View Full Version : Just bought my first DRM-ed eBook

HarryT
08-23-2007, 05:52 AM
An exciting new experience - just bought my first DRM-protected eBook from Fictionwise - Neal Stephenson's "Cryptonomicon" for my iLiad in secure MobiPocket format.

All very straightforward, I must say, Just had to enter my iLiad's MobiPocket ID on the Fictionwise "Bookshelf" and it all worked first time.

I can see myself spending a lot more money this way. Isn't DRM great? :grin:

NatCh
08-23-2007, 11:17 AM
HarryT, please don't encourage him. :unafraid:

HarryT
08-23-2007, 11:19 AM
<looking around innocently>

I don't know what you mean, Nat!

:grin:

tribble
08-23-2007, 11:30 AM
you are very devious :D

JSWolf
08-23-2007, 12:16 PM
Yep, DRM is great! I love it. I love how the loss of a DRM server can take down an entire company and impact other companies as well. Yep, isn't DRM great. If there was no DRM, MobiPocket would be up and running right now. So yes, DRM is wonderful stuff.

HarryT
08-23-2007, 12:43 PM
Yep, DRM is great! I love it. I love how the loss of a DRM server can take down an entire company and impact other companies as well. Yep, isn't DRM great. If there was no DRM, MobiPocket would be up and running right now. So yes, DRM is wonderful stuff.

It looks as though the whole of MobiPocket's server has crashed - they would be "down" regardless of DRM.

tribble
08-23-2007, 01:30 PM
More like it has been stolen, and now they have to catch the thief first, and hope he hasnt sold the server yet :)

JSWolf
08-23-2007, 01:44 PM
It looks as though the whole of MobiPocket's server has crashed - they would be "down" regardless of DRM.
To be serious for a change... if the server crashed, would not it be just easy enough for the data center to give MobiPocket another server and let them restore their latest backup and then fix the DNS to point to the new IP and be back up in running? Should only take a day at most.

nekokami
08-23-2007, 01:50 PM
More like it has been stolen, and now they have to catch the thief first, and hope he hasnt sold the server yet :)
You think you're kidding. I know of a company it happened to.

I'm figuring massive data corruption, rather than a hardware problem. Much harder to fix. Hopefully it wasn't a result of a malicious attack that also resulted in a lot of customer data being stolen. Do they have to tell you about stuff like that in the EU?

yvanleterrible
08-23-2007, 01:53 PM
Is this an other post about DRM ?

Oh goody :jump:goody:jump: goody!:jump:

Now whom was it that shouldn't be encouraged?:inquisiti

nekokami
08-23-2007, 01:58 PM
Look, we're trying to hijack this thread, yvan, and you're not helping!

Andanzas
08-23-2007, 03:47 PM
How come this is your first one? What made you change your mind?

UncleDuke
08-23-2007, 04:13 PM

for sale: one slightly used file and network server. never stress tested as it only validated drm for ebooks that nobody in their right mind purchased. perfect conversation piece for those awkward moments. not suitable for identy theft as there is no credit information on the hard drives.

drm rant - :deadhorse:

french jumping frogs, set of five - :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump:

NatCh
08-23-2007, 04:17 PM
... are they French because they don't have any rear legs? :grin:

HarryT
08-24-2007, 02:57 AM
How come this one your first one? What made you change your mind?

Not a case of changing my mind - I've never been against DRM (unlike some :grin: ). I've just been happy until now with Baen's SF and Fantasy together with free stuff from PG. Just felt like "expanding" my reading horizons a little with more general books, and Fictionwise offers a great range of reading matter.

yvanleterrible
08-24-2007, 01:55 PM
The latest talks about Fictionwise caught my interest so I did a little investigating.

C.J. Cherryh just published the lastest tome of the 'Foreigner' saga called 'Deliverer' so I decided to look it up.

Ebook form at Fictionwise: $25.95 list - $22.06 Club
Hard back paper Amazon : $25.95 list - $17.13 special
Paper back Alibris : $ 5.86

Is this a good way of promoting ebooks?:ranting:

3 Guesses at which one I'm inclined to purchase?

JSWolf
08-24-2007, 01:58 PM
Not a case of changing my mind - I've never been against DRM (unlike some :grin: ). I've just been happy until now with Baen's SF and Fantasy together with free stuff from PG. Just felt like "expanding" my reading horizons a little with more general books, and Fictionwise offers a great range of reading matter.
Mostly in LIT, PDF, and eReader.

JSWolf
08-24-2007, 02:03 PM
The latest talks about Fictionwise caught my interest so I did a little investigating.

C.J. Cherryh just published the lastest tome of the 'Foreigner' saga called 'Deliverer' so I decided to look it up.

BooksOnBoard - $20.50 for ...
Adobe Reader 7 PDF
Microsoft Reader
eReader

And $20.76 at Sony Connect

Liviu_5
08-24-2007, 02:16 PM

The mmpb of Deliverer is not yet available (volume 8 appeared in mmpb when Deliverer which is #9 appeared in hc); I agree that the market price for it is about 17$ which Amazon charges (free delivery with very easy conditions), so the e-book prices are ridiculous, but that's the publisher's fault not Fictionwise or any other etailer...

HarryT
08-24-2007, 02:17 PM
Mostly in LIT, PDF, and eReader.

True but, as you well know, one can be "flexible" as a result of buying LIT books.

JSWolf
08-24-2007, 02:42 PM
True but, as you well know, one can be "flexible" as a result of buying LIT books.
Very true. Again, I just did a format conversion of another of my purchased ebooks and it came out very nice.

yvanleterrible
08-24-2007, 03:54 PM
BooksOnBoard - $20.50 for ...
Adobe Reader 7 PDF
Microsoft Reader
eReader

And $20.76 at Sony Connect

Yeah but $5.86 ( read, five eighty-six) in paper back?:(

That's a long way from the lowest ebook!

HarryT
08-25-2007, 04:30 AM
But it's not available. You can quote any price you like for a book that you can't buy :).

Lemurion
08-26-2007, 01:44 PM
Harry's right, can't compare the paperback price 'til it's out.

Andanzas
09-01-2007, 01:15 AM

This is probably why I thought you changed your mind about DRM (it's from an older thread):

I should clarify that I do buy books, but from Baen, not Connect. To my mind, Baen are the only publisher in the business doing the "right thing" - ie publishing DRM-free books in open formats at (mostly) sensible prices. They deserve everyone's support for that.