View Full Version : New program: EPub Metadata Editor

BenChen
05-09-2011, 08:48 AM
Hi everyone,

I wanted to let everyone know about a program previously on Google Code but now on GitHub:

The latest version can be downloaded here (https://github.com/benchen71/epub-metadata-editor/blob/master/epubmetadataeditor/bin/Release/Output/EPubMetadataEditorInstaller.exe?raw=true)

If you use Calibre as your book library software, then you probably don't need my program. But if you are like me, and only use Calibre for ebook conversions, then this might be of interest.

The program allows you to edit the metadata of EPUB files, with a number of buttons that allow the user to do a number of common tasks with one click.
You can change (or add) a cover.
You can view the Table of Contents.
You can link to an external viewer (like the one in the Calibre program folder) if you want to view the EPUB file itself.
There is also an advanced pane which contains some batch operations and the ability to view and edit the OPF and TOC.NCX files.

I trust that you find it useful. If you discover any bugs, you can still use the Google code issues list:

http://code.google.com/p/epub-metadata-editor/issues/list

Sincerely,
Ben.

Latest Update: The current version is 1.3.9
Recent Changes:

Minor fix for covers not appearing when adding cover using "paste image" in the context menu

BenChen
05-09-2011, 08:50 AM
By the way, if you are wondering about the book in the screenshots, it is a free download from Smashwords: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/53406 (for fans of Douglas Adams' "Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy", Neal Stephenson's "Snow Crash" and the TV series "Max Headroom"!)

st_albert
05-09-2011, 10:51 AM
Hi, Ben!

Looks like a great app, but it appears to be Windows only. Any plans to make it cross-platform?

BenChen
05-09-2011, 04:16 PM
Looks like a great app, but it appears to be Windows only. Any plans to make it cross-platform?

Sorry, no. It's programmed in Visual Basic .Net. I know that Mono is said to be somewhat similar, but I have not looked into it.

Sincerely,
Ben.

thadmc
05-09-2011, 06:49 PM
Hi Ben,

Very interesting work. Thank you.

Have you seen any discussion of whether ONIX-style metadata should be stored within an epub file or kept as a separate file? Thanks.

BenChen
05-10-2011, 02:13 AM
Have you seen any discussion of whether ONIX-style metadata should be stored within an epub file or kept as a separate file? Thanks.

Hi there,
I hadn't heard of ONIX, and after a short amount of googling, I am of the opinion that ONIX is a completely separate standard of ebook metadata. So, I don't know the answer to your question. However, an epub file is simply a zip file with a different extension, so you could certainly put the ONIX info in a file and put it inside the epub file. It's just that no current program would know what to do with it!
Sincerely,
Ben.

BenChen
05-12-2011, 12:21 PM
Hi everyone,

A small update: I discovered a problem with the darg and drop of cover images. Fixed! Download link: here (http://code.google.com/p/epub-metadata-editor/downloads/detail?name=EPubMetadataEditor%20Setup%201.0.2.exe )

Sincerely,
Ben.

thadmc
05-13-2011, 01:23 AM
Hi there,
I hadn't heard of ONIX, and after a short amount of googling, I am of the opinion that ONIX is a completely separate standard of ebook metadata. So, I don't know the answer to your question. However, an epub file is simply a zip file with a different extension, so you could certainly put the ONIX info in a file and put it inside the epub file. It's just that no current program would know what to do with it!
Sincerely,
Ben.

Hi Ben,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Interesting that it never appeared on your radar before. I think that's true for many, and reflects an odd disconnect in publishing. Metadata is essential to discoverability, to ecommerce, to librarians, etc. and in an all-digital world it makes sense -- to me at least -- to keep metadata in the same place as "content" data. Amazon insists on receiving ONIX as does Apple for the iBookstore.

Currently they're separate, and ONIX is very unevenly supported among smaller publishers (although everyone agrees that it is THE standard for book metadata). But no one appears to have considered making it a part of ePub 3. (It presumably was considered, but for some reason not pursued.)

I'm going to the IDPF meeting in New York in 10 days, so I'll learn more there.

Thanks and best wishes with your software and your books.

BenChen
05-21-2011, 11:18 AM
Hi everyone,

Another update. Here is the changelog:
- New 'metadata changed' dialog box with choices 'save', 'discard' and 'cancel'. This is definitely more intuitive!
- Minor fix when setting external viewer.
- Removing the content of some fields was not working. It is now.

Let me know if you find anything weird or just plain buggy!

Sincerely,
Ben.

BenChen
06-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Hi everyone,

Another update. The change is minor. You can now drag the cover image from the application. If you drag to the desktop, for example, the cover file will be copied there. You can also drag from one instance of the program to another instance (copying the cover from one epub to another).

Sincerely,
Ben.

BenChen
07-12-2011, 07:40 AM
Hi everyone,

Another small update. I discovered that if the original EPUB had no title or author metadata, my program was not saving these if the user added them. So this has now been fixed! Download from here (http://code.google.com/p/epub-metadata-editor/downloads/list).

Sincerely,
Ben.

Toxaris
07-12-2011, 07:45 AM
Hi everyone,

Another small update. I discovered that if the original EPUB had no title or author metadata, my program was not saving these if the user added them. So this has now been fixed!

Actually, If there is no title and author it is not a valid ePUB afak.

BenChen
07-12-2011, 07:48 AM

I guess so. But today I made an EPUB using Sigil and forgot to add the metadata. So when I opened it in my program (to add a cover!) I also added the title and author metadata and discovered the bug!

Sincerely,
Ben.

DaleDe
07-12-2011, 12:20 PM

A title is required along with the language and a unique id to be a valid epub but an author is not required as the author may not be known.

Dale

BenChen
07-12-2011, 12:28 PM
A title is required along with the language and a unique id to be a valid epub but an author is not required as the author may not be known.

Dale

Interestingly, Sigil provides the id, but allows you to save an EPUB without adding a title. (I can't remember if it includes a language tag or not.)

Sincerely,
Ben.

wannabee
07-12-2011, 08:50 PM
Hi Ben

I've just downloaded and used your editor. It invalidates my epubs after using. I've posted all the details for you on google code.

I hope there is a simple fix because it looks like a handy little utility that will be very useful.

BenChen
07-13-2011, 07:32 AM
Hi Ben

I've just downloaded and used your editor. It unvalidates my epubs after using. I've posted all the details for you on google code.

I hope there is a simple fix because it looks like a handy little utility that will be very useful.

Hi there,

I've started dealing with the issues you raised. I have fixed the problem regarding the zipping routine. An epub that passes validation before being edited by EPubMetadataEditor now passes validation afterwards, too.

I cannot replicate your opf problem, so I am hoping you can attach the problematic epub file to the Google Code issue.

Sincerely,
Ben.

wannabee
07-13-2011, 08:51 PM
I cannot replicate your opf problem, so I am hoping you can attach the problematic epub file to the Google Code issue.
I'll run a couple more ePubs through your editor and make sure the error replicates first. The ePub in question can't be posted in a public space but if the error replicates I'll email it to you. It may take a few hours.

I notice you still have 1.0.6 as the latest version.

wannabee
07-13-2011, 11:09 PM
I have 9 ePubs which I opened with your editor and added the words "ADDED TEXT" to the description meta data. All of them had the same zipping error and the OPF error.
One, which had been run through Calibre, lost the date meta data.
The calibre meta data that was dropped was

<dc:date>2010-12-31T13:00:00+00:00</dc:date>

I can't post the ePubs in a public space but I'll email one to you.

Mark

BenChen
07-14-2011, 01:17 AM
I notice you still have 1.0.6 as the latest version.
Yes, I haven't updated any of the downloads yet, since the issue is not resolved fully. But the zipping problem has been taken care of.

BenChen
07-14-2011, 02:06 AM
Hi Mark,

The problem has been fixed, as far as I can tell. I was doing something apparently non-standard with the dates (but I must have got it from somewhere - Calibre?). Anyway, my program now preserves the way the date is handled, and so if the EPUB passes FlightCrew before, it will now pass after as well.

Let me know if you find anything else!

Sincerely,
Ben.

wannabee
07-14-2011, 08:26 PM
1.0.7 tested well. Thanks Ben

BenChen
07-15-2011, 01:31 AM
1.0.7 tested well. Thanks Ben

You're welcome! Glad it is working for you now.

Ben.

wannabee
07-19-2011, 10:35 AM
Ben.

Don't forget to add your updates to the original post number one! Beause in 10 months time they will love you or hate you for it.
:2thumbsup

BenChen
10-27-2011, 05:23 AM
Hi everyone,

Minor update to EPub Metadata Editor.
The current version is now 1.0.8
Recent Changes:

The interface updates properly after editing the opf file directly
New "Edit other file..." button

Enjoy!

Sincerely,
Ben.

BenChen
12-22-2011, 12:01 PM
Hi everyone,

A more significant update to EPub Metadata Editor.
The current version is now 1.0.9
Recent Changes:

New: All fields can contain Unicode
New: Cover image prioritisation (see http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Thumbnails and http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35505)
Fix for adding Calibre Series metadata
Fix for missing opf website information

Enjoy!

Sincerely,
Ben.

BenChen
12-23-2011, 02:29 AM
New version: 1.0.10
Hi everyone,

A more significant update to EPub Metadata Editor.
The current version is now 1.0.10
Recent Changes:

New: All fields can contain Unicode
New: Cover image prioritisation (see http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Thumbnails and http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35505)
Fix for adding Calibre Series metadata
Fix for missing opf website information (FIXED in 1.0.10)

(Thanks to Mark Nord for finding the bug.)

Enjoy!

Sincerely,
Ben.

RobStonier
01-29-2012, 01:45 PM
Hi Ben,

Your program is a very useful utility, but I have noticed that .mobi extensions (Kindle file extension) are not recognisd. Is there any plans to add this functionality. Other than that keep up the good work! Very handy tool.

pholy
01-29-2012, 02:02 PM
Hi Rob - Welcome to MobileRead. If you want to modify mobi files, you will find more tools in the mobi sub-forum, just above this one; or you can use the command line tools of Calibre, which also has its own forum here. Calibre is also a great library management tool.
Do avoid the Lounge if you wish to manage your spare time :).

BenChen
01-29-2012, 11:21 PM
Hi Ben,

Your program is a very useful utility, but I have noticed that .mobi extensions (Kindle file extension) are not recognisd. Is there any plans to add this functionality. Other than that keep up the good work! Very handy tool.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your kind words. However, there are no plans to add different formats: this program is EPub only!

As was pointed out in the previous post, Calibre is a good tool for handling all ebook formats, and can be used to edit metadata.

Sincerely,
Ben.

BenChen
03-25-2012, 10:25 AM
Hi everyone,

I just updated EPub Metadata Editor.

Recent changes:

Minor changes to better handle some fields (including description, publisher, identifier)

Sincerely,
Ben.

BenChen
03-26-2012, 03:55 PM
Hi everyone,

There was a bug in version 1.0.11 that caused data to be lost from the Description field, so here's version 1.0.12 to fix it and introduce a couple of new features:

Latest Update: The current version is 1.0.12
Recent Changes:

More robust handling of metadata
Fix for previous changes to Description resulting in potential loss of data
Date and Identifier's optional attributes (respectively 'event' and 'scheme') can now be edited

If these changes have introduced further bugs, don't hesitate to let me know!

Sincerely,
Ben.

Rowniee
03-26-2012, 10:16 PM
I downloaded you editor but whenever I save I get an error?

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f202/ROWNIEE13/errorepubmeta.jpg

BenChen
03-27-2012, 12:22 AM

Hi Rowniee,

It is hard to tell what is causing the error, but I am guessing it is because you have said the book is part of a series, but you have not included a series index as well. Try putting "1" in the "Series index" field and see if the error goes away.

If that is the cause, then I can add a check so that the error is dealt with properly in the future!

Sincerely,
Ben.

BenChen
03-27-2012, 04:09 AM

Hi Rowniee,

I did some testing of my own and was able to replicate the error and (better still) track down the cause. Look for a new version shortly...

Sincerely,
Ben.

BenChen
03-27-2012, 04:21 AM
Hi everyone,

There was a bug in version 1.0.12 that caused the program to crash on saving if there was no event type in the Date field, so here's version 1.0.13 to fix that and a couple of other minor issues:

Latest Update: The current version is 1.0.13
Recent Changes:

Fix for program crash on saving if Date has no event type.
Fixed the tab stop order so that pressing TAB moves sequentially through fields and buttons
Date and Identifier field boxes resize properly when event/scheme types are added or removed

If these changes have introduced further bugs, don't hesitate to let me know!

Sincerely,
Ben.

Montyp535
04-26-2012, 07:54 AM
at first: nice program, often in use by ma selfmade epubs...

but:
New version: 1.0.10

New: Cover image prioritisation

but: why must the 0000Cover.* by priorising the cover have the original size - not a thumb? it blows the the size of the epub, if there ist a cover with 500 kb or more - an idea would be a button for resizing before the file is saved in the epub. (f.i. resize? - max-height? - or a suggested fix size)

BenChen
04-26-2012, 08:41 AM
at first: nice program, often in use by ma selfmade epubs...

but:

but: why must the 0000Cover.* by priorising the cover have the original size - not a thumb? it blows the the size of the epub, if there ist a cover with 500 kb or more - an idea would be a button for resizing before the file is saved in the epub. (f.i. resize? - max-height? - or a suggested fix size)

Hi Montyp535,

It's a good idea, but the reason for the current approach is it was simpler just to copy the image file directly. However, it might be possible to add a library that handles image resizing. But it would have to handle all possible formats that can be book covers: jpg, png, gif, etc... If I can find the time, I might do some further research.

Sincerely,
Ben.

BenChen
04-26-2012, 02:30 PM
Hi Montyp535,

It's a good idea, but the reason for the current approach is it was simpler just to copy the image file directly. However, it might be possible to add a library that handles image resizing. But it would have to handle all possible formats that can be book covers: jpg, png, gif, etc... If I can find the time, I might do some further research.

Sincerely,
Ben.

Hi there,

Well, it turns out there is some image processing built-in to vb.net. So I have incorporated your suggestion. Underneath the "Prioritise cover file" button you will now see a checkbox that says "Resize to Thumbnail". Currently, you cannot select the size of the resulting thumbnail. It will generate a thumbnail of maximum 256x256, but it will retain the aspect ration of the original so chances are the width will be less than 256.

Thanks for the suggestion, and I trust this addition is useful!

Sincerely,
Ben.

BenChen
04-26-2012, 02:34 PM
Hi everyone,

Following a suggestion on this thread I have added the option to reduce the size of the cover image as it is being prioritised (for thumbnail/previews generated by CDisplayEx).

Then, while I was testing, I also found a problem with empty data fields which should now be handled appropriately.

Latest Update: The current version is 1.0.14
Recent Changes:

Added option to resize cover on prioritise
Better handle empty data fields

As always, if you find a bug please let me know!

Sincerely,
Ben.

Montyp535
04-27-2012, 02:00 AM
coooool!! thanx! I'll try it...

BenChen
04-29-2012, 07:57 AM
Hi everyone,

As happens sometimes, new changes bring about new bugs! So here's the latest version...

Latest Update: The current version is 1.0.16
Recent Changes:

Added code to better handle exception errors
Fix for reading date if blank (1.0.15)
Rearranged tab stops (1.0.15)

As always, if you experience a bug, please let me know.

Sincerely,
Ben.

BenChen
05-07-2012, 08:41 AM
Hi everyone,

Latest Update: The current version is 1.0.17
Recent Changes:

Added button: Swap 'Title' and 'Creator'

Sincerely,
Ben.

Montyp535
05-10-2012, 03:50 AM
Hi Ben,

the thing with the resizing of the cover works fine - THX!!

another idea: what about a random filling (numbers/letters) of the identifier field, if it's empty (or a button for generating from some other thngs).
Because it's possible to get problems, if the field is filled with the same code - can happen, when you convert epubs by batch with atlantis word processor. the program fills the field with a date-time-code - but unfortunately it can happen when the books are small enough, that the code is in two books the same - and then some readers have problems with these books...

and the filed ISBN - can it replace the Type or Format? I think it's more used... (or can it used addditionally?)

BenChen
05-11-2012, 12:16 AM
Hi Ben,

the thing with the resizing of the cover works fine - THX!!

another idea: what about a random filling (numbers/letters) of the identifier field, if it's empty (or a button for generating from some other thngs).
Because it's possible to get problems, if the field is filled with the same code - can happen, when you convert epubs by batch with atlantis word processor. the program fills the field with a date-time-code - but unfortunately it can happen when the books are small enough, that the code is in two books the same - and then some readers have problems with these books...

and the filed ISBN - can it replace the Type or Format? I think it's more used... (or can it used addditionally?)

Hi there,

Glad you like the image resizing.

I don't think I will do anything more with identifiers. The problem is that an opf file can have more than one identifier field. Currently, my program just grabs the first one it comes across. So if you want to edit the ISBN and it doesn't show up, just manually edit the opf file and move the ISBN identifier above the other identifier. Then it should show up OK.

Sincerely,
Ben.

BenChen
05-13-2012, 10:10 AM
Hi everyone,

Latest Update: The current version is 1.1.0
Recent Changes:

Changed ini file save location

This should happen without the user realising it. (If the ini file exists in the old location its contents will be transferred to the new location when the user clicks the "Change external editor" link.) This means that users on Vista/Windows 7 will now be able to add or change the external editor without running the application as an administrator.

Sincerely,
Ben.

Rena0206
05-15-2012, 11:35 AM
Hi everyone,

Latest Update: The current version is 1.1.0
Recent Changes:

Changed ini file save location

This should happen without the user realising it. (If the ini file exists in the old location its contents will be transferred to the new location when the user clicks the "Change external editor" link.) This means that users on Vista/Windows 7 will now be able to add or change the external editor without running the application as an administrator.

Sincerely,
Ben.

Hey Ben! How can i get this current version! I have been using your editor with my books and love it!

Thanks,
Rena

BenChen
05-15-2012, 12:12 PM
Hey Ben! How can i get this current version! I have been using your editor with my books and love it!

Thanks,
Rena

Hi Rena,

Glad you like it! The latest version can be downloaded from http://code.google.com/p/epub-metadata-editor/downloads/list

Sincerely,
Ben.

awp
05-18-2012, 04:22 PM

This issue has been addressed in the latest beta version of Atlantis Word Processor (http://www.AtlantisWordProcessor.com/en/beta). Global unique identifiers are now used instead. No chance of a duplicate ID from now on.

BenChen
06-08-2012, 07:07 AM
Hi everyone,

Following a suggestion, a new version is available at http://code.google.com/p/epub-metadata-editor/

Recent Changes:

Added "Reverse 'Surname, Lastname' in Creator" to SHIFT click on "Auto-generate 'File as'" button (see button tool tip)
Minor UI change: relocated "Swap 'Title' and 'Creator'" button

Sincerely,
Ben.

BenChen
06-11-2012, 06:03 AM
Hi everyone,

For a while I have been wanting to give users an easier way to discover if a new version of EPub Metadata Editor is available. I have now added a way to do this. Under the About button, you will now see a link. When you click the link (assuming you have an active internet connection), the program will check a webpage, retrieve the latest version information and compare it to the current installed version. If there is a new version, a dialog box will appear with a link to the Google Code download page.

Let me know what you think! (I have not made the check automatic on program start, since it slows the start down too much.)

Sincerely,
Ben.

Latest Update: The current version is 1.1.2
Recent Changes:

Added "Swap Creators" button
Added "Check for update" link (under About button)

mrmikel
06-11-2012, 07:52 AM
Just downloaded your program. Works great. Thanks!

BenChen
06-11-2012, 08:01 AM
Just downloaded your program. Works great. Thanks!

You're welcome!

mabe
06-22-2012, 04:57 PM
Thanks Ben. Great program.

I'm looking for a program able to export some ebook metadata fields from command line, something like:

ebubmetadataeditor -EbookName -title

to retrieve the ebook title

(I would like to use it with Autohotkey and create a batch file that will place every ebook in a folder with his ebook title as folder name)

I don't know any program or script able to do that. Also Calibre as far as I know doesn't have this feature.
Any hope to see it implemented in your program?

Thanks,
mabe

BenChen
06-27-2012, 03:30 AM
Hi mabe,

That would be possible. However, because the program is written in VB.Net it would be fairly slow. (Certainly, the first time the program starts up it can take quite a long time. Subsequent starts are quicker.)

I hope to have time to do some more work on the program, so I will see about adding commandline features.

Sincerely,
Ben.

Thanks Ben. Great program.

I'm looking for a program able to export some ebook metadata fields from command line, something like:

ebubmetadataeditor -EbookName -title

to retrieve the ebook title

(I would like to use it with Autohotkey and create a batch file that will place every ebook in a folder with his ebook title as folder name)

I don't know any program or script able to do that. Also Calibre as far as I know doesn't have this feature.
Any hope to see it implemented in your program?

Thanks,
mabe

BenChen
06-27-2012, 07:58 AM
Hi everyone,

A new version of EPub Metadata Editor is now available.

Latest Update: The current version is 1.2.0
Recent Changes:

Added "Rename" link (to rename the original epub file)
Added console application for extracting metadata using the command line

The rename link will open up a dialog box which allows you to build a template using some of the metadata fields. Once you have prepared your template, click the button with arrows on it to auto-generate the new filename. Alternatively, you can simply change the filename manually. (Note that the template is saved to the ini file so it will be remembered for next time!)

(It is possible that a future version could include the rename functionality in the "Batch Operations" panel, if there is user interest.)

The console application was requested by a user and provides a means of extracting certain metadata fields from an epub. In principle, more fields could be added, but at the moment you can only extract Title, TitleFileAs, Creator and CreatorFileAs.

Sincerely,
Ben.

BenChen
06-28-2012, 02:53 AM
Hi everyone,

I just realised that the console version is not deleting the temporary files. So I will try and fix that later today.

Sincerely,
Ben.

BenChen
06-28-2012, 07:24 AM
Hi everyone,

Here's the changelog for the latest version:

Latest Update: The current version is 1.2.1
Recent Changes:

Added batch rename (using configurable template that utilises metadata)
Console version now has more extractable fields
Console version now deletes temp directory

Sincerely,
Ben.

BenChen
07-02-2012, 08:47 AM
Hi everyone,

A new version has been released. Here's the changelog:

Latest Update: The current version is 1.2.2
Recent Changes:

Added EPUB3 handling (alpha release)
Error handling in rename template
Simple file viewer
Various bug fixes

So the big addition is EPUB3 handling. Note that this is only an ALPHA release. Please be careful using this program to edit the metadata of EPUB3 files. I highly recommending making a backup of your original files in case something gets messed up beyond repair.

Since the rename template is used to rename files, certain characters are not allowed. The template textbox now will not allow these characters to be entered. It also provides a help message for obtaining a "%" character in the final filename.

The simple file viewer simply allows you to open one of the html/xhtml files inside the EPUB file and see what it looks like. I have no idea whether the internal CSS and font files are used; it simply uses the webbrowser built into VB.Net.

Sincerely,
Ben.

BenChen
07-03-2012, 08:18 AM
Hi everyone,

New version. Changelog:

Latest Update: The current version is 1.2.3
Recent Changes:

More robust handling of EPUB3 metadata
'\' can now be used in rename template to add (nested) subfolders

Sincerely,
Ben.

BenChen
07-04-2012, 04:38 AM
Hi everyone,

Another update. Sorry that there have been so many updates recently! But I think the rename template/batch rename is now working fine. And since there are not many EPUB3 files in the wild, I don't expect to do any tweaking to those routines in the near future. So please feel free to update! There shouldn't be a need for any more updates for a while. (Unless, of course, more bugs are uncovered...)

Latest Update: The current version is 1.2.4
Recent Changes:

Fixes for batch rename and rename template
Added variable CreatorFirstInitial

Sincerely,
Ben.

BenChen
07-05-2012, 08:32 AM
Hi everyone,

An observant user found a couple of bugs, so here's a new update.

Latest Update: The current version is 1.2.5
Recent Changes:

Bug fix for file rename if file exists in subfolder
Bug fix for better handling empty metadata fields

Sincerely,
Ben.

BenChen
07-06-2012, 02:56 AM
Hi everyone,

This update only applies to the console version (although the version number of the GUI version has also been updated, too).

Latest Update: The current version is 1.2.6
Recent Changes:

Updated console version to also handle EPUB3 (alpha)
Added more extractable fields (Publisher, Type, Format, Source and Version)
Console version bug fixes

Sincerely,
Ben.

BenChen
07-12-2012, 03:52 PM
Hi everyone,

I have added a donation button to the EPubMetadataEditor website just in case anyone was considering making a donation. Go to http://code.google.com/p/epub-metadata-editor/wiki/Donations for the PayPal link.

This is not a plea for donations, though. I just wanted to give people the option! :)

Sincerely,
Ben.

BenChen
07-14-2012, 12:18 PM
Hi everyone,

Came across a problem with the cover drag and drop so there is a new version with a fix. And while I was about it, I added something to the console version too.

Latest Update: The current version is 1.2.7
Recent Changes:

Fix for a drag and drop problem with the cover image
Console version can now extract the cover
Added 'Extract cover' item to EPUB right-click menu (if association chosen in installer)

Sincerely,
Ben.

BenChen
10-10-2012, 05:32 AM
Hi everyone,

I knew of a couple of bugs and someone drew my attention to another, so here's a new version that fixes those bugs.

Recent Changes:

Rename dialog now automatically updates the filename textbox to match the template (if there is one).
"View EPub" button now stays enabled when opening another file (only happened if there was no ini file in the program's directory).
Problem with adding cover image fixed (occurred when opf file did not contain carriage returns).
Program window should now look correct under different screen aspect ratios.

Let me know if you notice anything!

Sincerely,
Ben.

BenChen
11-03-2012, 12:44 AM
Hi everyone,

I made a couple of changes to the rename dialog for my own benefit and I thought it was worth sharing with everyone...

Recent Changes:

Current filename now displayed on File Renamer dialog.
Hold SHIFT when clicking the rename link to auto-rename using current template.
Catch rename file if it only differs from current filename in case only.

Sincerely,
Ben.

Start
12-28-2012, 03:40 PM
Hi! Thank you for your efforts. Before downloading your software, which are the requirements? I use Windows 8.

BenChen
12-28-2012, 05:42 PM
The program requires .NET 2.0. It just works on Windows 7 (which is what I have) without needing to install anything first. I have never tried it on Windows 8, however.

BenChen
03-07-2013, 03:46 AM
Hi everyone,

I've just pushed a new version after someone found a bug with the image prioritisation code invalidating EPubCheck. Here's the changelog:

Latest Update: The current version is 1.2.10
Recent Changes:

Fix for EpubCheck validator fail after prioritising cover image
Streamlined cover file handling and added 'img' to css styles
Code cleaning

Note that EPub Metadata Editor does not fix errors in your epub files. If your epub file passes EpubCheck initially it should continue to pass after editing the metadata with EPub Metadata Editor.

As always, if you discover a problem, please let me know!

Sincerely,
Ben.

BenChen
04-27-2013, 01:51 AM
Hi everyone,

The latest version incorporates a couple of feature requests.

Sincerely,
Ben.

Latest Update: The current version is 1.2.11
Recent Changes:

Drag & drop epub file onto form to open
Context menu for textboxes

BenChen
06-09-2013, 01:13 AM
Hi everyone,

Latest Update: The current version is 1.2.12
Recent Changes:

Fix for the version-checking code
Check for new version as background task at startup

As always, if there is a problem or a feature-request, just let me know.

Sincerely,
Ben.

zs55
06-12-2013, 10:47 AM
Hello, how can i change the Subject (sci-fi, thriller, adventure, etc.)?

BenChen
06-13-2013, 02:55 AM
Hello, how can i change the Subject (sci-fi, thriller, adventure, etc.)?

Hi zs55,

At the moment, the only way would be to open the "Advanced" panel and edit the opf file directly. But I can also add a Subject field to the form. Maybe in the next release?

Sincerely,
Ben.

BenChen
06-23-2013, 07:07 AM
Hi everyone,

As requested:

Latest Update: The current version is 1.2.13
Recent Changes:

Added subject field

Sincerely,
Ben.

BenChen
06-30-2013, 07:39 AM
Latest Update: The current version is 1.2.14
Recent Changes:

Fix for opf files with different tag structure
Shortcut key to make program window sizable (CTRL-SHIFT-S)

BenChen
07-03-2013, 07:26 AM
Latest Update: The current version is 1.2.15
Recent Changes:

Added context menu to file editor
Added button to auto-fix cover thumbnails not appearing in iBook
Context menu for cover image more context-aware (paste only enabled if clipboard contains image)
Cover image warnings now less obtrusive

Start
07-16-2013, 03:16 PM
Hi!
Thank you very much for all your efforts, they're very appreciated by me (and by us...).

I've seen your software and I'd like to know if there is a portable solution by usb pen.

Moreover is it possible to batch into metadata titles the name of the files?

I have files like this:
name forname - booktitle
and with a batch to insert into metadata fileds?

before " - " the author, after the title...

Moreover if it is possible to batch the first page, the cover page, where there is the cover of the book for simply a chosen directory.

What do you think about? And sorry for my english...

BenChen
07-17-2013, 08:21 AM
I've seen your software and I'd like to know if there is a portable solution by usb pen.

Moreover is it possible to batch into metadata titles the name of the files?

Hi Start,

The program works fine on a flash drive. Just copy all the files from the installation folder (with the exception of the unins files). You won't be able to associate EPUB files to the program if it is on a flash drive. And the ini file (which stores the location of the EPUB viewer and the renaming mask) will get generated on each new computer, which might be a bit annoying.

I have no plans to add to the batch functions. It may be possible to do what you ask, but it would require a lot more time than I have at the moment, unfortunately.

Sincerely,
Ben.

Start
07-17-2013, 09:23 AM
No problem and thank you very much for your reply!

Before readind your reply, I was writing a better post and I paste here for a future wishlist, you never know. Thanks again!!!

--------------------------------

About my last post I'm writing more for avoiding any misunderstanding. Every book has the same logic structure in its filename. They are as follows:

forename name - title.epub

but better an example in an old english book title:

H.G. Wells - The Time Machine

...in metadata content.opf file, you can see...

for the author's names:
<dc:creator opf:role="aut">H. G. Wells</dc:creator>

for the book title:
<dc:title>The Time Machine</dc:title>

Is it possible to automate, to batch from filename to content.opf for a chosen directory of epubs?

-------------------------------

BenChen
12-05-2013, 04:19 AM
Hi everyone,

In anticipation of Google Code preventing the updating of the downloads section, I have moved over to GitHub:

https://github.com/benchen71/epub-metadata-editor

Note that the built-in update check now looks at GitHub, and the link to the download in the dialog box is to GitHub.

Version 1.2.16 basically handled the change to GitHub. But since then i have also incorporated a feature request, and a bugfix, and a 'donate using PayPal' page to the installer. So here is the changelog for version 1.2.17:

Added an entry to the cover image context menu that allows the user to select an image that is already present in the EPUB.
Added a fix to prevent alternate opf formats breaking after changes to the metadata are made.
Added a 'donate using PayPal' page to the installer.

As always, if you discover an issue, please let me know.

Sincerely,
Ben.

BenChen
12-13-2013, 04:46 AM
Hi everyone,

Just a very minor update.

Latest Update: The current version is 1.2.18
Recent Changes:

Fixed the update link so that the download starts automatically.

BenChen
01-04-2014, 08:20 PM
Hi everyone,

Here's an update, that incorporates new batch tasks that were requested by a user. Enjoy!

New version: 1.2.19

Fixed the tooltip on the update link.
Added more batch tasks (Copy 'Title' to 'File As', Copy 'File As' to 'Title', Copy 'Creator' to 'File As') and made none of them checked by default.

Sincerely,
Ben.

BenChen
01-11-2014, 06:29 PM
Hi everyone,

Minor update...

Latest Update: The current version is 1.2.20
Recent Changes:

Handle EPUBs containing MACOSX folders

Sincerely,
Ben.

PeterT
01-11-2014, 09:49 PM
Why on earth would an ePub contain a MACOSX folder? Surely the MACOSX folder is used to store resource data in the MAC file system, and is not at all applicable to an ePub?

BenChen
01-11-2014, 11:29 PM
Why on earth would an ePub contain a MACOSX folder? Surely the MACOSX folder is used to store resource data in the MAC file system, and is not at all applicable to an ePub?

I don't know. All I know is a user of my program had EPUB files containing MACOSX folders. Inside those folders were OPF and NCX files that were being loaded by my program first. Problem was, those files are not real files; they certainly didn't contain any data. So I had add a check to see if the files were located in a MACOSX folder, and then search for the next OPF and NCX files that did contain the data.

BenChen
01-13-2014, 05:21 AM
Hi everyone,

The advantage of having a larger user-base is that those users test the program with a wider variety of EPUB files than I can possibly come across. As a result of a bug report, the new version now handles OPF files that have empty tags that still have optional attributes!

Latest Update: The current version is 1.2.21
Recent Changes:

Fix for empty tags with optional attributes.

Keep the bug reports rolling in! GitHub is the place to make a report: https://github.com/benchen71/epub-metadata-editor/issues

Sincerely,
Ben.

BenChen
01-15-2014, 12:12 AM
Latest Update: The current version is 1.2.22
Recent Changes:

Better handle empty tags with optional attributes.

BenChen
02-05-2014, 02:52 AM
Latest Update: The current version is 1.2.23
Recent Changes:

Fixed a bug when trying to use an existing image as the cover when there was no cover reference in the guide.

BenChen
03-14-2014, 06:23 AM
Hi everyone,

A bug was found, and was fixed!

Latest Update: The current version is 1.2.24
Recent Changes:

Added some instructions for downloading an update if the download doesn't start automatically.
Fix for EPUBs with two identifiers when the first one does not have an end field marker

BenChen
03-28-2014, 03:27 AM
Latest Update: The current version is 1.2.25
Recent Changes:

Fix for EPUBs using non-standard dc namespace
Fix for EPUBs with non-standard opf namespace definition location

whatisk
03-29-2014, 01:55 AM
I just downloaded the app and every time I make some changes and try and save it I get the message "ERROR: file in use. Cannot save changes".

If I try to do a rename, I then get a larger error box and if I click on the details, it talks about not having permission to write where the epub is stored. It's on a local hard drive and I have also tried running the program as an administrator.

I'm running windows7 64bit.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Edit: Never mind. Just found out that the files were read only. Changed that and now all good.

BenChen
03-29-2014, 02:06 AM
Those are the sort of errors I like: one's that I don't have to fix! ;-) Glad the program is working for you.

whatisk
03-29-2014, 05:30 PM
Yep, they're definitely the best errors for programmers.

I have another quick question as I'm new to all this.
When I open a lot of my files, I get all or a combination of 'Cover Info Thumbnail Missing', 'Cover image uses SVG' and 'Cover image not prioritised' under the cover image with a button to correct them. Undoubtedly a silly question, but am I best to fix whichever ones appear? I'm just not sure what each is for or does.

Cheers.

BenChen
03-30-2014, 02:39 AM
Hi whatisk,

It's probably quite safe to ignore those messages and buttons. They fix very specific problems. If your EPUBs work on your reading device, then just ignore them.

However, to explain a little further, "Cover Info Thumbnail Missing" refers to a problem encountered with iBook (I think); the "Cover image uses SVG" button was added to strip the SVG from the cover image xhtml page because covers were not displaying correctly on my Sony Reader; and "Cover image not prioritised" is useful if you have CDisplayEx installed and have added EPUB to the list of files CDisplayEx creates previews of in Windows Explorer, but since it only displays the first image it finds, this button copies the cover file to a filename that will almost certainly be the first found (and resizes it to thumbnail size if you choose that option)! (For this last one, there is more information available at http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Thumbnails and http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35505)

Toxaris
03-30-2014, 03:37 AM
There must be something strange with the SVG code you used for the covers in your reader then. On all my readers a SVG cover works fine.

BenChen
03-30-2014, 03:52 AM
There must be something strange with the SVG code you used for the covers in your reader then. On all my readers a SVG cover works fine.

Quite possibly. But the covers of some of my EPUBs didn't display correctly, and after fixing them using my program they always displayed fine.

BenChen
04-04-2014, 05:55 PM
Hi everyone,

Following up a feature request, here is a new version.

Recent Changes:

New cover selection panel for when no cover is set but there are images in the EPUB.
Adding / changing / saving cover images now handles *.jpg, *.jpeg and *.png files.

If you find any issues, please don't hesitate to report them.

Sincerely,
Ben.

BenChen
04-07-2014, 06:44 AM
Latest Update: The current version is 1.3.1
Recent Changes:

Fixed a bug for EPUBs with extra information in the "<manifest>" tag.
Added a donate button to the About dialog box.
Changed name to "EPUB Metadata Editor"

Tanjamuse
04-26-2014, 07:27 AM
How do I edit (and add) tags?

Thanks

BenChen
04-26-2014, 10:30 PM
How do I edit (and add) tags?

Thanks

I am not sure what you mean by "tags". If you mean field labels, then there is no way for users to change them or add new ones. (If you request specific field labels to be added to the program, I might be able to. However, the interface is already fairly busy!)

However, you can still add fields manually. Open the advanced tasks panel, and click the button to edit the OPF file. But you will need to know what you are doing!

Sincerely,
Ben.

BenChen
05-03-2014, 04:16 AM
Hi everyone,

Latest Update: The current version is 1.3.2
Recent Changes:

Fixed a bug
Added a donate link (hey, a developer can dream!)

odedta
05-03-2014, 12:14 PM
Hi everyone,

Latest Update: The current version is 1.3.2
Recent Changes:

Fixed a bug
Added a donate link (hey, a developer can dream!)

Hey Ben,

When you write a change log, "Fixed a bug" is not really satisfying the readers :P

This is the first time I try your software and I'm keen to know if it offers more options than the Calibre metadata editor.

BenChen
05-03-2014, 10:18 PM
Hey Ben,

When you write a change log, "Fixed a bug" is not really satisfying the readers :P

This is the first time I try your software and I'm keen to know if it offers more options than the Calibre metadata editor.

Hi odeta,

Sorry about not being more specific. The bug that was fixed was "Stopped the loss of data caused when saving changes if the ODF file has only one <dc:identifier> tag but " />" occurs elsewhere in the file."

As for a comparison with Calibre, I would think that Calibre would have more features for metadata editing. However, I don't like the library structure of Calibre and prefer to organise my EPUB files manually. So I wrote EPUB Metadata Editor to handle all my metadata editing requirements and only use Calibre for file conversions.

Sincerely,
Ben.

BenChen
05-04-2014, 01:08 AM
Hi everyone,

I have implemented a feature request:

Latest Update: The current version is 1.3.3
Recent Changes:

Description field now displays HTML properly.

Sincerely,
Ben.

BenChen
05-06-2014, 03:49 AM
Hi everyone,

I have incorporated another feature request. It is now much easier to open another EPUB file located in the same folder as the current file using a ComboBox located above the cover image.

Latest Update: The current version is 1.3.4
Recent Changes:

The program now scans current directory for other EPUB files. Title bar shows the number of the current file and how many EPUBS are present. User can change file using the ComboBox located above the cover image.
Properly handle XML special characters in relevant fields (Title, Calibre Series, Publisher and Subject).
Handle non-standard OPF namespace tags.
Bug fixes (like clearing new HTML description field between books).
Minor code-cleaning and "procedurisation".

Sincerely,
Ben

BenChen
05-07-2014, 05:37 AM
Hi everyone,

Wow, another update! Well, someone had some good feature-request suggestions ;-)

Latest Update: The current version is 1.3.5
Recent Changes:

Rename template now has all CAPS options; also subfolder creation option made explicit.
File selector now does not show files in sub-folders of current folder.

Sincerely,
Ben.

BenChen
05-17-2014, 01:30 AM
Latest Update: The current version is 1.3.6
Recent Changes:

Fix for missing cover panel not being cleared between opening books.
Provide suitable error message if DRM encountered.

BenChen
08-02-2014, 02:50 AM
Hi everyone,

A couple of feature requests and a bug fix:

Latest Update: The current version is 1.3.7
Recent Changes:

Handle ampersands in Creator fields
Handle paragraph breaks in Description field
Fixed a bug where the Description would not appear on loading first EPUB

Sincerely,
Ben.

BenChen
08-05-2014, 05:08 AM
Latest Update: The current version is 1.3.8
Recent Changes:

Properly handle XML characters in Creator "file-as" fields

BenChen
08-06-2014, 08:46 PM
Latest Update: The current version is 1.3.9
Recent Changes:

Minor fix for covers not appearing when adding cover using "paste image" in the context menu

singleot
08-28-2014, 11:48 PM
I've been trying to use your program to edit images on some of my epub books, I'm running xp. Every time I try to close the work, after saving, I get an error.

The instruction at "0x04b1188c" referenced memory at "0x04b1188c". The memory could not be "read".

And asks that I click the button to close the app.

All I did on the last try was tell it to fix the cvg on the image I believe.

BenChen
08-29-2014, 01:55 AM
I've been trying to use your program to edit images on some of my epub books, I'm running xp. Every time I try to close the work, after saving, I get an error.

The instruction at "0x04b1188c" referenced memory at "0x04b1188c". The memory could not be "read".

And asks that I click the button to close the app.

All I did on the last try was tell it to fix the cvg on the image I believe.

It helps the debugging process if you attach the problematic EPUB file. I would suggest starting an issue on GitHub (https://github.com/benchen71/epub-metadata-editor/issues) and attach the EPUB there. (You might need to change the file extension from EPUB to JPG to get it to upload though.)