View Full Version : Check in

Gunnerp245
03-31-2011, 10:16 PM
I thought it would be interesting if edge forum members were to stop and say hello.

Hello from Gunner :D

HardBall
03-31-2011, 10:35 PM
I thought it would be interesting if edge forum members were to stop and say hello.

Hello from Gunner :D

Hello, the great Gunner; always thought that you might show up here. :thumbsup:

pat.indie
03-31-2011, 10:58 PM
Hello there Gunner..

Augaire
03-31-2011, 11:22 PM
Hi there. Depressed as hell about the lifespan of my favorite tool. Checking in before heading to Vegas to drown my sorrows.

Augaire

Augaire
03-31-2011, 11:23 PM
Hi there. Depressed as hell about the lifespan of my favorite tool. Checking in before heading to Vegas to drown my sorrows.

Augaire

Filark
04-01-2011, 04:23 AM
Howdy! :)

Isn't it a good sign that the Ermine beta is out? Was there bad news announced, too, other than Snow's leaving? (Which is very sad. :()

I'm still getting to know (and very much enjoy) my Pocket Edge, so hoping for some form of the company sticking around! :bookworm:

beachwanderer
04-01-2011, 06:17 AM
Check in. :( ("pirx" at the other place)

thorne
04-01-2011, 07:19 AM
At Filark...

optimistically, i'd like to think the same, but it doesn't look pretty right now.
I'm even more afraid now because the entourage store is closed, so i'm nor sure where to pick up a spare/replacement battery.

thorne
04-01-2011, 07:20 AM
At Filark...

optimistically, i'd like to think the same, but it doesn't look pretty right now.
I'm even more afraid now because the entourage store is closed, so i'm nor sure where to pick up a spare/replacement battery.

sarah11918
04-01-2011, 07:44 AM
Just saying hi in the new thread. Glad people are making their way here.

STL Droid
04-01-2011, 11:04 AM
Hello all,
Glad that we are still able to talk about our favorite product.

Quick question, has anyone seen ermine as an update.zip file? I worry that id entourage site goes down, people who haven't yet heard may not get access to the ermine beta.

STL Droid

sarah11918
04-01-2011, 11:28 AM
I'm hoping it will be up for at least a few days, as I have a crazy weekend ahead of me and can't play with the machine until next week. At least most reports seem to be positive.

STL Droid
04-01-2011, 11:51 AM
I understand from the emails that I have seen, I may be wrong, that Ermine seems to look better on the PE? The issue with wide apacing of icons, huge images and pages that bleed out of the framde are an EE issue not PE?

Please correct me if I am wrong.

ken_jennings
04-01-2011, 11:59 AM
Stopping by, saying Hello.

glow
04-01-2011, 01:49 PM
Hail hail, the gang's all here!

lesliesch
04-01-2011, 07:25 PM
Hi :)

Gunnerp245
04-01-2011, 09:51 PM
I do not think there will ever be an official ermine release, just the Beta. Sort of a good bye present. Though if there was a SDK some great developers would likely make it useable. The Irex 800 is 'enjoying' this to an extent.

tjdean256
04-02-2011, 09:26 AM
Checking in

td

Dr. T
04-02-2011, 12:05 PM
Hi Everyone

ivanjt
04-02-2011, 12:52 PM
Hi, I'm here as well.

LoneKiltedNinja
04-02-2011, 02:00 PM
If nobody really knows me on the Entourage forum yet, am I still allowed to sign up here? ;)
Anyway, glad to see the community is strong enough to preemptively self-organize elsewhere under duress even if the company isn't!

Gunnerp245
04-03-2011, 11:51 AM
Welcome all! Mobileread is where I initially found out about entourage.

inkyfantastic
04-03-2011, 01:31 PM
I'm jumping on the exiled bandwagon (alex_edge over in the forums).

paula-t
04-03-2011, 03:18 PM
Hi! How are you all?
Is this bar less expensive than the other one? Somebody should develop an "automatic rerouting" so that all the messages at the EE forum come down here :)

I am very happy with Ermine so far. I only had a minor issue with only one instance of hybernation which did not activate using Menu key and I had to reboot. Most of the applications for Android 2.2. which I have tried were successfully installed (except for eBuddy and Angry Birds in any version, from 1.0 to 1.5). I have read some of you could install it, but maybe I have to redownloaded from other sites.

As I don't live in America, I cannot use certain sites, so I use alternative URLs.

Froyo Mail works very well, though you need to reinstate the accounts.

The default Browser included is much improved, with back and forward arrows, though I am trying Xscope 6.43 and Dolphin HD. I am also using Opera 11 for testing, and, as I said in another post, I tried to install Firefox for Android unsucessfully, apparently because they have developed it for ARMv7, which I think EE does not have.

I also said at the EE forum that the latest Repligo runs very smoothly now, with PDF annotation capabilities in the Tablet side. I have used it with good results.

I will keep posting reports about apps for 2.2. which I am testing under Ermine.
Glad to meet you here.

Dcubed
04-05-2011, 01:10 AM
I don't have Ermine, yet. EE is not locating my WiFi and I'm not sure it'll work anyhow. The last time I tried to access Update, all I could get was an error message. I think that The Great Firewall is blocking the EE from access the site. Will an air card work for a connection? My hubby has one from work. It wouldn't solve the blocked site issue, if that is still there. (I've had sites blocked at one time and not at another).

Any advice? I have opened a ticket.

Qwill
04-05-2011, 09:56 AM
Hi There,
I'm here too with my Pocket eDGE !

Gunnerp245
04-05-2011, 06:18 PM
I don't have Ermine, yet. EE is not locating my WiFi and I'm not sure it'll work anyhow. The last time I tried to access Update, all I could get was an error message. I think that The Great Firewall is blocking the EE from access the site. Will an air card work for a connection? My hubby has one from work. It wouldn't solve the blocked site issue, if that is still there. (I've had sites blocked at one time and not at another).

Any advice? I have opened a ticket.

Are there any free wifis near you? Starbucks, McDonald's, Liners bread...

stjoe
04-06-2011, 10:23 AM
Hi All,

Just ordered Pocket Edge after I saw Amazon selling it for $249.99.

Can I check how you guys update the PE to have Ermine?

Is it auto update by just turning on WiFi or need to do something else?

Thanks

borisb
04-06-2011, 12:15 PM
Run the Store app and click the "My Account" link at the bottom of the page. You may need to log in first, but then you'll see the beta message on your eDGe. Follow the directions to first opt-in and once you've done so, run the Update app on your eDGe.

Note that the Ermine beta is not an automatic update because it's a beta.

stjoe
04-06-2011, 10:19 PM
Thanks borisb

Can't wait to get hold of my new PE :)

Hope there is still future for our Edge

Franky
04-10-2011, 11:36 AM
Hi youall..

I came here a year ago because of my IREX (R.I.P.) DR800SG. Also a fantastic device, but only eInk.

I'm still not convinced I should upgrade with this Beta version. I'm still pondering..
It could be the last act of Entourage. Just to have it, I downloaded the file and I think I can upgrade any time now. But like I wrote, I'm not convinced to do it. It's just a Beta version.

sarah11918
04-10-2011, 12:54 PM
pondering..

It doesn't *feel* like a beta version to me. I was really hesitant to upgrade to, since I know what beta means. But I'm glad I did. The EE is lightening fast now and I haven't noticed any problems.

To be honest, as I was debating whether or not to upgrade to the beta, I was more concerned about being stuck with 1.6 indefinitely and not being able to keep up with apps than being stuck with a beta version of Android. So that's something to consider, too.

CharlieBird
04-10-2011, 01:17 PM
Ready to punch the Add to Cart button on Amazon's deal on the PE when I thought to check the MR enTourage forum. Now I'm hesitant after reading this:

Quick question, has anyone seen ermine as an update.zip file? I worry that id entourage site goes down, people who haven't yet heard may not get access to the ermine beta.
STL Droid

and this:

At Filark...

I share Sarah's sentiment about being stuck w/1.6 indefinitely and don't think I will buy it if I can't get the Ermine/Froyo beta. Is there another place to purchase a replacement battery or is that not something to worry about?

Looking forward to comments from you devotees.
d

sarah11918
04-10-2011, 03:53 PM
Charlie Bird, I wouldn't worry quite yet. I would consider buying now to be safe in terms of having enough time to receive the PE and upgrade it.

If you're concerned, you can always contact Entourage directly and say you're this close to pressing "Buy" but need to know that you'll have access to the Ermine beta. You probably also will have enough of a return period with your device to be able to send it back if by some chance (which I honestly think is quite small) you get the device and then can't receive the update from Entourage.

My recommendation, if you've decided you already want it and are just worried about this one issue alone, is to buy. But that's just me. :)

Filark
04-10-2011, 06:07 PM
Also, it's not true that the enTourage store has closed. They took down the accessories page, and are not now selling their devices direct, but they still sell ebooks, textbooks, apps (mostly free), and music. The apps are download-to-your-eDGe only, but the books can be purchased by anyone (pdf and epub)!

Which of your devices do you read on? I have (and love) a Sony PRS-900 but find myself reading on my Pocket eDGe because I can look things up in more ways while I read, and take time out to make a note or play a game of solitaire or browse the internet if my interest in the book I'm reading lags. :p

I have yet to install Ermine, and 2 months down the road I am still learning how to use my eDGe, but it has successfully wormed its way into my life. :)

Let us know what you decide!

sarah11918
04-10-2011, 06:30 PM
No, they haven't closed, but we are preparing for the possibility they won't be around for years (even months?) to come. So it's only fair to warn a potential buyer.

I missed your question about the battery, too. The PE does not have a user-replaceable battery, so that's not a concern for you. Only the full sized EE has a removable battery.

As for a stylus (you didn't ask, but the other accessory you need be concerned about), there are several other brands of styli that do work with the PE and EE, in case you ever lost your stylus and couldn't find a replacement.

CharlieBird
04-11-2011, 01:50 PM
Changing my mind every 15 minutes! The tempting thing for me, Filark, is the ability to look things up in more ways while reading—use the dictionary regularly and read a lot of history so I'm always looking things up on Wikipedia. The negative is that I'm so intrigued by Android that hours fly by fiddling when I could be reading and fear that many more hours would pass getting acquainted w/the PE. I already have a bunch of questions I was going to ask but decided to wait until/if I get it. For instance, Sarah, I didn't know about the irreplaceable battery, but that really doesn't give me pause. I do remember reading, but had forgotten, about the special stylus when I first got interested in the eDGe before the PE came out. I downloaded the manual and checked the apps (not very impressive those) and noted that you can load books from Calibre which, I think, means you can read hacked DRM books converted to ePub.

I so looove my QT7 (only build 2.1) that I plan on upgrading to a new tablet running Honeycomb.

I read on the Sony (haven't opened the K3 in a couple of months) but mostly on the QT7. I like the CoolReader app and Aldiko and I do not like Sony's Reader Library mess. I've never been able to figure it out. Also wonder if it would painful regressing to the original e-ink technology after using Sony's Pearl.

Well, I guess if keeping going maybe Amazon will sell out and I won't have to make a decision!
Thanks to you both...another pro for the PE is the community support.
d

sarah11918
04-11-2011, 02:01 PM
I downloaded the manual and checked the apps (not very impressive those) and noted that you can load books from Calibre which, I think, means you can read hacked DRM books converted to ePub.

Just pointing out that you're not limited to the apps from the Entourage site.

(You mention you "checked out the apps" - just wanted to make sure you didn't think you were limited to those! You're only limited to whatever you can find outside of the official Google Android marketplace and whatever works on your current version of Android OS on a device that's not actually a phone.)

Most of us get our apps from the alternative markets like SlideMe etc. (On the EE forum, we have several of these listed)

And yes, you can use Calibre as you suspect. :)

Filark
04-11-2011, 10:46 PM
Changing my mind every 15 minutes! The tempting thing for me, Filark, is the ability to look things up in more ways while reading—use the dictionary regularly and read a lot of history so I'm always looking things up on Wikipedia. The negative is that I'm so intrigued by Android that hours fly by fiddling when I could be reading and fear that many more hours would pass getting acquainted w/the PE.

That's a negative?? :p
It's true. I've spent a lot of time exploring my PE, browsing for apps, and slowly learning all the cool things the eDGe can do. Just yesterday I figured out how to quote from an epub and send it as a pdf email. Then my husband asked if I could quote from multiple books in the same document and I opened Docs to Go for the first time and made (and emailed) a Word document with quotes from 2 of the books in my PE library. One of the reasons the device appealed to me is that I share books with my Mom (I gave her my older PRS-600) and I sometimes like to send her snippets of books I'm reading.

Don't forget for your history reading you can look up maps and have them open next to your book. ;)

About the regression from Pearl: I imagine how much it bothers you would/will depend on how much you like the extra features you've traded it for. :D Maybe make sure you can return the PE and see for yourself (would be nice if the eDGes were in stores . . . .).

ZombieEatsYou
04-12-2011, 10:14 AM
[QUOTE=Filark;1488546]Don't forget for your history reading you can look up maps and have them open next to your book. ;)QUOTE]

That statement right there may have clinched it for me. I'm a military historian and NOTHING beats having a map at hand when reading about a campaign.

Filark
04-12-2011, 02:53 PM
Hi Zombie! :)

I feel compelled to tell you that maps on the Pocket eDGe seem a bit small and fiddly to me. Maybe I just don't have the best apps or internet pages. I know the PE is a bargain right now, but if you can afford it you might prefer the 10.1" LCD with 9.7" e-ink of the full-sized enTourage eDGe -- especially if you read mostly at a table or with a lapdesk or book pillow (i.e. stationary).

If you do get an eDGe, people here and at http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/forum.php can advise you on where/how to pull up and store the best maps.

Good luck! Hope to hear more from you! ;)

ZombieEatsYou
04-12-2011, 04:14 PM
Others had mentioned the EE was much better for PDFs and since I get a LOT of 19th century books, mostly PDF, off google so I pulled the trigger a couple of hours ago and got the 10.1" from J&R. With my Amex rewards it's only costing me $345. Not bad considering I paid $300 just for my PRS950. Should get it sometime in the middle of next week.

Filark
04-13-2011, 01:12 AM
Congratulations, Zombie!! :)

As long as you can handle the learning curve and are not expecting a skinny metal case, I bet you will love your eDGe! You got a bargain price from a good vendor, too! ;)

:sunny:

ZombieEatsYou
04-13-2011, 04:51 AM
Congratulations, Zombie!! :)

As long as you can handle the learning curve and are not expecting a skinny metal case, I bet you will love your eDGe! You got a bargain price from a good vendor, too! ;)

:sunny:

Thanks. I'll be fine. I'm an old techie; early adopter, build my own computers, etc.
Got a tracking update from J&R, should be delivered today! I forgot how fast they were.

5thWiggle
04-14-2011, 07:40 AM
I've been here for a little while already as well as <Conspiratorial Whisper> lurking </Conspiratorial Whisper> in the Entourage forums. Bit the bullet and got a PE last friday. Love it, love it, love it! Took it to Staples yesterday while shopping for a sleeve that would fit and converted half the tech staff despite all the promotions for the incoming BB Playbook :devilish:

Z3r0r3aD'/
04-14-2011, 05:55 PM
agh!! I am this close to buying the PE on amazon. price is still holding at 200. still nervous. i just found out about entourage from my school bookstore. the other day. they sell the EE with a huge markup. but it caught my eye, so i started doing research, found out about the PE got excited about it, now the company might be going on under! i better just click buy huh?

ZombieEatsYou
04-14-2011, 06:43 PM
You can get the EE for around 460 (or 340 w/Amex rewards points like I did) at several places. It's not as small as the PE, but once you see a PDF on a 9.7 inch screen...

Whichever one you choose, go ahead and update it to 2.2 and enjoy it as long as it and the company lasts. Heck, it'll be obsolete in 2 years or less anyway so it won't matter.

Filark
04-14-2011, 07:33 PM
5thWiggle -- Congratulations, and way to go! ;) Do they still sell the PE at Staples (through their website)?

Z3r0 -- I know how you feel! I got excited about the EE when I first read about it. Took me a year to get my PE (I'm not a student and I didn't "need" one :p), with lots of reading and forum-lurking in between. Hope your wait isn't as long, and that you like it (either size!) if you get one. :D

Zombie -- It sounds like all is okay in your world. No regrets??
(By the way, have you signed in to the entourageedge.com forum? Sure would like to see you there . . . <wink, wink, nudge, nudge> . . . ) :rofl:

ZombieEatsYou
04-15-2011, 05:15 AM
Zombie -- It sounds like all is okay in your world. No regrets??
(By the way, have you signed in to the entourageedge.com forum? Sure would like to see you there . . . <wink, wink, nudge, nudge> . . . ) :rofl:

No regrets. I do have the "won't wake up out of hibernation" problem some others have but it's not a huge deal yet.

I have been lurking over at the edge forums just haven't register yet. Will do today.

CharlieBird
04-15-2011, 04:17 PM
Two quick questions. The HD storage is 8, 4 and 3GBs? I've seen all three in various reviews/videos. Can you turn pages w/the stylus or only w/the buttons? Oops, three and four: is there a consensus on a light for the PE? for screen protection (my QT7 is getting some marks I attribute to the restive touch screen)?

Oh, and... I punched the Amazon BUY button!!

The positives simply outweigh the negatives and my whole life seems to be a "learning curve" anyway.

Even considering the bigger display for maps the EE is just too big for my needs. I really like the 7" screen on my Android device.

As Zombie says, it'll be obsolete (as will I) in two years or less. Haven't lurked the eDGe forums yet but will join this evening. If reflective of this forum...wow! another pro.

Thanks all. Be checking in soon.
d

sarah11918
04-15-2011, 04:38 PM
Can you turn pages w/the stylus or only w/the buttons?

Can't help you with HD because I have an EE and don't know about PE, but yes, you can turn pages either with the stylus by taping the on screen menu at the bottom of the page (in Reader or Journal mode) or with the hardware back and forth buttons.

sarah11918
04-15-2011, 04:39 PM
Haven't lurked the eDGe forums yet but will join this evening.

Oh, man... are you in for something. :)

You'll find light/screen protection posts a plenty there.

borisb
04-15-2011, 04:51 PM
The HD storage is 8, 4 and 3GBs? I've seen all three in various reviews/videos.

Does "HD" means "hard disk"? The Edges both have 4 GB internal flash memory, of which 3 GB is accessible to the user. Both accept SDHC (standard and micro) SD cards for up to an additional 32 GB storage. You can also plug in USB memory sticks and external USB hard drives.

Filark
04-15-2011, 07:16 PM
Woohoo! Grats, CharlieBird! I was wondering what you had decided. :)

If you mean while using the e-ink side for reading, not only can you use the stylus in the ways Sarah mentioned, but you can also drag a percentage slider across the bottom of the page, or tap the # symbol and tell it to go to a certain page (just like the Sony Reader).

If the book is in your eDGe "library", you can tap the info symbol at the top of the page which will open the table of contents on the LCD side. The ToC (probably not available for some books, but so far all mine have had one :)) has icons across the top that you can tap -- with finger or stylus -- to see where all your notes, highlighted sections, and attachments (e.g. web URLs) are in that book, as well as giving you chapter headings that will take you to the start of those chapters.

Good luck, enjoy, and don't hesitate to ask if you have questions. :D

CharlieBird
04-15-2011, 11:34 PM
Took me a year to get my PE (I'm not a student and I didn't "need" one :p), with lots of reading and forum-lurking in between.

Thanks, Filark. I thought I was inordinately indecisive but I don't think I've ever taken a year to make up my mind. :smile: Really looking forward to 'unboxing' my PE.

Borisb, yeah, I did mean hard disk, and I just saw on Wikipedia—as you say— 4GB, with 3GB user available. But the problem w/SD cards is you have to have root and then a program for moving Apps to the SD card. I've never been able to get an app-moving program to work on either my QT 7 or my Android phone even though I have super user capability on both. Still three GB is okay for my limited usage of apps. Much more than my QT has.
d

borisb
04-16-2011, 10:43 AM
The Ermine update included Android 2.2 (Froyo), which we thought would give us the ability to install apps to the SD card. The option is there, in fact, but users are reporting it doesn't actually work.

I have a ton of apps installed, and still have about 1/3 of my app storage space (a total of about 322 Mb I believe) free, but some users are running out. Must be what app you install.

The main limit of the 3 GB is actually book storage in the Library. If you have a lot of PDFs, you may run out of space. When this happens, you can migrate the Library storage from internal to an SD card - opening up 32 GB of Library storage. Note that you should not add videos, music or images to your Library as this is not necessary to access to them; it is only necessary to add an item to the Library if you wish to create a link to it in an EPUB or PDF.

CharlieBird
04-16-2011, 03:34 PM
Well, well, that is interesting because most of the app-moving programs specify 2.2. Both my devices are 2.1 and I've only found one program that "supposedly" works w/2.1, but works with neither of mine.

But it sounds like I'm in high cotton because even though my apps tend to be MB heavy I usually have very few books in my Library at one time, have probably a total 6 or 7 PDFs, seldom load music or video and would probably not link to them anyway.

Seems I'm in for a fine time with my PE. You have one of each and no other reader? Student?
d

borisb
04-16-2011, 04:08 PM
I'm a software engineer :) I wasn't interested in ereaders until I saw the 10" eDGe.

Dr. T
04-17-2011, 07:50 PM
... I have an EE and don't know about PE...

Yet.

You'll break down and get a PE soon enough ;)

Filark
04-17-2011, 10:42 PM
I'm a software engineer :) I wasn't interested in ereaders until I saw the 10" eDGe.
:thinking2That's funny! I was only marginally interested in tablets until I saw one combined with an ereader. :p

ZombieEatsYou
04-18-2011, 09:18 AM
Being able to select a PDF picture (map, etc.) and send it over the the tablet side in full color and zoom it in and out is worth the price of admission right there.

sarah11918
04-18-2011, 09:09 PM
Yet.

You'll break down and get a PE soon enough ;)

But so far the force in me is strong... ;)

szegan
04-24-2011, 09:06 AM
Hello mates! :-)

Btw., the EE website is currently not available...

borisb
04-24-2011, 09:42 AM
It is now...

sarah11918
04-24-2011, 10:07 AM
Hello mates! :-)

Btw., the EE website is currently not available...

I always have a mini-panic attack when I notice this. But so far, it has always come back. :) (It's up for me, too.)