View Full Version : Can not log in to Moblieread from Ubuntu Linux

kacir
08-17-2007, 09:29 AM
I visit the mobileread site daily.
At work I use Windows XP and Mozilla engine based browser. I can log in without problems.

At home I use FreeBSD and various Linux distributions to browse the internet. About a month ago I started to have a problem with logging in. I type in name, password, click on "Save?" checkbox and clickk on "log in" button. After that I see a redirection screen saying something like " Thank You Kacir for logging in, you will be redirected ...." and then I am redirected, but I am NOT logged in.
If I delete all cookies originating from mobileread.com I CAN log in, but when I refresh the page or try to post a message I find myself logged off again.

I experience this problems on several independent systems from FreeBSD 6.0 Release (about couple of years old) with a quite old version of Firefox to the newest Ubuntu Linux with the newest and greatest incarnation of Firefox.

My cookies are switched on, and I have no problems with logging in to various other sites (like Groklaw).

Is there anybody out there succcesfully loging in from a non-windows machine?

Egghead
08-17-2007, 10:14 AM
Works fine with Safari 3 Beta on the Mac.

leandroide
08-17-2007, 11:21 AM
I visit the mobileread site daily.
I experience this problems on several independent systems from FreeBSD 6.0 Release (about couple of years old) with a quite old version of Firefox to the newest Ubuntu Linux with the newest and greatest incarnation of Firefox.

Is there anybody out there succcesfully loging in from a non-windows machine?

For me, it works perfectly with Firefox/2.0.0.6 using an up-to-date Ubuntu-feisty system. And it always had

L.

Alexander Turcic
08-17-2007, 11:47 AM
If I delete all cookies originating from mobileread.com I CAN log in, but when I refresh the page or try to post a message I find myself logged off again.

That is strange indeed. The only possible reason I can think of is that we switched in our cookies from www.mobileread.com to mobileread.com like half a year ago or so (to allow for the same login throughout various parts of our site, like the gallery). It's possible that you still have an old cookie somewhere left in your browser, although I doubt it since you said you deleted all mobileread.com cookies. Can you double check to see if there is really no cookie left before you try to relogin?

kacir
08-17-2007, 03:21 PM
That is strange indeed. The only possible reason I can think of is that we switched in our cookies from www.mobileread.com to mobileread.com like half a year ago or so (to allow for the same login throughout various parts of our site, like the gallery). It's possible that you still have an old cookie somewhere left in your browser, although I doubt it since you said you deleted all mobileread.com cookies. Can you double check to see if there is really no cookie left before you try to relogin?
Perhaps my browser is configured by default not to allow sites to read cookies set up by different sites. And mobileread.com is perhaps different from www.mobileread.com. At the moment I am using Mint Linux - a customized version of Ubuntu Linux

I am trying to correct the problem by whitelisting www.mobileread.com amd mobileread.com cookies, playing with cookies.txt file.
So far I can log in, but the behaviour is highly inconsistent.

For me, it works perfectly with Firefox/2.0.0.6 using an up-to-date Ubuntu-feisty system. And it always had

Perhaps it works for you because you have that half a year old cookie from www.mobileread.com still in your cookies.txt file

I suspect that an old cookie in my long used firefox installation expired or got deleted and I can not remain logged in.

Alexander Turcic
08-18-2007, 07:29 AM
kacir, please try to delete all www.mobileread.com cookies. They should no longer be created if you login fresh because we switched to the .mobileread.com cookie format.

It's possible that the old www.mobileread.com could interfere with the login process.

Good luck! ;)

leandroide
08-18-2007, 09:26 AM
Perhaps it works for you because you have that half a year old cookie from www.mobileread.com still in your cookies.txt file

L.

I don't think so. I made a fresh install when the stable version of ubuntu feisty was released, and this was 2007/04/19.

L.

Alexander Turcic
08-18-2007, 09:35 AM

I suspect that an old cookie in my long used firefox installation expired or got deleted and I can not remain logged in.

Actually it's the way around... having the old cookie still in your browser's cache could cause problems.