCKS!

glow
06-07-2011, 11:12 PM
This is totally great! Thanks. We felt like a part of our history had been lost, and all that valuable information -- now restored to us.

Many thanks to MobileRead and enTourage for making this happen!

JBrondos
06-10-2011, 01:15 AM
Just tonight, I discovered that the eDGE forum is history. I thought I'd try out MobileRead and see if any familiar enTourage sympathizers were haunting this site.

Gunnerp245
06-11-2011, 07:55 AM
Just tonight, I discovered that the eDGE forum is history. I thought I'd try out MobileRead and see if any familiar enTourage sympathizers were haunting this site.

Welcome!
Everyone is here, or nearly so.:thumbsup:

sarah11918
06-11-2011, 09:11 AM
Welcome!
Everyone is here, or nearly so.:thumbsup:

As long as you're not UNRULY! ;)

Gunnerp245
06-11-2011, 12:40 PM
As long as you're not UNRULY! ;)

@sarah

You are definetly 'not' unruly! :alien:
:)

obsessed2
06-11-2011, 12:56 PM
@sarah

You are definetly 'not' unruly! :alien:
:)

I wouldn't be too sure of that. Sarah and half of the other Edge forum members managed to get themselves banned from that other Edge forum. Of course, from what I saw (I never joined it) who can blame them. :2thumbsup

sarah11918
06-11-2011, 12:58 PM
So as not to let the topic drift into unseemly territory, let's just say that as I am not unruly, I must therefore rule. :)

Filark
06-11-2011, 03:30 PM
So as not to let the topic drift into unseemly territory, let's just say that as I am not unruly, I must therefore rule. :)

:rofl: :p :rofl: :thumbsup:

Last_of_the_PEs
06-11-2011, 04:27 PM
I'd suggest that the opposite of unruly would be obedient, but that might delve into a different sort of unseemly territory... :)

But returning to the thread topic, yes, it seems most of the EE forum crew have found their way here, as has the archive, so apart from being cut loose from the mother-ship, we're still flying.

geckoFeet
06-11-2011, 07:13 PM
It's way too formulaic to ask anybody who's not here to identity themselves, but I do have to point out that Sarah is never unruly, because she's Canadian. I haven't been banned from the other eDgE forum because I've never been on it, but I did have the distinction of being banned from the official forum, although only on the day before it shut down, so it's not that much of a distinction. It was sort of touching that they attended to little niceties such as that, although I would have preferred a release version of Ermine, if they had any extra time on their hands.

ken_jennings
06-13-2011, 03:22 PM
From what I saw, one could get banned from that other site by merely posting. I think in one day that site banned more Edge users than the official Entourage Edge site had in its entire existence.

I've only enough time to be a-readin' and a-postin' in one place. That be here.

kennyminot
06-13-2011, 03:57 PM
That forum currently has two participants: the main guy, who apparently can't deal with people recommending Bible applications, and any poor sap who happens to stumble into the forum looking for help. I got banned for calling him a twit.

Last_of_the_PEs
06-13-2011, 04:15 PM
>>>:offtopic: Yes, I'm sure many of us tried the "other forum". I too wondered at the rant that broke out in the "favorite apps" thread. At first, it was disappointing, then as it increased in vitriol, it became openly offensive. And with the "moderator" being the most offensive, it turns out that you moderate the moderator with your mouse, by selecting a different link.

If there were anything there that isn't here (apart from irrational hate) it might be worth lurking occasionally, but with most of the eDGe user-base here, why would there be?

It seems Emusan's original suggestion was valid -- that another forum is not necessarily beneficial. Predictably, he got banned for suggesting it.
:offtopic:<<<

With the archive here, and the Wiki begun, this active forum should provide all eDGe users with good support AND peaceful fellowship.

ivanjt
06-13-2011, 05:23 PM
I can't join the club yet because I've not been banned so far, but I stopped posting when the row blew up and now only check it via RSS feed.

Filark
06-13-2011, 09:01 PM
I admit I've been posting there on occasion. It catches some new people who need more than one opinion on things, so I have broken down and contributed.

While I am offended by some of what the moderator has said/done in the past, it seems he (I'm guessing not female) genuinely wants to help people with their eDGes and is providing a substantial service to the people who find his forum first.

One thing to note: The enTourage home page now points people to MobileRead for forum fellowship. :)

emusan
06-13-2011, 09:55 PM
I admit I've been posting there on occasion. It catches some new people who need more than one opinion on things, so I have broken down and contributed.

lol I saw that, I was a bit surprised that you haven't yet been banned for mentioning these forums(its what got me banned the first and third time lol).

Also, Could you ask the user with the youtube problem if he is using the Tube app or trying to visit youtube.com itself, and if he has tried installing the google youtube app?

lol I'm still the most active user over there... I try and PM the answers to peoples questions rofl. Though I kinda stopped after a recent set of PM's he sent me...

Last_of_the_PEs
06-14-2011, 02:26 AM
Emusan, are you still poking that admin with a stick? You must be the kind of guy who'd give a Chihuahua a double espresso before taunting it!

emusan
06-14-2011, 11:00 AM
Emusan, are you still poking that admin with a stick? You must be the kind of guy who'd give a Chihuahua a double espresso before taunting it!

Not really, I was mostly just helping him give better answers to people who asked questions(most of what he posted was just from a quick search and not always specific to the edge, I tried to help...), that and answering his dropbox question... I stopped though after he said he didn't need help(imho he still does), etc.

That, and trying to get him to credit the people who wrote the posts that he has in his backup forum...

geneven1
06-15-2011, 05:34 PM
I think there was an old song about "the lunatics have taken over the asylum." The other site reminded me that on the Internet, every lunatic can have his own asylum.