View Full Version : Cybook Gen3 samples getting ready!!!

TadW
08-31-2007, 12:10 PM
Well, Pamela Gadsden of NAEP just commented on Bean that the bill for the Cybook Gen3 samples was getting in:

Bookeen has just sent us the bill for the samples.
I would have bought them today but the bill is in Euros ( just try that on your Master Card ).
We've reminded them that we're on the other side of the Atlantic ( but if necessary we can do a currency exchange and send them a bank check.).
Your patience, for which we thank you, is about to be rewarded.

Sounds like we're soon going to see a lot of lovely first-hands review of the newest reader in town! :knuddel:

HarryT
08-31-2007, 12:13 PM
Excellent! Can't wait for the reviews.

anotherchance
08-31-2007, 12:14 PM
Sounds like we're soon going to see a lot of lovely first-hands review of the newest reader in town! :knuddel:

SQUEE!!!:2thumbsup

IceHand
09-05-2007, 02:38 PM
News from yesterday:
After giving me grief since last week the bank called me back late this afternoon, reset everything, and had me go through the transaction once again while security watched. Seems they'd be getting different numbers each time I tried to place the order and disallowing it for that reason.
This time they caught whatever was going wrong and the order went through.
Bookeen uses FedEx and NAEB is waiting!
So I hope we'll get the review soon^^

delphidb96
09-05-2007, 04:51 PM
*SOMETHING* like that... :D :D :D

Thus sayeth one who *will* be getting one of the sample units!

:D

Derek

News from yesterday:

So I hope we'll get the review soon^^

ricdiogo
09-05-2007, 05:07 PM
*SOMETHING* like that... :D :D :D

Thus sayeth one who *will* be getting one of the sample units!

:D

Derek

Do you already have a date?

delphidb96
09-05-2007, 07:48 PM
Don't know yet whether they are shipping FedEx or not, but they will have *LEFT* Bookeen as of tomorrow!!! :D

Derek

Do you already have a date?

Hadrien
09-05-2007, 07:57 PM
Any NDA still hanging around or can we expect a full review as soon as you received them ?

delphidb96
09-05-2007, 10:08 PM
As soon as. I promise you. And I'm taking pictures.

Derek

Any NDA still hanging around or can we expect a full review as soon as you received them ?

mercury7
09-05-2007, 11:38 PM
As soon as. I promise you. And I'm taking pictures.
Fantastic news! :cool:

alegria
09-06-2007, 07:37 AM
Having no other ebook reader to tide me over in my wait for the cybook I have been constantly reading the mobileread forum to calm me. My better half is a computer geek and finds it hilarious that I have now become a forum junkie myself. I await the upcoming reviews with bated breath.

Michael
09-07-2007, 03:12 AM
[Bookeen] Information concerning the samples

Hello to the Mobileread community,

Several engineering samples have been distributed these last days to different partners (in US, Europe and Russia). We had very few units, and we are currently out of stock.

The BAEN Cybooks are on their way. Thank you Pamela and Derek for your patience.

One of our french partner (M21 publisher) just received his Cybook yesterday, he has put a first reaction (in french) and a first picture on his blog (here (http://www.cluster21.com/blog/malo21tv/cybook_de_bookeen_1er_exemplaire_en_france_pour_m2 1_editions)).

Best regards to all of you,

Thank you,

Michael Dahan
Bookeen

TadW
09-07-2007, 06:09 AM
Michael, may I make a suggestion: Once you have a unit at hand again, could you send it to an MobileReader member/editor for a long review and discussion?

I appreciate the news update, btw!

anotherchance
09-07-2007, 09:03 AM
[Bookeen] One of our french partner (M21 publisher) just received his Cybook yesterday, he has put a first reaction (in french) and a first picture on his blog (here (http://www.cluster21.com/blog/malo21tv/cybook_de_bookeen_1er_exemplaire_en_france_pour_m2 1_editions)).

Here's the Google auto-translation of the post...
Here is the first specimen in France of famous Cybook de Bookeen so much awaited. Waiting was worth the sorrow, it very is successful.

I recall, for those which had not followed all the preceding episodes, that Bookeen is a French company, as its name does not indicate it, than they are at the origin of the first electronic books of the generation 2000 - 2002 with (already) Cybook de Cytale… and than they return to the load with now electronic paper and a super reader of 174 G with battery!

As a partner, we are charmed to be the first in France to test it. To date 2 other specimens were delivered in Europe and 3 to the United States. Marketing should start in the next weeks… with an initial version with 350 euros and a version luxates to 450.

The near total of the catalogue of M21 Editions will be available on Cybook before its launching. In first, the book Gutenberg 2.0 is already, which was least things. We will quickly reconsider this subject with particularly gravitational special offers. To follow…

IceHand
09-07-2007, 10:45 AM
That made me laugh :D
But interesting to know that the deluxe version will cost 450 €.

nathany
09-07-2007, 11:48 AM
Good to know, though that price is getting up there with the iLiad. I live in Canada, and hope I would be able to order one for 350 US (not 350 Eur), or possibly the Deluxe for 450 US if I'm feeling rich that day.

450 Eur though, is $650 CDN... and then shipping/customs/tax. Yikes.

Adam B.
09-11-2007, 09:07 AM
Any more news on the sample units?

delphidb96, did you get it yet?

NatCh
09-11-2007, 10:48 AM
There's no news over at the Bar, so I'd say they're still in transit. :shrug:

JSWolf
09-11-2007, 11:07 AM
Michael, may I make a suggestion: Once you have a unit at hand again, could you send it to an MobileReader member/editor for a long review and discussion?

I appreciate the news update, btw!
I did suggest my doing a review of the Cybook vs. the Sony. But so far I've gotten no reply as to yes or no.

NatCh
09-11-2007, 12:13 PM
I expect they figure that delphidb96's review will cover us, and kill two birds with one sample Cybook3. :grin:

Ravenflight
09-11-2007, 10:04 PM
Anybody know how to translate that review into plain english? I don't speak babelfish. :D

Hadrien
09-11-2007, 10:11 PM
Anybody know how to translate that review into plain english? I don't speak babelfish. :D

I could but really, it's not that worth translating. Wait for the NAEB team for a full review...

delphidb96
09-11-2007, 10:22 PM
My sample unit has made it across the Pond and is ON ITS WAY from NYC! I should have it here either Thursday or Friday! Mini-review to commence ASAP (figure I can post *something* by Saturday or Sunday) with more complete analysis to follow - probably by the end of next week! :D :D :D

Derek

JSWolf
09-12-2007, 12:31 PM
My sample unit has made it across the Pond and is ON ITS WAY from NYC! I should have it here either Thursday or Friday! Mini-review to commence ASAP (figure I can post *something* by Saturday or Sunday) with more complete analysis to follow - probably by the end of next week! :D :D :D

Derek
I hate to say this.. But... Any review of the Cybook vs. the PRS-500 is now going to be OBSOLETE! You'll need to get one of the new Sony models in (I hope) October to compare. For one, you cannot compare the screens and the ergonomics of the button layout. And we don't know about ebook version 2.0. So basically, any comparison review of the current model won't be all that useful.

Kilarney
09-12-2007, 02:52 PM
So basically, any comparison review of the current model won't be all that useful.It's useful to those who are contemplating upgrading from the current Sony Reader.

JSWolf
09-12-2007, 03:25 PM
It's useful to those who are contemplating upgrading from the current Sony Reader.
While it may possibly be an upgrade from the current Sony, is it an upgrade from the new Sony?

NatCh
09-12-2007, 03:53 PM
The two Sony's aren't supposed to be that different, JSWolf. :grin:

JSWolf
09-12-2007, 03:56 PM
The two Sony's aren't supposed to be that different, JSWolf. :grin:
But the big "advantage" of the Cybook is the Vizplex. screen. The new Sony should have that. And it's ergonomics have been redesigned. So in order to compare screen to screen, speed of page turns, and ergonomics, you'll need the Gen3 vs the new Sony and not the old Sony. Plus then bundled software is different so that's another thing that cannot be reviewed.

NatCh
09-12-2007, 04:06 PM
True, and good points, all.

I should think that the display performance improvement can probably be assumed to be comparable between the Cybook3 and the rumored PRS505, though, so the comparison to the current Sony is interesting from that perspective.

The software is a different matter, altogether ... but ... I think I'm more interested in how the device performs than how the companion software does -- we already know we can live without the companion software if it's sucky enough. :grin:

In any case, I really don't want to wait until the 505 releases in October (assuming it does), to find out more about the Cybook3! :zoiks:

JSWolf
09-12-2007, 06:09 PM
True, and good points, all.

I should think that the display performance improvement can probably be assumed to be comparable between the Cybook3 and the rumored PRS505, though, so the comparison to the current Sony is interesting from that perspective.

The software is a different matter, altogether ... but ... I think I'm more interested in how the device performs than how the companion software does -- we already know we can live without the companion software if it's sucky enough. :grin:

In any case, I really don't want to wait until the 505 releases in October (assuming it does), to find out more about the Cybook3! :zoiks:

I don't think we should wait till the 505 is released either to find out how the Gen3 is. But no definitive review comparing the 500 and the Gen3 would be valid (IMHO). The comparison review should be the 505 vs. the Gen3 to be truly fair.

delphidb96
09-12-2007, 06:38 PM
The PRS-500 is out there, available for purchase. So it's still a valid comparison. However, as soon as I can get my hands on a PRS-505, I'll be doing a comparison of that. And if anyone has a Hanlin V3 or iLiad they'd like to donate to the cause, I'll compare those as well. Look, I'm not rich and NAEB is small right now. Given that I must rely upon my (vastly limited) own resources or donationware to do these comparisons, someone's going to have to pony up or we'll just have to wait on the comparisons.

Derek

I hate to say this.. But... Any review of the Cybook vs. the PRS-500 is now going to be OBSOLETE! You'll need to get one of the new Sony models in (I hope) October to compare. For one, you cannot compare the screens and the ergonomics of the button layout. And we don't know about ebook version 2.0. So basically, any comparison review of the current model won't be all that useful.

nekokami
09-12-2007, 08:03 PM
If you'd asked over the summer, I could possibly have loaned you my iLiad for a week + shipping time each way... but we're in the semester now, and I need it to read journal articles. Maybe over the holiday break. (We get about 4 weeks between semesters.)

Edit: I could loan you an eBookwise 1150 for a couple of weeks, if you haven't played with one already. I know it doesn't compete with e ink, but it's a surprisingly nifty little device for the price.

Ravenflight
09-12-2007, 09:30 PM
I will happily lend you my Sony reader if you give me a loaner Cybook for the duration- keep it as long as you like! :D

delphidb96
09-13-2007, 01:03 AM
Very thoughtful of you. So what you're REALLY telling us is you HAVE a Sony PRS-505, right? Because I already have a PRS-500. :D

Derek

I will happily lend you my Sony reader if you give me a loaner Cybook for the duration- keep it as long as you like! :D

Ravenflight
09-13-2007, 01:41 AM
Very thoughtful of you. So what you're REALLY telling us is you HAVE a Sony PRS-505, right? Because I already have a PRS-500. :D

Derek
Nah- who'd want one of those PRS-505's? Even if it has one of the new vizplex screens, how can you appreciate it with that horrid silver color throwing all that glare in your eyes? It'll only make the contrast worse. Then there's all those buttons along the right side getting accidently pushed whenever you close the cover, the right border is wider than the left- makes the whole thing look lopsided. I would never cheat you by offering one of those. I was talking about the good one- the classic PRS-500! :grin2:

TadW
09-13-2007, 04:41 AM
Nah- who'd want one of those PRS-505's? Even if it has one of the new vizplex screens, how can you appreciate it with that horrid silver color throwing all that glare in your eyes?

Grin. From the leak I gathered they come in two colors. :rolleyes:

JSWolf
09-13-2007, 07:07 AM
Grin. From the leak I gathered they come in two colors. :rolleyes:
And the non-silver is navy blue.

Ravenflight
09-13-2007, 12:06 PM
And the non-silver is navy blue.
Yes but that hardly makes up for it's other faults- besides it only means half of the buyers will end up with a reader that the first time they try reading outdoors they'll say "This stinks! It's much easier to read paper books outdoors!"

And what's this I read in the specs its "1/2 an inch thin" and has a "depth of 0.3 inches"? What sort of non-euclidean geometry is this? Do they have M.C. Escher designing the thing? Sounds like something Lovecraft could have written a thing or two about- how a persons eyes are drawn to it's unsettling form and hypnotized till the viewer goes insane. :D

HarryT
09-13-2007, 12:08 PM
But the big "advantage" of the Cybook is the Vizplex. screen.

I disagree. For me personally, the big advantage is MobiPocket support. I really don't give two hoots whether or not the screen is 5% more reflective :).

Ravenflight
09-13-2007, 01:30 PM
I disagree. For me personally, the big advantage is MobiPocket support. I really don't give two hoots whether or not the screen is 5% more reflective :).
Yes but what about the other characteristics of the screen? On my Sony there is ghosting- not bad, but it's there and it's noticeable. Is it the same on the Vizplex? Better? Worse? Also what color is the vizplex- is it really white like paper or the same grayish white like cardboard?

Personally I could care less about Mobipocket support. Till they make a OSX and a Linux client it's still just one more single platform, proprietary format with little use to anyone who doesn't run Windows XP. And their attitude toward releasing such a cross platform solution seems decidedly hostile. If you've read any of the threads on their support forum of all the requests for OSX support you'll see what I mean. They obviously have a Java client that will run on OSX and Linux- why don't they just release it as such?

delphidb96
09-13-2007, 02:05 PM
Ravenflight,

Correct me if I'm wrong - I'm not a Macnatic - but don't Mac OSX users have the ability to run WinXP, and it's apps, as a secondary OS? That's the one thing which is leading me to think my next hardware upgrade should be to a Mac system whereby I can get around all the WinVista problems. If this isn't the case, then why should anyone consider getting a Mac?

Derek

Yes but what about the other characteristics of the screen? On my Sony there is ghosting- not bad, but it's there and it's noticeable. Is it the same on the Vizplex? Better? Worse? Also what color is the vizplex- is it really white like paper or the same grayish white like cardboard?

Personally I could care less about Mobipocket support. Till they make a OSX and a Linux client it's still just one more single platform, proprietary format with little use to anyone who doesn't run Windows XP. And their attitude toward releasing such a cross platform solution seems decidedly hostile. If you've read any of the threads on their support forum of all the requests for OSX support you'll see what I mean. They obviously have a Java client that will run on OSX and Linux- why don't they just release it as such?

Ravenflight
09-13-2007, 02:20 PM
Ravenflight,

Correct me if I'm wrong - I'm not a Macnatic - but don't Mac OSX users have the ability to run WinXP, and it's apps, as a secondary OS? That's the one thing which is leading me to think my next hardware upgrade should be to a Mac system whereby I can get around all the WinVista problems. If this isn't the case, then why should anyone consider getting a Mac?

Derek
Of course you can run Windows on the mac. There are several methods from Apple's own Bootcamp to VMwares Fusion. However they all require you to actually purchase a copy of Windows (which btw costs more than a copy of OSX!) and then subjects you to all the headaches and security risks that using Windows involves.

Do I want to go to all this trouble and expense just to run Mobipocket? Mmmm no. I'd like to be able to download one file version of a book and be able to read that file on my Mac and on my reader. Is that too much to ask? Tell me the Cybook has e-Reader support and I'll be much more interested. There's a company that knows how to make a reader that runs on multiple OS's.

HarryT
09-13-2007, 03:22 PM
Personally I could care less about Mobipocket support. Till they make a OSX and a Linux client it's still just one more single platform, proprietary format with little use to anyone who doesn't run Windows XP.

Sorry? MobiPocket Reader is available for a wide range of different hardware platforms - it most definitely is not "single platform" and you certainly don't need to run XP to use it. I am personally running it on three completely different hardware platforms - XP, iLiad, and Smartphone.

So what if the "desktop reader" is only available for Windows? Do you really want to read books on your desktop computer? I certainly don't. You don't need that to buy books - you can buy Mobi format books from any one of a dozen different websites.

wallcraft
09-13-2007, 03:25 PM
If MobiPocket does not want to port their Java version to OSX and Linux, then wine might be a viable option. CodeWeaver's will even do most of the work (if MobiPocket pays them), and I simply don't believe that MobiPocket lacks the resources to do this.

Egghead
09-13-2007, 03:47 PM
On my Sony there is ghosting- not bad, but it's there and it's noticeable. Is it the same on the Vizplex? Better? Worse?
This is something I'd certainly like to know. I think the ghosting IS bad. Headache-inducing bad. :knife: If it's as bad on the Cybook as on the reader, then it will be a deal-breaker for me.

HarryT
09-13-2007, 03:55 PM
This is something I'd certainly like to know. I think the ghosting IS bad. Headache-inducing bad. :knife: If it's as bad on the Cybook as on the reader, then it will be a deal-breaker for me.

You must have seen a Reader with extraordinarily bad ghosting. On most, it's barely noticeable, and is less visible than the "bleed through" of ink from the other side of the page that one gets in many printed books. Do you get headaches due to this effect in printed books too?

rlauzon
09-13-2007, 04:47 PM
Sorry? MobiPocket Reader is available for a wide range of different hardware platforms - it most definitely is not "single platform" and you certainly don't need to run XP to use it.

Then tell us where the OSX or Linux version of the reader can be downloaded.

Tell us where the non-Windows version of their eBook creator can be downloaded.

Tell us where the full for their ebook format can be read so that someone can create these applications if MobiPocket doesn't want to make them.

Ravenflight
09-13-2007, 05:52 PM
Then tell us where the OSX or Linux version of the reader can be downloaded.

Tell us where the non-Windows version of their eBook creator can be downloaded.

Tell us where the full for their ebook format can be read so that someone can create these applications if MobiPocket doesn't want to make them.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I should clarify (since some need clarification) that when I said "single platform" I was referring to pc platforms. And I mean the broader definition of the term "pc" not the Windows centric definition. Yes I know cell phones, dvd players, and even my car all have computers imbedded in them running some sort of OS. But until they gain the functionality of my laptop I still think of them as devices- not as platforms running an OS. My Sony Reader (and the Cybook) I'm told run Linux, but until someone opens it up so I can run third party apps or they add apps that extend it's functionality its still just a device.

And speaking of Cybook running Linux... If the Cybook has a Mobipocket client that is apparently written for Linux, how is it they can't release the same for desktop/laptop users? And as I understand it, it is a very small step to port from linux to OSX. They say they don't have the resources, but really- how many more Mac and Linux users are out there than Cybook users? I have it on good authority that some are even literate! :D

NatCh
09-13-2007, 06:01 PM
The iLiad runs Linux, too, and has a Mobipocket reader app. I believe its Linux version is the same as the Reader's.

But I seem to recall something from somewhere that Mobipocket (now that it's an Amazon holding, anyway) requires that device makers agree not to use other (proprietary?) formats in order get access to the Mobi reading app. However, I can't substantiate that recollection, so I guess we have to take it as rumor unless somebody else can do so, so, as always, salt to taste. :nice:

wallcraft
09-13-2007, 06:32 PM
And speaking of Cybook running Linux... If the Cybook has a Mobipocket client that is apparently written for Linux, how is it they can't release the same for desktop/laptop users? And as I understand it, it is a very small step to port from linux to OSX. They say they don't have the resources, but really- how many more Mac and Linux users are out there than Cybook users? One difference is that IReX and Bookeen and Pepper (PepperPad 3) all apparently did their own "ports" of the basic Java Reader to their devices. If you ask MobiPocket for support - they redirect you to the device vendor. Another reason why MobiPocket may not want to make the Java version available to everyone is that it provides a mechanism to crack their DRM.

Nate the great
09-13-2007, 06:39 PM
Another reason why MobiPocket may not want to make the Java version available to everyone is that it provides a mechanism to crack their DRM.

Past tense provided

That's how it was cracked.

Ravenflight
09-13-2007, 06:42 PM
But I seem to recall something from somewhere that Mobipocket (now that it's an Amazon holding, anyway) requires that device makers agree not to use other (proprietary?) formats in order get access to the Mobi reading app.
Quick! Somebody should notify Mobi that their reader has been illegally ported to a platform that is riddled with other incompatible proprietary formats- Microsoft Windows! Why, Microsoft cant even do HTML without making it incompatible and proprietary. :D

NatCh
09-13-2007, 06:50 PM
:laughboom:

delphidb96
09-13-2007, 07:14 PM
Egghead,

I've had my PRS-500 for about a month now and the occasional ghosting is nowhere near enough to cause headaches - at least to me. If anything, the biggest problem I've had prior to buying one of those XtraFlex Duo LED lights was trying to read by the light of a single 25-watt compact fluourescent light. Ugh! I got spoiled by the backlighting on my Axim x51v! However, now that I have my Duo LED, I've got no complaints. :D

Derek

phuata
09-13-2007, 08:00 PM
Edit: Sorry, I somehow am not replying to the post I thought I was replying to.

Egghead
09-13-2007, 10:46 PM
You must have seen a Reader with extraordinarily bad ghosting.
That's quite possible. It was a store display model and I have no idea how it had been used and abused before I played with it. It may not have been functioning properly.
On most, it's barely noticeable, and is less visible than the "bleed through" of ink from the other side of the page that one gets in many printed books. Do you get headaches due to this effect in printed books too? Very rarely, and only in the wrong type of light conditions. Which may have also been a contributing factor in the store setting, come to think of it.

paulkbiba
09-13-2007, 11:34 PM
350 Euro is $485 and 450 Euro is $624. Both prices, in my opinion, are far too high to be a commercial success, at least here in the US - especially with the current pricing of the Sony Reader.

Ortep
09-14-2007, 03:16 AM
350 Euro is $485 and 450 Euro is $624. Both prices, in my opinion, are far too high to be a commercial success, at least here in the US - especially with the current pricing of the Sony Reader.

It does not work like that. In Europe we have a sales tax (VAT) that is around 18-20%, depending on the country. It is not allowed to advertise without the tax. The US pricing wil be 20% cheaper. In adds you can say that Euro=Dollar

HarryT
09-14-2007, 03:34 AM
Couldn't have said it better myself. I should clarify (since some need clarification) that when I said "single platform" I was referring to pc platforms. And I mean the broader definition of the term "pc" not the Windows centric definition. Yes I know cell phones, dvd players, and even my car all have computers imbedded in them running some sort of OS. But until they gain the functionality of my laptop I still think of them as devices- not as platforms running an OS. My Sony Reader (and the Cybook) I'm told run Linux, but until someone opens it up so I can run third party apps or they add apps that extend it's functionality its still just a device.

Hmmm. If you get to define what words mean then I guess that you can indeed make any claim that you wish :).

To my mind, a "computer" is any general purpose device on which I can run my own applications, as opposed to something like, say, the Sony Reader, which is a "closed" system that the user can't install his own apps on.

The iLiad, Pocket PC, Palm, etc, are all general purpose computers on which one can install one's own applications. All of these have a version of the MobiPocket Reader available for them, so with the Windows version, that makes at least four different platforms that it's available for, by my reckoning.

Ravenflight
09-14-2007, 03:40 AM
Yep the feature set would have to be pretty compelling to go from 49.00 Sony to 485.00 Cybook! :p

Things on my list:
1. Super white screen- No I don't mean contrast I mean is it newspaper white, paperback white, hardcover acid free white, or glossy acid free white?
2. No ghosting
3. Ability to sort easily by title and author across multiple formats
4. Fast response- screen and software
5. Remembers last page open for every file
6. Seamless handling of different formats
7. Would love to be able to read the newspaper (NY Times) with links.

Ravenflight
09-14-2007, 05:48 AM
To my mind, a "computer" is any general purpose device on which I can run my own applications, as opposed to something like, say, the Sony Reader, which is a "closed" system that the user can't install his own apps on.
I tend to agree, except for the fact that I view my iPhone as a computer even though it's a closed system. It does many of the things I do on my laptop- in fact all of my daytime posts here are made using my iPhone. I view the Sony as a device because of it's single purpose single application nature.
The iLiad, Pocket PC, Palm, etc, are all general purpose computers on which one can install one's own applications. All of these have a version of the MobiPocket Reader available for them, so with the Windows version, that makes at least four different platforms that it's available for, by my reckoning.
Except for the fact that all those general purpose computers you mentioned are all crippled without a desktop component. How would I go about creating an mobi file out of my personal files? How do I create an RSS feed without it? How do I create and edit mobi ebooks without it. This is why I see more value in eReader support- They actually make a cross (desktop) platform solution AND a cross device platform solution. That makes at least six different platforms it's available for. And since I consider all flavors of Windows to be equally unpalatable, I won't even count the fact they supports four more flavors of desktop Windows than Mobi. :D

HarryT
09-14-2007, 06:15 AM
The iLiad, at least, does not need any desktop software. I've never bothered to download or install the "Desktop Companion" software which iRex supply, because it nothing that's of any value to me. The iLiad can connect to any host device over USB, where its file system appears as a "drive", and can also install software new software from a CF card (in fact that's the preferred way to do it).

The CyBook will also be usable from a Mac or Linux machine - it too simply appears as a drive letter on the host via USB.

Most versions of Mobi Reader support multiple file formats, so you don't actually need to create Mobi format books for it. Eg, the Pocket PC, Palm, and Smartphone versions will all read, in addition to Mobi books, RTF, HTML, plain text, and "PalmDoc" files.

I'm afraid I don't know if there's any software for OSX or Linux which can create Mobi books. I don't use the Mobi software - I use "Book Designer", which is a Windows app.

We're slightly getting away from the original point, though. The reason I regard MobiPocket support as a benefit is that it's by far the most popular format for commercial eBooks - both with and without DRM. A device which supports MobiPocket gives one access to a far wider range of books than the Sony Reader, say.

guguy
09-14-2007, 06:45 AM
Yep the feature set would have to be pretty compelling to go from 49.00 Sony to 485.00 Cybook!

The Cybook is gonna be sold for 350$ (+VAT?) in the US? not 350€!

rlauzon
09-14-2007, 12:34 PM
We're slightly getting away from the original point, though. The reason I regard MobiPocket support as a benefit is that it's by far the most popular format for commercial eBooks - both with and without DRM. A device which supports MobiPocket gives one access to a far wider range of books than the Sony Reader, say.

But your new eBook reader must still be "blessed" by MobiPocket to get a reader for it.

"Single platform" may have been the incorrect term to use. "Single vendor" is probably a better description of MobiPocket.

Ravenflight
09-14-2007, 01:35 PM
The reason I regard MobiPocket support as a benefit is that it's by far the most popular format for commercial eBooks - both with and without DRM. A device which supports MobiPocket gives one access to a far wider range of books than the Sony Reader, say.
But didn't I read somewhere (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13458) that there is a secure Mobipocket decoder that runs in Java and outputs any Mobipocket file into plain html? I thought it was fairly simple to turn html into a Sony lrf file. So simple it may be only a matter of time before someone releases a Mobi to lrf application- Even without it though, it appears that the Sony already has access to every Mobi title out there. Albeit indirect access. :D