Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-13-2011, 11:06 PM   #1
Nicky4
Nicky4 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Red face Kindle customer service too good to be true!

So I bought a kindle a bout 3 months ago, then out of the blue i pick it up of my desk and there is a crack on the screen, all lines. A simple reset didn't help. It was cracked. It has been a total mystery to me as to how it happened. After contemplating for hours I finally though of the only possibility... my cat! I don't have no evidence but it is the only explanation.

So i rang up and said the screen was cracked, there are lines and general cracked screen shape to it. I told him i do not know how it happened sa it was on my desk! He asked me if i have dropped it or given it any force to which i replied no. I was expecting him to say "I'm sorry sir we do not cover accidental damage". Instead he says he has sent out a new kindle and it should arrive within 2 days! he has requested i send the broken one back.

This was good at the time, but now i am wondering if when i send the kindle back they will claim it has taken excessive mishandling... would they request the new kindle back, if that was the case?
Nicky4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:12 PM   #2
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
no, i don't think so. i like amazon's customer service
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2011, 01:17 AM   #3
Nicky4
Nicky4 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Wow so i just rang customer service again and im amazed that they wont charge me for the replacement kindle even if they believe it was mishandeld. I would say its a flaw in their warranty and a negative for them but a massive plus for me and other customers like me, so i wont complain. Man amazon are great, i thought id have to fork out another £111 for a new kindle.
Nicky4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:31 AM   #4
chamekke
Groupie
chamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
I've never had to return a Kindle but everything I've heard about Kindle Customer Service is glowing. Glad that you had such a positive experience.

I do think it's enlightened self-interest in part, not just selflessness, because if you're reluctant to buy an [expensive] replacement then Kindle/Amazon potentially lose a ton of book sales, if not your purchase of newer, shinier Kindle models in the future. Whereas this one act of generosity can ensure customer loyalty like nothing else! It's definitely a win-win for both Kindle and their customers.
chamekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:55 AM   #5
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
As I've said before, Amazon's customer service is only good if you happen to call them.

If you try contacting or dealing with them online, it's complete rubbish
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2011, 03:14 AM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky4 View Post
So I bought a kindle a bout 3 months ago, then out of the blue i pick it up of my desk and there is a crack on the screen, all lines. A simple reset didn't help. It was cracked. It has been a total mystery to me as to how it happened. After contemplating for hours I finally though of the only possibility... my cat! I don't have no evidence but it is the only explanation.
Hey, Don't Look At Me

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:11 PM   #7
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Kindle customer service too good to be true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky4 View Post

So i rang up and said the screen was cracked, there are lines and general cracked screen shape to it. I told him i do not know how it happened sa it was on my desk! He asked me if i have dropped it or given it any force to which i replied no. I was expecting him to say "I'm sorry sir we do not cover accidental damage". Instead he says he has sent out a new kindle and it should arrive within 2 days! he has requested i send the broken one back.

This was good at the time, but now i am wondering if when i send the kindle back they will claim it has taken excessive mishandling... would they request the new kindle back, if that was the case?
Wow!! I just called customer (actually they called me at my request, took one minute for the phone to ring after my request) service.

Last night a friend was coming over and I'd asked him for his input on what glue I should use to repair the split 5-way-switch on my kindle 2.

What happened was (I told this whole story to the customer service rep) about 2 or 3 weeks ago my 2 year old kindle 2 fell off a table (first time ever) and a week after that the 5-way-switch split into two parts. So I finally had an excuse to get myself a kindle 3 (the positive result of this accident). The Kindle 2 was still usable, but I had to be real careful when using the 5-way-switch or it would do something other that what I was trying to do.

My friend brought along some Gorilla Glue, but in our discussion he asked if I'd called customer support about the problem. I hadn't even thought of it as I'd figured that it was way beyond any warranty claims as it was purchased in early March of 2009.

So we didn't attempt a glue repair and this morning I was on the phone with Kindle customer service. He listened to my story and said that the situation was covered and I'd get a replacement on Saturday (two days). He sent an e-mail with a link in it to a web page with a return mailing label (prepaid UPS) and that when I received the replacement I had 30 days to put the damaged one in the packaging and send it to Amazon.

All I can say is WOW!!!

And now I can give the Kindle 2 to my wife.

WOW!!

Alan
Attached Images

Last edited by alansplace; 04-17-2011 at 03:01 PM. Reason: to add pic of damage
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:26 PM   #8
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
I also had a good experience with returning my K3 as the letters wore off the buttons after only a few months use. Had my new one the next day.
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:34 PM   #9
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
I've never had to return anything related to the Kindle, but I thought the way they handled the cover debacle was pretty spot on. I've also found their customer relations department to be pretty responsive (even if not all that helpful). I contacted Jeff Bezos at one point about the issue of publishers removing the text-to-speech from their e-books, and I got an e-mail and personal phone call from one of their executive customer relations people to discuss the issue. I was kind of impressed by that. I'm used to getting ignored (or at least getting bland form letters) when I send complaints to companies.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote