Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-21-2011, 08:08 AM   #1
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Will books Survive eBooks?

Opinion piece from Washington Post Business.

It's somewhat interesting, though nothing really new.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:33 AM   #2
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Some of the comments about the cost of ereading are more interesting than the article, which reminded me of that andy rooney piece from a few months back "ebooks just don't smell right to me."

ebooks are extremely convenient but we should never place anything on a computer that we would not mind losing. This includes digital copies of ourselves
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2011, 10:00 AM   #3
zespectre
BookMonkey
zespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: NOOK, iPod Touch, Asus Netbook
This whole thing reminds me of a short Sci-Fi story I read. Basically explorers find a series of planets that were obviously inhabited at one time but the only remains are these small metal "marbles" all over the place. No other artifacts of any type.

Eventually they figure out that the alien society had built/integrated nanotechnology to such an extent that they just used it for every physical need. Then one day "something" happened and all the nano-machines stopped working all at the same time, reverting to these small metal spheres and the alien race couldn't survive the drop from "super-tech" to "pre-tool stone age".

It was a pretty good "all your eggs in one basket" kind of story.

Basically, if there are people out there still printing with Gutenberg style presses, and hand manufacturing blackpowder firearms, and using film cameras,...I doubt printed books will ever disappear.

We might see less of them, but there are still functions where a dead-tree edition is the most appropriate choice.
zespectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:32 AM   #4
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
My opinion: yes they will survive the digital revolution. Why ? Because paper books have been around for centuries, they are something of a classic. Any book loving person has some kind of library of print books at home, it looks nice in the shelves and it's a timeless classic thing to have it.
Personally I admit that I'm not too much into purchasing print books anymore but even with everything one day being available the digital way, I still would like to have at least the bigger works in nice printed versions on my shelves. e.g. The Lord of the Rings, War and Peace, Les Misérables and so on.

Last edited by Quexos; 05-21-2011 at 10:34 AM.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:58 AM   #5
TotallyEpic
Enthusiast
TotallyEpic began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G + Wifi
I think within a hundred years, paper books will be a rare sight.

It has happened before:

Stone Carvings >> Wood Carvings >> Parchment/Vellum >> Paper Books.

The previous technology superceded by the next.
TotallyEpic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2011, 12:07 PM   #6
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
First off, an ebook is a book. Ebook is just another format to read it. Right now we have the capability of accessing more and more books either in a print version or a digital version.

I still like both. I often use print ebooks for reference where I might need the book open while typing on my computer. This may change as I now use multiple monitors on my computer. All my new fiction books are ebooks, so my greatest expenditures are there.

My main reasons for the switch:

1. Portability: I can carry 100s of ebooks in a device the weight and size of one paperback.

2. Free offerings: A huge number of free ebooks to explore from classic and new offers.

3. Multiple devices: I read my ebooks on my tablet, phone and computer.

Because of the inherent advantages of ebooks, I can see a day in the future where most new books are primarily released as ebooks with a "print on demand" option for those who prefer a dead tree version. But they are still "books."
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:07 PM   #7
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I disagree.
"Video (was supposed to) kill the radio stars" but your radio is still around and it's there to stay methinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyEpic View Post

It has happened before:

Old 05-21-2011, 12:12 PM   #8
TotallyEpic
Enthusiast
TotallyEpic began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G + Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
I disagree.
"Video (was supposed to) kill the radio stars" but your radio is still around and it's there to stay methinks.
Radio is only there because you can't watch video when your driving.
TotallyEpic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:14 PM   #9
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
When did stone carvings get superseded... Vietnam War memorial & Ground Zero in US... similar in UK plus many more... stone carvings were never a wide distribution medium like paper but more monumental/in memoriam and still viable...

Quote:

It has happened before:

elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 02:37 PM   #10
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
I can't think of anything that digital files were supposed to replace that doesn't still exist as a viable commercial product. There will always be people who want "things" in preference to a computer file. Especially if those computer files have restrictions that the "things" don't have.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 03:01 PM   #11
typhoon5ht
typhoon5ht can self-interpret dreams as they happen.typhoon5ht can self-interpret dreams as they happen.typhoon5ht can self-interpret dreams as they happen.typhoon5ht can self-interpret dreams as they happen.typhoon5ht can self-interpret dreams as they happen.typhoon5ht can self-interpret dreams as they happen.typhoon5ht can self-interpret dreams as they happen.typhoon5ht can self-interpret dreams as they happen.typhoon5ht can self-interpret dreams as they happen.typhoon5ht can self-interpret dreams as they happen.typhoon5ht can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle
Books will always be around.

I hope.
typhoon5ht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 03:19 PM   #12
Quexos
Member Retired

That may be true but it is not the only reason for radio to still be around. People listen to the radio in the morning or at work on in their mp3 player and theoretically they could watch video in those times and places but they don't.

Quote:
Radio is only there because you can't watch video when your driving.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:58 PM   #13
niggle
niggle began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin v3
Call me paranoid, but it strikes me quite forcibly that in "1984" George Orwell went to some lengths to describe frankly quite implausible futuristic technology which made it possible to alter history by altering the records of history. People and events that were seen as politically undesirable could be erased from the records. This was what underpinned the tyranny of Big Brother. With cloud technology, and all our written records increasingly in digital format how long before Orwell's future dystopia becomes the present for us? I'm keeping my print books! Of course the other development that made tyranny possible was a radical simplification of language to the extent that it became impossible to give expression to ideas of political dissent - of course that will never happen in reality...IMHO LOL
niggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:10 PM   #14
Amera
Amera is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Amera is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Amera is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Amera is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Amera is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Amera is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Amera is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Amera is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Amera is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Amera is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Amera is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle
Print books will probably become a collectible and typically only something held onto by the wealthy. Physical books are a luxury when you think about it (space, printing costs, etc).
Amera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:17 PM   #15
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Personally I have little need for a printed book anymore.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote