View Full Version : Navigation in ePub

ebusinesstutor
04-27-2011, 01:41 AM
I have read a number of ePub formats and I was wondering if the format supported navigation?

With .pdf, I can create a navigable index based on the headers in the word processing document.

Is there a way to do the same with .epub?

ATDrake
04-27-2011, 01:49 AM
Yes, as long as the reader supports it.

You fill in the NCX navigation file (short example over at Wikipedia's ePub article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPUB#Open_Packaging_Format_2.0.1)), and depending on how your device/app interprets it, you can push a button and have a pop-up table of contents to scroll through, or flick from chapter to chapter, or have a sidebar with clickable links, or whatever.

Hope this helps.

DaleDe
04-27-2011, 01:52 AM
I have read a number of ePub formats and I was wondering if the format supported navigation?

With .pdf, I can create a navigable index based on the headers in the word processing document.

Is there a way to do the same with .epub?

Yes, it is called the toc.ncx file and it behaves like the pdf and is normally created by header entires h1, h2, h3 etc. In addition there can be html style href entries in the document that can link to other places in the document just as in a browser html document. you can read about ePub in our wiki.

Dale