View Full Version : Pocket Edge price at Amazon

stjoe
04-06-2011, 10:13 AM
Saw on Amazon.com selling for $249.99 for the black color .. Red one still selling at $360+

Tempted and ordered the black one just now .. :)

sarah11918
04-06-2011, 10:36 AM
Nice! Well, if anything, it seems like our community is growing. :)

inkyfantastic
04-06-2011, 01:53 PM
There's a new PE selling on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/Entourage-Pocket-Edge-/140531932879?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b85b1ecf) for a Buy It Now prices of $199 plus $15 shipping. That's a steal!

stjoe
04-07-2011, 10:03 AM
Wow .. today saw the price of PE dropped further on Amazon.com

Now $226.95 ..

grumpy3b
04-07-2011, 10:15 AM
liquidation sales, maybe? get more cash before folding up their tent, hope not it's a neat device idea, both sizes.

borisb
04-07-2011, 12:45 PM
Price reduction to spur sales/get them into more hands? A batch where the costs were much lower due to economies of scale so they can lower the MSRP?

Batman Jr.
04-07-2011, 05:35 PM
Price at Amazon is now $199.95

Filark
04-07-2011, 07:40 PM
Awesome! No guarantee it will last. ;) I bought my PE for $327 after dithering on a Newegg price of $300 which went away just before I made up my mind. :(

I don't regret paying $327 for a fine device. Kinda wish I'd shelled out a little bit more for the EE instead. I would love to have the extra space (EE), but love the portability (PE). I'm watching ebay for a bargain EE now! :D

Dulin's Books
04-07-2011, 07:49 PM
grrr.... must not buy......:)

inkyfantastic
04-07-2011, 08:05 PM
Awesome! No guarantee it will last. ;) I bought my PE for $327 after dithering on a Newegg price of $300 which went away just before I made up my mind. :(

I don't regret paying $327 for a fine device. Kinda wish I'd shelled out a little bit more for the EE instead. I would love to have the extra space (EE), but love the portability (PE). I'm watching ebay for a bargain EE now! :D

Someone's selling theirs on the Forum for $100.

Filark
04-07-2011, 10:46 PM
I saw that!! :) Seriously thinking about it . . . . . . . ;)

stjoe
04-07-2011, 11:01 PM
woowww $199, just few days after I bought my PE at $249 ..

Gunnerp245
04-08-2011, 09:57 AM
Price at Amazon is now $199.95

Watching to see if they go lower, and may get a PE; for the heck of it.

janhall_us
04-08-2011, 10:44 AM
Got a "didn't like" Buy It Now deal on eBay on an EE yesterday for $160 (!!!) The deals are out there, you just have to be patient. I'd had the eBay saved search e-mailing me daily for a couple months before yesterday's steal. :D

Filark
04-08-2011, 06:34 PM
Congrats on your EE, janhall! I have ebay sending to me, too, but somehow missed that one. :( Oh well -- haven't convinced my husband yet that I "need" 2 eDGes! :p (Close -- he will come around. :))

About the $199.95 PE on Amazon: It is sold through the Amazon Marketplace by Worldwide Distributors, not by Amazon itself. The other Pocket eDGes listed on Amazon are at higher price points ($249-$349 roughly). I checked Worldwide Distributors' website. A search for enTourage came up with nothing, so I am guessing this is one vendor that (who?) has decided to sell off their stock and stop carrying the device. It is not a reflection of enTourage company pricing (I think).

So if you want 'em, grab 'em!! :D

stjoe
04-08-2011, 09:02 PM
i bought $249 for PE at amazon from tigerdirect ...

Gunnerp245
05-31-2011, 08:51 AM
Entourage Pocket Edge (http://www.amazon.com/Entourage-Pocket-Dualbook-802-11b-Android/dp/B0052Q1O9S/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1306846045&sr=8-13) 7" LCD / 6" E-ink Dualbook, 4gb Memory, 802.11b/g, Linux with Google Android (Black)

Price: $199.00

In Stock.
Ships from and sold by WorldWide Distributors.
Only 19 left in stock--order soon.

emusan
05-31-2011, 10:01 AM
Entourage Pocket Edge (http://www.amazon.com/Entourage-Pocket-Dualbook-802-11b-Android/dp/B0052Q1O9S/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1306846045&sr=8-13) 7" LCD / 6" E-ink Dualbook, 4gb Memory, 802.11b/g, Linux with Google Android (Black)

Price: $199.00

In Stock.
Ships from and sold by WorldWide Distributors.
Only 19 left in stock--order soon.

Lol I thought they had delisted it, I guess its back though. Maybe this is a good sign. I may have to bite on this, so I can have one to mess around with and one for normal use...

North19
05-31-2011, 11:48 AM
I'm guessing ebay prices will be shifting in the next few weeks. Those who really want one won't be able to get them anymore in stores, so the prices might go up for a bit, but then they should drop... at least I'm hoping so, so that I can pick up an extra EE battery cheap.

Last_of_the_PEs
05-31-2011, 09:25 PM
It seems the deal on Woot was really very good. I'm glad I took advantage of it, even with enTourage's demise.

If they'd had the EE for $200 I'd have bought that. I'd gladly carry the extra weight to get the larger screens, but I'm not dropping big bucks on a tablet until I see where the market is going, and that probably won't happen this year!

sarah11918
05-31-2011, 09:31 PM
Yeah, it's crazy how the EE prices haven't really come down. A few lucky people have found reasonable (but still not *cheap*) prices on eBay. While it's not as portable, the EE really is the pdf/journal workhorse of the two devices and was arguably worth full price at the time, when it was all full of promise, support and the like. As an EOL device? No way.

But I'm really glad so many of the Wooters seem to be happy with their PE purchases. It makes me think this device really did have a broader appeal than even we gave it credit for.

Filark
05-31-2011, 10:03 PM
I still believe it's one of the best ereaders out there. :)

garyhgaryh
07-16-2011, 10:14 AM
Where can I get an EE at a good price. I got the PE from woot and now want the bigger screen.

Thanks,
Gary

sarah11918
07-16-2011, 10:27 AM
Where can I get an EE at a good price. I got the PE from woot and now want the bigger screen.

Thanks,
Gary

Sadly, you'll be lucky if you can find *any* EE, let alone one at a good price. :(

I suggest setting a google alert (which will catch things like Kijiji listings or message board posts in the event someone's writing they have one available - that's how I got my Asus Eee Note), and an eBay alert to catch new listings.

I don't think as many of the larger sized devices were made, so there's not much of a supply out there.

Emmie
07-16-2011, 10:58 AM
I think EE's are still available here in the Netherlands... but not necessarily at a good price ;) the best I found was this one:

http://www.pdashop.nl/product/106270/entourage-edge-piano-black.html?utm_source=Zanox&zanpid=1527327207423611905

It's the same place I got my PE from. but you'll still pay €399.- for a black one. which is around $530.-
I bought my PE for €230.- which is around $300.-
electronic equipment tends to be more expensive here, sadly.

mokel22
07-16-2011, 07:16 PM

Thanks,
Gary

Watch ebay like a hawk if your serious, I got mine for $278 shipped then kicked myself in the butt when some sold for $170 shipped :eek: That being said, $250 is the average, you can get $300+ pretty much everyday and any lower than that -- jump on it quickly and resell it for profit :D

Pap at LKN
07-16-2011, 08:02 PM
I bought the eDGe from Woot.com for $119 a week ago. I was able to down load a few aps from the Amazon site, but that seems to have quit working. I joined this forum to see if I could get some help.

There was a preloaded YouTube app on the device, but I have not been able to get that working. I can see the name and picture from the clips, but will not run. Any help there would also be appreciated.

I am a just getting started in the "smart phone" stuff, still have a plain old cell from the 90's

Thanks

emusan
07-16-2011, 09:41 PM
I bought the eDGe from Woot.com for $119 a week ago. I was able to down load a few aps from the Amazon site, but that seems to have quit working. I joined this forum to see if I could get some help.

There was a preloaded YouTube app on the device, but I have not been able to get that working. I can see the name and picture from the clips, but will not run. Any help there would also be appreciated.

I am a just getting started in the "smart phone" stuff, still have a plain old cell from the 90's

Thanks

Hi there, are there any errors that pop up with the Amazon appstore? And the youtube app that comes on the device stopped working a few years ago... There are some alternatives, including the official one...

Filark
07-16-2011, 09:49 PM
Hi Pap, welcome! :) Welcome also to Emmie! ;)

Pap, you probably have Dingo (Android 1.6) running on your PE. Here is a thread started by someone with the same problems: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142317. As you'll read, those problems were solved by an update to Ermine (Android 2.2).

It seems to me that you can solve your problems without updating if you don't want to do it. The Amazon thing could be the same problem I ran into. I solved it by googling the exact phrase that popped up when I tried to start the Amazon Appstore app. I found it was a problem with Amazon and there were directions to solving it (which of course I've forgotten! :p).

The pre-loaded app should work, too. When you ask your eDGe if there's an update available, does it give you one? People have reported an update that seems to do nothing (i.e. it leaves them with Dingo (Android 1.6) which is what they started with. I'm wondering if it might improve things for you.

If your PE says it has the latest software I don't know how to solve your video problem without manually updating to Ermine (Android 2.2). If you decide to try that, there are instructions and problem/solution reports all over this forum. :) The simplest directions are here: http://armjam533.blogspot.com/2011/07/fun-with-entourage-pocket-edge.html and here: https://www.entourageedge.com/support/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=265.

Good luck! Let us know what works for you. :)

MasterTec
07-17-2011, 12:15 AM
I'm quite happy with my PE at $125 from WOOT but to be honest I think I'd be quite disappointed if I had spent $300+ for it. It's a fun gadget to play with and learn Droid basics with, and it'll come in real handy for my g/f's heavy reading during lunch at work but I don't plan on using it for anything real serious. It was a great price and a steal for this purpose though.

sarah11918
07-17-2011, 07:50 AM
I'm quite happy with my PE at $125 from WOOT but to be honest I think I'd be quite disappointed if I had spent $300+ for it.

Was it ever worth $300? I think maybe it was. I think those who are buying now are getting great deals, but also have to remember that you're going into it knowing it's a discontinued product.

If you owned (and loved, as most of us did and still do) a larger EE, then saw the smaller one announced, and still were full of hopes and dreams for the device/company, $300 was steep, but not entirely unreasonable. To see a second device launched actually gave the impression the company was moving forward, and I'm sure some bought the second machine at least in part to "vote with their wallets" and show support for the company that hadn't quite yet started to drop off the radar.

Maybe I'm just a little nostalgic as I sit here with my coffee on a Sunday morning, but I just mean to "defend" (if that's the right word) the original PE owners here. Although I don't have a PE, comparing it to the EE I can't imagine it being worth so little as $100 or $150, except for the fact that it's an end of life device. (And even then, it still has so much life left in it, people getting it for around $120 are really lucking out, I think.) At the time people were paying $300-ish for it, Entourage's current product was receiving software updates a few times a month, customer service was engaged (even if message board/development communication had already started to drop off) and devices were getting troubleshooting advice/repaired quickly and to standards that exceeded most people's expectations. There was little reason to think we weren't at the beginning (not end) of a great journey.

Anyway, go back to reporting the ridiculously low prices you're finding on your PEs. It actually makes me feel very pleased that the price is low enough that so many people are now able and willing to take the risk on purchasing them. Just because this product has been discontinued doesn't mean it can't still make a splash and turn heads, and maybe inspire someone to develop an even better product.

jclmaster
07-17-2011, 05:41 PM
I have been watching ebay for PE and edge sales. Some people must know entourage is out of business since they are pricing their sales really high!

remedy
07-18-2011, 04:56 PM
I picked up a pocketedge off of woot for $125 a few weeks ago and while I like the idea of the device I find the execution and build quality very lacking overall. At this point I'm refusing to sink any more money into it on cases or screen protectors simply because I don't feel that it's worth it. If I didn't have the market working I'd probably have returned it by now.

Before you decide to hate me though here is why:

I already owned a viewsonic Gtablet which costs $75 more than this thing on a good day. For that $75 however it came with a much larger, higher resolution, capacitive touch screen. This device also sports the much touted tegra 2 processor and is comparable to the ipad2 in most ways... except it only costs about $200 bucks.

Despite it's much larger screen and roughly 400% more processing power the gtablet still has twice the running time of the pocketedge on a single charge.

The Gtablet is also of much higher build quality, including a magnesium casing (as opposed to cheap hollow plastic), and is still smaller than an unfolded pocketedge in every dimension....

So ok - the PE sucks as an android tablet, but it's a good cheap ereader right?

Well not really. I also own a jetbook mini which I purchased (on sale I believe) for $50. This thing is small enough that I can slip it into my pocket and forget I have it altogether, and yet it's screen is only an inch smaller than the pocketedge's reader.

It is so very light and comfortable to use, I have great difficulty in making myself use the pocketedge.

As for battery life, well the AAA batteries it came with lasted more than a month under extremely heavy use. Since then I have not been reading quite as much and have switched to cheap rechargeables... I still get about 3 weeks before I have to swap AAAs.

The only real downside of the mini is it only reads Txt or FB2 formats, not that conversion is difficult at all.

I'm not even going into the difficulties and limitations the edge series has with software, but if you have other android or e-ink devices, you know how limited this one is.

To put it simply if someone were asking me for an recommendations on an e-reader or an android tablet, even at $120 this would not make my list for either.

sarah11918
07-18-2011, 05:07 PM
For that $75 however it came with a much larger, higher resolution, capacitive touch screen.

Sorry you don't like it and bought the wrong machine for your needs/wants.

The reason to buy this machine is for the combination of wacom and e-ink. The tablet (more specifically, the fact that it's an integrated second screen that does some other stuff to complement what you're doing on the e-ink wacom side) is the added bonus, not the point of the device.

No one is arguing this thing is perfect, or even sleek. But people who bought it for what it was specifically designed to do well are generally quite happy.

You're right, it shouldn't be a recommendation for "either an ereader or an Android tablet." The people who don't get it for what it was meant to do will be disappointed. Sounds like you're one of them.

If it works, put it on ebay and see what you can get for it. They do seem to be selling quite well, and you can probably even make a bit of money on it as you bought it at pretty much the super-low-sale price that isn't always around. And that's not a bad outcome! :)

emusan
07-18-2011, 05:09 PM
this device was clearly not made for someone who already has an android tablet and reader that they are perfectly fine with, but for someone who wants both in a relatively small package. You really shouldn't have been expecting the best of both worlds, but rather a mediocre experience from both(though I have found that the e-ink on the PE is far better in terms of refresh rate than most others on the market).

remedy
07-18-2011, 06:36 PM
this device was clearly not made for someone who already has an android tablet and reader that they are perfectly fine with, but for someone who wants both in a relatively small package. You really shouldn't have been expecting the best of both worlds, but rather a mediocre experience from both(though I have found that the e-ink on the PE is far better in terms of refresh rate than most others on the market).

You are entirely correct that someone with either a decent tablet or ebook reader probably shouldn't pay too much attention to this device, but for someone looking for an entry level into both technologies this is quite a deal at the $120 mark.

Sadly I am a bit of a gadget fanatic who feels like he needs to grab every interesting device that comes my way when the price is low enough. This is my 5th android tablet and 3rd reader so my perspective is more than a bit jaded. Considering it's initial price point however, I really did expect more from this one.

I will say this about the pocketedge though: it's sound quality and volume was far more impressive than I expected. The ability to orient the speakers in different positions helps to make it that much more effective.

ilovegadgets
07-18-2011, 06:48 PM
Even though I have a Kindle, Sony 350, dual boot Nook Color and iPad, I was intrigued by the Entourage Pocket Edge and bought one. I enjoy using it and even decided to buy my 73 year old mother one and believe that she will enjoy it also.

glow
07-18-2011, 10:42 PM
I have other devices, but the PE has extra versatility with the e-ink, wacom digitizer, etc., and I LOVE the form factor. There is something special about it!

maspears
07-25-2011, 12:01 PM
Bought a NEW pocket edge off eBay for 100.00 + 10.00 s&h. love a bargain. I really want a Asus see transformer/docking station. Someone already wants to buy the edge if I sell it.

garyhgaryh
07-25-2011, 01:05 PM
Bought a NEW pocket edge off eBay for 100.00 + 10.00 s&h. love a bargain. I really want a Asus see transformer/docking station. Someone already wants to buy the edge if I sell it.

great price. do they have any more?

I want to pick up a full size EE or an asus transformer - that's the tablet to get.
Gary

sarah11918
07-25-2011, 01:16 PM
I want to pick up a full size EE or an asus transformer - that's the tablet to get.

On Staples.ca, that $100 off tablet coupon works for the transformer, too. (At least they mention the transformer specifically on the splash page)

Never regret my EE, even more so now that they're so much harder to get.

maspears
07-29-2011, 02:14 PM
Garyhgaryh, keep checking eBay. The prices varies. As you know, It's a cat and mouse game.