Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-25-2011, 07:18 AM   #1
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Do tablets belong in landscape or portrait? Googles web guru says portrait

Quote:
Here’s the tablet conundrum: I find that full-size (i.e. iPad or Xoom scale) devices often sit most comfortably in the hand when held sideways. And, during a recent presentation I attended on app design for the tablet form factor, someone pointed out that a landscape-mode tablet, unlike a portrait-mode handset, recalls the shape of computer monitor; so presumably the user-experience lessons we’ve learned designing for monitors begin once again to apply.

Well, maybe. But what I foresee is a chance for overexuberant site designers to pack in marginalia and widgets and gadgets and social-media dung and so on ad nauseum. Thus requiring the services of things like Readability.

One solution on a tablet is to emulate book design and go two-column. But electric text wants to be scrolled, which doesn’t sit well with columnar layouts.

So hold your damn tablet the right way up. That’s the way the information wants to be, anyhow.
http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/20.../Portrait-Mode
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:09 AM   #2
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: samsung 8.9, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy note 2, nook hd+, ipad
for web and reading i prefer portrait since the info scrolls vertically. you get more info in one glance.

this is the reason why i hate 16:9 screens for computer use. i have to get a monitor that's a few inches bigger to match the vertical space of a 16:10. plus 24" 16:9 cost just as much as a 24" 16:10 when the 16:9 actually has less square inches.
madsquabbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2011, 08:23 AM   #3
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
It depends. Web browsing. Video playback. Gaming. Landscape is the better choice. Reading books or magazines. Portrait.
What do you use your tablet more for multimedia. Or book reading?
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:09 PM   #4
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: samsung 8.9, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy note 2, nook hd+, ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
What do you use your tablet more for multimedia. Or book reading?
that depends on the tablet, lol. the archos 101 is my main video tablet. it's 16:9 and is always kept landscape. even when web browsing it's landscape b/c of the terrible quality of the monitor.

the evo 4g - too small for landscape most of the time, but i still prefer portrait as i do more web browsing & reading than watching movies.

my galaxy tab - portrait for web browsing and reading. i usually don't watch movies on it. i do switch to landscape only when typing long responses.

ipad, xoom and transfomer - i used them the same. hand held it used them portrait but setting them down i'd go landscape. of course if i'm watching movies or gaming (depends on how the game was designed) they'd all be landscape.

it's all preference really. i just find it more comfortable for me and i do less scrolling this way. google reader get all the info on one page with no scrolling when in portrait.

i'm still hurting that after my 16:10 laptop and monitor are replaced they'll be with 16:9.
madsquabbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:59 PM   #5
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
what I like about web browsing in landscape mode vs portrait on my phone or in a tablet is the text is larger and less panning side to side. If I try to web browse on my Droid X in protrait. While yes I get more per page vertically, I get much less horizonitally and the text is way too small to read without having to zoom in and when you do that you lose all page content and it's all panning.

but you are right to each his own. I just find webbrowsing in landscape much more pleasurable.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2011, 03:57 PM   #6
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
He's a charmer. I'm going to assume the sting line at the end is being facetious.

I'm always very skeptical of arguments that boil down to "I don't want it to be this way because it's HARD". Boo-hoo.

I'm a software programmer, and I feel his pain - do you let the widgets reorient with the screen, or do you make widgets in all possible directions so that the user can layout their screen the way they want? At the moment, the current design is multiple widgets per app (4x2 widget, 4x1 widget, etc - my calendar widget has every possible permutation, ha), so it seems likely that ambitious developers will program in that direction (4x2 portrait, 4x2 landscape).

This is perfectly do-able and it doesn't even need to clutter the widget screen - a bedroom programmer app I have lets you remove which widget sizes you can select for his app from the widget selector screen. If he can do that, other developers can too.

The argument here seems to be, "Sure it might be better for some customers to do it X way, but that's hard for me the programmer, so they can't!" Well, okay. Good luck with that, Mr. Developer. I'm sure no one else will come along to give your customer what they want.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote