Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-22-2011, 12:30 PM   #1
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Mobiletech review - Asus Transformer

Lisa IMHO gives the overall best, unbiased and some of the more in depth reviews out there.

this is a pretty solid review
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/tabl...ransformer.htm
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:00 PM   #2
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
I've been mulling the Transformer since I first read about it, but w/so many intriguing devices becoming available later this year I've hesitated punching the "buy" button.

What are you guys thinking about this NEC Dual Screen Android 2.2 Tablet?
http://en.akihabaranews.com/95087/ta...gle+Readerjust (link via Nate's Digital Reader)
d
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2011, 04:45 PM   #3
lost101
Enthusiast
lost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: HTC Hero
I like what this machine offers for it's cost. Most criticism of it are software related and will probably be resolved with Honeycomb 3.1 or Asus' own patches.

Also an overclockable kernel has now appeared, with efforts to get this tablet running stable at 1.4ghz.
lost101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:10 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBird View Post
I've been mulling the Transformer since I first read about it, but w/so many intriguing devices becoming available later this year I've hesitated punching the "buy" button.
Same here. I've been considering the Transformer or the Galaxy Tab 10.1 that comes out in early June, but then we'll likely have stuff with better processors than the Tegra 2 soon too, and I'd kinda like to know what Amazon's going to do too.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:05 PM   #5
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I have to disagree on the support. Asus has put out several firmware updates and are quite responsive. Asus programmers post occasionally on XDA and read the TF forum daily.

I don't find the back borderline cheesy. The tapered textured back makes the the TF easy to hold and that's important to me because my hands are arthritic.

Also don't see the big deal about 3G/4G. I always have my phone with me which has a data plan and I can easily tether it to the TF.

What really sets the TF apart is the keyboard dock. This is what makes it a potential computer replacement.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2011, 09:41 AM   #6
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
Smile

for those who may have tested the motorola xoom when it first came out ide go back and test it again with te 3.1 honeycomb installed. in my honest opinion its night and day better and makes the xoom viable. ive not seen a 3.1 transformer just a 3.0 and imho 3.0 pales compared to 3.1 its not just a minor incrimental upgrade
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:13 AM   #7
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Asus has announced that 3.1 is coming to the TF, they haven't specified exactly when but speculation is saying June for the US.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:05 AM   #8
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
Asus has announced that 3.1 is coming to the TF, they haven't specified exactly when but speculation is saying June for the US.
thats pretty cool id take a look at it because the transformer is promising if it had 3.1 imho just like 3.0 was seriously holding the xoom back its also holding the asus and any other 3.0 users back.
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:26 AM   #9
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by covfam View Post
thats pretty cool id take a look at it because the transformer is promising if it had 3.1 imho just like 3.0 was seriously holding the xoom back its also holding the asus and any other 3.0 users back.

I've been going back and forth between the xoom and the asus for quite some time. Ahhh the agony
Old 05-25-2011, 10:52 AM   #10
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia

IMO, the TF screen is better than the Xoom. Not that the Xoom has a bad screen, it doesn't but I can tell the difference with the IPS screen. Great viewing angles, especially in portrait mode.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:24 PM   #11
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I was also going back and forth between the TF and waiting on the Galaxy, but the IPS screen was a big differentiating factor for me. I do also like the idea of the keyboard dock especially with the extra battery. I'm happy to tether to my phone, too. I don't particularly feel like paying for a separate data plan for the few times a month I may use this away from WiFi.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:44 PM   #12
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: samsung 8.9, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy note 2, nook hd+, ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I was also going back and forth between the TF and waiting on the Galaxy, but the IPS screen was a big differentiating factor for me. I do also like the idea of the keyboard dock especially with the extra battery. I'm happy to tether to my phone, too. I don't particularly feel like paying for a separate data plan for the few times a month I may use this away from WiFi.
i don't think it's been confirmed what the screen will be on the final version, but the pics of the dev version of the galaxy tab 10.1 look very nice.

as for the tf, i tell you, with that dock... i really can't describe the feeling, but it works very, very, very well with the tf. i was about to sell my netbook (or give it to my daughter) after getting the tf.
madsquabbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:54 PM   #13
lost101
Enthusiast
lost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: HTC Hero
An alternative, rather hyper 5/5 review http://www.g4tv.com/videos/53070/Asu...Tablet-Review/
lost101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:47 PM   #14
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost101 View Post
An alternative, rather hyper 5/5 review http://www.g4tv.com/videos/53070/Asu...Tablet-Review/
thanks for the video, G4 always is a fun show to watch.

5 out 5 wow, it really is a slick device and man honeycomb is just awesome. it really is.