View Full Version : And so it ends

borisb
05-21-2011, 11:48 AM
The enTourage forums are now gone, as is the enTourage store. www.entourageedge.com posts a simple notice that ebooks are no longer available. The Registration server is still up though, and there's instructions for using Google Books for ebooks and the Amazon App Store for getting apps (happy news for Americans only...).

However, the Knowledge Base tab is there, providing access to support options, so technical support and warranty support apparently are still up.

Indications are that very limited services will continue for the foreseeable future, which likely means at least 4-8 months.

HarryT
05-21-2011, 11:59 AM
When I saw the thread title I thought you were referring to the world ;).

sordie
05-21-2011, 12:03 PM
Too Bad, but not a major surprise. First I watched IREX go down last year, and now the Edge. In that time there also seems to have been a move away from eInk type devices. It looks like IPad convinced everyone that LCD tablets are the way to go. At CES 2010 there was a ton of eInk devices announced. At CES 2011 it was all about tablets. In fact, I myself have moved to two tabets myself. I use the ASUS EP121 for MS onenote and PDF annotation - it is fantastic, and a viewsonic viewpad 7 for portable ereading, calendar, etc. Also, work issued a playbook, which is actually the best tablet for web surfing - I don't miss my desktop on it at all.

I do miss the edge's 2 page form factor though. I think a two display tablet aimed at the education/business market (with a stylus) still has a lot of potential, but unfortunately, I am not sure that there is much of a room for a start-up given how aggressively the new devices are priced.

RIP Entourage.

kennyminot
05-21-2011, 12:18 PM
They didn't wait long after they dumped their stock on Woot! I'm just mad because I chose to post my instructions on how to get the Android Market on the Edge forum rather than xda . . . I wish they had given me some kind of warning . . . :)

I contacted Entourage to see if I can get an update.zip file with Ermine. Right now, I'm just worried that we'll be stuck with the Golden Update if our devices somehow get hosed (and, of course, this would limit our ability to fiddle around with it).

I've only had the thing for a couple weeks, but I like it. I do have to confess that the e-ink screen seems a bit like a "tablet starter kit." I'd much rather have two LCD screens.

Mark Rehorst
05-21-2011, 12:30 PM
Uh, the forums are still there, but the store is gone. They are now referring people to amazon.com app store.

Sjarrel
05-21-2011, 12:49 PM
Very sad indeed. Will miss all the forummembers. You all have a good time. And borisb, special thanks to you. You were the first to help the members in a very easy to understand way, even when english is not the native language for the reader. Others were very helpfull too, of course. Many thanks to all!!!!

SandBird
05-21-2011, 12:59 PM
They didn't wait long after they dumped their stock on Woot! I'm just mad because I chose to post my instructions on how to get the Android Market on the Edge forum rather than xda . . . I wish they had given me some kind of warning . . . :)

Hi,
I've been a silent watcher to the Entourage forums and they were extremely helpful (and still are). I'm in a process of making an exact image of the forums and will post here as soon as it's done the mirrored link - hopefully some will use it and need it.
I don't mean to break any copyrighted or law related rules, I just think that it's fair enough to those of us who use the edge and still believe in its potential.

In the same token, I think it's best if other members will share other sources that are "must have" before we go and say something like what Kennyminot said - I've been there, and it's annoying and frustrating.

So if all goes well, I'll update this thread with the link.
In addition, I'll upload the update.zip files that I have, just in case and as usual, if someone can get the Ermine one, it'll be awesome - hosting on me! :thumbsup:
Stay tuned.

ab78727
05-21-2011, 01:40 PM
eBay Deal of the Day has the PE selling for 159 from buy.com. I wanted to post this on the EE site but that's where I learnt that the store was closed :(. Oh well - good while it lasted.

geneven1
05-21-2011, 02:12 PM
I just bought mine about ten days ago. I have been unable to register on the forums, and this is probably why.

The information page where I clicked to purchase this on Amazon is gone. The user comments, always of interest to me and sometimes with essential information, are gone. I talked to an Amazon representative and he said that I could still return my device if I chose, and receive a refund. He said that the comments disappeared because the pages that were maintained by Entourage were closed, and that Amazon would see if it could make the comments available somehow, but he didn't seem very hopeful. My point is that the information is something people rely on from Amazon; Amazon should not let user comments be eradicated so easily.

And it seems to me that the forums are essentially shut down. I have a very cool tip about transferring information from the eink side to the tablet side, which I use to copy info into a mind-mapping program from the eink book I am reading, and I have been unable to post it because registration on the forums is essentially closed, it seemed to me after days of trying.

Let's assume that the forums are essentially gone now or soon will be -- where will the users go? Here? Or is there some other good gathering site I don't know about?

borisb
05-21-2011, 02:40 PM
Uh, the forums are still there, but the store is gone. They are now referring people to amazon.com app store.

Right you are - the forums can be accessed directly at http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/forum.php.

geneven1
05-21-2011, 02:47 PM
Right you are - the forums can be accessed directly at http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/forum.php.

Yes, but try to add a comment as a NEW user not previously registered on the forums. I haven't been able to do it in several days of trying, and I am a fairly stubborn user.

Gunnerp245
05-21-2011, 04:53 PM

@borisb

I think you should update the original post and add the forum link.

Michealj
05-21-2011, 05:20 PM
What a surprise it was when I logged in to the Entourage site today. Guess we new it was going to happen but sad when it finally does. Thank you Mark and Boris for the information and link to the forums. There is a lot of very good information located in those threads. Makes me wish my skills for "searching" were better.

Regards,

Micheal

EdgeHacker
05-29-2011, 06:09 PM
Makes me wish my skills for "searching" were better.

No, it's not you. Entourage's search engine has always stunk...can you say "useless"?

SandBird
06-04-2011, 01:43 AM
Hello eDGe users,

I just wanted to let you know that the mirror website is up.
Please note that the forums aren't active, they are there for browsing - meaning, no log-in, posting, search etc. functions are available.
I plan to add a search function but can't promise anything.

I hope this will be beneficial and useful to all (I know I still look at it from time to time).

In addition I added a mirror to the support and some files including the newly uploaded Ermine firmware. Just go ahead and check it out.

So no more :smack: moments :2thumbsup
Oh, and the link is: http://www.ethanphoenix.com/entourageedge/

Enjoy!

CheyenneDonna
06-04-2011, 01:49 AM
Way cool! Thanks, there was/is a lot of good info there.

Dumas
06-04-2011, 01:51 AM
Thanks for putting that up.

glow
06-04-2011, 02:46 AM
Great work!

Sjarrel
06-04-2011, 03:16 AM
Thank you very much! It gives me some nostalgic feelings.:)

ivanjt
06-04-2011, 06:00 AM
All may not be lost yet.

I have received a an e-mail from the main European supplier in reply to a question of mine.

It appears the name and IP of Entourage has been bought by a Russian publisher that wants to continue with the products.

I see no reason to disbelieve this but how long it will take for the change over is unknown.

mr_ed
06-04-2011, 11:41 AM
It appears the name and IP of Entourage has been bought by a Russian publisher that wants to continue with the products.

That would be a funny twist! If they could get them to North America....

-- Ed

paula-t
06-04-2011, 12:12 PM
All may not be lost yet.

I knew it would be an Epic Win all the time! They will now produce the Petite Lap Edge.

Jokes apart, if my previous experience with the ingenuity and resourcefulness of Russian developers is true, maybe we still can expect good things to come.

This forum as well as the now extinct Entourage forum have probably been the sites for the deepest and most comprehensive analysis of why the Edge failed to find its deserved place among ereaders and devices, and why it couldn't survive.

However, after all it has been said here and there, I still cannot understand how nobody saw its potential and its unique features, which, truth be said, no other device has managed to replace completely.

So I still hope some visionary will pay attention to the Edge and decide to turn it into something better. How naive of me... I know.

Anyway, Ivan, thanks for the information.

SandBird
06-04-2011, 12:28 PM
Hey,

Just to close this chapter I wanted to let you know that the search function is up.
I don't take responsibility if the returned results are accurate or if it works as it should - I'm sure you'll agree that it's better to have it than not.

I wanted to upload some useful links but not sure if it's relevant.

Anyways, enjoy and have a great day!

:bookworm:

geckoFeet
06-04-2011, 12:37 PM
Unfortunately, the future of the Edge isn't in the hands of intrepid Russian developers, but in the hands of Russian financers. We don't have any indication that they're better than the usual type of Russian financers who buy cut-rate IP from botched Turkish-American-run firms (you know the type).

Financiers of whatever nationalilty tend to be more vainglorious than bright.

Batman Jr.
06-04-2011, 12:46 PM
Hello eDGe users,

Please note that the forums aren't active, they are there for browsing - meaning, no log-in, posting, search etc. functions are available.

I hope this will be beneficial and useful to all (I know I still look at it from time to time).

In addition I added a mirror to the support and some files including the newly uploaded Ermine firmware. Just go ahead and check it out.

Enjoy!

Very nice! Much appreciated - Karma to you!

emusan
06-04-2011, 01:30 PM
Hello eDGe users,

Enjoy!

Nice layout and I like the search(I haven't had enough time lately to work on search for mine, and now I don't have to!). If you don't mind me asking, how did you back it up? It seems as though yours doesn't suffer from a few of the threaded problems of my backup... Nice work!

pyxiwulf
06-04-2011, 01:46 PM
My experience with the Russians buying out tech products I use has not been good. Nor has it been secure. I doubt I'd trust any code coming from there.

SandBird
06-04-2011, 02:54 PM
... how did you back it up?

I just used freeware program (WinWSD or WinHTTRACK); it did a very messy job (2GB of stuff) and I had to go in and tweak minor things to make it work. I'm sure there are duplicate entries etc. but was to "afraid" the the forum site will be closed so I just wanted to get it. (I planned on re-downloading it, more organized but even the forums link don't work anymore, at least not for me).

To make everyone's life easy, I think I'll upload the forums as an archive (zip) so people can download it and have it for themselves in the future (as usual, I do not guarantee it'll work properly) - it'll be in the files section; stay tuned.

Thanks to all for your comments.

:book2:

emusan
06-04-2011, 03:17 PM
I just used freeware program (WinWSD or WinHTTRACK); it did a very messy job (2GB of stuff) and I had to go in and tweak minor things to make it work. I'm sure there are duplicate entries etc. but was to "afraid" the the forum site will be closed so I just wanted to get it. (I planned on re-downloading it, more organized but even the forums link don't work anymore, at least not for me).

How large did your backup ending up being? Mine was ~8GB and it seems to have downloaded everything...

SandBird
06-04-2011, 03:24 PM
How large did your backup ending up being? Mine was ~8GB and it seems to have downloaded everything...

~2GB, I limit the d/l to only the forums path. I believe it downloaded all the informative and forum portion (I even saw it downloaded some attachments) but any link that was to some other site (domain) or out of the "forums" path it kept only as a link.
You can go a head and take a look soon, as I am uploading the zip files right now to the "Files" section (under archives folder).

CharlieBird
06-04-2011, 03:35 PM
This is just terrific, SandBird, and as you can see much appreciated. Karma to you.
d

geckoFeet
06-04-2011, 06:41 PM
Normally I don't like birds (they're trying to steal the dinosaurs from the reptiles) but SandBird does a good thing with the forum. Maybe the forum name is a cover for SandLizard.

emusan
06-04-2011, 06:55 PM
Lol so many birds here you're outnumbered bro(my forum name is derived from emu lol).

EDIT: don't forget Filark's avatar, lol your in trouble now geckoFeet...

Filark
06-04-2011, 09:45 PM
Thanks, Sandbird! I have been feeling withdrawal pangs lately, thinking, "Oh I know where to find that answer!" then, "Oh no! It's gone!" :( Deep breath, "MobileRead is still there, I'll be okay." :)

neilmarr
06-05-2011, 10:23 AM
Always, I make a point of welcoming newcomers to MR. It's great to have seen so many EE 'refugees' signing on here recently. You'll find this place a happy home from home, folks. Good to have your enthusiastic new company. Luck and best wishes to you all.

emusan
06-05-2011, 10:28 AM
Always, I make a point of welcoming newcomers to MR. It's great to have seen so many EE 'refugees' signing on here recently. You'll find this place a happy home from home, folks. Good to have your enthusiastic new company. Luck and best wishes to you all.

Lol. I never got a welcome :( at least not from a super duper user...

Filark
06-06-2011, 12:07 AM
Lol. I never got a welcome :( at least not from a super duper user...

You just did! :D

glow
06-06-2011, 12:17 AM

Thanks! Glad to be here.

Adiposus Maximus
06-06-2011, 02:01 AM
All may not be lost yet.

I have received a an e-mail from the main European supplier in reply to a question of mine.

I see no reason to disbelieve this but how long it will take for the change over is unknown.

Maybe it's our old friend robot's employer.

ivanjt
06-06-2011, 08:53 AM
Now wouldn't that be a turn up for the books!

helf
06-07-2011, 10:15 AM
Every time I buy a device, the parent company goes under. I'm sorry everyone :(

Oh well, I'll continue using my PE till its wears out and then buy another one. Unless there is something equally awesome out by then. I can't believe people think LCD screens are adequate for reading. I've read on various LCD devices for years and there is just no competition against an eink screen.

Filark
06-09-2011, 03:29 PM
Hi Helf! :)

Every time I find a brand I like at the grocery store they decide to quit carrying it, so I'm not 100% convinced you are to blame for enTourage's demise. :p

I agree with you about reading on e-ink, although I can tolerate an LCD for a while, if I must. Welcome to MobileRead! :D

JBrondos
06-10-2011, 01:33 AM
Late arrival checking in. I hadn't visited the enTourage site for a while and then tried tonight only to find an RIP. Thought I'd register here, hoping to find some familiar faces -- any news of what might be the latest -- "hope springs eternal" . . .

"Hope springs eternal in the human breast;
Man never Is, but always To be blest:
The soul, uneasy and confin'd from home,
Rests and expatiates in a life to come."

-Alexander Pope, An Essay on Man

Filark
06-10-2011, 01:49 AM
Hey there, JBrondos! :)

Thanks for posting the Alexander Pope quote. I had never read more than "hope springs eternal" and I like seeing it in context -- kinda means a bit more than I realized, ya know? ;)

JBrondos
06-10-2011, 02:00 AM
Filark . . . is that the same handle you used in the enTourage Forums? I only got into that early in 2011, I think.

For what it's worth, I just created the "enTourage eDGe Survivors Group" in the social section. I didn't see one and I'll delete it if someone else has already started one which I could join.

Filark
06-10-2011, 02:05 AM
Yes, same person. I try to keep things simple. :)

Survivors Group, eh?? I'll have to drop by! ;)

NJReader
06-10-2011, 11:48 AM
I have officially joined the rest of the EE Forum survivors.

I would also love to know if the final Ermine update is out there, some where, as I did not opt-in for the beta.

I guess that enTourage did not realize that the Android development for such a unique device would take so much.

I also believe it was timing that eventually killed the eDGe. Shipping it so close to the release of the iPad was bad luck.

As for tablets cornering the market, please notice that both Barnes & Noble and Borders now offer touch-eInk devices in addition to their color LCDs. Just like previously mentioned, you can't beat eInk for outdoor viewing.

Talk to you all again soon.

emusan
06-10-2011, 11:52 AM
I would also love to know if the final Ermine update is out there, some where, as I did not opt-in for the beta.

There is no final version sadly(at least not yet), but you can still get the beta, see this thread: link (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135583)

I hope you are enjoying your eDGe as much as the rest of us!