View Full Version : Barnes and Noble epub change


bionerd
04-13-2011, 08:06 PM
Hi, I am new to the boards. I have a sony ereader prs 600. I however usually by my books from Barnes and Noble. I have been using python to remove the DRM from my files so that I can read them on my sony reader. Recently I have discovered that barnes and noble has changed there epub files. They no longer have DRM. This should be a great thing, but its not. I can read them no problem on my computer, but when I put the books on my ereader the name changes for all of them to A and it tells me that there is a page error. The only thing that I have noticed besides the DRM that is different is that these files seem to not be compressed. I have tried using PKZip to compress them, but the reader doesn't recognize those files at all. I am at a loss here and was wondering if anyone else was experiencing similar issues.

KevinH
04-13-2011, 08:36 PM
Hi,
B&N still use DRM for most books but B&N has been improperly creating the epub archives (missing mimetype files, not properly compressed, etc) and that interferes with DRM removal making the IHeartCabbages python scripts fail sometimes. Also they may need to be converted by Calibe or Sigil to split the source xhtml file into smaller pieces so that they are less than 300K in size uncompressed to be properly read in older Sony eReaders.

You may want to ask on the Apprentice Alf blog in the comments section about the DRM issues.

bionerd
04-14-2011, 10:14 PM
Thanks,
I was able to use Calibe to fix it. It turns out the Metadata were incorrect. Getting the correct metadata page fixed the problem.