Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-01-2011, 12:52 PM   #1
peartree
Enthusiast
peartree began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
Converting EPUB to MOBI - missing chapter markers

I've converted a few EPUB books from my local library to MOBI since I got my Kindle, and it's worked just fine in the past. The latest book I've converted doesn't have chapter markers, however. I also can't jump chapters by pressing left and right on the d-pad, although it did generate a table of contents. Is there any way I can get the chapter markers to show up, using Calibre or anything? Thanks.
peartree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:16 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
That particular library epub must not have a toc.ncx file.

You could open the original epub in Sigil and make sure it has (or create if it doesn't) an official table of contents--using the TOC Tool. Just having the html representation of a toc is not enough to create chapter markers when converting to mobi.

Then convert to mobi with Calibre.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2011, 02:06 PM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
What I do is check the forced TOC box in Calibre then add the correct regex to catch the chapter headings in the Level TOC 1 box. This will override any TOC that came with the original copy and have Calibre remake it correctly so you can have chapter navigation on the Kindle.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:19 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Even better!
Old 04-01-2011, 02:38 PM   #5
peartree
Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies. That sounds easy enough, except I'm not sure what regex is. What exactly should I put in that Level 1 TOC box?
Advert
Old 04-01-2011, 03:06 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

You'd need to look in the html source of the epub and see what tags and attributes are being used that will uniquely identify the chapter headers (usually <h1>, h2, h3, h4 or <div class="chapter"> and the like). Armed with that info, you can use the 'wizard' button to build the regex for you. You can use the Tweak epub feature (right click on the ebook in Calibre) to explode and explore the epub source. You won't need to rebuild the epub if you're just looking.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-01-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:29 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
You can also use the Search and Replace wizard in Calibre to view the coding of the book.
It's alot quicker then opening a bunch of html files looking for a chapter header.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:26 PM   #8
peartree
Enthusiast

Sorry, I'm still not totally getting it. I looked at the html source, and the chapter headings have both <div class="chapter"> and <h3>. The <h3> tags are inside the <div> tags, so does that mean <div class="chapter"> is the one I need? I tried entering both of those in the level 1 TOC box but I get a popup saying "Xpath expression is invalid."
Old 04-01-2011, 05:36 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I tried entering both of those in the level 1 TOC box but I get a popup saying "Xpath expression is invalid.
Just use the expression builder button to the right and select h3 from the drop down menu--instead of trying to create the expression yourself. For h3 the expression that the builder produces is:
Code:
//h:h3
The chapter divs would also work. The builder produces the following expression:
Code:
//h:div[re:test(@class, "chapter", "i")]
Old 04-01-2011, 06:00 PM   #10
peartree
Enthusiast

Ah, success. It's pretty simple once you actually know what to do. Thanks!
Old 04-01-2011, 06:02 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Not a problem.