it didnt help
what are the other ways to connect to net on pocket edge
through bluetooth??//
or through usb ??
please help
http://cdn0.4dots.com/i/smiliestext/thankyou.gif

borisb
04-06-2011, 12:20 PM
You can download the update.zip using any computer by following the instructions here: https://www.entourageedge.com/support/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=236.

Note that this will give you the latest Dingo version.

To get the Ermine beta (which includes Android 2.2, aka Froyo), you need internet connectivity on your eDGe. If wifi doesn't work, then a USB-to-Ethernet connector will work. It needs to be a "StarTech USB2106S" adapter, like this: http://www.amazon.com/USB-2-0-To-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B001VKPZG2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1302106794&sr=8-1.

mgmartin74
04-09-2011, 09:54 PM
Sorry for being so dense, but I have looked all over the entourage site and this one, and I cannot seem to find the Ermine download. Can someone help me out here...and thanks in advance.

borisb
04-09-2011, 10:06 PM
Run the Store app on your eDGe and click the "My Account" link (log in if prompted).

The Ermine beta opt-in is displayed as a big red message at the top. Follow the instructions to confirm you want to receive the update.

Then run the Update app on your eDGe to download and install it.

At this time, there is no update.zip that you can download for the Ermine beta; you have to use the Store/Update apps.

jskrypek
05-09-2011, 11:42 AM
Is it worth upgrading to the Ermine beta. Has anyone experienced any problems with Ermine.

Filark
05-09-2011, 04:24 PM
From what I hear, the answers are yes and yes. :)

I haven't upgraded yet (lazy), but the consensus on the entourageedge.com forum seems to be that the Ermine upgrade improves speed and adds functionality. Some people have experienced problems -- browser crashes, problems waking from hibernation (more on EE than PE), green camera pictures -- but most people who have had to downgrade to fix something have upgraded again. You can read all about it in the Ermine forum at http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/forum.php. :)

Last_of_the_PEs
05-09-2011, 08:30 PM
You can download the update.zip using any computer by following the instructions here: https://www.entourageedge.com/support/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=236.

Note that this will give you the latest Dingo version.

To get the Ermine beta (which includes Android 2.2, aka Froyo), you need internet connectivity on your eDGe. If wifi doesn't work, then a USB-to-Ethernet connector will work. It needs to be a "StarTech USB2106S" adapter, like this: http://www.amazon.com/USB-2-0-To-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B001VKPZG2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1302106794&sr=8-1.

I downloaded the update.zip from the link you posted. Do you know if that is Dingo 1.13?

I can only get Ermine by doing the update from within the PE, right?

Filark
05-09-2011, 09:31 PM
Here's another link with the Dingo file: https://www.entourageedge.com/support/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=263&nav=0. It should be the same, but just in case . . . :)

As far as I know, you are correct in thinking you can only get Ermine from inside the eDGe (but I don't know much, so don't quote me!). :)

Last_of_the_PEs
05-10-2011, 01:22 AM
Here's another link with the Dingo file: https://www.entourageedge.com/support/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=263&nav=0. It should be the same, but just in case . . . :)

As far as I know, you are correct in thinking you can only get Ermine from inside the eDGe (but I don't know much, so don't quote me!). :)

Thanks. But what version is THIS one? Why doesn't Entourage label these things? The article is dated March 31st, 2011, so it would make sense for the file to be quite recent, but it'd be nice to be sure.

I'll check it's size against the other ones I have once it finishes downloading. I think it's coming through a modem somewhere!

ann264
01-05-2012, 05:02 PM
Hi,
My PE can't find the store. I'm on the internet but still no store open.

Filark
01-05-2012, 09:19 PM
ann264, are you looking at the app called Store? If so, that used to connect to the enTourage store which no longer exists. That app and a few others are no good now that enTourage is out of business.

If you download pablob's golden allmine to a computer and put it on a USB stick or a micro SD card you can install it on your PE (carefully following instructions). Be sure to backup any data and apps you have on there first.

Once you have successfully installed the update you should have access to the Google Android Market.

ann264
01-06-2012, 04:50 PM
Hi,

I read a lot and understand there are three different updates. Why not use the update from the manufacturer?

vicinc
01-06-2012, 07:06 PM
1. because the manufacturer is out of business
2. the pablob update has more storage for apps and other improvements
3. also you can access market (buy apps, autoupdate apps)
see thread for this update
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159872

Filark
01-07-2012, 02:37 AM
You can use the Ermine update that enTourage put out shortly before they shut down. You will have to download it from this forum and it is a beta release, as I'm sure you know by now! ;)

However, several very smart and helpful people have made improvements to the original. You can add the improvements piecemeal, use the Ermine beta as it is, or upgrade with pablob's Golden Allmine Ermine. The last choice consolidates several of the fixes and tweaks pablob, javese, ktwombley and others have developed -- as vicinc points out above. We are very lucky to have good people willing to share their skills and knowledge with our eDGe community.

Enjoy! :)

ann264
01-07-2012, 06:43 AM
Hi,

you talk about a Golden Allmine Ermine. But when I go to the site there are two diverend updates a Golden Ermine and a Golden Allmine. Whits one do you mean?

ann264
01-07-2012, 11:26 AM
I downloaded the Golden Allmine zip. Rename the file PE-GA-update.zip to update.zip
downloaded the other zip file and put it on a usb stick.
Followed the instucktion but the update did not run. Do I have to unzip the files first?
The PE started 3 times. Something was flickering in the right upper corner for a little while, then it says preparing USB storage, normal screen no backup data screen, nothing has happened. What do I do wrong? How does that updating screen looks like?

ivanjt
01-07-2012, 01:24 PM
First, what did you use to rename the files? If it was windows running in default mode you may have, in fact, update.zip.zip because windows hides the extensions to files unless you set it not to. This is a trap that many people fall into, not just with updating the PE.

You can check this by plugging the USB stick into your running PE and looking at it in the default file viewer - I'm not sure what that is in Dingo.

If it appears as update.zip.zip just rename it to update.zip and you should be able to update your PE.

Some people have reported problems with some USB sticks - especially large capacity ones but have managed to update by using another stick.

Filark
01-07-2012, 04:25 PM
Edit: I wasn't seeing the last page when I wrote this! Oops! I see you've gone ahead with the update: Good for you!! :D

Important: Open (unzip) the Golden Allmine file first. It contains 2 files, one with instructions and one that becomes your update.zip. (This is my understanding from reading about it. I've never done it myself.)

End edit. Original post below. :p

Sorry about that! :)

I mean the one in this thread: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159872. I may have called it by the wrong name :o. This is the version put together by forum member pablob, which includes earlier versions (Allmine by ktwombley and the original enTourage beta, as well as some of the enhancements developed by javese).

I've been reading posts in this forum and its predecessor since Nov. 2010 and I tend to forget how confusing it might all seem to a newcomer! Please keep reading and asking questions. It is possible to ruin your device if you leap before looking.

By the way, although I fully intend to upgrade to the pablob version (because I think it is better) I have yet to do it. My own Pocket eDGe is running the enTourage beta Ermine. There are others here who have never updated beyond Dingo and are happy with that. It's entirely up to you. If you are still having problems with your camera and email you have a reason to update beyond wanting the newer Android.

Best of luck! :)

ann264
01-08-2012, 06:44 AM
Here I am again.
Yes I unzipt the Golden Allmine file first. After reading and preparing the USB I intended to update but that went like i write before.
No dubble zip.zip. When I have a look on my USBstick it looks like there are sum programs unpacked. More diretories now like META-INF, system and LOST.DIR
The update.zip has now lots of new zips.
What do I do best? My USB-stick is 4gb.

vicinc
01-08-2012, 04:45 PM
do not unzip to meta and content. first zip is fine. use smaller 2gb or less USB or SD card.
if update fails will generate a log on the disk. please try again and report.

ann264
01-08-2012, 05:28 PM
I only have USB sticks from 256mb, this one is to small. The other one is 8gb so even bigger.
I can do the hole thing once again, but I'm not convinced that go better.
So I download the files again and try again.
There was no log file on the stick.
Can anybody tel me were to download the other zip file the grap something?

ivanjt
01-08-2012, 06:11 PM
I only have USB sticks from 256mb, this one is to small. The other one is 8gb so even bigger.
I can do the hole thing once again, but I'm not convinced that go better.
So I download the files again and try again.
Ann, if doing it again with the same USB stick does not work you could try the larger one. As I said before not all sticks work for some unexplained reason.

I don't know what it is like in Germany but here in France you can get 2 and 4 GB sticks for a few euro - in some shops they are given to you if you buy goods over a certain value, for example our printer consumables supplier put a handful in with our last order of toner cartridges.

Also some people on the forum have found they had to try several times before they made the upgrade work, again for unknown reasons.

The other thing is to hold down both buttons which usually means putting the PE on a table to be sure they are both held down with almost equal pressure. Also try holding them down longer than the usual recommended time - some PE's seem to need this.

vicinc
01-08-2012, 07:06 PM
any luck for a micro sd from a old phone?

Yivi
01-09-2012, 03:15 AM
Hi Ann264
Try this one
gapps.zip (http://cmw.22aaf3.com/gapps/gapps-hdpi-20101114-signed.zip)

ann264
01-09-2012, 09:33 AM
Thanks Yivi

vicinc
01-09-2012, 11:53 AM
did it work?

ann264
01-09-2012, 05:14 PM
Hi, yes yes it worked. I put the files on a other USB-stick (also 4gb) and it worked. I didn't do anything different from the last time.
My camera is working again. No error from K9 so far.
Have to get use to a verry different layout.
My next problem is how do I get rid of all that Google stuf. I don't want that. I also don't want to be followed by Google. It's all to pushie.
So how can I uninstal several things on my PE?

ivanjt
01-09-2012, 05:35 PM
As I said all USB sticks are not created equal ;)

Sorry I can't help with uninstalling google stuf - I don't have it on my EE.

ann264
01-09-2012, 06:05 PM
Another question. Is there an antivirus program for PE? Do you need that?

vicinc
01-09-2012, 07:24 PM
no need for av if you install from the market. if you install only from kosher sources no need of antivirus. what do you mean about google following you? titanium back can uninstall things but can break things.

Filark
01-09-2012, 09:55 PM
Is there an option to uninstall under Settings/Applications/Manage Applications for the applications you don't want? (Look under the "All" tab if they don't show under "Downloaded".)

If not, I'll bet you can redo the rc3 without the "gapps.zip". As I understand it, gapps is Google apps, which many people want. But I'm pretty sure pablob's upgrade will work without the gapps.

Anybody know if I am right about that?? :)

I installed an antivirus app, whether I need it or not. :p It is called Antivirus, by AVG, and I don't remember where I got it -- possibly from Android market through my husband's Galaxy Tab. ;)

Congratulations on getting the update to work!! :D

Yivi
01-10-2012, 03:51 AM
If not, I'll bet you can redo the rc3 without the "gapps.zip". As I understand it, gapps is Google apps, which many people want. But I'm pretty sure pablob's upgrade will work without the gapps.

Anybody know if I am right about that?? :)

Pablop's upgrade dosen't work correct without the gapps.zip. :chinscratch:

vicinc
01-10-2012, 11:23 AM
it does but market does not work.

ann264
01-10-2012, 02:06 PM
Hi,
Yes under Settings/Applications/Manage Applications - All I can see everything that is on my PE, but when I enter the uninstal butten is grey, not actif, so can't uninstal or do I have to do something else?
By the way, the menu is verry jumpy, not nice at all.

vicinc
01-10-2012, 03:14 PM
What google apps do you want to uninstal? I can take you trough uninstal procedure via Titanium backup.
install (via market, which by the way will not work after gapps uninstal) the Titanium backup. make a full backup on SD of all apps.
than you can start uninstaling whatever you want.
caveat. you can start experiencing issues if you unistal vital system apps.

pictishusa
01-11-2012, 01:55 AM
ok , first have to say thank you to all you techy savy people very smart. i need a step by step procedure of how to do the update to ermine. i have the zip file copied to my netbook ,just so you know im running windows 7 starter,
so do i need to unzip the file and then rename the file update.zip? and i will be downloading it to a thumb drive ,i know i will have to format it to fat32 and make sure the file copied to the drive doesnt have the extra .zip, ok so now what do i do?
im not real savy at this techy stuff so baby steps if you will
i know this has been hashed out a million times and im sorry for asking again, i think ive read to much my brains on overload at the moment :)

thanks so much
Dave

Filark
01-11-2012, 02:53 AM
Hi Dave! Are you using pablob's rc3 update from this thread? http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159872

If so, you will want to unzip the file and read the instructions contained within.

Good luck! :)

ann264
01-11-2012, 05:21 AM
Does anybody know why the uninstal butten by all programs by manage applications are not activ? Is something blocking this?

Vicinc, I will made a inventory what I want to delete.

vicinc
01-11-2012, 08:13 AM
because are system files and not supposed to uninstal. but it can be done. I do not understand what you have against google apps.
having access to market and gapps is very helpful especially in Germany where amazon market is not working.

Yivi
01-11-2012, 09:03 AM
It looks to me that you can uninstall all unwanted via Titanium backup.
Free download in the Market store.

vicinc
01-11-2012, 12:32 PM
this was my point. but why would you when you get the market working. is like getting your card downgraded. if you do not like a feature do not use. but is still there.....

ann264
01-11-2012, 02:38 PM
Hi, I am verry organised. Everything I don't use has to go. It will take space that I can use otherwise.

How do I get some apps I downloaded on my desktop or the page behind that?

Gerrye
01-11-2012, 02:51 PM
Instead of uninstalling the google apps, and killing the Android Market you can deactivate most of the Google functions in Settings > Accounts and Sync. This way you can preserve the important Google functions... be careful.... don't cut too deep....

Yivi
01-11-2012, 02:51 PM
You can put the files on your SD card or USB drive and install.

ann264
01-11-2012, 05:36 PM
Hi,

I installed the games I downloaded, but I want them on the first or second screen when you start your PE.

ann264
01-11-2012, 05:40 PM
Hi Vicinc,

This is what I want to get rid of; aiMinesweeper, facebook, Froyo Email, Gmail and Latitude.
I also would like to end my Googlemail account. I have enough of one email program that is funktioning perfectly.

What do you think?

ivanjt
01-11-2012, 06:20 PM
Ann, while I agree with most of your list, Froyo Email is part of the Ermine system install and, on my EE runs better than any other email program. I think vicinc can tell if it can be removed without harm to the system. The others should be removable without problems.

pictishusa
01-12-2012, 02:40 AM
Hi and to tell you the truth oi havent even received the pe yet so i dont know im just trying to get a heads up so if it is still running droid 1.6 i can try and update it , what is the pablob rc3 update? i am assuming the unit is completely stock but i guess i dont know for sure, is the pablob update needed before i can do the ermine update if it is factory ?
Thanks

ivanjt
01-12-2012, 10:56 AM
It is all very simple. If you get your PE in factory condition then it will have Dingo on it. From Dingo the upgrade is to Ermine - either the entourage released beta or, if you want the market, pablob's rc3.

To emphasise, pablob's rc3 is Ermine with additions and a few tweaks. You DO NOT need both.

If you want the market the you need rc3 otherwise standard Ermine beta will work.

ann264
01-12-2012, 10:57 AM
Hi pictishusa,

Why don't you read this thread from the beginning.

vicinc
01-12-2012, 07:19 PM
I think you need to keep the gmail, rest can be deleted. do backup first so can restore easily.

ann264
01-13-2012, 12:04 PM
Oké, I have downloaded the Titanium backup.

Be back soon.

pictishusa
01-13-2012, 12:23 PM
thank you, , would you be able to direct me to the pablob rc3 update? and im assuming by market you mean a application market? Is the pablob rc3 stable ?
again thank you for the help.

pictishusa
01-13-2012, 12:32 PM
ok sorry i see the rc3 update, same question though is it stable ? what does this update do differently than the ermine other that the market?
just curiouse.

Yivi
01-13-2012, 12:53 PM
ok sorry i see the rc3 update, same question though is it stable ? what does this update do differently than the ermine other that the market?
just curiouse.

Rc3 is Ermine with additions and a few tweaks. Please read this (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159872) you will get all the answers to your questions.

vicinc
01-13-2012, 05:56 PM
very stable.
ann i think froyo email is k9/
I could not install k9 until I remove it I think....

Mr-Fix-it
01-13-2012, 10:44 PM
This is my first post and I am at wits end..

I have a pocket edge I got on Woot. I can re-install Dingo on it-no problems. However after upgrading to any version of Ermine, the pocket edge reboots and keeps rebooting after it gets to the second dot.

I have tried re-running the upgrade and it goes into "Updating Software" just fine, but again after completion it reboots and keeps rebooting (loop). The only way to get the pocket edge to work again is to re-install Dingo. I have tried holding the buttons down until I see "Updating Software" but it still does the same thing.

What do I do? I have a second Pocket edge and that update worked the very first time, so I know the process I am using is correct.

Please help....

Mr-Fix-it
01-13-2012, 10:57 PM
Hi Ann264
Try this one
gapps.zip (http://cmw.22aaf3.com/gapps/gapps-hdpi-20101114-signed.zip)

I know that the update.zip file goes on the USB stick, however I don't understand about the additional file, do you place the entire file "gapps.zip" on the USB as well or do you unzip it and add the two unzipped files to the USB?

Filark
01-14-2012, 03:00 AM
Welcome Mr-Fix-it! I hope you can fix it -- your PE that refuses to update, that is.

As I understand it, you put the whole gapps.zip on the USB stick with the update.zip file. Are you using pablob's rc3 update? If so, have you unzipped his file? It contains instructions as well as the update.zip file. (Sorry if you know that already!)

Good luck! :)

ann264
01-15-2012, 02:51 PM
Hi, Vicinc, I understand I can backup with the Titanium Backup, but how does that help me with the deliting of some items?

ann264
01-15-2012, 02:53 PM
Another matter is; I put my windows email adresbook on the PE, but how do I get them in Contacts? I chose the vCards format.

Yivi
01-15-2012, 03:57 PM
Follow these steps to transfer your Microsoft Outlook contacts to Pocket eDGe:

1. Run vCard ImportExport application to export contacts to vCard file:
a) Select second task in wizard tasks.
b) Choose Outlook contact folder for export and in the second field choose a location to save the contacts to (can be your PE SD card).
c) Choose additional settings according to your needs.
d) Click "Finish" to complete the export.
2. Copy resulting vCard files from your PC to your PE SD card.
3. Go to your address book (contacts app), select "Contacts" tab.
4. Hit menu button to open the menu.
5. Choose "Import/Export" option.
6. Click "Import from SD card".

Yivi
01-15-2012, 04:00 PM
Hi, Vicinc, I understand I can backup with the Titanium Backup, but how does that help me with the deliting of some items?

In the Backup menue you'll find a uninstall button!

http://imagecdn.maketecheasier.com/2010/11/android-titanium-backup.png

vicinc
01-15-2012, 04:26 PM
if you mess something up you can restore!

ann264
01-15-2012, 05:36 PM
Hi Yivi,
I transfered the vcards to my PE, but when I hit contacts, menu, import/export and chose import from SD card the PE said Scanning failed (Reason: "No vCard file found") and they are on the SD card! I don't have an outlook contact folder but a Windows Mail adresbook.

Yivi
01-18-2012, 01:15 PM
Hi Yivi,
I transfered the vcards to my PE, but when I hit contacts, menu, import/export and chose import from SD card the PE said Scanning failed (Reason: "No vCard file found") and they are on the SD card! I don't have an outlook contact folder but a Windows Mail adresbook.

I don't have much experience with the Windows adressbook, never used. Do you have mail activated on your PE? Try to send a mail with the vCard attached to your PE. What's the extension from your vCard file? Xxxx.vcf ?

ann264
01-18-2012, 05:10 PM
Hi, Yivi,

Problem solved! I have put the file on the USB-stick I used for the update and it went alright. Everything fine. Deleted the files on the sd card who I transfered by documents to go.
So my PE does what I wanted it to do. Everything works fine now.
Only thing I wonder how do I get my library from the internal storage to the SD card?

Yivi
01-19-2012, 04:48 PM
Only thing I wonder how do I get my library from the internal storage to the SD card?

To migrate (move) your library to an SD card:
Select Settings.
Select Device storage.
Select Data storage device.
Select SD card. Make sure you have an SD card with sufficient space.
A dialog will open explaining the requirements for migration.
Confirm to continue.

//Yivi

ann264
01-25-2012, 08:36 AM
hello all helpers,

my ip adres is listed on a blacklist. now i have downloaded a program on my usb stick. how can i run this exe file?

Yivi
01-25-2012, 03:17 PM
hello all helpers,

my ip adres is listed on a blacklist. now i have downloaded a program on my usb stick. how can i run this exe file?

You can't run a windows file (exe) on android! Who has blacklisted your ip address :chinscratch:

Cheers, Yivi

ivanjt
01-25-2012, 06:26 PM
hello all helpers,

As Yivi says exe files don't run on Android. What is this exe file supposed to do?

I should ask how do you know your IP address is blacklisted and also is it the IP address given to you by your ISP? There are some scams about that tell you such things and want you to run some windows program that will turn your windows computer into a zombie part of a botnet.

If it is the IP from your ISP then you should contact their help desk first to find out what is going on. You should also run a virus scan from a bootable CD on your PC as it could well be infected.

ann264
01-26-2012, 07:50 PM
my email didn't send anymore and i got the error message that i was blacklisted. So i emailed throug hotmail to the helpdesk of my provider. They wanted me to download two files to scan for spyware. Althroug i emailed that i use android they send me files for windows to download, so i will email them again.
Something else, can anybody tel me were i can find the cockies on the pe and how to delete them? That's what my hotmail account ask me to do.
Everything is verry anoiing. we are for three weeks on Bali and tough the PE would be sufficent to keep in touch.

Filark
01-27-2012, 02:36 AM
What a bad time for your PE to misbehave, Ann! :(

What are "cockies" -- oh, do you mean cookies?? If so, open your browser, hit the menu button, choose "Settings" and scroll down the page. You will find a "Privacy settings" section that allows you to clear cache, clear history, accept cookies, and clear all cookie data. You can also clear form data and clear location access. Hmmmm. There are more security settings than I was aware of! I think I need to tweak my own settings a bit. Thank you for bringing this to my attention! :)

Have fun on your trip!! :D

ivanjt
01-27-2012, 04:48 PM
Ann, if you are not at home and are connecting to the internet through a different ISP then your e-mail problems may stem from that. For example, my ISP is Free and as long as I can connect to that network I can send e-mails through the e-mail app. If, as sometimes happens, I get connected through Orange I can not send e-mails because the settings are incorrect and the ISPs do not forward through e-mails and I get a warning that the ip is blocked - BUT I can connect and send e-mails through my ISPs web mail interface.

Maybe this is what you are seeing and you will have to use a web mail like hotmail or gmail or your ISPs web mail interface.

ann264
01-29-2012, 04:50 AM
yes, you are so right, that's what is happening. Thanks verry much, no worries.

Another question, how do i get my photo's from my camera to the PE?
Igot the cabel with me, but then what?

ann264
01-29-2012, 04:52 AM
I mean the cabel ofcours.

ivanjt
01-29-2012, 07:04 AM
Ann, you may have trouble transferring the pictures directly from your camera unless it presents itself as a mass storage device, in which case it would be the same as connecting a USB stick to your PE.

If, on the other hand, it is like my Nikon D50 and requires a program to transfer the pictures and has a removable SD card, then the quickest way is to get a USB SD card reader, plug the SD card from the camera into it and then use it like a USB stick on your PE.

The other thing is that your camera manufacturer may have an Android program that might work on the PE using the cable but older cameras don't have that option.