View Full Version : root on entourage (pocket) edge

kyhwana
04-20-2011, 05:12 AM
Hey all,
has anyone had any luck getting root on the latest froyo update?

kyhwana
04-22-2011, 03:51 AM
OK, so z4root works with temp/perm root, yay!

borisb
04-22-2011, 12:42 PM
Be sure to post this in the enTourage forums, too. If enTourage goes under we'll all be free to root with impunity :)

BTW, we'd like details as to where to get z4root and how to use it :)

CharlieBird
04-22-2011, 02:36 PM
I've got my QT7 rooted with z4root. I like the option of being able to choose between temporary and permanent root, which I can't do w/the program I used to root my phone...no option for temporary. Be sure you don't uninstall z4root itself after you get superUser capability. I tried freezing it once to see if I could use programs requiring root (was trying to free up space as I've never been able to get a program working that will let me move apps to the SDCard) with just the superUser app. The answer was I couldn't, and had a hell of time getting it unfrozen...in fact I couldn't and had to reinstall it as a new program.

kyhwana
04-23-2011, 03:23 AM
I downloaded z4root from http://andappstore.com/AndroidApplications/
I tried temp root first and that worked, rebooted and then tried perm root and it worked, it enables superuser too.
It's basically 1-click.

glow
04-29-2011, 10:59 AM
Glad I saw this post here. Apparently not posted on entourageedge forums, or do such posts get deleted?

sarah11918
04-29-2011, 01:40 PM
Don't think it suffered deletion. I don't recognize kyhwana from the other forum, so it's possible just that no one has put this up there.

kyhwana
04-30-2011, 04:07 AM
Oh, no. I haven't posted it on the entourage forum yet.

Last_of_the_PEs
05-05-2011, 04:38 PM
I followed the link and downloaded z4root. Thanks for the post.

Hey, what is that 3D barcode I see on so many sites now? Would the camera on the PE be able to get enough of it to read? Is there an app? etc.

SteveK
05-19-2011, 11:25 PM
If I successfully root the Pocket Edge, would I be able to access the Google Marketplace, or must I also replace the Android firmware? I'm willing to try to root it, but I'm not sure I also want to use different firmware just to have access to more apps.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
SteveK

kyhwana
05-20-2011, 02:45 AM
I don't think there are any custom ROMs for the pocket edge.

I haven't had any luck getting google market to work on it, I don't think anyone else has, either.

Last_of_the_PEs
05-20-2011, 03:12 AM
The best way to get at Android Marketplace is to install an emulator on your PC or Mac, then install Market. I spent two days removing excess hair getting it to work, and documented it over on the Entourage forum (Android Apps section). I'm confident you can use those instructions to get it going and get any free apps from Market.

I've been told that market doesn't run on Entourage tablets because Entourage wanted to have their own market and Google got pissy. Don't know if it's true, but it sounds true.

Another workaround is to have a friend with another tablet install a free app, then use either Astro File Explorer or Titanium Backup to back the installed app to a .apk file and send it to you.

geneven1
05-21-2011, 02:42 PM
I'm rooted on my very new Pocketable Edge. But now, I would like to know what I can do further? Can I install other versions of Android? Where do I learn about that? Sorry, as I said, I'm quite new.

And can I play with programming languages on my Edge, now that I have a terminal? Such as Ruby, or even something like Squeek or a relative? It looks like Java is a common language used. Where's the best way to learn about doing this stuff on my Edge. I'm not worried about bricking my device -- que sera, sera, as Patti Page once sang.

Filark
05-21-2011, 11:43 PM
I'll bet you've found it by now, but here is the link to the entourage edge forum: http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/forum.php.

It is still open so you can at least read about other people's experiences. I'm not sure you can sign up to post, though. :(

Nice to have you aboard!! I liked your "beta" joke! ;)

geneven1
05-24-2011, 05:14 PM
I'm rooted on my very new Pocketable Edge. But now, I would like to know what I can do further? Can I install other versions of Android? Where do I learn about that? Sorry, as I said, I'm quite new.

And can I play with programming languages on my Edge, now that I have a terminal? Such as Ruby, or even something like Squeek or a relative? It looks like Java is a common language used. Where's the best way to learn about doing this stuff on my Edge. I'm not worried about bricking my device -- que sera, sera, as Patti Page once sang.

To answer my own question from above the only programming language I've found so far that I can really play with is Awk, which is by default present in a terminal if you open one.

By the way, I'm using speech to text to type this message and it's pretty thrilling. it's a Nuance program.

littleal
07-06-2011, 01:18 AM
I have been trying to download z4root but each site gives me a virus infected message.
Can anyone confiem this . If so where can I get an uninfected copy.
Thanks

emusan
07-06-2011, 01:49 AM
you can get it from the amazon app store on your EE/PE, that one should be virus free. If you can't access it(some people have troubles I think) I can upload it for you tomorrow morning.

littleal
07-06-2011, 02:29 AM
No i cannot get the amazonappstore as I live in australia. Can you PM me with an attached email.
Thanks mate.

Gerrye
07-06-2011, 01:39 PM
How can I allow USB debugging on the Pocket Edge, so I can complete the Z4Root installation? Thanks, Gerry

emusan
07-06-2011, 01:48 PM
How can I allow USB debugging on the Pocket Edge, so I can complete the Z4Root installation? Thanks, Gerry

I answered your question in the other thread. In the future try and keep your questions in just one thread, it makes it easier on us and keeps the information in one place.

Gerrye
07-06-2011, 05:22 PM
Sorry I forgot where the other thread was... I`ll hunt it down...

Thanks,

emusan
07-06-2011, 05:31 PM
Sorry I forgot where the other thread was... I`ll hunt it down...

Thanks,

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141180&page=2

these forums have been a lot more busy lately with all the new woot users lol

Gerrye
07-06-2011, 05:33 PM
emusan, thanks, I`m new to all this and I couldn`t find the original request....

Hopefully, I`ll improve with age (I`m only 70 now)

Thanks again,

Filark
07-06-2011, 07:13 PM
Welcome, Gerry! :D

Littleal, I hope you got your uninfected app! Emusan, if you sent it, that was nice of you. :)

pilgrimfl
07-26-2011, 02:47 PM
I have read that rooting the PE will kill the e-ink side. Is this true?

emusan
07-26-2011, 03:52 PM
I have read that rooting the PE will kill the e-ink side. Is this true?

in short, no. If you don't know what you are doing though and mess with things you're not supposed to then it can do that yes, just follow any guides very closely, and try not to take any shortcuts along the way.

teledyn
09-14-2011, 08:40 PM
I downloaded z4root from http://andappstore.com/AndroidApplications/
I tried temp root first and that worked, rebooted and then tried perm root and it worked, it enables superuser too.
It's basically 1-click.

there are two apps listed on andappstore by the name of z4root, one with a description of the history, another with no description at all; I chose the first one, it installed, but when run, after the splash screen my machine rebooted and now gets to the fourth dot, pauses and recycles back to the 4-dot boot screen :(

I'm guessing I did something that the others did not. :blink:

teledyn
09-14-2011, 09:11 PM
even the home-rotate reboot on the golden dingo PE update.zip file isn't doing anything, just getting to the four dots and cycling. what now? :(

Gunnerp245
09-14-2011, 09:47 PM
even the home-rotate reboot on the golden dingo PE update.zip file isn't doing anything, just getting to the four dots and cycling. what now? :(

Did you attempt a reset? Insert a paperclip into the reset port and push "GENTLY"...

nyCecilia
09-14-2011, 10:17 PM
there are two apps listed on andappstore by the name of z4root, one with a description of the history, another with no description at all; I chose the first one, it installed, but when run, after the splash screen my machine rebooted and now gets to the fourth dot, pauses and recycles back to the 4-dot boot screen :(

I'm guessing I did something that the others did not. :blink:

I got the one that was listed in the Amazon app store and didn't have this problem. Sorry! :(

teledyn
09-14-2011, 10:47 PM
As it turned out, the 'emusan' edition of dingo saved my skin, but for when I get up my courage to try again, could you post the file size of your version so I can compare the two versions on andappstore? I expect they are both the same as yours and it just collided with something else on my machine.

teledyn
09-14-2011, 10:52 PM
Yes, that's the first thing I look for on every device -- when the robopocalypse comes we will win because of our ready supplies of straightened paperclips ;)

nyCecilia
09-15-2011, 12:09 AM
As it turned out, the 'emusan' edition of dingo saved my skin, but for when I get up my courage to try again, could you post the file size of your version so I can compare the two versions on andappstore? I expect they are both the same as yours and it just collided with something else on my machine.

if you can explain how to do so I'd be happy to ;)

teledyn
09-15-2011, 12:36 AM
Good question! Um .. I just looked into it and if you use the es file explorer, if you hold the stylus down on the file to get the pop up, one of the items on the list is Properties, and on that screen there's the file size in bytes.

nyCecilia
09-15-2011, 02:28 AM
Good question! Um .. I just looked into it and if you use the es file explorer, if you hold the stylus down on the file to get the pop up, one of the items on the list is Properties, and on that screen there's the file size in bytes.

The real question is where do I find the file? (I don't have an sd card)

teledyn
09-15-2011, 05:00 PM
if you didn't save the downloaded apk file, then it's ok; I managed to get my gmail attached using the YouTube account hack, so I may be leaving well enough alone for the time being ... although I just noticed I no longer have any microphone services ... :)

but thanks for checking anyway!

nyCecilia
09-15-2011, 05:23 PM
if you didn't save the downloaded apk file

I would imagine that when I download it from the Amazon store, it ends up somewhere? In any event, if I happen to figure it out, I'll post the info. Glad you got it working!

teledyn
09-15-2011, 05:32 PM
spoke too soon, a cold reboot gave me back the mic, and I am one happy camper now, providing I don't get any more Great Ideas ;)

SusanGreen21
12-15-2011, 10:56 PM
I need help with this entourage.. My mom just got it. And she wants it upgraded and also since entourage is out of business.. I kind of really need help.. I dont know how to get past registration to be able to disconnect it from entourage.. I doubt I said that right.. But I rally need help ASAP!.. Mom needs it for college.. Please contact me fast as possible.. Thanx!!!

Filark
12-16-2011, 01:34 AM
Hi Susan! :)

You should find everything you need in the following link: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132878. If not, let us know! ;)

You can thank Obsessed2 for gathering that info! :D

vicinc
12-16-2011, 10:16 PM
I will rather suggest this thread
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159872
with rc3 (download the gaps, read the instructions insider the zip)
you will have fully upgraded with working market.