View Full Version : So you want the Ermine (Froyo 2.2) update.zip?

mrlanrat
05-23-2011, 07:56 PM
Well, here it is:
EE: http://cdn.entourageedge.com/eermine/update.zip.ermine-0.9
PE: http://cdn.entourageedge.com/permine/update.zip.ermine-0.9
(PE version thanks to Last_of_the_PEs)

Grab it while its hot, and before the entourage servers turn dark for good!

I know this is the file downloaded by the edge when doing the update. I got the url using this handy app: http://www.appbrain.com/app/shark-for-root/lv.n3o.shark

This was done on a full size edge, don't know if it is the same file used by the pocket edge, someone with a PE should find out.

Enjoy!

Filark
05-23-2011, 08:24 PM
Awesome!! I am copying and pasting to the other forum now! :)

Thank you, mrlanrat!! :D

Oh, no! I think I'll post a link to here, instead! ;)

Last_of_the_PEs
05-23-2011, 08:37 PM
For you PE users, here it is: http://cdn.entourageedge.com/permine/update.zip.ermine-0.9
(the folder is 'permine' instead of 'eermine')
File sizes are different, so I'm pretty sure these are different, and if they are it probably matters. If Entourage yanks the files, post a shout here and I can expose on the web with a link.

Oh, and "Shark for root" looked interesting so I went looking. Slideme, AnAppStore, Amazon and Freeware Lovers all struck out. AppBrain is useless, and AndroLib doesn't have downloads. I ran the emulator to get at Market that worked.
If you want Shark, and don't have the emulator/market running, give a shout for that too. You have to root your eDGe to use it though. I haven't gotten around to having a friend rip me a copy of Market using the instructions I'm sure we've all seen by now. :)

mrlanrat
05-23-2011, 08:43 PM
@Last_of_the_PEs Good work on getting the PE version. I too have the files saved in case they get yanked and can upload them if that happens to be the case.

I installed "Shark for root" (and almost all my other android apps) from my backups made by Titanium Backup from my android phone. Titanium Backup saves the apks to Dropbox and the edge downloads and installs them. Works for me :)

EDIT: Uploaded Shark for root! http://www.freewarelovers.com/android/app/shark-for-root

Last_of_the_PEs
05-23-2011, 08:54 PM
Yeah, that's pretty much the procedure I use, except I don't have a physical device that runs Android Market, so it's the emulator or nothing. Oddly enough the 2.2 emulator build I did can't get connectivity, so I suspect i lose a lot of apps that don't jump the 1.6/2.2 wall.

That'll just force me to have a friend with a "real" tablet help me get the files to make Market work.

On the Entourage forum, Picklefish says Entourage might get Ermine out of Beta before the lights go out. Even if they do, it'll be good to have the Beta backed up.

Kewlcat
05-23-2011, 09:56 PM
Awesome work people!!!

Thanks a bunch for this...I can sleep a bit more easy tonight knowing I have the option to upgrade... ;)

glow
05-23-2011, 10:34 PM
Cool, this is a comfort!

kennyminot
05-23-2011, 10:38 PM
You guys are both sexy, and I love you. :)

K

Michealj
05-23-2011, 10:39 PM
Mrlanrat, thank you for this download. It is greatly appreciated by all of us.

Regards,

Micheal

mrlanrat
05-24-2011, 03:59 PM
This reply is in response to lorenzoens over here: http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/showthread.php?2059
Hopefully he will find it.

To install the update:
The steps are the same as downgrading from Ermine to Dingo. (https://www.entourageedge.com/support/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=263&nav=0)
1. Download the file and rename it to update.zip
2. place the file in the root of a FAT32 USB flash drive (I think a SD card will work too)
3. With the Edge off and the flash drive plugged in, hold down the MENU and ROTATE buttons.
4. Power on the Edge while continuing to hold Menu and ROTATE for 10 seconds.
5. Within 1 minute the Edge should start upgrading, the process will take a while, ~10 minutes, keep it plugged in.
6. The Edge will reboot when it is done.

geneven1
05-24-2011, 04:29 PM
Do you think this is the same version of Ermine I got when I first registered at the site a few days ago and it asked me if I wanted to join the Ermine beta test? Anyone know how I can tell what version of Ermie I'm running now?

Last_of_the_PEs
05-24-2011, 05:45 PM
To check your software loadout, use Settings - About eDGe. Your "Android version" "Kernel version" and "Build number" is there.
With the Ermine Beta running on my PE, I've got Android version: 2.2.1 with kernel 2.6.34 buildmaster@zeke #1 and a Build number of ERMINE 0.9

And yeah, I'm netrobot on Entourage. What I want to know is, Is Kewlcat here the same one as on SmartAppsWorld? (and if so, what happened to the Cheetah with headphones avatar?)

aidren
05-27-2011, 03:21 PM
Thank you mrlanrat...:)

mr_ed
05-27-2011, 03:26 PM
:thanks:

Zowie, THANKS mrlanrat, L_o_t_P, and Filark ! I was trying to get clever about installing the gapps and turned my PE into a tablet-sized fubar with a flashing display:The launcher just crashed.
It just crashed again.
It just crashed again.
It just crashed again.
It just crashed again.
....I reflashed dingo, just to be on the safe side, and then flashed ermine with this file. Whew!

I'm about 30 years too old to be allowed to say it, but H4X0RZ R00L ¡¡¡ :D

-- Ed

emusan
05-27-2011, 03:30 PM

Zowie, THANKS mrlanrat, L_o_t_P, and Filark ! I was trying to get clever about installing the gapps and turned my PE into a tablet-sized fubar with a flashing display:The launcher just crashed.
It just crashed again.
It just crashed again.
It just crashed again.
It just crashed again.
....I reflashed dingo, just to be on the safe side, and then flashed ermine with this file. Whew!

I'm about 30 years too old to be allowed to say it, but H4X0RZ R00L ¡¡¡ :D

-- Ed

This post made me laugh!:rofl:

Mark Rehorst
05-29-2011, 05:05 PM
What we need here is a torrent or web site where the update files can be made available in case the entourage servers go dark...

emusan
05-29-2011, 05:21 PM
What we need here is a torrent or web site where the update files can be made available in case the entourage servers go dark...

I'd be fine with hosting them on my site, I'll try to download them later and then put them up somewhere...

Mark Rehorst
05-29-2011, 07:44 PM
I made a torrent but I'm reluctant to start seeding it due to potential legal issues.

emusan
05-29-2011, 08:15 PM
I made a torrent but I'm reluctant to start seeding it due to potential legal issues.

I don't think there would be any legal issue, it was hosted unencrypted openly and for free anyway. Plus, I don't think that they have the kind of capital right now to start a law suit anyway, though these forums might not like it, most people associate every torrent with illegal acts, even though it is used by many legitimate companies to reduce server loads.

Mark Rehorst
05-30-2011, 01:54 AM
Well, I'll start seeding it if there's anyone out there who will do likewise. It needs to spread to as many seeder machines as possible to ensure future availability and high speed DL.

File size is 383 MB and includes the dingo ("golden") and ermine updates plus instructions on how to use them, plus pdf and epub versions of the user guide. The file does not contain anything for the EE.

Here's a link to the torrent file:
http://www.rehorst.com/mrehorst/PocketEdge_updates.zip.torrent

My computer is on and connected almost 24/7 except when windows insists on shutting down to apply a security bandaid.

If Entourage happens to release a final version of froyo (yah, sure, youbetcha!) I'll pull this torrent and update the files before reseeding the torrent.

yugami
05-30-2011, 08:44 AM
As a side note, and I'm not going to test this myself (hopefully someone with 2 may do it) it looks like if you change a line in the update.sh in the update file you can turn 0.9 into a golden update.

Dcubed
06-01-2011, 04:13 AM
Will this work for me in a month? I often have problems getting connected to anything through my EE here in China and was hoping against hope that Entourage would make it until July and I could get the Ermine update.

I'll be back in the US June 25, and can try things but I am not terribly tech savvy and don't want to break my EE. I hope someone can help!

yugami
06-01-2011, 08:11 AM
if its not working people here will have the file and something can be figured out.

kennyminot
06-01-2011, 09:03 AM
FYI . . .

You absolutely can use the Ermine update.zip to flash your Edge. I actually needed to do it after I messed up my system by screwing around with the permissions section. However, the update appears to REQUIRE Dingo to already be installed. So, if you screw up your Ermine build, you need to flash back to Dingo and then flash again to Ermine.

So, just so everybody knows, I managed to get my system working with just the update.zip files.

emusan
06-01-2011, 11:28 AM
FYI . . .

You absolutely can use the Ermine update.zip to flash your Edge. I actually needed to do it after I messed up my system by screwing around with the permissions section. However, the update appears to REQUIRE Dingo to already be installed. So, if you screw up your Ermine build, you need to flash back to Dingo and then flash again to Ermine.

So, just so everybody knows, I managed to get my system working with just the update.zip files.

This may be due to what yugami was saying, in that this is not a golden update, I may try and do what he suggested to see if we can make it golden(and therefore not need Dingo in order to apply it).

geckoFeet
06-01-2011, 12:32 PM
On the chance that they might be useful, I put some files on Stinky, my little living-room server:

http://dustyfeet.com/edge

namely, the two ermine updates (ee and pocket - you'll have to figure out which is which from the file names) plus Mark Rehorst's (Mark: your avatar is MAJOR CREEPY) nice pocket-edge pack. I'm seeding the torrent for the latter as well, although not many others are, and my torrent server isn't up 24/7. Stinky is always up, except for maintenance reboots, and once when the power cord got pulled and I didn't notice for some hours; so people could just download from there (download speed should be ok because of FiOs line).

If there are other things that people want to park there (permanently or not), let me know. I'm not a hacker, but at least can donate server space.

Aarimus
06-01-2011, 06:41 PM
This reply is in response to lorenzoens over here: http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/showthread.php?2059

To install the update:
The steps are the same as downgrading from Ermine to Dingo. (https://www.entourageedge.com/support/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=263&nav=0)
2. place the file in the root of a FAT32 USB flash drive (I think a SD card will work too)
3. With the Edge off and the flash drive plugged in, hold down the MENU and ROTATE buttons.
5. Within 1 minute the Edge should start upgrading, the process will take a while, ~10 minutes, keep it plugged in.

I downloaded the file from the link labeled for Pocket Edge, renamed it to update.zip and put it in the root of a usb flash drive (does it matter that there are other files on the flash drive?), and followed these instructions, but it just powers on up without upgrading.

I have a pocket edge with:

Model number: edgejr
Firmware version: 1.6
Kernel version: 2.6.29 buildmaster@zeke #17
Build number: DINGO-1.13

Is there something else I need to do first before upgrading to Ermine?

Any help is much appreciated.

-Paul

geckoFeet
06-01-2011, 06:46 PM
Sound like you did everything right, but obviously you didn't. Other files on the root of the flashdrive don't matter - maybe the flash drive is formatted in some weird way that the entourage can't read? (This should be easy enough to test.) Otherwise, my guess would be you didn't hold the buttons correctly or long enough - you have to hold two buttons through the power-on cycle and then keep holding.

Aarimus
06-01-2011, 06:50 PM
Is there any indicator I can look for to know when to let off the buttons? Do I hold them until it says it is upgrading?

Aarimus
06-01-2011, 07:02 PM
I've verified that the USB drive is using a FAT file system. I've tried holding the menu and rotate keys for 4-5 seconds as suggested on the enTourage Support Center, for 10 seconds as suggested here, and even held them down for nearly 2 minutes which only resulted in repeated reboots. After letting off of the two keys it always just boots up as normal.

geckoFeet
06-01-2011, 07:03 PM
*scratches head* I don't remember - I do remember it took me two or three tries before I got it. I thought I was doing the same thing each time. In my case it was definitely the buttons - sometimes it's a little difficult to tell when they're pressed enough or not, even in normal usage; I've gotten into the habit of squeezing them between fingers and thumb (thumb on the back side of the machine, of course); but I couldn't do that when doing the upgrade, because I don't have two thumbs on one hand. So you may have to play around a bit - put the machine on a hard surface (I'd volunteer my head, but it's not flat enough), be sure you're pressing hard in the middle of the buttons. And keep asking for advice; maybe someone will chime with other ideas in.

Aarimus
06-01-2011, 07:53 PM
Still no luck. I've tried holding the menu/rotate buttons in several different time intervals between 5 seconds and 60+ seconds, over 10 attempts so far.

geckoFeet
06-01-2011, 07:57 PM
You've checked that the flashdrive is readable (by sticking it in your Dingo edGe and seeing if you can find the update.zip file)? Also, are you sure the entire thing downloaded? File length should be 147709319

pyxiwulf
06-02-2011, 01:05 AM
when I finally succeeded yesterday I had to use the file pack from the torrent (which is now up to 6 seeders! woot!) not the one linked in the first post. And it took like 42 tries. :smack: And required a change of user. And a hold down of the reset button before the flash process for like 10 seconds, until the speakers popped. No idea if it was the change of file, the # 42, the user, or the reset, but something did it finally.

geckoFeet
06-02-2011, 02:23 AM
Hmmm ... if that pocket-edge update.zip is bad, I wonder if the edge.zip is also bad. In any event, it gives A2rimus something else to try - if he/she doesn't want to bother with the torrent, the same file pack is available for direct download at http://dustyfeet.com/edge/PocketEdge_updates_by_Mark_Rehorst.zip

Filark
06-02-2011, 04:48 AM
Aarimus, I think I remember reading that the USB stick has to be small capacity. Someone said 2GB (I think) works best. Can anyone confirm?

Welcome! I hope you get it upgraded soon. :)

pyxiwulf
06-02-2011, 10:42 AM
my stick is 4gb, so we know that's small enough

geckoFeet
06-02-2011, 11:47 AM
<giggle> (It's ok; my stick was only 2GB, so smaller than yours.)

emusan
06-02-2011, 11:49 AM
<giggle>

you have a dirty mind my friend... *quietly lets out a small chuckle himself*

Aarimus
06-02-2011, 12:07 PM
You've checked that the flashdrive is readable (by sticking it in your Dingo edGe and seeing if you can find the update.zip file)?

Yes, I am able to browse to the update.zip file on the usb stick and see its contents from within the PocketEdge file browser.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm downloading the torrent now and I'll let you know how it goes!

- Paul

mrlanrat
06-03-2011, 01:08 AM
Why is the link to the file on entourage's servers not working for you guys? It works just fine for me.

I would think you would want a copy of the file from the source links in my first post, all the other links are just copies of the same files.

Kewlcat
06-03-2011, 01:55 AM
And yeah, I'm netrobot on Entourage. What I want to know is, Is Kewlcat here the same one as on SmartAppsWorld? (and if so, what happened to the Cheetah with headphones avatar?)

Nope thats not me.
Will check that site out later though...;)

javese
06-03-2011, 02:07 AM
I made a successful offline update using the zip file downloaded from
http://cdn.entourageedge.com/permine/update.zip.ermine-0.9 today,with a 8G usb stick.

Sjarrel
06-03-2011, 03:29 AM
Aarimus, I think I remember reading that the USB stick has to be small capacity. Someone said 2GB (I think) works best. Can anyone confirm?

I use a 16Gb stick. Works fine.

North19
06-03-2011, 04:09 AM
anyone know where I could look for dingo golden files to downgrade then re-upgrade the used EE I got today (which has browser crash issues)?

I've tried the hotfile.com link but it says it's downloading and then hangs and doesn't do anything.

DaleDe
06-03-2011, 11:56 AM
I made a successful offline update using the zip file downloaded from
http://cdn.entourageedge.com/permine/update.zip.ermine-0.9 today,with a 8G usb stick.

Welcome to all the new users to MobileRead. Be aware that linking to an external site will require approval of a moderator until you have made enough posts to ensure that you are not a spammer. Nothing personal is intended but we have to keep the site clean. Be patient, the posting will get approved when a moderator looks it over or avoid external links until you have posted 10 times or more. Similar rules are used for signatures.

Dale

EdgeLover523
06-03-2011, 12:31 PM
I just registered a new PE and did an update to ermine using the "update" function on the entourage web site. I don't know if the area to agree to beta is still up as I used the same registration I used on my other PE.

bucsfan2455
06-03-2011, 01:49 PM
I upgraded to Ermine and started receiving the white screen of death. I contacted Entourage and proceeded with the downgrade to Dingo, but the battery dead mid stream. I sent the PE to Entourage, but they closed down shop before they received it. I have tried several times to downgrade without success. Does anyone have any idea how to reload the OS completely?

emusan
06-03-2011, 01:55 PM
I upgraded to Ermine and started receiving the white screen of death. I contacted Entourage and proceeded with the downgrade to Dingo, but the battery dead mid stream. I sent the PE to Entourage, but they closed down shop before they received it. I have tried several times to downgrade without success. Does anyone have any idea how to reload the OS completely?

Have you tried using the golden update.zip, there is one for the PE around here somewhere, if done right it should restore everything to factory OS settings...

bucsfan2455
06-03-2011, 02:06 PM
Yeah that is the one Entourage service emailed me, but I think powering off in the middle did something. I never get the message the software is being updated now. I am on attempt number 5 today.

emusan
06-03-2011, 03:11 PM
was this the same update.zip and same flashdrive you used last time?

bucsfan2455
06-03-2011, 03:25 PM
I have been using a different USB stick. I have used the same update.zip file, and the one I found in the forum. I actually thought the USB stick was the problem during the original downgrade, because it had a autorun app on it for Windows.

emusan
06-03-2011, 04:28 PM
could it be that this new usb stick is formatted in a way that the eDGe can't recognize it?

CharlieBird
06-03-2011, 05:05 PM
True to my word, emusan, I come bringing a problem. I've been "into" my PE for close to 30hrs. straight, w/about 3hrs. sleep! The main problem I had most of yesterday was (first off I totally screwed it up again and had to do two factory resets) I could not get it to accept the Ermine update. I tried everything I could think of, counting parts of different updates, rearranging them...nothing worked. About 4AM I redownloaded the 0.9 updates provided by mrlanrat and Last_of_the_PEs (they're the same of course) and the trick for my PE was to only hold the Menu/Rotate buttons for about 4-5secs instead of 10secs. I almost fainted when it booted up Ermine.

Now it's rooted, w/a few basic apps installed; I have copied from my phone:
Contacts Sync Adapter
Gmail
Google Partner Setup
Market
Market Updater
Talk
YouTube

These all have three components because I copied all three from TitanBkUP on my phone. I could not find Google Services Framework or Calendar Sync Adapter in TitanBkUp on my phone or my QT7, so I took a clean (one apk, one component) from a file I had downloaded sometime back of all Android System 2.1 Apps.

This is the part that puzzles me. It seems to me that it would be better to use all clean copies from said 2.1 Apps; that the 7 apps from my phone will be contaminated w/info from the phone that will not be accepted/read by Google on the PE. Can you unpuzzle me?

Oh, the other odd thing that happened: I had both a thumb drive and a sdCard inadvertently connected and when I checked Storage thru Library, it listed Internal Storage, SDCard and USB, but the latter two had no data and Internal Storage had incorporated the USB under the lable edgeSDcard.
d

bucsfan2455
06-03-2011, 05:06 PM
Somewhere I read it was suppose to be FAT32. Is that correct?

emusan
06-03-2011, 05:21 PM
This is the part that puzzles me. It seems to me that it would be better to use all clean copies from said 2.1 Apps; that the 7 apps from my phone will be contaminated w/info from the phone that will not be accepted/read by Google on the PE. Can you unpuzzle me?

Unfortunately, if you just use clean ones without the data from Titanium Backup you will get some network errors when trying to add a google account, I'm not entirely sure why yet(I don't know if it will ever be certain), but we know that using the data with the backups does allow them to work as long as you use the same google account with your phone as with your PE. I hope this answers your question.

Oh, the other odd thing that happened: I had both a thumb drive and a sdCard inadvertently connected and when I checked Storage thru Library, it listed Internal Storage, SDCard and USB, but the latter two had no data and Internal Storage had incorporated the USB under the lable edgeSDcard.

That seems like a very odd problem, have you tried restarting the device and seeing if it changes the labels/status back to normal?

In the future you can create a new topic with new questions, unless your sure that it has to do with the topic you are posting in... It will help to keep everything organized.

Somewhere I read it was suppose to be FAT32. Is that correct?

It may support FAT32 normally, though I'm not sure if the update mode supports it, you may want to wait for someone more knowledgeable about that to answer...

pyxiwulf
06-03-2011, 08:40 PM
yes, update supports FAT32 says my FAT32 stick that reflashed my PE with the golden update

Sarasuru
06-04-2011, 10:55 PM
Well, here it is:
EE: http://cdn.entourageedge.com/eermine/update.zip.ermine-0.9
PE: http://cdn.entourageedge.com/permine/update.zip.ermine-0.9
(PE version thanks to Last_of_the_PEs)

Grab it while its hot, and before the entourage servers turn dark for good!

I know this is the file downloaded by the edge when doing the update. I got the url using this handy app: http://www.appbrain.com/app/shark-for-root/lv.n3o.shark

This was done on a full size edge, don't know if it is the same file used by the pocket edge, someone with a PE should find out.

Enjoy!

Total noobie here, so i apologize for the simplicity of the question, but how do I install Ermine onto my PE? I downloaded the file onto the device and was unable to unzip it, so I went over to my mac and did the unpacking there. Now I have the files and shell on my MacBoo Pro and I don't know what to do with them.

Does my Pocket edge need to be rooted? If so, does anyone have a suggestion for how to do it?

Thanks for the help!

emusan
06-05-2011, 12:18 AM
Total noobie here, so i apologize for the simplicity of the question, but how do I install Ermine onto my PE? I downloaded the file onto the device and was unable to unzip it, so I went over to my mac and did the unpacking there. Now I have the files and shell on my MacBoo Pro and I don't know what to do with them.

Does my Pocket edge need to be rooted? If so, does anyone have a suggestion for how to do it?

Thanks for the help!

Actually, you don't even need to unzip it, all you do is place the update.zip(change it to update.zip if its different) into the root folder(top level) of an SD card or USB drive, then put that into your eDGe, reboot your eDGe, and while turning on hold down the menu and rotate buttons for ~7secs, you should get a notification of the update happening.

glow
06-05-2011, 04:04 AM
Download links up on Knowledge Base page
https://www.entourageedge.com/support/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=265

smirkette
06-05-2011, 08:08 PM
Hey Sarasuru,

I had a devil of a time trying to update my PE on my Mac (my attempt to upgrade to Ermine stuck my PE in a boot-up loop, so I wanted to downgrade it using the Golden Update). I had absolutely no success until switched to my Windows XP-running netbook to download the file, reformat the USB to FAT (not FAT 32), copy the file onto the USB drive, and use that to update, which worked!

So if all else fails, try getting your hands on a Windows machine? Good luck! I remember just how miserable it felt...

geckoFeet
06-06-2011, 12:22 PM
Hmmm ... could be that the original download was garbled because the system thought it was a text file rather than a binary file.

Sarasuru
06-06-2011, 04:32 PM
Hey Sarasuru,

I had a devil of a time trying to update my PE on my Mac (my attempt to upgrade to Ermine stuck my PE in a boot-up loop, so I wanted to downgrade it using the Golden Update). I had absolutely no success until switched to my Windows XP-running netbook to download the file, reformat the USB to FAT (not FAT 32), copy the file onto the USB drive, and use that to update, which worked!

So if all else fails, try getting your hands on a Windows machine? Good luck! I remember just how miserable it felt...

Wow. That sounds super frustrating! Luckily emusan's advice worked like a charm. If Ermine starts going all funky on me I'll try fixing it from Windows-XP. I want to get that running on my Mac through bootcamp anyway.

Thanks for all the help, folks!

sjpadilla
07-01-2011, 09:52 PM
How is this working out for everybody? Did it trash any apps? Did your library survive?

mrb186
07-02-2011, 07:51 AM
Here's a dumb question: What do I have, EE or PE?? This is what I have coming from Woot: enTourage Pocket eDGe Dualbook. I assume this must be a "PE"?? I've already downloaded one of the zip files, but not sure which one. Not exactly a quick process with my "Road Runner Lite" service.

Gunnerp245
07-02-2011, 10:17 AM
Here's a dumb question: What do I have, EE or PE?? This is what I have coming from Woot: enTourage Pocket eDGe Dualbook. I assume this must be a "PE"?? I've already downloaded one of the zip files, but not sure which one. Not exactly a quick process with my "Road Runner Lite" service.

PE = Pocket Edge 7"
EE = Original Entourage Edge 10"

syclone
07-03-2011, 04:16 PM

To install the update:

Does the pEdge do the unzipping or do you have to unzip and upload the unzipped files into the thumb drive?

Thanks.

emusan
07-03-2011, 05:18 PM
Does the pEdge do the unzipping or do you have to unzip and upload the unzipped files into the thumb drive?

Thanks.

it will do the unzipping, just place the zip file in the root as you see it(other than renaming if needed). Also, ES file explore can unzip .zip files if you need it to.

syclone
07-03-2011, 06:52 PM
Wow! Thanks for the fast reply.

Although, I don't know if your Avatar and my Avatar are compatible :)

isalivia2003
07-04-2011, 02:46 PM
Got mine from Woot Friday, (it didnt have too far to travel) i have been trying for days w/o sucess to update to ermine, got it done finally by :
1)changing usb stick to Fat not fat32, (done by formatting usb)
2)also changed properties of file to opens with adobe pdf (right click look at properties)
3)also named it 'update' not update.zip.zip (will still be update.zip in properties)
4) i held down those 2 keys until i saw the updating screen. (longer than 10 secs)

i am not the most computer literate person but I dont consider myself to be helpless...
anyway hope this helps any wooters who will be on here trying to figure this out after they get theirs in the mail soon, good luck I am off to hook mine up with my local library now ;)

ivanjt
07-04-2011, 05:26 PM
Got mine from Woot Friday, (it didnt have too far to travel) i have been trying for days w/o sucess to update to ermine, got it done finally by :
1)changing usb stick to Fat not fat32, (done by formatting usb)
2)also changed properties of file to opens with adobe pdf (right click look at properties)
3)also named it 'update' not update.zip.zip (will still be update.zip in properties)
4) i held down those 2 keys until i saw the updating screen. (longer than 10 secs)

i am not the most computer literate person but I dont consider myself to be helpless...
anyway hope this helps any wooters who will be on here trying to figure this out after they get theirs in the mail soon, good luck I am off to hook mine up with my local library now ;)
I'm not sure what you were trying to do.

Yes change the format of the USB stick to FAT if necessary.

Your second item does not make any sense at all - how do you look at a zip file with adobe pdf, I assume reader, it won't see anything.

How did you end up with update.zip.zip when all you had to do was copy update.zip to the USB stick?

It looks as if most of your problems were of your own making by relying on windows and not realising the default action in a windows file viewer is to hide the extension of the file.

Sorry to sound hard but I have seen too many people make mistakes by thinking windows will do it for them.

Filark
07-05-2011, 02:19 AM
Welcome to MobileRead and the PE, isalivia! :)

I'm glad you found a way to update your PE. Thanks for sharing your experience -- someone else may be going down the same path you did.

I hope you had no trouble hooking up to your library. If you did, give a holler. That's one of the few things I actually know about! (Although I usually put my library books through Calibre before copying them to my eDGes). Having access to library books is one of the great things about the PE and EE, in my opinion. :D

manbass
07-05-2011, 12:38 PM
I need some one to confirm...a new EE cannot go from 0.24 Badger directly to Ermine Froyo 2.2 with the EE Ermine update zip file...correct? I must find a Dingo update first? Is that the "Golden" file? Not sure how to update the OS on the EE from raw Badger 0.24 to Froyo.

I upgraded from PE to EE just to work a bigger size Jounal and there is no Jounal in the EE.

Dangit.

Appreciate any help.

garyhgaryh
07-05-2011, 12:55 PM
Hi I bought a PE from WOOT last week and am expecting it in the mail this coming thur. For some reason I'm really excited about this purchase since I originally was to buy a Transformer (ASus). This dualbook will hold me over until a better one comes out next year or the price drop on the Transformer.

Anyways, will this update to 2.2 will support the dual display since the update is from Entourage (someone correct me if I am wrong)? In the future, if I update to a newer version of the OS from a generic source, will I lose the dual book functionality (the interoperability between the ereader and tablet screens)?

Thanks,
Gary

ptsenter
07-05-2011, 01:22 PM
Anyways, will this update to 2.2 will support the dual display since the update is from Entourage (someone correct me if I am wrong)?
It will and it does.
In the future, if I update to a newer version of the OS from a generic source, will I lose the dual book functionality (the interoperability between the ereader and tablet screens)?
More likely than not. As I see it today each new upgrade completely wipes out old release. eDGe has a renderer for eink which can't be backed up, at least with Titanium.

Gunnerp245
07-05-2011, 04:03 PM
...I upgraded from PE to EE just to work a bigger size Jounal and there is no Jounal in the EE...

You have no Journal 'after' upgrading to ermine on the 10" edge? If so, this is the first reported as everyone else, self included, still have a Journal after upgrading to the entourage edge ermine beta. Did you check it is in the "X" menu and not just without a shortcut.

Gunnerp245
07-05-2011, 04:08 PM
... In the future, if I update to a newer version of the OS from a generic source, will I lose the dual book functionality (the interoperability between the ereader and tablet screens)? Thanks, Gary

I would have to say you'd lose the interoperability when upgrading with a generic android source. It has been discussed in the 'archive' the reason for the lag in entourage upgrading the devices was in part due to the custom software needed to 'bridge' android with/into the ereader.

manbass
07-05-2011, 08:36 PM
Gunner...no, I just opened the box and am at Badger as I stated. Before doing any update at all, I am asking these basic questions after reading a widely varying amount of posts which I cant reconcile. (my fault not theirs).

So Whats the answers? How do I update when it appears no auto update is being found on my part. Do I look for dingo? Then Coyote? Then Ermine? Skip any or all? Is the Journal program a part of any of these updates to the OS?

I am just a user, the coders around here baffle me with acronyms. Sorry. :)

Addendum

The EE auto updated to Ermine as I was posting above. (I turned on auto update and executed it)

Its all there, Journal, Froyomail, etc.

I was badly assuming since Entourage closed I would have to do the manual update.

So if Entourage is closed....what cloud in the wireless sky is sending this out? Curious.

Filark
07-05-2011, 10:59 PM
There are still a few people left (I think) at enTourage. Probably a very few . . . and they left some lights on for us. ;)

Clever
07-06-2011, 12:41 AM
Gunner...no, I just opened the box and am at Badger as I stated. Before doing any update at all, I am asking these basic questions after reading a widely varying amount of posts which I cant reconcile. (my fault not theirs).

So Whats the answers? How do I update when it appears no auto update is being found on my part. Do I look for dingo? Then Coyote? Then Ermine? Skip any or all? Is the Journal program a part of any of these updates to the OS?

I am just a user, the coders around here baffle me with acronyms. Sorry. :)

Addendum

The EE auto updated to Ermine as I was posting above. (I turned on auto update and executed it)

Its all there, Journal, Froyomail, etc.

I was badly assuming since Entourage closed I would have to do the manual update.

So if Entourage is closed....what cloud in the wireless sky is sending this out? Curious.

Thanks. I'm waiting for my Woot Pocket Edge to arrive. Is turning on Auto Update all you did? what do you mean by "execute" it?

Did you need to register first or do anything else? Sounds pretty simple compared to everyone struggling with updating from a USB stick.

I don't get it. If it's that simple, why is anyone bothering with the USB stick method? What am I missing here?

Thanks for the help. I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on it!

Filark
07-06-2011, 12:56 AM
Welcome, Clever! :D

I think the USB stick method is an old one, from when the Ermine beta first came out. It works if you can't use the Updater.

I would suggest you let the Pocket eDGe lead you through the startup process, including registering (which you need to do for Adobe DRM to work for ebooks).

Good luck! :)

Gunnerp245
07-06-2011, 09:35 AM
There are still a few people left (I think) at enTourage. Probably a very few . . . and they left some lights on for us. ;)

More like candles...:eek:

CAUK
07-06-2011, 08:17 PM
My Woot! Pocket Edge just arrived and I used the Update function and turned on Auto-update, but it just updated me to Dingo 1.13. Is that yet another name for Ermine? If so, I still can't play YouTube videos.

Gunnerp245
07-06-2011, 08:36 PM
My Woot! Pocket Edge just arrived and I used the Update function and turned on Auto-update, but it just updated me to Dingo 1.13. Is that yet another name for Ermine? If so, I still can't play YouTube videos.

Ermine is entourage's name for the integration of Froyo and entourage specific code; the beta is available here (http://www.ethanphoenix.com/entourageedge/files/Firmware/Ermine%20%28Froyo%29%200.9/).

vicinc
07-07-2011, 10:29 AM
If there is any Entourage left, why the do not release the SDK to community finally, also documentation regarding the EINK control and EINK drivers source? that will help us keeping the device alive for longer.

pyxiwulf
07-07-2011, 08:57 PM
If there is any Entourage left, why the do not release the SDK to community finally, also documentation regarding the EINK control and EINK drivers source? that will help us keeping the device alive for longer.

Because *if* they haven't sold it already as is rumored, there is money to be had in that IP. From what I could dig up, this was a small company, mostly the one guy who was going to profit aside from his investors, and those investors sank tens of millions of dollars into this idea. Giving it up for free is not going to happen by official means.

Cincicraigslist
07-08-2011, 01:04 AM
I have been fighting with this all night. I tried the USB stick version and that didn't work. The updater on my Pocket Edge sees there is an update but never actually finishes the update. The highest I have seen it get is 34% and it is VERY slow even though it is connected to my wi-fi.

Filark
07-08-2011, 02:07 AM
Hi Cinci! Welcome to MobileRead! :)

The update is very slow even at the best of times. If you are awake either very late tonight or very early tomorrow morning you might have better luck then.

I hope you get it without too much more frustration! :o

JoeZambo
07-08-2011, 11:06 AM
I just got my PE last night. So far I really like it. Now I just have to figure out how to get this thing on 2.2. I know this may sound stupid but I am not too "techie." What is all this root talk and do I have to do it to get Ermine on the PE?

vicinc
07-08-2011, 03:18 PM
1. Joe, you need root to get the market, not ermine and to customize the system. not to upgrade to ermine.
2. Regarding the eink source I do not think they can make a lot of money. same epd controller like in first nook... and alex. people figured the nook quite easy. same will happen here if we get the right guys involved.
3. just an idea, how difficult is to change the servers for updating from entourage to a different host in a new rom?

Gunnerp245
07-08-2011, 04:02 PM
I just got my PE last night. So far I really like it. Now I just have to figure out how to get this thing on 2.2. I know this may sound stupid but I am not too "techie." What is all this root talk and do I have to do it to get Ermine on the PE?

@JoeZambo

Welcome to Mobileread and especially to entourage edge! :thumbsup:

JoeZambo
07-08-2011, 05:32 PM
1. Joe, you need root to get the market, not ermine and to customize the system. not to upgrade to ermine.
2. Regarding the eink source I do not think they can make a lot of money. same epd controller like in first nook... and alex. people figured the nook quite easy. same will happen here if we get the right guys involved.
3. just an idea, how difficult is to change the servers for updating from entourage to a different host in a new rom?

Vicinc- Can it still be rooted once it has been updated to Ermine?

Does the androidpolice method for rooting still work? Are there any other easy routes?

JoeZambo
07-08-2011, 05:33 PM
Thanks!

ivanjt
07-08-2011, 05:58 PM
JoeZambo, First thing, since you say you are not too 'techie' just follow the instructions to update to Ermine. Then you can use z4root if you really need to try that - it only works on Ermine.

If you are new to Android I would advise you to update then learn what the PE can do before trying anything adventurous.

JoeZambo
07-08-2011, 07:56 PM
Yeah I guess I should learn to swim before I start jumping off the diving board.

Thanks!

tomh922
07-08-2011, 10:22 PM
Hi all got the PE yesterday. Registered it just now. The auto update said I was uptodate but that's just with Dingo. So I'll be trying the ermine in a bit. I was poking around the fourms earlier and saw someone say the ermine update is missing it's just Dingo. I downloaded ermine several weeks ago, at work, so if that is true I should have a real copy. time will tell.

Clever
07-08-2011, 11:12 PM
I got my Pocket Edge today. I registered and checked auto update. Auto update was already on. I clicked the Update Now button and it found an update, downloaded it and rebooted it. After all that I'm on Dingo 1.13. It locked up on me soon after the update and reboot and then went dark and wouldn't wake up. I had to hit the reset button to get it back.

I've tried telling it to update again, and it says I've got the latest version. I've tried several times.

So to get to Ermine do I need to do the USB stick thing? I did download the update from one of the links at the beginning of this topic.

Thanks for the help.

Update: I went ahead and did the update from a USB Stick and it worked like a charm. I'm now running Ermine 0.9. VERY COOL! I see hours of exploring ahead of me. Thanks everyone who posted here for the advice and guidance.

Wayward Wampa
07-11-2011, 08:54 AM
I just got my Pocket Edge from the Woot sale a while back, and I'm having trouble updating to Ermine. I downloaded the PE update from the first post on this thread, renamed it update.zip, placed it on an empty flash drive, plugged the drive into the PE while it was off, held down the menu and rotate buttons, and slid the power switch while holding down the buttons. I wrote down those steps just now to make sure I didn't miss anything. For whatever reason, the device just booted up normally. If I hold down the buttons for longer than ten seconds, the device just continuously reboots until I let them go, in which case it reboots and starts. I did have the automatic updater update me to 1.6 after turning it on for the first time. Should I downgrade first before upgrading to Ermine? Am I doing something else wrong? If anyone has any advice, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

ivanjt
07-11-2011, 12:15 PM
I did have the automatic updater update me to 1.6 after turning it on for the first time. Should I downgrade first before upgrading to Ermine? Am I doing something else wrong? If anyone has any advice, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
First thing, are you using windows? If so does it show the file extensions? If it doesn't and you renamed the file update.zip it will in fact be update.zip.zip which will not work.

If you are at 1.6 there is no need to downgrade.

Marikafaye
07-11-2011, 01:09 PM

To install the update:

I am so so Happy I found this!! I did this and now I have Amazon appstore and kindle app on my PE and they are both working!! YAY!!

:thanks::2thumbsup

Wayward Wampa
07-11-2011, 04:31 PM
First thing, are you using windows? If so does it show the file extensions? If it doesn't and you renamed the file update.zip it will in fact be update.zip.zip which will not work.

If you are at 1.6 there is no need to downgrade.

I'm using Windows 7. When I rename the file it becomes a .zip file and just says update as the name of the zip file. This zip file has a number of other zip files inside it, so it seems like this is what I'm supposed to be doing, but it's still not working.

fmroger
07-11-2011, 04:34 PM
I got a pocket eDGe from woot also. Found out the hard way to upgrade to Ermine. Do NOT rename the file UPGRADE.ZIP just name it UPGRADE worked like a charm. Found thyis out by going to Storage and seeing that the upgrade file was named “UPGRADE.ZIP.ZIP” removed it and renamed it UPGRADE. And followed directions from post Number one and Number ten. Thank you very much mrlanrat

Roger

Wayward Wampa
07-11-2011, 05:34 PM
Ok, I figured it out. When I renamed it update.zip, it became a zip file. after that, I renamed it update and loaded it onto my flash drive. Worked just fine. Thanks everyone for your help.

Filark
07-11-2011, 08:10 PM
Welcome to all you new PE owners! :)

It makes me very happy each time I read that someone has successfully updated -- I hope you will each enjoy your new device -- it really has something for everyone, in my opinion! :D

ivanjt
07-11-2011, 08:35 PM
Welcome to all you new PE owners! :)

It makes me very happy each time I read that someone has successfully updated -- I hope you will each enjoy your new device -- it really has something for everyone, in my opinion! :D
Which makes me wonder why Entourage didn't try marketing to a wider audience in the first place. I only found out about the EE by accident when I was looking for a large screen e-ink reader similar to my DX that would display epub books with out conversion.

Last_of_the_PEs
07-12-2011, 02:49 AM
WOW! That's a REALLY shopworn topic. We've all wondered why Entourage focused on academia! The whole thing is still sad to this day. In fact, I had more people ask me what my PE was today at a board meeting where I took notes on it.

Of course, at the original price, most people would say (as too many said) "uh, never mind."

tree
07-12-2011, 09:14 AM
I just got a Pocket Edge, and want to upgrade to 2.2. Mine still has the Dingo on it. I tried to follow one of the posts from earlier, but could not get the file to download. I know the Entourage store is closed, but I saw a post from someone dated yesterday saying they were successful in upgrading. Can anyone tell me how to get the proper 2.2 file? (Sorry, not too knowledgeable about computers, hope this makes some sense to someone!). :help:

vicinc
07-12-2011, 01:33 PM
just do a search on the stickies. also experimental pocket edge is available here.

Filark
07-12-2011, 09:39 PM
Hi tree! :)

Have you had any luck yet? It can be scary if you aren't overly familiar with computers or Android! ;)

Here are the official instructions: https://www.entourageedge.com/support/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=265, although you've probably seen that already!

Are you having trouble downloading the update file to your computer, or installing the update on your Pocket eDGe?

If the trouble is installing, keep trying. Try a different USB stick, or even a microSD card if you have one. Try renaming the file "update" and letting it add the ".zip" itself.

I hope you get it! :)

P.S. Unless there's something you want in the Ermine (Android 2.2) update, you don't have to update. You can get to know your PE and try the update later if you want.

chokra
07-13-2011, 11:42 AM
tried the same thing, doesnt work for me. used a usb and a microsd card but still no avail...it keeps on rebooting. one clarification, is it update or upgrade?

Gunnerp245
07-13-2011, 01:23 PM
tried the same thing, doesnt work for me. used a usb and a microsd card but still no avail...it keeps on rebooting. one clarification, is it update or upgrade?

Update, as update.zip but not update.zip.zip.

chokra
07-13-2011, 04:59 PM
no luck at all. can't figure out why. i do get a lost.dir folder in the usb after my 'failed' try at the update, but nothing on the tablet. should i try a reset and then try for the update?

Gunnerp245
07-13-2011, 06:42 PM
no luck at all. can't figure out why. i do get a lost.dir folder in the usb after my 'failed' try at the update, but nothing on the tablet. should i try a reset and then try for the update?

Thoughts:
(1) make sure you have the correct file the PE not EE
(2) different USB,
(3) make sure the file is in the root i.e. not in a folder,
(4) a smaller GB size USB stick

other then that...?:blink:

vicinc
07-13-2011, 07:16 PM
have you tried the new market 3 apk from google?

chokra
07-14-2011, 12:48 PM
this is very frustrating. Not able to do the update at all.
usb - fat reformatted
update file - named update.zip no luck, renamed to just update no luck.
PE boots up as normal after i let go of menu and the rotate keys (i have tried up to 25 secs).
i am not able to register anymore, the tube app will not work on any videos, i am totally lost ast to what to do.

chokra
07-14-2011, 12:49 PM
can someone pls explain to me what difference will it make if i update to ermine as compare to root it. thx.

vicinc
07-14-2011, 03:48 PM
android 2.2 froyo vs 1.6 donut

chokra
07-14-2011, 04:08 PM
thanks vicnic, but i was inquiring on what benefits are to upgrading it to 2.2 vs rooting it.
sorry, i am new to tablets just trying to get a hang on it.

chokra
07-14-2011, 04:52 PM
Finally Finally!!
the file i had downloaded was not complete! it was 143mb or so. I redownloaded the file from dustyfeet (thanks to the guy who posted them their) and now its in the update process.

ivanjt
07-14-2011, 05:04 PM
Chokra, rooting it is not the same as updating and it does not facilitate the update at all.

What operating system are you using on your computer to rename the update.zip-pe-ermine-0.9 file. If it is windows and you are sure you are not ending up with update.zip.zip instead of update.zip on your USB stick, then you could have a bad download. Try downloading again. You can also go into folder options --> view and unmark 'hide extensions for known file types', this will show the extensions of the files in either 'my computer' or 'windows explorer' so you will know that you have only one .zip and not two on the USB stick.

Also make sure you use a standard USB stick, not one with U3 or anything else on it.

chokra
07-14-2011, 05:19 PM
ivanjt thanks, i had to re download the update file, for some reason it did not download the complete file. now i have the update done.

Filark
07-14-2011, 08:37 PM
Whew and congratulations, chokra! :D

Now you can decide whether or not to root. I vote no, for now. :p

melitabel
07-14-2011, 08:54 PM
I assume some of the issues will be the same, so posting questions here.

I have the file on a USB drive, it's a zip file (not saved as zip.zip). Followed the directions, but it just turned on normally, no update. I'm leaving work now, will try again when I get home but in the meantime -

1. How do I know whether the USB drive is formatted as FAT? I can't reformat this one, I have too much on it, so if that's the problem I have to get another USB drive (or find one of the others that is sitting around someplace).

It's only a 2 GB device, so that's not the problem. The file isn't in a folder. The Edge can detect the file - that is, when I go to Device Storage from the Applications menu, I see the update file listed along with others that are stored on the USB drive.

So I guess if the stick is formatted as FAT, I just try again. But I think verifying the format type is first. Thanks all, you are awesome.

ivanjt
07-15-2011, 08:06 AM
I assume some of the issues will be the same, so posting questions here.

I have the file on a USB drive, it's a zip file (not saved as zip.zip). Followed the directions, but it just turned on normally, no update. I'm leaving work now, will try again when I get home but in the meantime -

1. How do I know whether the USB drive is formatted as FAT? I can't reformat this one, I have too much on it, so if that's the problem I have to get another USB drive (or find one of the others that is sitting around someplace).

It's only a 2 GB device, so that's not the problem. The file isn't in a folder. The Edge can detect the file - that is, when I go to Device Storage from the Applications menu, I see the update file listed along with others that are stored on the USB drive.

So I guess if the stick is formatted as FAT, I just try again. But I think verifying the format type is first. Thanks all, you are awesome.
To find out about the USB stick, assuming you have windows on your computer.
Plug it into the computer and wait for it to connect.
Open 'windows explorer' and highlight the drive.
Right click (or left click if you have changed to a left handed mouse) on the highlight and scroll down to 'properties', that will a dialogue box that will give all the information you need.

You may have problems if the zip is on a USB stick with other files because it might be fragmented. It is best on a stick by itself - you could copy everything off the stick to a temp directory on your computer then format it and copy back the update.zip. Then when you are updated delete the zip from the stick and copy back all the other files.

All of what I describe about windows is taken from a copy of XP that I have running in a VM on my computer so things might be slightly different if you are using win7.

garyhgaryh
07-15-2011, 09:01 AM
I updated to ermine last week and I got a big system update screen a few minutes ago asking me to download the latest update now or later. Is there really a system update for ermine or is there something funky going on?

chokra
07-15-2011, 10:38 AM
Melitabel,

1. use the following site (http://dustyfeet.com/edge/) to download the update file. for some reason the other sites either have an incomplete file, or my downloads just didnt complete as they were suppose to.
2. use a usb stick format it with fat. go to my computer, select the drive that is for the usb, right click on it, and select 'format', under the options it will default to 'fat32', manually select 'fat'. place the update file in there. whatever you do the file should read update.zip. if you are not sure, under the usb explorer screen, go to 'tools', 'folder options', 'view' and locate 'hide extensions for known file types' and make sure its UNCHECKED. and then make sure the update file reads, update.zip.
3.turn off PE. connect the usb stick, and press hold menu and rotate keys, and then switch the power on button. continue holding the menu and rotate for approx 15-20 secs and you should see an update processing...then you are done. hope this helps. thanks to all who have helped me.

melitabel
07-15-2011, 01:48 PM
Thank you, Ivanjt and Chokra. I went and got a new usb stick and reformatted it, and the edge updated in 5 minutes, but then I hadn't upgraded to Ermine yet. The issue was that it came new with no journal installed - indeed, very few of the apps that come installed on most EEs (you can see my original thread here: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142851).

And it's got the Journal now! And everything looks a lot like it does on my PE! Doing the happy dance. Hugs and kisses to all, M.

Filark
07-16-2011, 12:37 AM
I updated to ermine last week and I got a big system update screen a few minutes ago asking me to download the latest update now or later. Is there really a system update for ermine or is there something funky going on?

Welcome, garyhgaryh! :)

It's probably something funky. ;) Did you root your PE? If so, and if you have the auto-update turned on, you are probably getting a bogus message. I don't remember what happens if you run the update, the answer is here someplace, but you might want to turn off the auto-update function.

garyhgaryh
07-16-2011, 10:43 AM
Welcome, garyhgaryh! :)

It's probably something funky. ;) Did you root your PE? If so, and if you have the auto-update turned on, you are probably getting a bogus message. I don't remember what happens if you run the update, the answer is here someplace, but you might want to turn off the auto-update function.

Thanks for the reply and the warm welcome.

Yes, I did root it with Z4mod.

How do I turn off the auto-update?

When I first got my PE, I updated to the latest dingo, but the next day it also asked me to update (again). I noted the version # and I did the upgrade again for kicks to see what would happen and I noticed the version did not increment.

I will take your advice and turn off auto-update and not update.

Thanks,
Gary

pollosmoky
07-16-2011, 08:48 PM
Woohoo! I just wanted to say thanks to everybody on this thread. Due to both your problems [I had similar ones] and your advice, I managed the update.

Gunnerp245
07-16-2011, 09:45 PM
Woohoo! I just wanted to say thanks to everybody on this thread. Due to both your problems [I had similar ones] and your advice, I managed the update.

Welcome to Mobileread; and edge!

chokra
07-18-2011, 11:35 AM
This might be something as a side note, but has anyone experienced problems with the resolution on the PE? I have been using it few hours a day and its giving me a headache and strain on my eyes is horrible. I have asked my sis who I bought one for also, she has not had any issues...just wondering if anyone else here has had any issues. thanks.

emusan
07-18-2011, 11:59 AM
This might be something as a side note, but has anyone experienced problems with the resolution on the PE? I have been using it few hours a day and its giving me a headache and strain on my eyes is horrible. I have asked my sis who I bought one for also, she has not had any issues...just wondering if anyone else here has had any issues. thanks.

depending on how high resolution screens you're used to and how much your eyes can adjust you might, the LCD on the PE is a very low resolution for its size, lower than even the smaller reader screen...

MasterTec
07-18-2011, 12:00 PM
I'm not convinced the resolution is the issue so much as the refresh rate. I do see a bit of flicker coming from it from time to time which leads me to think its refresh rate might be very low.

Gunnerp245
07-18-2011, 07:06 PM
...but has anyone experienced problems with the resolution on the PE? I have been using it few hours a day and its giving me a headache and strain on my eyes is horrible...

No issues.

Filark
07-19-2011, 05:14 AM

I have no such problem, but I use the e-ink side for reading anything of length and so far gaming, websurfing, or using checklists on the LCD is fine. Can you compare yours with your sister's? There's always a chance yours is faulty . . . or you may need new glasses. ;)

chokra
07-19-2011, 10:28 AM
anyone know how to mess around with the refresh rate on PE?

emusan
07-20-2011, 10:52 PM
anyone know how to mess around with the refresh rate on PE?

That would most likely be limited by the hardware, and therefore not really changeable.

immjg
07-22-2011, 01:31 PM

I had same problem, the autoupdate feature is located in Menu>Settings>eDGe Settings>Default Device Preferences>

No more nagging updates message!

dianekbr
07-24-2011, 02:04 AM
Hi everyone. I just got a Pocket Edge (from 1SaleaDay) and have tried numerous times to get it to update to Ermine, but nothing seems to work. I've read all 10 pages here and have tried everything listed (I think) with no luck. I've tried FAT and FAT32. I've tried downloading from the original link, the torrent one, and the dustyfeet one. I've tried a USB stick and SD card. I've tried holding the two buttons for 5 seconds, 7 seconds, 10 seconds, until the cursor starts flashing in the upper right corner, and longer. I've verified that the file is in the root of the USB/card and that it's labeled update.zip (not update.zip.zip). Does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks!

Filark
07-24-2011, 03:02 AM
Hi diane, welcome to MobileRead! :)

These may not be new ideas but here goes:

1. Have you gone as far as you can with the Update function? You should have Dingo 1.13. If you don't, there's a chance that will help.

2. Older, smaller USB sticks seem to work better for some people.

3. Try, try again. Sadly, it just sometimes takes several (or even many) tries for some unlucky people.

Good luck!! Hope it works soon for you! ;)

dianekbr
07-24-2011, 03:16 AM
Filark, thanks for the reply. Yes, I have Dingo 1.13. And I'm using a small stick (only 1 GB) that's two or three years old. I've tried at least 30 or 40 times and am ready to pull my hair out! I guess I'm going to give up for the night and go to bed. Thanks again!

Gunnerp245
07-24-2011, 09:28 AM
Filark, thanks for the reply. Yes, I have Dingo 1.13. And I'm using a small stick (only 1 GB) that's two or three years old. I've tried at least 30 or 40 times and am ready to pull my hair out! I guess I'm going to give up for the night and go to bed. Thanks again!

Are there any other files on the stick e.g. proprietary manufacturer autostart like items? If so, they might be interfering as they attempt to interface with the OS and the update initiates at the same time. :blink:

dianekbr
07-24-2011, 12:26 PM
Are there any other files on the stick e.g. proprietary manufacturer autostart like items? If so, they might be interfering as they attempt to interface with the OS and the update initiates at the same time. :blink:

Nothing else, except that after the update fails, there is an empty folder titled "LOST.DIR". Thanks for the response!

ivanjt
07-24-2011, 02:28 PM
One quick thought. You do have the correct update file, there are 2 one for the PE and one for the EE.

Second thought. Is the download good? To check that see if you can open it on your PC.

dianekbr
07-24-2011, 03:34 PM
One quick thought. You do have the correct update file, there are 2 one for the PE and one for the EE.

Second thought. Is the download good? To check that see if you can open it on your PC.

Thank you!! I think I've finally found the problem, with your help!

Yes, I do have the PE file; however the download apparently is not good. When I try to open it on my PC, it says it's a corrupted file. The dustyfeet one opens fine though, and I've also tried that one several times.

The corrupted file came from Entourage's update instructions, and I downloaded it to the same PC as the dustyfeet one, which apparently downloaded fine. So I'm not sure how to get a good download of the file (I'm not super techy). Any suggestions?

Thank you!

EDIT: It's now updating!! Thank you, thank you! I tried the file from dustyfeet again and made sure that it opened on my computer and showed several zip files inside (as posted by a previous user). Finally!!

Thanks to all who answered!

ivanjt
07-24-2011, 08:14 PM
Glad you got it updating.

I think we will have to collect together a list, in one place, of all the things that should be checked when the update doesn't work.

Main problems so far.
Bad download.
Wrong renaming - update.zip.zip in stead of update.zip
Format and type of USB stick - only FAT or FAT32 and no autostart or other types of drive.
Wrong file.

Can anyone think of anything I've missed?

MeKeye
07-24-2011, 11:58 PM
For you PE users, here it is: http://cdn.entourageedge.com/permine/update.zip.ermine-0.9
(the folder is 'permine' instead of 'eermine')
File sizes are different, so I'm pretty sure these are different, and if they are it probably matters. If Entourage yanks the files, post a shout here and I can expose on the web with a link.

Oh, and "Shark for root" looked interesting so I went looking. Slideme, AnAppStore, Amazon and Freeware Lovers all struck out. AppBrain is useless, and AndroLib doesn't have downloads. I ran the emulator to get at Market that worked.
If you want Shark, and don't have the emulator/market running, give a shout for that too. You have to root your eDGe to use it though. I haven't gotten around to having a friend rip me a copy of Market using the instructions I'm sure we've all seen by now. :)

Hi, I tried the link but the server isn't working. Do you know where I can get the perminie update for my pocket edge? Thanks.

Filark
07-25-2011, 03:32 AM
Welcome to MobileRead, MeKeye! :)

Try http://dustyfeet.com/edge/. You want the "p-update.zip.ermine-0.9.zip" file (I'm assuming you've read the directions on how to change the name and use it).

Hope that works for you! ;)

SatyrsLynx
07-26-2011, 03:08 PM
Well, I dun gettit... I'm sure you guys are sick of seeing the same thing over and over again. I don't see how following the instructions step by step isn't resulting in the update being applied.

I've read through this thread about 10 times. I'm not super techie, but I'm techie enough to follow the methods. I've tried both PE update files from dustyfeet's server, I've used 2 different USB drives, formatted both, and tried both FAT and FAT32 file systems. I've held the Menu & Rotate buttons through 2 dots plus flashing cursor, and even through 3 dots and flashing cursor. My PE is at Dingo 1.13, it sees the update.zip file on either drive before trying the update, after the update I have either just a LOST.DIR folder, or the folder and the update.zip file.

Guess I'm gonna walk away & try some other time. It works for me, I can read books, I can surf online, I just can't see any videos on youtube (which is a bummer, I had hoped to use this to entertain my son on our trip this weekend), but that will just have to wait.

Still gonna be a fun toy! :)

Edit: huh, I did it one more time, and success! This time I tried the armjam533.blogspot link off of the Tweaks sticky, reformatted my 1G USB drive to FAT again, renamed the file when downloading, then copied it over (before I had been renaming it on my USB drive, not sure if that was the issue or not).

I then verified that the update.zip file showed on the USB when plugged into my edge. Once again, the LOST.DIR showed, I deleted it, then unmounted and removed the USB drive, and shut off my PE. Put the USB back in to the PE, then used the menu/rotate keys while booting up, held them til I saw the flashing cursor, then released & waited. About 45 seconds later, the Updating screen came up, so I walked away.

I also plugged in the PE before I started the process, don't know if that made a difference.

Thanks again for having this forum available! :)

OhSewMe
07-26-2011, 08:05 PM
Try http://dustyfeet.com/edge/. You want the "p-update.zip.ermine-0.9.zip" file

I used this download, then went to https://www.entourageedge.com/support/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=265&nav=0 and followed their directions---I just like numbers to check off.....BUT, first...I had to look up how to download files to the ROOT directory on the microSD card--okaaaay, I had to look up a few things....BUT, the first time I tried it, IT WORKED....and I'm so thankful!!
Thanks everyone!! Now, to partition my card, hmmmm :chinscratch:

ucity88
07-26-2011, 10:53 PM
Do I need the Ermine? What is it/what does it do? Thanks!

Filark
07-27-2011, 01:56 AM
Hi ucity! :)

You do not need Ermine. It is a system upgrade that takes the Android in your eDGe to version 2.2. You probably have Android 1.6 right now. Ermine also makes some other changes, the biggest for me being it allows the eDGe to hibernate when closed which saves battery usage.

Do you have the big enTourage eDGe or the Pocket eDGe? They both have problems (for some of the people some of the time) with Ermine, but the problems are different. It is possible to get the "White Screen of Death (WSoD)" when you upgrade to Ermine on the PE. If that happens (fortunately, it is rare) your LCD will turn white and stop responding. So upgrading is a risk, but if you succeed there are rewards.

Ermine is a "beta" update, meaning it was never finalized by enTourage or guaranteed to be bug free.

Happy decision making! :)

dundey
07-29-2011, 04:57 PM
Melitabel,

1. use the following site (http://dustyfeet.com/edge/) to download the update file. for some reason the other sites either have an incomplete file, or my downloads just didnt complete as they were suppose to.
2. use a usb stick format it with fat. go to my computer, select the drive that is for the usb, right click on it, and select 'format', under the options it will default to 'fat32', manually select 'fat'. place the update file in there. whatever you do the file should read update.zip. if you are not sure, under the usb explorer screen, go to 'tools', 'folder options', 'view' and locate 'hide extensions for known file types' and make sure its UNCHECKED. and then make sure the update file reads, update.zip.
3.turn off PE. connect the usb stick, and press hold menu and rotate keys, and then switch the power on button. continue holding the menu and rotate for approx 15-20 secs and you should see an update processing...then you are done. hope this helps. thanks to all who have helped me.

Followed the steps outlined above and still no success.
My uSb is 4 gig formated with fat32. The only options I have in the drop down menu are fat32 and exfat.
P-edge is currently running Dingo 1.8, does that need to be updated first?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Filark
07-29-2011, 05:13 PM
Hi dundey, welcome to MobileRead! :)

I don't know if it is necessary, but it can't hurt to update your PE to Dingo 1.13 (which you should be able to do with the Update app) before you try your Ermine update again.

Good luck! ;)

ivanjt
07-29-2011, 05:41 PM
Followed the steps outlined above and still no success.
My uSb is 4 gig formated with fat32. The only options I have in the drop down menu are fat32 and exfat.
P-edge is currently running Dingo 1.8, does that need to be updated first?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Exfat is otherwise known as FAT16 and can be used to format the USB stick.

From what you have posted you are using windows, therefore I have to ask do you have 'do not show extensions for known file types' on or off. If it is on have you renamed the file to update.zip - will produce update.zip.zip which will NOT work - or just update which should produce update.zip.

The other thing is, have you checked that you have a good download of the correct file. Checking can be by double clicking on it and it should open and show more zip files - if it doesn't open then you need to download it again.

dundey
07-29-2011, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys!
I'm running update now to get to Dingo 1.13.
@ivanjt, yes I checked both of those points before posting here, that's why I'm so confused!

Hopefully the update will fix the problem!

dundey
07-29-2011, 07:50 PM
Looks like I finally got it! Its updating!!

I had to go to a smaller flash drive, did not work with a 4 gig or 2 gig. Copied update file onto a 1GB and worked like a charm. Should have done that last night, who knew!

Dcubed
07-31-2011, 02:32 PM
The updater worked! I'm now at Ermine 0.9 and no green camera tint. Actually, the camera doesn't look too bad.

JoeZambo
08-12-2011, 02:21 PM
Is there anything I steal off of my android phone? I have an EVO and my roommate has one of those Samsung phones with Android. Is there a way to steal the updates from those phones?

garyhgaryh
08-12-2011, 04:57 PM
Looks like I finally got it! Its updating!!

I had to go to a smaller flash drive, did not work with a 4 gig or 2 gig. Copied update file onto a 1GB and worked like a charm. Should have done that last night, who knew!

I updated with a either a 16g or 8g card. It might have been a formatting issue.

garyhgaryh
08-12-2011, 04:59 PM
Hi ucity! :)

You do not need Ermine. It is a system upgrade that takes the Android in your eDGe to version 2.2. You probably have Android 1.6 right now. Ermine also makes some other changes, the biggest for me being it allows the eDGe to hibernate when closed which saves battery usage.

Hi Filark,
Is the PE really hibernating or is it on standby. I can hear my PE beep when I get new mail which leads me to believe I am in standby and my battery only last about a day.
Gary

Filark
08-13-2011, 03:27 AM
Hi Filark,
Is the PE really hibernating or is it on standby. I can hear my PE beep when I get new mail which leads me to believe I am in standby and my battery only last about a day.
Gary

I don't know whether it is technically in standby. It says "your Pocket eDGe is hibernating" so that's what I call it. In Dingo (Android 1.6) the PE goes to sleep when it is closed (I don't remember the message on the e-ink screen), but the battery savings are much greater in Ermine with the "hibernate" function.

Don't know how long my battery lasts, but in Dingo it would be nearly dead in the morning, and with Ermine it's still got plenty of life after an overnight on my nightstand. :)

zake20042005
08-19-2011, 04:19 PM
Do you have to unzip the file Ermine first before you put it on usb drive to update just wondering ?

ivanjt
08-19-2011, 09:10 PM
Do you have to unzip the file Ermine first before you put it on usb drive to update just wondering ?
Simple answer NO.

Long answer - the part of the bootloader that does the update is looking for a file called 'update.zip' and it expects that file to be a valid zip file, if it isn't then it ignores it and just boots the installed system.

Yes, one of the test to see if you have a valid zip file is to open it - if it won't open then it is invalid and needs to be downloaded again - but it must be in the root of a USB stick formatted FAT or FAT32 and named update.zip.

melitabel
08-21-2011, 12:43 AM
I'm trying to upgrade a friend's PE to Ermine, and nothing is happening. A few questions:

1. How large should the PE upgrade file be?
2. If the machine goes on and initializes normally, does that mean it's not going to run the upgrade and I shoujld give up at that point and start over?
3. I haven't used my PE in a while. Where do I find the menu from which I can read the USB stick's directory? (If I should be able to read it from Device Storage, there's a problem - it doesn't show anything).

THanks, M.

melitabel
08-21-2011, 12:49 AM
Aargh. Answering my own question, forgot to rename the file. I read the drive again on the PC and realized my mistake. With all the problems I've had with my own EE, I've never had a problem updating once I got the file on the USB stick. Mea culpa.

forko23
08-21-2011, 10:42 AM
I updated to Ermine on my PE. I was trying to modify vold.fstab.internal & external and somehow I deleted the originals. Now my PE doesn't recognize either my USB ports nor my external SD card. Is there any way to restore these two files to the PE?

ivanjt
08-21-2011, 04:56 PM
I updated to Ermine on my PE. I was trying to modify vold.fstab.internal & external and somehow I deleted the originals. Now my PE doesn't recognize either my USB ports nor my external SD card. Is there any way to restore these two files to the PE?
Oh dear - another one.

Download the Golden update for the PE and apply it - rename to update.zip, put on USB stick and pray that the bootloader finds the USB device.

If that works, you can then update to Ermine again only this time leave the system files alone!

forko23
08-21-2011, 05:15 PM
The bootloader doesn't recognize the USB device. So I'm pretty much hosed eh?

ivanjt
08-21-2011, 07:34 PM
Simple answer - YES.

Longer answer, maybe someone like emusan or vicinc can help but don't hold your breath waiting.

forko23
08-21-2011, 10:50 PM
Thanks ivanjt. I got it working though finally. Also thanks for the advice about leaving system files alone.

ivanjt
08-22-2011, 07:07 AM
Glad to hear you now have it working again.

The main thing you must remember is that Ermine is a beta OS and as such changing any of the system files is very likely to give strange results. That being said we do have some brave people that are working on improvements but until someone finds a reliable recovery method take care with what you do.

Gremalkin
09-02-2011, 01:47 AM
OK, I'm finally ready to do this update after having the PE for a couple of months. I have what I need to do the update, but I am not sure what I need to backup (from where).

Firstly, I assume this update wipes out all data on the device?

I have a lot of books in my download folder. I also have apps there. Not sure if there are any other folders I should be checking. I may just copy everything visible when I connect to my PC via USB and hope that covers it.

Feel free to link to any threads, as there is so much information, I'm sure it's here somewhere!

Warning: I am new to Android (with this device and my phone).

ivanjt
09-02-2011, 07:48 AM
Your assumption is correct.

I have a copy of everything I've ever put on my EE on our FTP server (normal PC for most people) so your idea of copying everything via USB should work unless you have made extensive notations to your books, in which case you need to check the old edge archive for ways to back that up and what files are involved.

If you don't have notations then the simple copy should be all you need.

When you upgrade check all the usual pitfalls before you start:
The downloaded update zip file is not corrupt - check by opening it on the PC
Update file named to update.zip - take care that it isn't .zip.zip
USB stick is a small capacity and formatted FAT or FAT32
The update.zip is in the root directory of the USB stick
The PE is fully charged and plugged in to the charger

nicosomething
09-02-2011, 12:01 PM
Thank you all!

I'm a brand new Pocket Edge owner, and thanks to your instructions and the files you've linked, I've been able to get the Ermine update to work. I've had the device for a few days now and have really been enjoying it, but was worried about trying the update. I decided to take the plunge after reading through this thread.

Thanks again.:thanks:

Gunnerp245
09-02-2011, 12:11 PM
Thank you all!

I'm a brand new Pocket Edge owner...

Welcome to Mobileread! And the entourage in particular.
:thumbsup:

Gremalkin
09-03-2011, 03:05 AM
Thanks ivanjt! I guess I should specify that my device isn't rooted. Am I correct to assume that an unrooted device does not let you see all the folders on the drive/device? So I will still be ok if I just copy what I see? (And no, I don't have annotations other than from playing with it - nothing I need to keep.)

~~really nervous about doing this upgrade~~ Can you tell? lol

On a sidenote, can anyone tell me where the apps are placed when installed on the pe? I am thinking of the Amazon appstore ones that were pushed to my phone as opposed to me emailing/copying via USB.

ivanjt
09-03-2011, 07:45 AM
My EE isn't rooted either - see no need to do so.

Just backup what you see - books, apps that have the apk extension (they can be installed as opposed to installed apps that require special backup procedures to turn them into installable apps) and anything you think you want to keep.

I seldom use USB to copy anything to/from my EE because using ES-FileExplorer either in LAN or FTP mode is easier - don't need to be near a computer.

If you follow the instructions and double check everything there is nothing to really be afraid of.

rebeltaz
09-09-2011, 05:34 AM
It is possible to get the "White Screen of Death (WSoD)" when you upgrade to Ermine on the PE. If that happens (fortunately, it is rare) your LCD will turn white and stop responding.

I just bought one of these on Woot. While waiting on it to arrive, I am reading up on it. If I were to upgrade to ermine and it were to WSoD, would it the n be screwed? Or would I be able to downgrade?

Gunnerp245
09-09-2011, 07:41 AM
I just bought one of these on Woot. While waiting on it to arrive, I am reading up on it. If I were to upgrade to ermine and it were to WSoD, would it the n be screwed? Or would I be able to downgrade?

Woot is selling the PE again? WSOD - some have been able to recover others have not. Is ermine the problem could be but likely it is caused by the inferior hardware components.

space0matic
09-09-2011, 11:42 AM
I am thinking of getting the WOOT's sale EDGE PE on sale today for $79. All I need is an ereader and something to be able to get on the internet with to check email and FaceBook, that kind of thing.
I work on a Mac Desktop (OS 10.5.8) and I'm looking for something portable for the above mentioned tasks.
Any advice for me?
TIA!

Wyrlin
09-09-2011, 11:57 AM
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. Before I start my story I just want to say thank you to everyone in this thread for all your advice and knowledge. Because of all of you, I was able to update my EE to 2.2 without asking any questions and only a marginal amount of frustration.
I've been trying for months to get my hands on a full-sized edge. Well I finally got one on e-bay for $335. It was a little more than I had planned to pay, but it came with an official black enTourage neoprene zipper case and an extra battery! Not to mention it came in the original packaging and it looks brand new, so I was even more excited at this point. Then I tried to update it and my excitement began to falter. I searched and searched and came across this forum.
Again I want to say thank you all for the information in this thread! I downloaded the update from [/URL][url]http://dustyfeet.com/edge/ (http://dustyfeet.com/edge/) which also includes the golden update for EE and both update files for the PE. As per the instructions here, I tried updating with a USB several times with no success. I tried reformatting it back and forth many times between FAT and FAT32, and several different durations of holding down the Menu and Rotate buttons. Still no update. So I finally decided I was going to use the File Explorer to copy the update file to the physical storage on the EE and try that. However, the only way I could find to do that was to copy if from the SD card. So I used my computer to put the update on the SD card and put it back into my edge. I decided to try holding the buttons down on startup, just to see if it would update and VOILA!!!!

So if you are having trouble like I did, here is my advice.
1. Download the update from the site I posted above.
2. Make sure the filename is update.zip.
3. Instead of putting it on a USB, put it on an SD card.
My SD card is 16GB, has almost 9GB worth of PDF's on it,
and is formatted as FAT32.
4. With only the SD card inserted (no SIM or USB), press & hold the Menu and Rotate
buttons and then press the power button.
DO NOT RELEASE THE MENU AND ROTATE BUTTONS!
5. Continue to hold the Menu and Rotate buttons until you get the updating screen.
Once you see the update screen you can release the buttons and it will finish
updating on its own. I believe it was about 35-45 seconds. You may not have
to hold them that long, but that's what I did and it worked the first time.
6. The update takes less than 5 minutes and the couple of apps I had downloaded
was still there afterwords. Also the journal DOES still work after the update.

I don't mean to say that anyone else on this thread is wrong I just wanted to let people know that this is what I had to do to update mine. I'm looking forward to using my new EE and hoping that there will be some way to keep it up to date in the future. I have to learn everything about this device. It is my first "actual" e-reader, my first tablet, my first android (of any kind), and of courst my first edge. Thank you all again for your information on this forum and I hope that my contribution will help.

edbollix
09-11-2011, 11:18 PM
What Wyrlin said... Thank you all. My PE is now a lot more usable.

Gerrye
09-13-2011, 03:50 PM
I'll seed it as well

Well, I'll start seeding it if there's anyone out there who will do likewise. It needs to spread to as many seeder machines as possible to ensure future availability and high speed DL.

File size is 383 MB and includes the dingo ("golden") and ermine updates plus instructions on how to use them, plus pdf and epub versions of the user guide. The file does not contain anything for the EE.

Here's a link to the torrent file:
http://www.rehorst.com/mrehorst/PocketEdge_updates.zip.torrent

My computer is on and connected almost 24/7 except when windows insists on shutting down to apply a security bandaid.

If Entourage happens to release a final version of froyo (yah, sure, youbetcha!) I'll pull this torrent and update the files before reseeding the torrent.

Dipdac
09-17-2011, 06:34 AM
I'll seed it as well

as will I

also, forgot to say thanks to everyone for figuring this stuff out and keeping the update circulating online. this was hella frustrating before I found this thread. thx woot.

Filark
09-18-2011, 12:43 AM
Welcome to all you new people, and thanks for posting and for seeding! :)

Space0matic, I hope you decided to get a PE -- it sounds like the perfect thing for you (in my very humble and unbiased opinion! :p).

Wyrlin, congratulations on your EE!! I got mine through ebay also, after several weeks of bidding and losing, and one fraudulent seller. Worked out in the end, though, and I am happy! :)

bumblebum
09-18-2011, 02:16 AM
Hello to all of you. I am now a proud owner of a red PE.

Prior to my purchase my google search landed me here, I read every forum multiple times about updating to Ermine.

I had trouble. I did everything exactly as instructed. Went to dustfeet.com and downloaded the PE update from Mark Rehorst. No dice.

Had brand new sandisk micro sd cards in 4g, and two 8g's. I also have older innovera 1gm usb.

I formatted six ways to sunday FAT, EXFAT, FAT 32. No dice.

What I figured out by breaking everything down to it's simplest form....is that I probably cannot read or I just clearly did not understand that the ONLY thing I needed to do was download the following file:

http://dustyfeet.com/edge/p-update.zip.ermine-0.9.zip

and plug in the USB and hold down the Menu and Rotate buttons and then turn the power on to the PE.

Abracadabra. I went from Dingo 1.6 to Android 2.2.1

In reading all of the forums I was under the misunderstanding that I needed the file that was 383mb. I really ONLY needed the 141mb.

My PE could see the larger file, but it did not want it.

I just never came accross the simple baby steps to acquire ermine. I had spent the last week doing all of the disecting by deleting the pdf,. instructions from the download but I clearly did not understand that I did not need the golden update that IS the dingo 1.6.

I am so delighted to finally have the update. A HUGE THANK YOU TO EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM!!!:

fred4231
09-18-2011, 11:15 AM
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. Before I start my story I just want to say thank you to everyone in this thread for all your advice and knowledge. Because of all of you, I was able to update my EE to 2.2 without asking any questions and only a marginal amount of frustration.
I've been trying for months to get my hands on a full-sized edge. Well I finally got one on e-bay for $335. It was a little more than I had planned to pay, but it came with an official black enTourage neoprene zipper case and an extra battery! Not to mention it came in the original packaging and it looks brand new, so I was even more excited at this point. Then I tried to update it and my excitement began to falter. I searched and searched and came across this forum.
Again I want to say thank you all for the information in this thread! I downloaded the update from [/URL][url]http://dustyfeet.com/edge/ (http://dustyfeet.com/edge/) which also includes the golden update for EE and both update files for the PE. As per the instructions here, I tried updating with a USB several times with no success. I tried reformatting it back and forth many times between FAT and FAT32, and several different durations of holding down the Menu and Rotate buttons. Still no update. So I finally decided I was going to use the File Explorer to copy the update file to the physical storage on the EE and try that. However, the only way I could find to do that was to copy if from the SD card. So I used my computer to put the update on the SD card and put it back into my edge. I decided to try holding the buttons down on startup, just to see if it would update and VOILA!!!!

So if you are having trouble like I did, here is my advice.
1. Download the update from the site I posted above.
2. Make sure the filename is update.zip.
3. Instead of putting it on a USB, put it on an SD card.
My SD card is 16GB, has almost 9GB worth of PDF's on it,
and is formatted as FAT32.
4. With only the SD card inserted (no SIM or USB), press & hold the Menu and Rotate
buttons and then press the power button.
DO NOT RELEASE THE MENU AND ROTATE BUTTONS!
5. Continue to hold the Menu and Rotate buttons until you get the updating screen.
Once you see the update screen you can release the buttons and it will finish
updating on its own. I believe it was about 35-45 seconds. You may not have
to hold them that long, but that's what I did and it worked the first time.
6. The update takes less than 5 minutes and the couple of apps I had downloaded
was still there afterwords. Also the journal DOES still work after the update.

I don't mean to say that anyone else on this thread is wrong I just wanted to let people know that this is what I had to do to update mine. I'm looking forward to using my new EE and hoping that there will be some way to keep it up to date in the future. I have to learn everything about this device. It is my first "actual" e-reader, my first tablet, my first android (of any kind), and of courst my first edge. Thank you all again for your information on this forum and I hope that my contribution will help.

I put the update on a Mirco SD and went through the process. It showed updating and continued to process until I heard 2 beeps. When I looked at the screen it had the time 3/4 up the screen a little ways from the left and down the screen was a lock icon--showing unlock--on the left and the sound icon on the right. None of the buttons--menu, home,rotate, or back are working and I am dead in the water. Is there something I should do at this point?

PLEASE HELP

THANKS

brigittebardak
09-18-2011, 12:27 PM
I am so delighted to finally have the update. A HUGE THANK YOU TO EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM!!!:

were you able to install KIndle app? I finally installed fbreader. But I want Kindle as well. And is there a way to get some kinda of a gmail app? I tried for hours yesterday & it took me nowhere - always says: device is not compatible or download directly from the market. duuuh. I would if I could, ding-dong.

so now I feel like i got the device but still can't read books & check mail. my old nokia n90 is way older & much more productive.

ivanjt
09-18-2011, 02:10 PM
I put the update on a Mirco SD and went through the process. It showed updating and continued to process until I heard 2 beeps. When I looked at the screen it had the time 3/4 up the screen a little ways from the left and down the screen was a lock icon--showing unlock--on the left and the sound icon on the right. None of the buttons--menu, home,rotate, or back are working and I am dead in the water. Is there something I should do at this point?

PLEASE HELP

THANKS
What you are seeing is the standard Ermine unlock screen,

Did you try sliding the unlock icon to the right? Until you do that everything is, as it says, locked.

ivanjt
09-18-2011, 02:15 PM
were you able to install KIndle app? I finally installed fbreader. But I want Kindle as well. And is there a way to get some kinda of a gmail app? I tried for hours yesterday & it took me nowhere - always says: device is not compatible or download directly from the market. duuuh. I would if I could, ding-dong.

so now I feel like i got the device but still can't read books & check mail. my old nokia n90 is way older & much more productive.
Try reading some of the other threads in this forum and you should find the answers to your problems.

As I understand it the standard e-mail app will read your gmail - I can't say for sure as I don't have gmail but it reads all the mail from our mail server and our ISP without any problems.

fred4231
09-18-2011, 02:23 PM
Unlocked and in business, Thanks

brigittebardak
09-18-2011, 07:23 PM
Try reading some of the other threads in this forum and you should find the answers to your problems.

As I understand it the standard e-mail app will read your gmail - I can't say for sure as I don't have gmail but it reads all the mail from our mail server and our ISP without any problems.

well I read several thread & it looks like everyone who updated it can install kindle & stuff like that. I updated it (from here http://www.rehorst.com/mrehorst/Pock...es.zip.torrent) & I can't install kindle :(

Filark
09-19-2011, 01:50 AM
well I read several thread & it looks like everyone who updated it can install kindle & stuff like that. I updated it (from here http://www.rehorst.com/mrehorst/Pock...es.zip.torrent) & I can't install kindle :(

Have you gone through the process of installing the Amazon Appstore? It's not needed for kindle, I think, but it makes installing kindle and a lot of other apps much easier. :)

To start, got to Amazon.com (the full site, not the mobile site) from any computer and follow the steps to get them to send you an email which you pick up from within your new eDGe. Once you click on the link in the email you will begin installing the Appstore. As you probably know by now, you pull down the notification bar at the top of the PE screen to complete the installation. Once that is done the Amazon Appstore will be in your App collection and when you click on it and sign in (which you only have to do once) you will find the kindle app in the list of most popular free apps -- or you can search for it.

Good luck! Hope you have no more troubles! ;)

P.S. Turning your PE off (power down) and then on again solves multiple problems. Sometimes I think the poor thing just gets confused! :D

DianNC
09-19-2011, 02:17 AM
P.S. Turning your PE off (power down) and then on again solves multiple problems.

That's my go-to problem solver for all things electronic, as well!!! :D

bumblebum
09-19-2011, 05:10 AM

I had no problems with anything after my update. I was movin' and groovin'....actually I was quite giddy with excitement. First thing I did was sync my gmail account..no brainer everything is under settings. You should be able to set it up either by the standard e-mail icon and there is also a froyo mail icon.

The second thing I did was launch the browser and go to Amazon. I am an Amazon freak, so I already have an account. It is easy to find the amazon app store and download after that search the app store for free apps. Admittedly, you may play havoc with a few. If they are not compatible they will not load, some are slightly compatible, like my Random Mahjongg Pro which I have on my phone - it WILL download and load on the tablet but no tiles when you actually go into the game...so must uninstall. However the backgammon game which has screen movement Does work. I still playing around with all of it, but I have been a downloading fool since my ermine took up residence.

Good luck and let us know how it is going!

lionsfamily
09-19-2011, 02:05 PM
All links to the website for upgrades enTourage eDGe to Android 2.2 are down. Did anyone saved a .zip file and can email it to me?

obsessed2
09-19-2011, 02:10 PM
All links to the website for upgrades enTourage eDGe to Android 2.2 are down. Did anyone saved a .zip file and can email it to me?

You can download the Ermine upgrade and Dingo downgrade using a PC and install using one of these links:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134237&page=13

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132878

scottyikon
09-20-2011, 04:00 AM
I happy to say I get to go to bed this night, http://Happy feet and 5 hours of reading forms and My blue Woot PE is dancing 2.21.

Thanks guys for all your hard work

--Scotty
ABQ, NM

scottyikon
09-20-2011, 04:04 AM
Any body know the max Micro SD card this PE device will support?

ivanjt
09-20-2011, 09:18 AM
Any body know the max Micro SD card this PE device will support?
32 GB. Check on other threads for the type and manufacturer of cards that work.

andrys
09-22-2011, 05:22 AM

Amazon's AppStore did the same thing to me. I finally went to http://slideme.org and got the app for that store and then got the Kindle app with no problem, as slideme.org saw no compatability problem.

Worked right off.

- Andrys

brigittebardak
09-23-2011, 12:04 AM
Have you gone through the process of installing the Amazon Appstore? It's not needed for kindle, I think, but it makes installing kindle and a lot of other apps much easier. :)
:D

thank you so much!!! I downloaded kindle from slideme.com & it works!!!!!

andrys
09-23-2011, 05:17 AM
brigitte,
I see you're as happy as I was when it just worked with slideme.org
I'm going to contact Amazon support to see if they can change the way they see the "unknown " designation given the Pocket Edge after I put v2.2.1 on it. It doesn't
think the device can do anything but slideme.org can see more clearly :-)

The Pocket Edge comes with very little apps space, so that can present probs sometimes with being able to DL or install a few that need to be put on internal area.

winnit29
09-27-2011, 11:59 PM

Prior to my purchase my google search landed me here, I read every forum multiple times about updating to Ermine.

I had trouble. I did everything exactly as instructed. Went to dustfeet.com and downloaded the PE update from Mark Rehorst. No dice.

Had brand new sandisk micro sd cards in 4g, and two 8g's. I also have older innovera 1gm usb.

I formatted six ways to sunday FAT, EXFAT, FAT 32. No dice.

What I figured out by breaking everything down to it's simplest form....is that I probably cannot read or I just clearly did not understand that the ONLY thing I needed to do was download the following file:

http://dustyfeet.com/edge/p-update.zip.ermine-0.9.zip

and plug in the USB and hold down the Menu and Rotate buttons and then turn the power on to the PE.

Abracadabra. I went from Dingo 1.6 to Android 2.2.1

In reading all of the forums I was under the misunderstanding that I needed the file that was 383mb. I really ONLY needed the 141mb.

My PE could see the larger file, but it did not want it.

I just never came accross the simple baby steps to acquire ermine. I had spent the last week doing all of the disecting by deleting the pdf,. instructions from the download but I clearly did not understand that I did not need the golden update that IS the dingo 1.6.

I walked in your footsteps Bumblebum. I did all that you did and then followed your directions and still nothing.

Then, I decided to download the file from dustyfeet using it's full name to my flashdrive, plug it in to my PE and then rename it from the PE instead of renaming it on the flashdrive from my PC. Then I turned off the PE and went through the sequence of holding down the menu button and turning it on. I expected the same as always, but this time I got the updating message!! I still can't believe it!

I am very excited to play with my PE now and am full of appreciation and excitement thanks to everyone's postings that helped me finally get it updated to Android 2.2.1 Woohoo!

Wilner1
09-28-2011, 12:31 PM
You can download the Ermine upgrade and Dingo downgrade using a PC and install using one of these links:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134237&page=13

Obsessed2 your posts have been super helpful in helping me realize how great my new PE is. I have been trying - very unsuccessfully - to update to 2.2 or 2.2.1 I have tried my micro SD, I've tried my thumb drive, both are formatted to FAT32... How should I be downloading my files? Should I unzip them and add it to my folder. Should I download the update then, save it directly to either my SD or USB? Besides how/where I should download the files my other issue is when I place the files on (USB or SD) I hold the rotate and menu buttons then I turn on my PE. I see "Pocket Edge" with the dots and when the dots reach 3/4 it resets back to 1/4 dots; this isn't the upgrade screen right? Please help

ivanjt
09-28-2011, 06:55 PM
Obsessed2 your posts have been super helpful in helping me realize how great my new PE is. I have been trying - very unsuccessfully - to update to 2.2 or 2.2.1 I have tried my micro SD, I've tried my thumb drive, both are formatted to FAT32... How should I be downloading my files? Should I unzip them and add it to my folder. Should I download the update then, save it directly to either my SD or USB? Besides how/where I should download the files my other issue is when I place the files on (USB or SD) I hold the rotate and menu buttons then I turn on my PE. I see "Pocket Edge" with the dots and when the dots reach 3/4 it resets back to 1/4 dots; this isn't the upgrade screen right? Please help
Have you followed the instructions exactly?

1. Download the correct ermine update file for the PE to your PC..
2. Insert USB drive to PC and quick format it to FAT32.
3. Copy the update file to USB stick.
4. If using windows in default mode name the file in the USB stick update.
5. Safely remove and unplug the USB stick from the PC.
6. Plug the USB stick into the PE and use ES File Explorer to check the file is update.zip
7. Switch off the PE leaving the USB stick in place.
8. Hold down the Menu and Rotate buttons.
9. Switch on the PE and keep holding down the buttons until you see the 'updating software' message.
10. The update should now continue.

obsessed2
09-28-2011, 07:11 PM
I walked in your footsteps Bumblebum. I did all that you did and then followed your directions and still nothing.

Then, I decided to download the file from dustyfeet using it's full name to my flashdrive, plug it in to my PE and then rename it from the PE instead of renaming it on the flashdrive from my PC.

Any of the available download links in my resource Sticky should work including the user modded v1.01. If you read the Resource Sticky it clearly says that Mark Rehorst's zip file contains both the Ermine Update and Dingo 1.6 and you need to extract the files and rename them accordingly. However, based on these recent posts I have changed it to now read: This zip file contains TWO files, the Ermine Update and the original Dingo 1.6. Be advised you will need to extract the files manually and rename the appropriate update file depending on whether you are upgrading to Ermine or downgrading to Dingo

I agree with you 100 percent about taking the update file and copying it to a USB drive or SD card and then plugging it into the eDGe and renaming it. This verifies the media is good and eliminates the chance of getting a double zip file (.zip.zip). I asked a new owner to give this a whirl about a week ago when he PMed me asking for advice and after he reported success with the procedure I changed it in the Sticky. Thanks for pointing out the problems you experienced and hopefully this will make it easier for the next person upgrading.

andrys
10-01-2011, 08:56 PM
I am really enjoying my Pocket Edge (v2.2.1) and when I use the e-Paper to LCD features or any of the many options for looking at or working with the text, and being able to see color diagrams via the LCD screen, it makes me sad to think so much good work was downed by a market where everything has to be super light, super speedy and perfect right out the door... as they did something unique here and it's really pleasant to use.

I think it may have suffered from the more real problems the larger model had (slowness) and didn't get a good chance in the marketplace. On the other hand, the $79 price helped me be more accepting of problems, but even then, I think it wasn't given a good chance.

At any rate, I felt at the time that the reviews seemed unfair to me, not looking at most of the unusual features, even.

- Andrys

tekknogenius
10-03-2011, 01:38 PM
The Pocket Edge comes with very little apps space, so that can present probs sometimes with being able to DL or install a few that need to be put on internal area.

I had run into the same space issue in general and ended up doing the Moving Apps to SD (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138124) modification. Works like a charm and I have so much more stuff (read junk LOL) installed. Try it if you're feeling the crunch.

andrys
10-05-2011, 11:46 AM
I had run into the same space issue in general and ended up doing the Moving Apps to SD (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138124) modification. Works like a charm and I have so much more stuff (read junk LOL) installed. Try it if you're feeling the crunch.

Thanks, I had seen that about the text changes in files and thought I'd try it sometime, but I remember the advisory that we always have that SD card in there when booting up, and I am absent minded but there's no reason to take it out either, so eventually I'll do it. Appreciate the reminder.

I don't know why but I find it a really fun device despite the resolution of the screen not being as good as on the NookColor (and being a bit balky on touch but I use the stylus even on the LCD side now). The software guys thought of so much that's unique.

I love that it has both a useful USB port and the micro one for transferring files besides.

Haven't tried the webcam.

florob
10-17-2011, 04:51 PM
Hi everybody.
This is my first post in this treasure like forum and I'm Italian, so I apologize in advance for any mistake both technical and linguistic.
Let's go straight to the point: reading the pages of this topic, I've tried to update to ermine, but nothing seems to happen.
What I did:
1) download the file p-update.zip.ermine-0.9.zip
2) rename update (the extension code .zip should be authomatic, since I work under windows)
3) copy the file in the root of a 8G USB
4) insert the USB in the EDGE to check the file was named OK
5) turn off the PE with USB inside
6) turn on the PE pressing menu and rotate contemporarily
The "strange things":
a) when I downloaded the file it said something as "unexpected end of the file"
b) when I put the USB the PE does not ask me to mount it (but this could be normal)
What happens
The PE just keep booting and rebooting, without any apparent change.
As someone said "Is there anything I should do?"
When am I wrong?
Thanks for your help in advance.

tekknogenius
10-17-2011, 04:54 PM
Hi everybody.

The "strange things":
a) when I downloaded the file it said something as "unexpected end of the file"

Make sure that the file is downloaded correctly. You can test by seeing if you can unzip the file. If the file unzipps fine then you're OK, but if not, then download it again from a good connection. Don't try to update with a bogus file since the update process will need to unzip it anyways.

florob
10-17-2011, 05:02 PM
Make sure that the file is downloaded correctly. You can test by seeing if you can unzip the file. If the file unzipps fine then you're OK, but if not, then download it again from a good connection. Don't try to update with a bogus file since the update process will need to unzip it anyways.

Thanks a lot, I wil suddenly do that.
Anyway, I am supposed to leave the file zip, am I not?

ivanjt
10-17-2011, 06:16 PM
Thanks a lot, I wil suddenly do that.
Anyway, I am supposed to leave the file zip, am I not?
Yes you are, the updater is looking for a file named update.zip.

You don't actually have to unzip it to check, just use winzip or winrar to view the file - it should contain several ziped files. If there is a problem with the zip file both of those programs will inform you of the fact.

The problem you describe is typical of a dud file. The reason the file you downloaded may be dud are legion - ranging from a momentary break in connection between your computer and the server to windows having a sulk for a moment ;)

florob
10-22-2011, 02:49 AM
Hi guys, I successfully and satisfactorily upgraded to Ermine.:thumbsup:
The problem was actually in the download of the zip file, which gave me that odd warning.
I just wanted to thank you all for the great job you are doing.:thanks:
Now, even if I can't directly access to Android market, I've got a new world to explore.
I'll keep in touch,
Roberto

waternoice
12-09-2011, 03:30 AM
After attempting to update my friend's pocket eDGe about 12 times, and reading over every single post here (thank you) I determined that I was not doing anything wrong.
I downloaded the file from the torrent, and various other sources - fc said files were identical, so that was never a problem

hint: if you cannot open update.zip on your windows computer, or on the eDGe itself, the file is corrupt. If you can open the update.zip file, it is fine.
LOST.DIR is perfectly normal. just leave it be.

I reformatted my USB stick (512MB) as FAT, FAT32 - didn't matter

on a whim, I dug up another USB stick (1GB), FAT32, full of files - didn't even bother to format it.
put update.zip on it and it worked on the first try.

So, my advice: try several USB sticks!

shenawi
12-21-2011, 02:05 PM
Hi everyone

I've got an Entourage Edge just yesterday and I'm OK with Dingo, but the problem is I can't read and write Arabic.
My question is: Does Ermine support reading and writing Arabic?

Thanks,

vicinc
12-21-2011, 07:43 PM
do not know and really do not care.
was not designed for arabic market and I do not think entorage cared about this.

tekknogenius
12-21-2011, 08:50 PM
do not know and really do not care.

Was that response really necessary? Granted he should have started a new thread for this new topic.

I do not know if this will work, but I did a google search and came up with quite a few links for android support for arabic language. Here is one such link (http://www.talkandroid.com/15546-arabic-support-for-froyo-now-available/) Give it a try and report back to let others know your findings. I'm sure there are others who are interested in this or something similar.

Not having tried it myself, here is what you'd need to do. Go to the link (http://www.talkandroid.com/15546-arabic-support-for-froyo-now-available/) above and go the the generic download link (http://www.mediafire.com/?cfc0irjf5flkuer) Unzip the file. Copy the two files in the lib directory to your /system/lib directory. Note you'll need to be rooted for this to work. Also I would rename the existing files first because they will be overwritten. See if that will work.

This basically overwrites libskia.so and libwebcore.so

Filark
12-22-2011, 12:25 AM
Hi everyone

I've got an Entourage Edge just yesterday and I'm OK with Dingo, but the problem is I can't read and write Arabic.
My question is: Does Ermine support reading and writing Arabic?

Thanks,

Hi Shenawi, and welcome! :)

I think someone else asked that very question some time ago. Let me see if I can find the thread. ;)

Edit: Here's one thread: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137451, and here's another: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144605. But probably tekknogenius has already given you a good answer! :D

One thing, if you have the bigger eDGe, the EE, make sure any upgrades/changes are for that and not for the Pocket eDGe.

Best of luck!

shenawi
12-22-2011, 03:08 PM
Many thanks for TEKKNOGENIUS and FILARK. vicinc NO COMMENT.

Can any one (Except vicinc) has Ermine check if his EE support Arabic?

ivanjt
12-22-2011, 07:49 PM
Many thanks for TEKKNOGENIUS and FILARK. vicinc NO COMMENT.

Can any one (Except vicinc) has Ermine check if his EE support Arabic?
From what I can see, not directly out of the box. As far as I know Android does support Arabic so I assume it would be a matter of finding the dictionaries and fonts, doing code page switching and setting the keyboard - though how well that would work I don't know.

Google is your friend in this.

shenawi
12-23-2011, 08:01 AM
Thank you guys, I really appreciate your help.

Today, I've upgraded my EE to Ermine. The Arabic letters appear but separate. also, the keyboard does not have Arabic letters.
Can anyone advice me about this? can I download another keyboard with Arabic letters?
Thanks in advance

stevesr0
12-23-2011, 12:22 PM
Googled "arabic keyboard android" and several choices come up. I haven't used any of them so I can't advise...

Steve