View Full Version : [GUIDE]Installing market on Entourage eDGe

emusan
05-27-2011, 02:02 PM
Note, this is a copy+paste job from my thread on xda, so there may be errors lost in translation so to speak, I'll try to fix any I come across, but let me know if you find any. Whichever thread is more active I will keep more updated:

DISCLAIMER: I am in no way responsible if any of this information destroys or has any negative effects whatsoever.

UNFORTUNATELY, I HAVE FOUND THAT THIS DOES NOT IN FACT ENABLE MARKET USE, HOWEVER, IT DOES STILL WORK WITH GMAIL, CALENDER, ETC. AND I'M LEAVING IT UP IN CASE ANYONE WANTS TO GIVE IT A SHOT.

That said, this has worked for a few people so far without any problems, if you run into any I'll do what I can to help.

HUGE THANKS TO: brianb5010(this guide is almost word for word the same as his), kennyminot(helped in much the same way as brianb5010), and Keslynn. Without them this project would be nowhere right now.

Now, on to the guide:

Step one: Download the backup of the gapps from my site: link (http://adf.ly/26PHU)(please note, the link has been updated to go through adfly, 5 seconds of your time will help my continued development on this device, if you really don't want to use it, PM me and I can send you a direct link. If adfly leads you to a survey, back out and don't do anything there, these kinds of things are against the adfly TOS and they are working to remove them, thanks!)

Step two: root your edge, the easiest way is to download the z4root app from the Amazon marketplace, NOTE: this only works if using 2.2/ermine, if you are running an older version you will have to figure out how to root on your own(there are a few methods, and various guides for this out there).

Step three: Download Titanium Backup(the free version should work fine for this, but I recommend buying anyway, its a great app!) from the developers site onto your edge and install: link (http://matrixrewriter.com/android/).

Step four: Extract the archive somewhere on your computer or eDGe, then copy all of the files found in the release folder(extracted from the archive) to your /sdcard/TitaniumBackup folder

Step five: Open Titanium Backup and wait for it to gain root, etc.(make sure to give it root privileges), then tap on backup/restore, scroll to the bottom of this list and you should see several (9) apps crossed out, tap on each and tap restore app + data. THIS IS IMPORTANT, you MUST restore the DATA!

Step six: You should be DONE!!! reboot and try out market, you'll need to sign in with your google account.

If you get an error go to step seven:

Step seven: At this point you may be able to access the market, but you might also need to do the "market fix", to do this you will need to edit the /system/build.prop file. Instructions can be found here (http://forum.xda-developers.com/archive/index.php/t-861044.html), but if you want to do it the free way(a little harder), read on:

a. Download AndRootFile and use it to remount the /system folder as read/write, then open up a terminal
b. type "su"(without quotes) then type "vi /system/build.prop"(again without quotes)
c. use ijkl or the trackpad to navigate down to the line starting with: "ro.build.fingerprint"
d. change(use the i button on the keyboard to start editing in vi) that line to read: "ro.build.fingerprint=google/passion/passion/mahimahi:2.2/FRF91/43546:user/release-keys"

FAQ:

Q: I'm not seeing many apps in the market.
A: see this: youtube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2YcJdxJ24U#t=3m29s)

Q: I'm getting a download error on every app I try to download, and a google talk connection error.
A: Please PM me and/or post here and I can try and figure it out, I had this error as well, and it may just be due to a faulty gmail account, but there may be another problem, either way I can likely fix it.

Question not answered? Post below or PM me! Also let me know of any spelling errors or things I missed, I know there must be some!

emusan
05-27-2011, 02:02 PM
reserved for meh, idk if I need it here, but just in case ;)

Last_of_the_PEs
05-27-2011, 05:32 PM
I followed the directions and got into Market, but every download is unsuccessful. Is that the problem step 7 is intended to fix?
I started to do step 7 then got to "then open up a terminal". Uh, HOW do you open up a terminal?

emusan
05-27-2011, 05:39 PM
hmm, I was worried about this being a potential problem. I think that because I used an account before the backup, that same account will have to be used afterwords. I was hoping that this was not the case, but it seems like it may be. If another user has similar problems I'll try and figure a way around this and possibly post the account details so other can use it in the mean time.

That said, step 7 may fix it, to get to a terminal go to the developers tools app then tap on terminal emulator, I think it should work but if not let me know.

EDIT: I have to go to a concert that I'm performing in now, but when I get back I'll test some of the newer backups I've been working on and we'll see what we can do about that error.

Also, if anyone has been successful in this please let me know, I want to know if this is an isolated incident.

Last_of_the_PEs
05-27-2011, 06:26 PM
And the error I get when I go into Market is "Google authentication failed". That's probably why the downloads fail too.

Ok, I got into a terminal using Development Tools.
Then did SU and got super user.
then tried
vi /system/build.prop
I didn't get the file, but I did get
vi: not found
and I see the '$' prompt has changed to '#'.
That's when I gave up on terminal and vi.
By the way, for anyone else starting to feel the sharp back pain, here's a link to vi commands: http://www.lagmonster.org/docs/vi.html

I did a copy/paste of the build.prop file to my PC and edited it there. (The odds of my editing the file correctly on the PE using vi are NOT GOOD.)

Tried Market again, tried installing Street View for Google Maps. "download was unsuccessful".

Reboot the PE...
Still getting "download was unsuccessful"
then after about fifteen seconds I saw "Google authentication failed" again.

Oh, and on Step 5, you need to LIST the EXACT nine apps we need to restore. My PE had twelve apps crossed out, so I had to GUESS which nine I was supposed to restore.

Any suggestions?

woodnboats
05-27-2011, 06:58 PM
I'm having the same problems with downloads failing and Talk not connecting. I think we're aaalllmosttt there. Can't wait for emusan's return.

I had 12 apks crossed out when I did my restore also, but three were ones that had been there before I got the necessary akps into the correct folder. See, if you try to save steps and time by extracting directly into the Titanium Backup folder, WinZip creates a sub-folder called "release", and puts them there. So I had to move them into the parent folder. Then, when I tried to restore those three older apks, the "restore" option wasn't there, so I ignored them.

Holding my breath...

Kirk

emusan
05-27-2011, 09:47 PM
yes, I know what the problem is(I really should have tested more, I just got a little giddy and wanted to release lol), I'll hopefully have a new set of back-ups out tonight or early tomorrow(EST), until then you can still have fun with gmail, etc. and if you want you can try to get it working with market using the current set of backups.

and @woodnboats,

Three of those crossed out ones are apparently entourage ones that for whatever reason left behind some data with no .apk file to accompany them, I've just left them alone.

emusan
05-27-2011, 10:13 PM
Sorry everyone, but I've got to be heading off to bed now, I'll release the newer backups ASAP tomorrow, until then I hope you all enjoy gmail, etc.

Again, sorry for the inconvenience, hopefully I can have this all sorted by tomorrow.

Oh and really sorry if you missed the PM time, I wish I could have kept it open longer, but I really do need some sleep right now :(

emusan
05-28-2011, 11:47 AM
I'm sorry to have to say this, but it seems as though the newer backups are not going to work(in fact they seem to work less well). I hate to say it but I can't really promise that I can get market working anytime in the near future(or possibly even at all). I'll put back up the older backups so that you can at least use gmail, calender, etc. but unfortunately talk and market will not work for the foreseeable future.

I'm still going to keep trying(though I really can't spend as much time as I have been on this, sadly), but at this point anything I try short of writing a custom ROM will just be a shot in the dark. I'm currently in talks with a few developers who have managed to get market working on other devices, though it seems to require a custom ROM. I might try making one in the near future, but I've never really made an android one before, and given some of the quirks of the eDGe I'm not even sure its possible(at least not without losing reader capabilities :().

If anyone else wants to try and get market working themselves I'll try and help in any way I can.

Thanks to every member of the community for their support over the last few days, again I'm sorry to disappoint.

On the bright side, the newer official forum backup seems to be grabbing a lot more pages than last time(unfortunately this time it is MUCH larger, I'll make it viewable online without needing to download, but this means I'll have to wait for an upgrade of the storage on my server), and should hopefully be done within the next 24 hours.

Last_of_the_PEs
05-31-2011, 08:56 PM
On the XDA-developer site, i've been reading more on this.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1057206&page=5

Apparently the two things that were/are missing are: un-signed app files, and making the apps SYSTEM apps. (according to the poster there) Both these things sound plausible.

What do you think?

emusan
05-31-2011, 09:19 PM
On the XDA-developer site, i've been reading more on this.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1057206&page=5

Apparently the two things that were/are missing are: un-signed app files, and making the apps SYSTEM apps. (according to the poster there) Both these things sound plausible.

What do you think?

Actually, because they were backed up as system apps, when they are recovered they stay system apps, and they are the same app files as in that thread, basically all I did was provide the backups that you would otherwise have to create yourself with another rooted phone. The problem arises(as we have noticed) in that the recovered market and talk are tied to the account that was used when they were backed up(when you back up with no account it will not let you use market/talk with any account).

Right now I(and maybe others) am working on a few other methods of enabling market(I'm currently looking at methods that don't involve the backup/restore, as that seems to have hit a dead end). Unfortunately I'm very new to all of this, so it will take me a little bit to get my bearings.

Until then, feel free to follow the guide you linked to, but note that you will need another android device in order to do it.

yugami
05-31-2011, 10:29 PM
If you look in the tar.gz files you will find a large number of db files that are SQLite data base files. Theres a free viewer/editor on sourceforge.

com.google.android.gm-20110527-134920.tar.gz
Has a db named mailstore.entourageedge.fake@gmail.com.db which is probably the problem.

When you resetup your account its looking for a database named mailstore.YOUREMAILNAME@gmail.com.db

gmail.db in the same directory only has entry in the preferences table and thats the email address keyed to a column called first_time (currently set to 1)

2 thoughts -
1) Set first_time to 0 and see what happens
2) rename the db that is named after your email address and see if that works.

com.google.android.gsf also contains a database talk.db that has an accounts table which contains the email address used to set this up.

emusan
05-31-2011, 11:03 PM
lol I think you just solved the problem we've been having, I'll take a look at getting this set up tomorrow(its past my bedtime now lol), thanks so much, you're the BEST!

Assuming this works, is there any way to donate to you? You've been so helpful in all of this I feel obligated :)

monkeey
06-01-2011, 08:37 PM
If you look in the tar.gz files you will find a large number of db files that are SQLite data base files. Theres a free viewer/editor on sourceforge.

Has a db named mailstore.entourageedge.fake@gmail.com.db which is probably the problem.

When you resetup your account its looking for a database named mailstore.YOUREMAILNAME@gmail.com.db

gmail.db in the same directory only has entry in the preferences table and thats the email address keyed to a column called first_time (currently set to 1)

2 thoughts -

com.google.android.gsf also contains a database talk.db that has an accounts table which contains the email address used to set this up.

how would we go about editing these file to reflect the google account being used? ive got everything working but the failed downloads in market and unable to connect in talk.

on a side note: maybe if we started a donation pot up for grabs to the first person to make a working custom rom with all the gapps working and the uneeded left over phone stuff in android, we would be able to stir up some more development... i for one would be willing to drop a $20 or more on guaranteeing even one more fw update for this awesome device

emusan
06-01-2011, 08:54 PM
how would we go about editing these file to reflect the google account being used? ive got everything working but the failed downloads in market and unable to connect in talk.

To edit the files you will have to use a program like 7-zip to open each .tar.gz archive(the ones that hold the data), then navigate through the data folders to find the databases(they should end in .db), then you have to open them in a sqlite database editor and edit the data that was mentioned(as well as possibly a few other pieces of info). Its not too user friendly right now, I'm going to try and work on it tonight/tomorrow(I was going to today but I spent to much time on the forum backup among other things).

I'd gladly contribute at least $10 to the pot as well.

yugami
06-01-2011, 11:03 PM
No love for me been playing with it all night.

emusan
06-01-2011, 11:08 PM
No love for me been playing with it all night.

have you tried both the things you mentioned in your post above? I've begun working on them, but its taking awhile to sent to device, restore, etc. Do you know of a faster way of doing this?

yugami
06-02-2011, 06:47 AM
I have just been copying the files using adb onto the edge then using a 2nd window where I'm in the shell (adb shell) to copy the file where it goes as root.

Dumas
06-02-2011, 09:46 PM
on a side note: maybe if we started a donation pot up for grabs to the first person to make a working custom rom with all the gapps working and the uneeded left over phone stuff in android, we would be able to stir up some more development... i for one would be willing to drop a $20 or more on guaranteeing even one more fw update for this awesome device

So would Kickstarter (http://www.kickstarter.com/) work for something like this?

emusan
06-02-2011, 09:58 PM
I would think something like chipin (http://www.chipin.com/) would work better, as with Kickstarter there is often different options to pay different amounts of money, and from what I've seen, if you want to donate a value that isn't on there you would have to do some odd things to do so...

ExMORTIUS
06-02-2011, 10:28 PM

2 thoughts -

Ware are the files located?

emusan
06-02-2011, 10:36 PM
they are part of the gappsbackup.zip available from my site here: linkey (http://somestupidwebsite.com/download/edgemarket/index.html)(link is also in first post). You will have to extract the contents of this .zip file somewhere, then filter through its contents for the .tar.gz archives you want(there are also .apk.gz files which hold the backups of the gapp .apk files).

If you don't mine my asking, are you any good with android hacking? lol we could use a few good android dev's right now(I think we have a few but more is always better ;) )

fgruber
06-03-2011, 05:16 PM
Did this work at all? Is the market working now?

2 thoughts -

emusan
06-03-2011, 08:42 PM
Did this work at all? Is the market working now?

Unfortunately I don't think that it is working yet, but we are working on it. Unfortunately I've been rather busy lately with some end of the year stuff for school as well as work, hopefully we'll have something soon, but I can't make any promises.

ExMORTIUS
06-03-2011, 11:49 PM
I got market installed, but am unable to download.

emusan
06-03-2011, 11:54 PM
I got market installed, but am unable to download.

did you use the files from my server? If so then this is a common problem and we are aware of it, we are working to fix it but so far we haven't had much luck. I've been a bit busy lately with this being my last week of "school" and all, but next week I'll try to put in some time working on this and some other eDGe related things... Does gmail and the other google apps work(aside from talk and market)?

ExMORTIUS
06-04-2011, 12:31 AM
Ok good in a way, its not just my device. I so adb catlog gives me

E/CheckinTask( 8767): Checkin failed: https://android.clients.google.com/checkin
(request #0)
E/CheckinTask( 8767): java.io.IOException: Rejected response from server: HTTP/1
.1 400 invalid hardware identifier: "BF30144100782" is not a valid MEID (expect
14 hex digits)

so looking around in the data/data/com.google.android.gsf/databases/gservices.db - main I see market_force_checkin = 1
i will change an see what happens.
I forgot what the mount point is for the pocket Edge can you tell me what it is.
Thank you

ExMORTIUS
06-04-2011, 08:06 AM
in the provided google apps there is a reference in com.google.android.gsf-20110527-134934.tar data/data/com.google.android.gsf/databases -talk.db edit the db with sqlitebrowser_200_b1_win (http://bit.ly/m1O7JZ) open the db and go to accounts and there is entourageedge.fake@gmail.com. I tried to change it but google system framework would F/C.

emusan
06-04-2011, 08:38 AM
Yes, entourageedge.fake@gmail.com was the throwaway account I used to make the backups so none of my personal info would get stolen. It's good to see we have another person working on this. We may have market yet.

mr_ed
06-04-2011, 10:27 AM
Which gapps are these? Cyanogen's wiki has 8 versions....

-- Ed

ExMORTIUS
06-04-2011, 11:44 AM
I am working on 2 tablets right now Pocked eDGe and coby kyros 2.3 mod.

mr_ed
Not sure what ones emusan posted. But i have been working with gapps-hdpi-20101114-signed.zip from Cyanogen's wiki.

tigerszheng
06-06-2011, 08:36 AM
It seems that I have download the "gapps-hdpi-20101114-signed.zip", but it's different from the steps from what emusan said since the zip file contain all apk file, I tried before to install the software, but it's no working.

Could you recall some steps?

All the best!

I am working on 2 tablets right now Pocked eDGe and coby kyros 2.3 mod.

mr_ed
Not sure what ones emusan posted. But i have been working with gapps-hdpi-20101114-signed.zip from Cyanogen's wiki.

Sarasuru
06-06-2011, 03:26 PM
I had so much trouble moving the Market app from my phone to my PE (it was deleted from my phone). I restored the app on my phone and used the same website to download the .apk on my PE. i changed the ro.buildprop.fingerprint line, rebooted the PE, but when I try and open the Market the screen quickly goes white and flashes back to the desktop like nothing ever happened.

I've also been having trouble with the newly installed app on my EVO Shift. It will run fine for a while then it will have to force close on opening and will disappear and i have to reinstall it through Titanium backup or the original .apk I found to replace the factory app.

Is it not taking on my PE because it is not the factory app transferred from my phone? Has anyone tried doing this through Dropbox?

Thanks!

emusan
06-06-2011, 05:00 PM
I had so much trouble moving the Market app from my phone to my PE (it was deleted from my phone). I restored the app on my phone and used the same website to download the .apk on my PE. i changed the ro.buildprop.fingerprint line, rebooted the PE, but when I try and open the Market the screen quickly goes white and flashes back to the desktop like nothing ever happened.

I've also been having trouble with the newly installed app on my EVO Shift. It will run fine for a while then it will have to force close on opening and will disappear and i have to reinstall it through Titanium backup or the original .apk I found to replace the factory app.

Is it not taking on my PE because it is not the factory app transferred from my phone? Has anyone tried doing this through Dropbox?

Thanks!

Are you just transferring the market app? You will need to get all the ones described in this post: link (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=13879294&postcount=41)

and how you transfer them shouldn't matter in this case. If you are still having problems just ask...

sabman
06-06-2011, 05:49 PM
A little confused here. The instructions clearly says that the Market app does not work. Why are people still looking to install the app?

emusan
06-06-2011, 05:53 PM
A little confused here. The instructions clearly says that the Market app does not work. Why are people still looking to install the app?

Some(like me) are still trying to find a way to make it work for everyone, I didn't mean market will never work, I just meant that those instructions will, unfortunately, not make market work. Others are installing the apps in order to get access to the official gmail, youtube, and other apps that are still working in the guide...

Oh, and I think a few people are using these instructions with backups from their own android devices in order to make market work on their phone, the only problem with these is that they are tied to the account they are created with, but we are working on that(albeit slowly on my end).

Filark
06-06-2011, 09:09 PM

lol! Some people just can't let well enough alone! :p Just kidding. ;)

It's like those mountain climbers who do it "because it's there." Here we have an Android device with no access to the official market, why not try to figure out a way to get the official market??

I'm still living with an unrooted Pocket eDGe with no Google market access. :book2: If an app doesn't work, I don't use it! :rofl:

sabman
06-07-2011, 11:44 AM
haha! Of course and I depend on these people to try and find a working version. So, a big thanks!

kennyminot
06-07-2011, 05:22 PM
Sorry! I redirected someone here, not realizing that this procedure didn't work. Do you have an Android phone? If so, you can definitely get the Market up and running. But that seems to be the only way we've been able to get it to work so far.

I think we need to make a list of things that need to be resolved. Right now, I'm experimenting with a workaround for copying apps to the sdcard. I feel in my bones that I can get it to work (currently, I've copied apps over, but I've ran into an annoying kink that I can't resolve!)

cosmopolman
06-08-2011, 09:05 AM
Just set up my edge (it was in the post for the last 4 weeks since I bought it from that last batch on Woot).
I upgraded to 2.2, and am able to transfer afks from my Android phone, but....
I can't get the Google Account set up to use Google's Gmail, Finance, Listen, and other apps I like. I even copied those afks over, but they all want a Google Account configured on the Edge as soon as they launch, which isn't in the edge settings anywhere. Moreover, I registered just a few days ago, after the Entourage site closed, so not even sure if this was possible previously.

So, I don't need the Market itself, just a Google Account. Is there any way apart from the full 8-step rooting/backing up/etc. method to get just the Google Account put on?

Welcome me to the happy (but sad :rolleyes:) edge user community.

kennyminot
06-08-2011, 10:21 AM
As far as I know, it is impossible to (fully) setup a Google account without going through the steps to fix the market. At the moment, this requires having another Android phone.

You can get some limited functionality by doing the "YouTube" workaround. Basically, you download the YouTube apk, install it, and the configure your Google account. However, while this will give you access to several of the gapps, they don't automatically sync. You won't get any notifications, and you'll have to manually refresh your inbox every time that you enter the program.

For more information, go ahead and read this thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1057206

emusan
06-08-2011, 10:28 AM
the method in this thread will get you a google account without another phone, it just wont work for market and talk, but it does work for the gmail app, and I believe others have tested calender and contacts sync with it, so it should work for most apps, and you don't need another phone...

I don't know of any other way at the moment to get a google account working(the reason for rooting is to make the apk's system apps which android requires them to be in order for you to get a google account, I don't think there is a way around this, or ever will be).

EDIT: There may be a way to do it without rooting by using an update.zip, but that's probably not going to come for awhile.

cosmopolman
06-08-2011, 08:52 PM
Y'all awesome. I did it. Tried YouTube way, without rooting, but that didn't work, so then I just went ahead and rooted and got some extra apks from cryogen and it works. Got my Gmail, Contacts, Listen, Calendar, Listen, Finance. Even Maps has my Favorite places. "Woot" is right!

Market and Talk don't work but I understand that's common. That's OK, I got Skype working :-) I can tell you a secret about that, if you want to know.

Now, the eDGe is the shizzle!

P.S. Especially since I'm tethering it via WiFi to my Samsung Android, and can now actually use it as a full-fledged 3G device. OMG, how awesome.

ptsenter
06-08-2011, 11:09 PM
Market and Talk don't work but I understand that's common. That's OK, I got Skype working :-) I can tell you a secret about that, if you want to know.
I do.

cosmopolman
06-09-2011, 08:20 AM
I do.
I've got an apk of the old Skype Beta, before they pulled it from Android platform entirely in 2009. They eventually rebuilt it from the ground up and relaunched it a year or so ago, but this new one doesn't work (doesn't login on many devices, including my edge). But the old one does.... The UI is a bit crap, but it gets the job done.
I'm not good at hosting these files so if someone wants to put up the APK, I'll email it to them. Just PM me I guess, and give me the email address to send the file.

ptsenter
06-09-2011, 03:02 PM
I'm not good at hosting these files so if someone wants to put up the APK, I'll email it to them. Just PM me I guess, and give me the email address to send the file.On behalf of cosmopolman (thank you for quick response) attached is some beta of Skype.
Change .txt to .apk. If using adb this is probably not necessary.
It installs, let you login and picks up your contacts properly.
While placing a call it tries to make a cell call first. That's probably how it was designed, but not what I expected: I hoped it works like PC client.
I guess as it is it's of a limited usage for PE users: one can chat at least.

Filark
06-09-2011, 03:03 PM
Welcome, Cosmopolman! :)

Good to have you aboard! I think quite a few people are/would be interested in Skype. Nice of you to share! If we don't get the apk posted here, perhaps it could go on the Wiki Larka has put up for us at www.entourageedge.org. (I love typing that link -- makes me feel the eDGe is not dead after all!) ;)

Edit: Thanks, ptsenter! Think I'll give that a try. :D

cosmopolman
06-15-2011, 11:42 AM
I keep having trouble synching Google accounts, since I never completed the full "system" backup restore process for all the apps and my Market still doesn't work. But, I found a great workaround:
install ShutUpBatterySaver app which toggles Auto Synch on a period you set. Every time it toggles back on, this forces a full synch for all accounts, including Google. Voila. Polling sync!

emusan
06-15-2011, 12:18 PM
I keep having trouble synching Google accounts, since I never completed the full "system" backup restore process for all the apps and my Market still doesn't work. But, I found a great workaround:
install ShutUpBatterySaver app which toggles Auto Synch on a period you set. Every time it toggles back on, this forces a full synch for all accounts, including Google. Voila. Polling sync!

Good to know, thanks for posting, maybe sometime we can integrate this feature into an update or something so people don't need to install an app just for this.

vicinc
06-15-2011, 02:04 PM
just to let you know that I managed to brick my pe editing the build.prop

emusan
06-15-2011, 02:15 PM
just to let you know that I managed to brick my pe editing the build.prop

That's why I and others really only recommend doing so if there is no other option... hopefully you or someone else will find a way to unbrick ypur pe...

oldredfox
06-16-2011, 07:53 PM
I used Titanium backup to move the same 9 apps that were in Emusan's gapp package off my 2.2 phone and over to my PE(didn't need to edit build.prop). Market up and running now =)

After messing around with it some more, it overall is pretty good this way. A few apps aren't visible to install (facebook- claims compatibility issue with unknown device) and Angry birds won't install via market. But most apps seem to install fine via it. I could probably edit the device ID to increase compatibility, but from what I've seen on other posts, that could cause issues down the line.

vicinc
06-17-2011, 03:39 AM
I just wish I would have not edited my build.prop
was a bad idea and still have a half bricked device that does not want to revert to dingo or update to ermine!!

kennyminot
06-17-2011, 11:53 AM
That sucks, vicinc. Like I said, I have no idea how editing the build.prop bricked your entire device. I've done it a million times, and it's usually a relatively safe procedure.

ivanjt
06-17-2011, 07:00 PM
Does anyone know if the market is still available only in the US or have they opened it to the world?

mr_ed
06-17-2011, 08:21 PM
A help article for app developers (https://www.google.com/support/androidmarket/developer/bin/answer.py?answer=1169947) says, "For each country that you wish sell your app in...."

There's info about converting prices to different currencies (and how developers can override that), and stuff like that. So, sounds like it.

-- Ed

edgewise
06-18-2011, 06:34 PM
Is there a way to reverse the process of installing the market. I was OK with froyo mail and the amazon app store. Tempted by the possibility of Gtalk on Edge, I did the whole process suggested by emusan. Now everytime I turn the thing on I get a Gtalk authentication fail notification. So I was wondering how could I go back to the earlier situation without having to reformat the whole device.

emusan
06-18-2011, 06:48 PM
Is there a way to reverse the process of installing the market. I was OK with froyo mail and the amazon app store. Tempted by the possibility of Gtalk on Edge, I did the whole process suggested by emusan. Now everytime I turn the thing on I get a Gtalk authentication fail notification. So I was wondering how could I go back to the earlier situation without having to reformat the whole device.

I think that there should be an option to uninstall them from within Titanium Backup as well as delete the data. But even if you have them installed they shouldn't have an effect on the old applications(if you want to you could even just uninstall Talk and use the other applications like youtube)...

Last_of_the_PEs
06-18-2011, 07:12 PM
I get that error too, but my Gmail works, so I'm happy to put up with it. I guess if I uninstalled Market it would go away, but I like to look for things in Market, then go after them through other sources or the emulator.

I've stopped looking for perfection. Now I just try to moderate the level of SUCK.

Griffintard
06-20-2011, 09:03 PM
Hey Emsusan, have you tried bypassing the start screen when you first start up your virtual rom to get the items off of it before they are related with an account....

here is what I mean... here (http://lifehacker.com/5807688/bypass-the-touch-the-android-to-begin-screen-with-a-few-taps)

maybe you can extract them after this is done so it isn't tied to an account. I would try it, but it you already have the virtual rom stuff setup if you could and let us know.

Thanks

emusan
06-20-2011, 09:30 PM
Hey Emsusan, have you tried bypassing the start screen when you first start up your virtual rom to get the items off of it before they are related with an account....

here is what I mean... here (http://lifehacker.com/5807688/bypass-the-touch-the-android-to-begin-screen-with-a-few-taps)

maybe you can extract them after this is done so it isn't tied to an account. I would try it, but it you already have the virtual rom stuff setup if you could and let us know.

Thanks

Yeah, I had tried it, but it still has the same problems(and is even less useful for those that want to mess around as it doesn't have the database entries for a throwaway account)...

aircable.net
07-06-2011, 01:15 AM
I did a bit of testing with the "alogcat" program from the market. Had to copy it over via SD card from another Android.

Then the Market App gives this error:

java.io.IOException: Rejected response from server: HTTP/1.1 400 invalid hardware identifier: "F20112100202" is not a valid MEID (expect 14 hex digits)

I guess, we fix this, Market and other apps will work.

aircable.net
07-06-2011, 01:32 AM
... and this is just the serial number of my EE.
also see http://www.tiaonline.org/standards/resources/meid/

cosmopolman
07-06-2011, 11:20 PM
My Edge hung, so I reverted to Dingo, then back to Ermine. So, I figured I might as well just fix the Market thing clean, like in this thread. I have a second Android phone, so I did it all off of that with TitaniumBackup. It all worked, syncs, accounts, etc. except:
a) I am getting very limited apps in Market. I tried the YouTube fix, but it doesn't help. I think I have to do the prop edit. But, I'm afraid to, with all the talk of bricking. Is it safe?
b) Market kind of works. I can download one app at a time, then Market crashes. It also doesn't show any of the apps I have installed on my Edge (except for two paid ones). But, at least it gets the job done for apps that I can find.
c) my Android phone lost its registration in the Android Marketplace website. I'm not sure what impact this will have down the line, but at least, I can't push download apps from the website onto my phone anymore.

So, is editing prop safe?

emusan
07-06-2011, 11:31 PM
I would say wait on editing the build.prop at least until we see if what ptsenter is doing pans out... Many of us have edited it without problem, but I'm not sure its worth risking... I would try the youtube fix again, sometimes it takes two tries to get it right... We should know in the next week or so some more...

kennyminot
07-06-2011, 11:33 PM
Of course, it's not safe. If you want some sort of assurances to ease your conscience about editing a major system file, you probably won't find it. Whenever you start tinkering with your system, you run the risk of majorly screwing something up.

That said, I've edited the build.prop file on multiple devices without ever having a problem. I've also borked my machine twice and restored it. Before you give it a shot, though, you might try downloading "Market Enabler" from the Market and see what happens.

K

vicinc
07-07-2011, 05:07 AM
I would not say market enabler is safe as may delete the serial no of the device

cosmopolman
07-07-2011, 05:33 AM
Tried Market Enabler (both of them :-). No luck. U.S. operator gives some extra search results, but still can't find Facebook, Remember the Milk, XE Currency, PayPal, etc. Tried YouTube fix a bunch of times too, in combination with Market Enabler no dice. It shows lots of apps, just not the ones I want (and can find with my phone). Will hold off on editing prop, don't want to spend another 5 hours rebuilding a bricked Edge. Thanks for the tips guys.

P.S. I search for "XE Currency", it shows one result but says there are 4 results in the header. On my phone, it shows all 4. It's doing some sort of suppression, post-search. When I set a U.S. carrier, I see 2 results (my default is a UK carrier), but still not the actual "XE Currency" app I want.

Gerrye
07-07-2011, 06:03 PM
I`m still on the Titanium backup process, I followed the instructions until step#5. When I went to the bottom of backup and restore tab, there were only 3 items:

com.adobe.flashlite
com.entouragesys.eink.journal
com.entouragesys.eink.reader

all 3 are crossed out, but when I tap on them, the option of restore app + data is not there, only an option to uninstall... the other two options Backup ! and Freeze ! are grayed out and will not function... Same option on all three...

I guess I`m doing something wrong... any clues?

Thanks

muranternet
07-07-2011, 07:02 PM
Gerrye, what's the device you're restoring from? It must be running Froyo for this to work.

elBryan
07-07-2011, 07:25 PM
I got as far as Last_of_the_PEs did before I ran into the same problem. When I start typing in the terminal, it tells me NOT FOUND.

The instructions up until that point were great. I was surprised that even someone like me, who gets easily frustrated with this technical stuff, was able to make it this far with relative ease.

I'm looking forward to a solution for the Android Marketplace, but am thankful to emusan and the rest of you for bringing me this far.

emusan
07-07-2011, 08:06 PM
I`m still on the Titanium backup process, I followed the instructions until step#5. When I went to the bottom of backup and restore tab, there were only 3 items:

com.adobe.flashlite
com.entouragesys.eink.journal
com.entouragesys.eink.reader

all 3 are crossed out, but when I tap on them, the option of restore app + data is not there, only an option to uninstall... the other two options Backup ! and Freeze ! are grayed out and will not function... Same option on all three...

I guess I`m doing something wrong... any clues?

Thanks

They might not be at the bottom necessarily depending on your filter settings, if they don't appear anywhere on the list then I have two questions:

Are you using the backups I provided or your own?
Are you sure the backups were placed in your /sdcard/TitaniumBackup folder?(It might just look like TitaniumBackup from ESFileExplore)

I hope we can help!

emusan
07-07-2011, 08:09 PM
I got as far as Last_of_the_PEs did before I ran into the same problem. When I start typing in the terminal, it tells me NOT FOUND.

The instructions up until that point were great. I was surprised that even someone like me, who gets easily frustrated with this technical stuff, was able to make it this far with relative ease.

I'm looking forward to a solution for the Android Marketplace, but am thankful to emusan and the rest of you for bringing me this far.

Hi there, which step is the specific one that you get stuck on? Is it seven? If so, are you having any problems using market yet, as step seven is not really necessary if you aren't and I would recommend trying the youtube fix in the FAQ at the bottom first.

garyhgaryh
07-16-2011, 10:59 AM
I installed the gapps and everything but market and gtalk is working.
I have access to android devices at work and I got to thinking, why not just pull market off those devices?

I want to keep my current gapps on since gmail and calendar works just fine.
If I pull market off another device, what else do I need to pull with it? I'm thinking of trying the market app only to see what happens.

Thanks,
Gary

garyhgaryh
07-16-2011, 11:02 AM
One more thing.. When I try to access the market place, I have no issues. But when I try to download, I get "download was unsuccessful".

Anyone resolved this issue?

emusan
07-16-2011, 11:57 AM
You should probably pull Market, google services framework, partner setup, and talk at the minimum, though I would recommend pulling them all. The device you pull them from will need to be rooted and have Titanium Backup installed as well.

The download was unsuccessful may be fixed by using an app called market enabler, though I haven't gotten anyone to confirm it 100% yet, I will be trying it myself in the next few days, and I will update the guide and bump this up if it does end up working. However, if you pull the apps from your phone that should fix the problem as well.

garyhgaryh
07-16-2011, 02:05 PM
I did a bit of testing with the "alogcat" program from the market. Had to copy it over via SD card from another Android.

Then the Market App gives this error:

java.io.IOException: Rejected response from server: HTTP/1.1 400 invalid hardware identifier: "F20112100202" is not a valid MEID (expect 14 hex digits)

I guess, we fix this, Market and other apps will work.

Interesting.. when I tried and logged my errors I get the following:

com.android.vending.model.GetAssetRequest. Response=INTERNAL_SERVICE_ERROR

I'm not sure if the marketplace website is returning this or my machine is returning it.

garyhgaryh
07-16-2011, 02:07 PM
You should probably pull Market, google services framework, partner setup, and talk at the minimum, though I would recommend pulling them all. The device you pull them from will need to be rooted and have Titanium Backup installed as well.

The download was unsuccessful may be fixed by using an app called market enabler, though I haven't gotten anyone to confirm it 100% yet, I will be trying it myself in the next few days, and I will update the guide and bump this up if it does end up working. However, if you pull the apps from your phone that should fix the problem as well.

Thanks. I might give this a try in the following week.

emusan
07-16-2011, 02:07 PM
Interesting.. when I tried and logged my errors I get the following:

com.android.vending.model.GetAssetRequest. Response=INTERNAL_SERVICE_ERROR

I'm not sure if the marketplace website is returning this or my machine is returning it.

yes, I've gotten the same error's in my logs, I've asked a few friends that are a bit more knowledgeable about Android than I am and they aren't quite sure how to fix it either.

khater
09-04-2011, 02:36 PM
I know it has been some time for you guys, but here is what happened to me:
I ended up having the restored applications, youtube is running fine. whenever I try market or gmail, I get a message saying
"The application Market (process com.android.vending) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again"
--> force close
Any ideas?

jamina1
09-22-2011, 08:31 AM
I just got my PE off of woot.com. I had no issue installing the 2.2 update, but unfortunately my cell phone is running 2.3, which means I can't copy the google services framework from it.

I downloaded the gapps from Cyanogen mod's wiki page and installed Google Services Framework, Market, and Gmail. I tried to add a google account and it just says "You don't have data provisioned properly" even though I'm connected to wifi. Any ideas?

Youtube runs perfectly, so long as I don't try to create an account.

Surveyah
09-22-2011, 09:56 AM
I too followed all the steps in this thread, and still do not have Market functioning.....or gmail....when i try to run either i get the Force Close.

Has anyone got a fix for this?

bogart
09-22-2011, 03:42 PM
haha! Someone did just mention it above. Need backup of android 2.2 to make it work for PE.

<my original message>
Hi All,

I finally managed to get Market to work after countless attempts. Want to share a piece of information on how i was able to install Market. Someone might already have mentioned this small but important ifo, so sorry for any duplication. If its something obvious, sorry for my slow mental faculties.

Here it is,

First attempts... i did the backups using the Titanium backup method using my MyTouch 4G phone as source then restored onto Pocket Edge - result: FAILURE! Did this a number of times...

Suddenly it hit me after a few days, MyTouch 4G has Android 2.3 while Pocket Edge has 2.2. Hmmm... could it be versions being incompatible... Good thing i still have my ole reliable G1... installed Titanium backup on my G1... backed-up Market and Google Services Framework... restored them on my Pocket Edge... voila! Success! I almost cried... almost... lol

Probably when the Titanium backup method was written up, Android 2.2 was the version common. Now, we have 2.3 (and higher?).

Also, i didn't need to convert system files to user files so Titanium backup free version will probably be enough.

Anyway, hope this help someone from countless days of hair pulling and sleepless nights.

jamina1
09-22-2011, 03:56 PM
haha! Someone did just mention it above. Need backup of android 2.2 to make it work for PE.

<my original message>
Hi All,

I finally managed to get Market to work after countless attempts. Want to share a piece of information on how i was able to install Market. Someone might already have mentioned this small but important ifo, so sorry for any duplication. If its something obvious, sorry for my slow mental faculties.

Here it is,

First attempts... i did the backups using the Titanium backup method using my MyTouch 4G phone as source then restored onto Pocket Edge - result: FAILURE! Did this a number of times...

Suddenly it hit me after a few days, MyTouch 4G has Android 2.3 while Pocket Edge has 2.2. Hmmm... could it be versions being incompatible... Good thing i still have my ole reliable G1... installed Titanium backup on my G1... backed-up Market and Google Services Framework... restored them on my Pocket Edge... voila! Success! I almost cried... almost... lol

Probably when the Titanium backup method was written up, Android 2.2 was the version common. Now, we have 2.3 (and higher?).

Also, i didn't need to convert system files to user files so Titanium backup free version will probably be enough.

Anyway, hope this help someone from countless days of hair pulling and sleepless nights.

That's my issue too, my phone is running 2.3 Cyanogenmod. And I can't root my Boyfriend's 2.2 froyo phone because he's afraid I will break it. I'm trying it with emusan's Tibu backups.. but they don't work with the market either.

Either way, there's more to this issue than just the market. I can't even get it to set up an account with google because it thinks its a phone.. even though its connected to wifi it says NO DATA.

bogart
09-22-2011, 04:02 PM
That's my issue too, my phone is running 2.3 Cyanogenmod. And I can't root my Boyfriend's 2.2 froyo phone because he's afraid I will break it. I'm trying it with emusan's Tibu backups.. but they don't work with the market either.

Either way, there's more to this issue than just the market. I can't even get it to set up an account with google because it thinks its a phone.. even though its connected to wifi it says NO DATA.

How are you trying to set up an account? I've only been able to set up accounts only after Market was installed. It had me go thru the whole process of entering my gmail and password.

Not everything works perfect but its been easier once i had Market up. One problem is Gmail crashes when i try to "Show Pictures". I can read the text and the links are good but can't view embedded pics using Gmail app.

jamina1
09-22-2011, 04:02 PM
AAAAAAAAAH!! OMG! IT worked!

But the market isn't working. BUT I HAVE CALENDAR AND EMAIL YAY!:thumbsup: BUT OMG! WOW! :D

jamina1
09-22-2011, 04:03 PM
How are you trying to set up an account? I've only been able to set up accounts only after Market was installed. It had me go thru the whole process of entering my gmail and password.

Not everything works perfect but its been easier once i had Market up. One problem is Gmail crashes when i try to "Show Pictures". I can read the text and the links are good but can't view embedded pics using Gmail app.

I was using the Accounts & Sync interface and it would keep erroring out. I just did Emusan's restore and it FINALLY worked ( I tried earlier pulling from Cyanogenmod gapps zip files and also from my phone to no avail ).

No market working for me though, downloads fail. Should I risk the build.prop fix?

stevesr0
09-22-2011, 09:32 PM
I am one of those who has successfully downloaded apps from the market with an emulator. (I don't own nor have access to an Android phone that I could pull the apps from.)

This actually was easy.

The downside, so far, is it is cumbersome.

Has anyone tried to backup the files on the virtual phone (the emulator) to the PE in the same way that
has been successfully done with "real phones" and then use Titanium Backup to restore them?

Steve